Looking into a gaming headset

Lately, something I've been wanting to pick up is a gaming headset. I've been looking at a few of the options, and noticed that a lot of them are really limited in what they can do. So right now I'm looking into probably getting the Astro A30s + MixAmp, mainly because of complete cross platform + headphone jack. Another great this is to have the MixAmp in case of any other future headsets. It's also good that the price range isn't completely unrealistic and is less than 250$

I'm not completely set though, and have heard great things about a few other headphones though (Tritton 720s and Turtle Beach HPX/X1s), and wondered if anyone has any experience/personal bias towards certain headsets. Any and all help is appreciated.

edit - most use of these would be console gaming

Turtle Beeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach!!! I have a cheap set but they haven't let me down. Though changing the volume on mine is weird I don't know if that issue is still there with the more expensive models.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I guess you're thinking more for consoles than PC? For PC, the suggestion I hear most often is to go with a good set of headsets (a nice pair of Sennheisers for example) and then get a $5 - $10 clip-on mic.

Yeah, the general bias is towards consoles Firestorm. However, I've seen a few people praising the sound quality of Sennheisers on different forums, but have just been too worried about having to make a mic mod or anything to be able to work over XBL and PSN voice chat.

i've used a couple of headsets, and i'de recommend Turtle Beach X1s if you're fine with something that might irritate your ears after excessive playing. it's a cheap model, and it works well for the price. if you want something with a little more bang behind it, X31s are great; they're comfortable and work very well. and if you're crazy, like me, get them Astro A40's. they rape.

the mixamp of the A30's and A40's puts them above the others in terms of overall use, but since you said this is mainly for console gaming, X1's and X31's work just fine for hearing things like footsteps/ reloads. if you play mw2/ cod4, X1's don't work very well for hearing Ninja Pro/ Dead Silence though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)