Monotype Looking for help with my Monotype Steel Squad

Hi! Looking to get some feedback for my Mono Steel Team (Pokepaste Here) I've played with it a bunch at the moment and have been making changes here and there and been kind of hanging around 1200 on Showdown, so it feels like its doing pretty alright. Logic for each member:

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Klefki's been a great lead in general. Setting up Screen/Spikes and then hitting whatever they have with Thunder Wave has been pretty effective, and caused at least a few people to rage quit due to TW luck. I originally had Reflect as well instead of Foul Play, but felt like my team was defensively bulky enough already and that Taunt was absolutely destroying Klefki whenever it happened. I typically set up a Screen, Thunder Wave my opponent, and then start setting up Spikes if allowed; other than that, Klefki hasn't had much purpose, honestly. I'm considering swapping Light Clay for Leftovers at this point to give it some sustain alongside its great typing, but not sure if that's entirely worth it.

Bronzong @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Heatproof
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Psychic

Without Heatran around, Bronzong's been my only real counter to fire types. Levitate was nice, but I already have Corviknight to fade ground attacks, as well as Scizor who at least takes them neutrally. Heatproof+Rain Dance honestly makes incoming fire attacks pretty pitiful, and can jank people out pretty well. The Weakness Policy has felt useful, since switching in to an incoming fire attack and then returning with an Earthquake can deal some pretty serious damage. It's worked pretty well against the occasional fire type on an enemy team, although Mono Fire teams typically wear it down since he doesn't have access to recovery without Leftovers. They can also just switch in Torkoal to remove rain, which is a problem. The issue is I have no idea what else to use to counter fire types outside of an Occa Berry.

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Bulk Up
- Roost

Corviknight has worked pretty well as both a physical wall and as a bulky wincon after a few bulk-ups. I ran Body press + Iron defense originally, but found myself constantly getting screwed over by ghost pokemon, so I've switched to BU+Brave Bird. Not sure if I like it all that much better yet, though. I've been considering Leftovers here as well, although Rocky Helmet has been great up til this point. I ran Defog originally, but never really used it all that much since Klefki is great at throwing out Spikes and my team is generally pretty resistant to Stealth Rock.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Scizor's always been one of my favorite 'mon, so I've been trying hard to keep him around. And he's put in some great work with this set so far; Swords Dance into Life Orb Bullet Bunch can sweep a lot of pokemon, and he's won me plenty of games doing so. Close Combat has been solid for what Bullet Punch can't hit. U-Turn is something I feel like I should use more often than I do, although I rarely do. I've considered Choice Band and dropping Swords Dance for something like Thief or Aerial Ace, as well. I like using Scizor as more of a Sweeper than a bulky pivot, personally, since I already have Corv and Bronzong to switch in and out with.

Lucario @ Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

Lucario is the one I think I plan on replacing entirely. I definitely feel like I'm lacking in Special Attackers, and Lucario has been very hit or miss. On one hand, using Swords Dance with Focus Sash back-up into Extreme Speed has done some serious work against most teams. On the other hand, he's basically a one trick pony and gets shut down hard by ghost types. I have Ice Punch to have some extra coverage, but it hasn't been all that useful. If I can't find a better use for him, I'm probably going to swap him out for Gholdengo or Magnezone. I wanted to avoid Gholdengo at first since he's everywhere, but he's probably too good to ignore. Magnezone could be nice too, though; Choice Specs or Scarf could deal some decent damage, I think, and could even run Thunder on the off chance he comes in after Bronzong sets up a Rain Dance to cover fire weakness.

Kingambit @ Assault Vest
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 196 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Brick Break

The EV spread here is one I found online somewhere. I have no recollection of what it really covers, so I may need to change it, although he's done well so far as a bulky, last-man-standing cleaner. Supreme Overlord Sucker Punches can take out quite a lot, and he's bulky enough to take a hit or two as well, as long as it isn't fighting. I've been going back and forth between Brick Break and Low Kick and haven't really decided on either, yet. I've also considered dropping it entirely for Swords Dance, running Black Glasses, and just letting him tank a hit before attempting to sweep anything they have left. He'd need to rely on Sucker Punch since he's so slow, however.

So that's my team at the moment. My thoughts on the other Steel types available:

• Copperajah hasn't really impressed me, although maybe I'm missing something?
  • Forretress seems useful with Spin, but would be yet another huge weakness to fire. I've considered using it as a lead instead of Klefki and going with SR, Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, and Explosion.
  • Tinkaton seems fun, but I have no idea how I'd fit her in.
  • Revavroom is similar to Forretress: possibly a different lead? It has access to stuff like Toxic Spikes, Parting Shot, Toxic, Haze, Taunt, etc., and could probably be a nuisance out front. Its not too bulky, however, so I wouldn't expect it to live long against anything aggressive.
  • Orthworm I love, but can't figure out where I'd run him. Shed Tail into Scizor or Kingambit seems great for setting up and sweeping, and being immune to ground is great, but I'm not sure where I'd run him. He could be another possible lead over Klefki with SR, Body Press, Iron Defense, and Shed Tail, maybe?
  • Iron Treads is probably another great addition. I know its banned in Battle Stadium, but not in Monotype, which was the original reason why it wasn't included. Possibly a replacement to Bronzong in an attempt to just outspeed and OHKO incoming Fire types with a Booster Energy Earthquake?
Anyway, that's about all I have. I'd love some input from people who know better than me, since I just picked Pokemon up again recently and have been trying to figure out the metagame starting from scratch, so hopefully this team isn't absolutely awful or anything! It's done alright so far, but could definitely use a boost, I assume. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to SV Mono, I will try to give you some advice on your Steel team.
I feel like for Steel you can choose to build a really offensive team or just some BO team with some defensive backbone such as Corvi and Bronzong. It looks like you want to build something offensive so I will stick to that.

Major changes:
:gholdengo: > :bronzong: First of all as we are making a offensive team based on Spikes, we surely can't miss Gholdengo. Gholdengo blocks Defog and even Rapid Spin while being a Special attacker and also a Fighting immunity, so he is basically the final boss for Steel teams. We can just run a standard Scarf set which also gives us some Speed Control and we can trick it to annoying Mons.

Code:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf 
Ability: Good as Gold 
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
- Shadow Ball 
- Make It Rain 
- Psyshock / Recover
- Trick
Psyshock can hit Special Walls such as Clodsire and also helps with Fighting mons while Recover can be really helpful after you Trick your scarf away, altho I think Psyshock is better here.

:iron-treads:>:lucario: We already have a priority user and can cover a lot of things that Lucario covers so we can try Iron Treads to use it as a spinner and a great wall + pivot for some hazard stack types such as Ground. We just run EQ + Koff + Rapid Spin + Volt Switch.

Code:
Iron Treads @ Leftovers 
Ability: Quark Drive 
Tera Type: Ground 
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Earthquake 
- Knock Off 
- Volt Switch 
- Stealth Rock
Minor changes:
:kingambit: We don't really need AV here so we can just run Lefties + SD and we can keep Brick Break over the Steel STAB.

:corviknight: As we are a setup sweeper U-turn is quite meh so prolly like Taunt could work here.

:scizor: I would avoid Life Orb as Scizor has lost the access to Roost, probably Metal Coat or Lefties can work well enough.

The team with my suggestions would look like this:
https://pokepast.es/f2be76860c10126b

This should do fairly well in the Ladder altho I think Orthworm is a better option for Spikes als Shed Tail is crazy while Earth Eater can help. I believe you can also try something else with Steel but this should work well. Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi and welcome to SV Mono, I will try to give you some advice on your Steel team.
I feel like for Steel you can choose to build a really offensive team or just some BO team with some defensive backbone such as Corvi and Bronzong. It looks like you want to build something offensive so I will stick to that.

Major changes:
:gholdengo: > :bronzong: First of all as we are making a offensive team based on Spikes, we surely can't miss Gholdengo. Gholdengo blocks Defog and even Rapid Spin while being a Special attacker and also a Fighting immunity, so he is basically the final boss for Steel teams. We can just run a standard Scarf set which also gives us some Speed Control and we can trick it to annoying Mons.

Code:
Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Psyshock / Recover
- Trick
Psyshock can hit Special Walls such as Clodsire and also helps with Fighting mons while Recover can be really helpful after you Trick your scarf away, altho I think Psyshock is better here.

:iron-treads:>:lucario: We already have a priority user and can cover a lot of things that Lucario covers so we can try Iron Treads to use it as a spinner and a great wall + pivot for some hazard stack types such as Ground. We just run EQ + Koff + Rapid Spin + Volt Switch.

Code:
Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
Minor changes:
:kingambit: We don't really need AV here so we can just run Lefties + SD and we can keep Brick Break over the Steel STAB.

:corviknight: As we are a setup sweeper U-turn is quite meh so prolly like Taunt could work here.

:scizor: I would avoid Life Orb as Scizor has lost the access to Roost, probably Metal Coat or Lefties can work well enough.

The team with my suggestions would look like this:
https://pokepast.es/f2be76860c10126b

This should do fairly well in the Ladder altho I think Orthworm is a better option for Spikes als Shed Tail is crazy while Earth Eater can help. I believe you can also try something else with Steel but this should work well. Let me know if you have any questions!

Awesome; thanks! I'll definitely be giving this a try. For Orthworm, who would you consider replacing? Klefki? Any thoughts on a set for him? My thought would be something like:

Orthworm @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Eartheater
Tera Type: Electric
Careful Nature

- Iron Head/Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Stealth Rock/Spikes
- Shed Tail

Also just curious: what other paths do you think Steel can go down this gen? I feel like it lost a lot with toxic nerfs and without Heatran, Ferrothorn, etc., so I'm not sure what it really has going for it besides just bulky offense right now. Thanks!!

Awesome; thanks! I'll definitely be giving this a try. For Orthworm, who would you consider replacing? Klefki? Any thoughts on a set for him? My thought would be something like:

Orthworm @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Eartheater
Tera Type: Electric
Careful Nature

- Iron Head/Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Stealth Rock/Spikes
- Shed Tail

Also just curious: what other paths do you think Steel can go down this gen? I feel like it lost a lot with toxic nerfs and without Heatran, Ferrothorn, etc., so I'm not sure what it really has going for it besides just bulky offense right now. Thanks!!
Hi, Yea you surely want to replace Klefki if u want to put Orthworm as it offers Spikes support just as Klefki + Shed Tail. Usually u want a set like yours but make it Max Def and Body Press + Heavy Slam/EQ + Spikes + Shed Tail.
I have seen some different types of Steel that are just more pivotting with a U-turn corvi instead of setup sweeper + Bronzong but overall you are still prone to have many offensive mons as you can't rely on the triple immunity core anymore

Hi, Yea you surely want to replace Klefki if u want to put Orthworm as it offers Spikes support just as Klefki + Shed Tail. Usually u want a set like yours but make it Max Def and Body Press + Heavy Slam/EQ + Spikes + Shed Tail.
I have seen some different types of Steel that are just more pivotting with a U-turn corvi instead of setup sweeper + Bronzong but overall you are still prone to have many offensive mons as you can't rely on the triple immunity core anymore
Interesting; any reason behind the max Defense besides Body Press? My main concern with Orthworm is that with it's low baseline SpD and Speed, it can quickly end up below Shed Tail range and might not be able to reliably set up Spikes as well. Although I guess I could always just Pivot out if that's the case and swap back in on a physical attacker at some point.

Interesting; any reason behind the max Defense besides Body Press? My main concern with Orthworm is that with it's low baseline SpD and Speed, it can quickly end up below Shed Tail range and might not be able to reliably set up Spikes as well. Although I guess I could always just Pivot out if that's the case and swap back in on a physical attacker at some point.
Its just cause you are still taking much damage from the Special side and in that case you can prolly directly try and Shed Tail or prevent that from using other mons. As you said it also helps against like Ting-Lu and mixing those up might get you taking even more damage from the physical side when you should rely on it and try and get as many Spikes as possible while still using the Shed Tail support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)