(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Imagine if Gamefreak, lets say, wants to release a certain Pokémon with HA during a movie... if the Ability Capsule could change abilities to HA, then the HA events wouldn't be special
Considering there's very few HAs that have not been officially released yet - I'm pretty sure it's just heatran and the johto beasts - then I'd be fine with waiting until after they've been released.

On the leaflet for the Serial Codes of Shiny Xerneas given at Hyper Japan, it has been announced that the Shiny Yveltal event is to be held in the United Kingdom. From August 17th 2016 to September 15th 2016, you'll be able to go to Smyths Toy Stores across the UK in order to receive the code to receive the Shiny Yveltal.
OH COME ON

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Some of the gender ratios in Pokémon are really confusing and unnecessary in my opinion.
I mean, the 12.5/87.5% starters and fossils sort of make sense from a gameplay perspective because they're seen as "rare". Chansey is 100% female but then again, it's always seen with Nurse Joy in the anime (while Audino is 50/50). But here's a really weird one: Rufflet is 100% male.
Like... what? Why? Is there something obscure about eagles I'm missing? I don't want to basically need a 6IV Ditto so I can breed a decent Braviary.
Most Corsola are female (75/25). Why? Are these explainable or just random?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some of the gender ratios in Pokémon are really confusing and unnecessary in my opinion.
I mean, the 12.5/87.5% starters and fossils sort of make sense from a gameplay perspective because they're seen as "rare". Chansey is 100% female but then again, it's always seen with Nurse Joy in the anime (while Audino is 50/50). But here's a really weird one: Rufflet is 100% male.
Like... what? Why? Is there something obscure about eagles I'm missing? I don't want to basically need a 6IV Ditto so I can breed a decent Braviary.
Most Corsola are female (75/25). Why? Are these explainable or just random?
Yeah, out of all the 100% gender families the Rufflet and Vullaby families don't make sense. There's nothing gender specific about them and even then there's other Pokemon who look like they'd be 100% one gender but aren't (looking at your Gothita family).

As for Corsola, while there are some coral split between male & female members, most are hermaphrodites. This means they don't really need a partner to reproduce so the 1:4 gender ratio could be a reference to the ease coral has to breeding.

Though speaking of gender issues going back to 100% genders: 100% male families are totally ripped off. Due to how breeding works, this means no 100% male species can get Egg Moves. Think of the Egg Moves that the Tyogue family, Rufflet family, Sawk, Throh, & Tauros could potentially get. Nidoran male and Volbeat are lucky to have female breeding pairs so their males can get Egg Moves (though this makes me wonder why Tauros hasn't been officially paired with Miltank yet). I think they should make a way for 100% male families to be able to breed a member of this own species (and have it be the mothers that pass down Egg Moves to these Pokemon).

I'm not a native english speaker, so I don't know what is the problem
When speaking about a group including yourself, you list the other people first. So it shouldn't be "me and lisia" it should be "lisia and me".

Edit: this is only formal, not grammatically necessary.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
When speaking about a group including yourself, you list the other people first. So it shouldn't be "me and lisia" it should be "lisia and me".
Can't you also say "I and (other person/group)"?

Though personally I don't see what's the big deal is. It's not like using the wrong there/their/they're or other similar word mistakes, you just switched when you referred to yourself and the other person.

Actually, this isn't an issue on romance lenguajes.

In Spanish it's often seen as rude, but it ISN'T grammatically incorrect.

Given that this guy tries to sound French I wouldn't be surprised if it is correct in the French language.

It's wrong because...and I can't believe I'm saying this stuff here...you can't split the sentence correctly. Like this:

Macherie is going all out in....
+
I am going all out in....
=
Macherie and I are going all out in toughness training from now on!

Splitting "me and Macherie are" gives "Me is..." alongside "Macherie is..."

Alright guys grammar police out

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Me: Well ORAS's Battle Resort was a let down, but hey at least Z version will have a new Battle Facility place in addition to the Maison!
GameFreak: Oh, yeah, Pokemon Z...
Me: BW2 did an interesting twist on it with the Pokemon World Tournament, wonder what they'll do this time?
GF: Speaking of a twist...
Me: Actually it would be neat if they decide to put Emerald's Battle Frontier in Z to make up for excluding it in ORAS.
GF: Remember when we said we didn't want to do predictable third versions anymore...
Me: Ooh, maybe they'll do another World Tournament and show us what all the important NPCs with new 3D models (and this time not forget the Elite Four and pass Frontier Brains, maybe even through in some other important NPCs like rivals).
GF: Well what we meant to say we don't plan on making a third version. Period.
Me: ... what?
*GF holds up Pokemon Sun & Moon*
Me: But what about Zygarde's Formes?
GF: Oh they're in Sun & Moon.
Me: ... Alola's Battle Facility better be good...

Me: Well ORAS's Battle Resort was a let down, but hey at least Z version will have a new Battle Facility place in addition to the Maison!
GameFreak: Oh, yeah, Pokemon Z...
Me: BW2 did an interesting twist on it with the Pokemon World Tournament, wonder what they'll do this time?
GF: Speaking of a twist...
Me: Actually it would be neat if they decide to put Emerald's Battle Frontier in Z to make up for excluding it in ORAS.
GF: Remember when we said we didn't want to do predictable third versions anymore...
Me: Ooh, maybe they'll do another World Tournament and show us what all the important NPCs with new 3D models (and this time not forget the Elite Four and pass Frontier Brains, maybe even through in some other important NPCs like rivals).
GF: Well what we meant to say we don't plan on making a third version. Period.
Me: ... what?
*GF holds up Pokemon Sun & Moon*
Me: But what about Zygarde's Formes?
GF: Oh they're in Sun & Moon.
Me: ... Alola's Battle Facility better be good...
If Alola's Battle Facility is going to be good, it won't be good in Sun & Moon - you'll have to wait for a next game in Gen 7 for that.

No.

The reason his two phrases were wrong is that he used "me" where "I" should've been used. Listing the other person first is an arbitrary stylistic choice that's irrelevant and doesn't need to be made. This forum should have downvotes dislikes.

One thing that I am completely sick of is people comparing breeding for IVs to eugenics. Here's my list of reasons:

1) It's a video game.
2) That's not what eugenics is about as it applies ONLY to humans.
3) We don't sterilize imperfect 'mons or otherwise prevent them from reproducing.
4) IT'S A VIDEO GAME.

What breeding for IVs more accurately resembles is something humans have been doing for an incredibly long time with various species, both plant and animal. A great example are dogs, which we have been breeding since BEFORE THE INVENTION OF THE WRITTEN WORD.

Also, with the reveal of Hyper Training, you can argue that IVs aren't really genes. You can't train genes, now can you?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If Alola's Battle Facility is going to be good, it won't be good in Sun & Moon - you'll have to wait for a next game in Gen 7 for that.
Actually if they return to a third version format this would be true BUT if their new philosophy involves skipping the third version they'd have to put their all in the initial paired version's Battle Facility as their isn't going to be any redo until a possible remake years later (unless they start doing DLC stuff).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
One thing that I am completely sick of is people comparing breeding for IVs to eugenics. Here's my list of reasons:

1) It's a video game.
2) That's not what eugenics is about as it applies ONLY to humans.
3) We don't sterilize imperfect 'mons or otherwise prevent them from reproducing.
4) IT'S A VIDEO GAME.

What breeding for IVs more accurately resembles is something humans have been doing for an incredibly long time with various species, both plant and animal. A great example are dogs, which we have been breeding since BEFORE THE INVENTION OF THE WRITTEN WORD.
It's more of an accidental message, if anything. The spirit of the franchise goes something like this: "Those little monsters are your friends and close companions, and all of them different and unique in their own way. Cherish the variety, and embrace your special and unique creature" But all forms of variety and the different configurations are practically useless except for the optimal one. Search for the optimal configuration, because without it your Pokémon will have an inherent disadvantage. Also, since these values can't be improved or changed at all, be prepared to discard dozens if not hundreds of suboptimal monsters in your quest to find one with the optimal "genes". Unless you're spectacularly lucky, your starter and all the Pokémon you caught during your adventure are suboptimal, therefore useless. Beyond salvation, actually, unless you are lucky with Natures (or start over the game twenty times until you get the right one). For competitive purposes, you're better off releasing them to save box space.

The games are saying "all Pokémon are unique, forge tight bonds with them and they will be your friends". The mindset of in-game battle facilities, and official competitions, is "all Pokémon but the optimal ones are useless. To have a chance of winning, spend 99 % of your game time dancing with the RNG gods until they grant you the optimal configuration. Discard all the suboptimal ones you find along the way, they are useless".

It's a very mixed message, is all I'm saying. It's a welcome change that we finally get to improve our favourite team mates, the ones we're supposed to befriend over the course of our adventure, rather than having to set them aside and begrudgingly accept that they will never make the cut for competitive battles.

Actually if they return to a third version format this would be true BUT if their new philosophy involves skipping the third version they'd have to put their all in the initial paired version's Battle Facility as their isn't going to be any redo until a possible remake years later (unless they start doing DLC stuff).
I'm afraid you're too optimistic here. Battle Facilities are put into third games for one primary reason: as a selling point, to give the third version something the base game doesn't have. Without the third version, the main reason to make a fancy Battle Facility disappears. The base games sell fine without them, because of all the new content they bring with new Pokémon, moves, mechanics and locations.

I suppose they serve a secondary purpose too, adding longevity to the post-game, but from interviews around ORAS' release, the developers seemed to have got the impression that only a minuscule portion of the player base actually spend time with the Battle Facilities. Paraphrasing: "spending development resources on a Battle Frontier would only be a waste". There are far easier and more effective ways to sell a game than an elaborate post-game: for instance, just make a bunch of legendaries catchable, and the kids will flock to the game.

TL;DR - A Battle Maison-style facility is basically the only type of facility worth the development resources spent to create it. Maybe we'll see the PWT again too, but great, elaborate Frontiers like those of Emerald and Platinum? Don't get your hopes up. And they definitely won't be in the base games.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The battle Maison sucks. If I and enough people I know think the system is dumb enough to never want to give it a shot, and I know way more people who think that, the design just isn't good except for this minority they shouldn't be designing for. It doesn't add a selling point. The battle frontier was larger and weirder and had some smeargle cave for no reason, but everyone loved that shit and I got really into it when I was under 10. If they think nobody wants this then clearly they haven't just read the Internet beyond mega flygon pls, but if at least love a more intuitive overhaul to the system that doesn't make it feel samey and boring without the clear goals set by the battle factory (win a very specific amount of games at a time, sometimes with a special gimmick, or make it to the end of a pyramid/seviper with a set amount of floors/sections). More interesting than just win 20 samey games and the mystique of the brains compared to whatever the Maison ladies are called is cool

The battle Maison sucks. If I and enough people I know think the system is dumb enough to never want to give it a shot, and I know way more people who think that, the design just isn't good except for this minority they shouldn't be designing for. It doesn't add a selling point. The battle frontier was larger and weirder and had some smeargle cave for no reason, but everyone loved that shit and I got really into it when I was under 10. If they think nobody wants this then clearly they haven't just read the Internet beyond mega flygon pls, but if at least love a more intuitive overhaul to the system that doesn't make it feel samey and boring without the clear goals set by the battle factory (win a very specific amount of games at a time, sometimes with a special gimmick, or make it to the end of a pyramid/seviper with a set amount of floors/sections). More interesting than just win 20 samey games and the mystique of the brains compared to whatever the Maison ladies are called is cool
The Maison itself doesn't suck. It's the same basic principle behind the Battle Towers and the Battle Subway. Hell, it's honestly better that it's predecessors since the BP give out is reasonable (48 from a standard, 20 battle run) and you get BP after every battle. The problem is the fact we didn't get a Frontier AGAIN and this time, we didn't even get substitutes (B2W2 had the PWT, PokéStar Studios, and Black Tower/White Treehollow as well as the Subway).

With all the hints about the battle Frontier in ORAS I think it's safe to assume they were planning on adding on in a future game for either generation 6 or the next generation depending on what development stage they were at back then. Though considering there have only been two Frontiers I don't think that's enough for precedent for them to have a new one this generation. Hopefully they do make one or introduce a new PWT or something similar since they're the best way to prolong outside of wifi battles but don't get your hopes up since they would rather push PGL and VGC instead.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess to expand, they didn't really put any effort into it. I mean the other 3 (2 battle frontiers and PWT) got you in with flashy lights, promises of prizes, special areas, good stuff overall. This is just a bland area they put you in and say "yeah, some people like to grind this shit so we'll put in as little effort as possible and just appeal to that crowd". Sorta like that quote where they didn't want to put effort into a battle frontier (even though it'd be a huge selling point if pulled off well see: Emerald's frontier, BW2 PWT being really popular) except they didn't even bother to put much into this. Battle Subway was boring for the same reason, there's nothing interesting about this as opposed to every time it's been good. If I'm given the opportunity to fight big battle swap brackets in front of a cheering crowd or the opportunity to beat xyz randomized trainer in a grey room, it just shows how little they give a shit. I mean this is just basic interesting design, Pokemon has done a ton of stuff to go flashy over well/interestingly designed (see: super mystery dungeon), this didn't even manage to hit that note. It's not just about flashy and interesting, it's just that they were far better designed areas which I don't wanna go into because this is already way more than I wanted to type. I guess my point is here and was with the original post, people want the battle frontier because it was well designed and that made it lovable. Not because what it provided was significantly different from what you could do with the battle maison, because it absolutely isn't. The point is, we shouldn't be asking them to meet all the fanservice we want and throw in a battle frontier and mega flygon just because we asked. We should just request that what they put out isn't shit. Like the battle maison.
And if I need more qualifiers for it, does anybody remember or take seriously that chateau battle place where you can rematch leaders? That should be a huge thing that people want (hey look more emerald/platinum features), I feel reasonably confident in stating that nobody cares and most people don't even know/remember.

I guess to expand, they didn't really put any effort into it. I mean the other 3 (2 battle frontiers and PWT) got you in with flashy lights, promises of prizes, special areas, good stuff overall. This is just a bland area they put you in and say "yeah, some people like to grind this shit so we'll put in as little effort as possible and just appeal to that crowd". Sorta like that quote where they didn't want to put effort into a battle frontier (even though it'd be a huge selling point if pulled off well see: Emerald's frontier, BW2 PWT being really popular) except they didn't even bother to put much into this. Battle Subway was boring for the same reason, there's nothing interesting about this as opposed to every time it's been good. If I'm given the opportunity to fight big battle swap brackets in front of a cheering crowd or the opportunity to beat xyz randomized trainer in a grey room, it just shows how little they give a shit. I mean this is just basic interesting design, Pokemon has done a ton of stuff to go flashy over well/interestingly designed (see: super mystery dungeon), this didn't even manage to hit that note. It's not just about flashy and interesting, it's just that they were far better designed areas which I don't wanna go into because this is already way more than I wanted to type. I guess my point is here and was with the original post, people want the battle frontier because it was well designed and that made it lovable. Not because what it provided was significantly different from what you could do with the battle maison, because it absolutely isn't. The point is, we shouldn't be asking them to meet all the fanservice we want and throw in a battle frontier and mega flygon just because we asked. We should just request that what they put out isn't shit. Like the battle maison.
And if I need more qualifiers for it, does anybody remember or take seriously that chateau battle place where you can rematch leaders? That should be a huge thing that people want (hey look more emerald/platinum features), I feel reasonably confident in stating that nobody cares and most people don't even know/remember.
For me the frontiers were fun because they had additional twists on the battles (random battles, roulettes, etc.) which are more interesting than regular battles which are more fun online anyway. The Battle Chateau was a let down because even though you could get a random chance to rematch a gym leader they were still weak by the time you got to that point in the game and cost way too much money for writs. Getting off topic here but a Frontier with a generic Maison-esque mode, inverse battle, sky battle, and battle royale mode will be a huge step up from what we got in gen vi. Just slapping on a battle resort was kind of pointless in ORAS since there was a whole island area which served no purpose other than to be flashy as you said.

For me the frontiers were fun because they had additional twists on the battles (random battles, roulettes, etc.) which are more interesting than regular battles which are more fun online anyway. The Battle Chateau was a let down because even though you could get a random chance to rematch a gym leader they were still weak by the time you got to that point in the game and cost way too much money for writs. Getting off topic here but a Frontier with a generic Maison-esque mode, inverse battle, sky battle, and battle royale mode will be a huge step up from what we got in gen vi. Just slapping on a battle resort was kind of pointless in ORAS since there was a whole island area which served no purpose other than to be flashy as you said.
It gave us the best counter argument to Karen bullshit speech with the ORAS gentleman, THAT IS ENOUGH JUSTIFICATION FOR AN AREA.

Seriously PWT Roxxie take on battling, Grimsley philosophy and the ORAS gentleman are the pinnacle of common sense in competitive battling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)