Legalising natural drugs for medical use

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
There has been increasing evidence for the use of cannabis to ease the suffering of people with terminal illnesses. This is nothing new. What is new is that there is new research which suggests that magic mushrooms also have medicinal benefits, especially for people with long term depression and anxiety problems

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/06/magic.mushrooms.ease.anxiety/index.html?iref=NS1

Terminally ill cancer patients struggling with anxiety may get some relief from a guided "trip" on the hallucinogenic drug psilocybin, a new study suggests.

The study included 12 patients who took a small dose of psilocybin -- the active ingredient in "magic mushrooms" -- while under the supervision of trained therapists. In a separate session, the participants took a placebo pill, which had little effect on their symptoms.

By contrast, one to three months after taking psilocybin the patients reported feeling less anxious and their overall mood had improved. By the six-month mark, the group's average score on a common scale used to measure depression had declined by 30 percent, according to the study, which was published in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

In follow-up interviews with the researchers, some patients said their experience with psilocybin gave them a new perspective on their illness and brought them closer to family and friends.

"We were pleased with the results," says the lead researcher, Charles Grob, M.D., a professor of psychiatry at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, in Torrance, Calif.

Notably, the psilocybin did not aggravate the patients' anxiety or provoke any other unwanted effects besides a slight increase in blood pressure and heart rate.

Grob's findings are "important because he's showing that you can administer these compounds safely to cancer patients with anxiety," says Roland Griffiths, Ph.D., a professor of psychiatry and neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, in Baltimore.

"They're not substances that should be used recreationally or casually, but nonetheless it appears that we can conduct research with these compounds safely," adds Griffiths, who was not involved in the study but has researched the therapeutic effects of psilocybin. (He and his colleagues are currently enrolling patients in a similar study that will use larger doses of the drug.)

Researchers investigating the therapeutic potential of psilocybin and other hallucinogens have been keen to demonstrate the safety of the drugs in clinical settings.

Psychiatrists and psychologists began exploring the effects of hallucinogens on the mood and anxiety of dying patients in the 1950s, but the research stopped abruptly when psilocybin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), and other mind-altering drugs were outlawed in the 1970s.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a handful of small studies involving hallucinogens since the 1990s, but the field is still emerging.

Grob's study is the first of its kind in more than 35 years. It was funded by private foundations and the Heffter Research Institute, a nonprofit organization based in Santa Fe, New Mexico, that has been a major sponsor of the second-generation hallucinogen research.

The patients in the study were all close to death (10 of the 12 have since died), and they had all diagnoses of anxiety or acute stress relating to their prognosis.

"We were really looking for people who were really struggling with the predicament that they found themselves in," Grob explains.

During the psilocybin sessions, which lasted six hours, the patients lay on a couch and listened to music through headphones.

Although they spoke only briefly to the therapists while under the influence of the drug, they continued to meet periodically with the research staff for six months to discuss their experience and to fill out questionnaires assessing their mood and anxiety levels.

"I think we've established good grounds for continuing the research," Grob says. "That's the goal right now, just to develop more studies."
The late, great Bill Hicks once said "Doesn't making nature against the law seem, I dunno, unnatural?" Once again, there is scientific and medical evidence to back up the fact that recreational natural drugs also have a positive mental effect. Of course, the article does not suggest that magic mushrooms should be used recreationally, but it does show, along with the recent evidence regarding cannabis, that a complete rethink of these natural remedies should be considered, if not legalised for medical use.

this is really interesting, i'm glad the taboo on psychedelic drugs is finally slowly being lifted and they are actually doing productive research with them. there is definitely potential for using them as anti-depressants and for anxiety.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"Natural" for all intents and purposes is completely arbitrary at this point. There are no intrinsic properties of "natural" or "artificial" drugs that somehow generally make one okay and the other not.

Very, very valid arguments about the positive effects of cannabis on cancer patients aside, the way cannabis is made doesn't somehow make it a better drug than something else. It should definitely be legal for medicinal use in my opinion, though.

What I don't get is why they don't release some of the drug growers out of prison and give them a government supervised job growing good weed, instead of the constant bitching I hear in the media about the poor quality of the medicinal stuff.

Psychoactives will of course have an impact on any psychological condition. Hell, the concept of proneness to addiction is really just a fucked up (undersized) hippocampus/amigdala (I forget which). The issue that can come from these is that you may get benefits from long term use but in the "down time" where you're not high you may experience increased anxiety or moodiness, for example. It's a mixed bag, something that would need long term research.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I dont really understand what the controversy is, if the fda approves it as treatment its no big deal. let me assure you that no physicians out there are freaking out or even looking at this as "news." use of drugs that are illegal on the streets for medical purposes is not a new phenomenon. If it is a real treatment option (the fda will spend a long time determining this as always) it will be adopted at physicians discretion.

There was a time when LSD and such was prescribed, as it is meth is still prescribed to this day.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I dont really understand what the controversy is, if the fda approves it as treatment its no big deal. let me assure you that no physicians out there are freaking out or even looking at this as "news." use of drugs that are illegal on the streets for medical purposes is not a new phenomenon. If it is a real treatment option (the fda will spend a long time determining this as always) it will be adopted at physicians discretion.

There was a time when LSD and such was prescribed, as it is meth is still prescribed to this day.
This is all blatantly false, for what it's worth. The FDA can't make illegal substances okay to prescribe just by saying so, and meth is not prescribed to anyone. Methamphetamine hydrochloride is rarely used as part of treatment for obesity and morbid obesity, but in incredibly small doses for incredibly short terms, and you can't make "meth" out of it.

"Natural" for all intents and purposes is completely arbitrary at this point. There are no intrinsic properties of "natural" or "artificial" drugs that somehow generally make one okay and the other not.

Very, very valid arguments about the positive effects of cannabis on cancer patients aside, the way cannabis is made doesn't somehow make it a better drug than something else. It should definitely be legal for medicinal use in my opinion, though.
Why are your posts so perfect, chrisisme?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have been a strong proponent of legalizing all drugs for a long time, so I'm obviously in favor of this. It would be just one step toward my ultimate goal.

Legalizing certain drugs for medicinal purposes only doesn't seem like a very big deal. They have a positive impact on terminal patients, without any harmful side effects. They're definantly more effective than placebo pills, and possibly even some prescription anti-depressants. Some of those will blow your mind to shit and back before having any kind of positives (Lexapro warped reality when I took it. I'm not sure if this was just me, but it was a very rough time period.). If they do lots of good in the field of medicine, why not lift the ban of them for pharmecuetical purposes?

Mainly, I think it's taboo to even think of drugs as any kind of legal in this country. But as I see it, people are going to keep growing weed and producing meth with or without the law's help. So abuse of medicinal drugs really doesn't seem a problem when street users can get stronger stuff from someone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)