Landorus-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landorus Therian Forme​

The first time i saw this spread i had mixed feelings, on one hand he got a major nerf to speed (91 really?) and a small but unnoticable nerf to his SpAtk and a giant boost towards his attack 145 is crazy. With no extra bulk i figured he wasn't that great but he grew on me and i feel he has potential.

Type: Ground/ Flying

Ground Flying is a very good combo, Landorus and Gliscor are living proof.

Stats: 89 HP/ 145 Atk/ 90 Def/ 105 SpAtk/ 80 SpDef/ 91 Spe

The stat spread is very interesting as it allows him punch holes in things with that behemoth 145 attack but his speed is quite lackluster.

Ability: Intimidate

His ability is very interesting because it allows him to lower the opponents attack on the switch essentially becoming a bulkier Gliscor. Although not as reliable as Gliscor it allows him to set up in the face of current top tier threats like Terrakion and Tyranitar etc.

Movepool: Theriandorus (you heard it here first) has the sam movepool as Landorus which is a blessing because landorus' boosting moves are even better suited to him. He also gets a few new toys from the move tutor which includes...

Block, Earth Power, Gravity, Iron Tail, Knock Off, Outrage, Sleep Talk, Snore, Stealth Rock, Superpower

The ones that stand out for me are: Earth Power power because coming off a base 105 SpAtk will hurt, Sleep Talk which could make for an interesting ResTalking set, Superpower-not a great deal different from Hammer Arm-, and Stealth Rock for a bulky support 'mon.

Movesets: (feel free to suggest)

Choicorus

Landorus-T (M) @ Choice Band/ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EV's: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)/ Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Superpower
-U-Turn

Theriandorus' stats scream Choice Band because it helps to patch up the speed or give it some off the bat power rivaling Haxorus. Adamant is the preferred nature here because it's odd base 91 speed means it has no hope of outspeeding Haxorus let alone base 100+ like Volcarona or Salamece. With an Adamant nature and a Choice Band the only real safe switch in is Skarmory and Max Defense Skarmory takes a good 40-47% damage from a Superpower and Specially Defensive Skarm is cleanly 2HKO'd. A Choice Scarf is equally viable as it gives him the jump on pretty much everything unboosted and is going wreck pretty much anything that has the misfortune of meeting it. Unfortunately it is not going to be doing much revenge killing because common booster sit a speed tier painfully far away from his modest base 91. U-Turn is great on both sets as it keeps offensive pressure on your opponent and can Intimidate and jump out of your opponent. A choiced set would seem to be his easiest set to use with the maximum result.

Rock Polish

Landorus-T (M) @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt/ Leftovers
-Rock Polish
-Stone Edge/ Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Fly/ Outrage/ Focus Blast

After all this talk of his odd speed Rock Polish can patch it up to make him a devastating sweeper. Again an Adamant Nature is recommended as it ouspeeds even scarfed base 115's like Raiku at +2 and since he isn't boosting his attack he really needs as much power as he can get to have maximum potential. Life Orb is the recommended item as it boosts his power without being locked into anything however if the recoil puts you off then an Expert Belt can be used (does it need mentioning that it can fake a choice?) and lastly although not ideal if you really love the recovery or if you are using him on a hail team then leftovers is viable. Standard EdgeQuake coverage makes him a very fearsome sweeper while the last slot is quite open ended. Gamefreak really trolled him by not giving him Acrobatics and leaving Fly as his only Flying STAB but it does nail Breloom and Virizion, notable resistors of EdgeQuake. Outrage nails Dragons and is just a really powerful move while Focus Blast which has a deals 42-50% damage with an Adamant nature however a Naughty nature will 2HKO after SR damage although you lose out on some Special bulk. If using Focus Blast Life Orb is highly recommended. Rock Polish turns him into a great Late-Game sweeper with fearsome brute force and a patched up speed.

Double Dansorus

-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/ Rock Slide/ Fly

If you are willing to forgo some coverage then a Double Dance set can be very potent. If brought in on the right pokemon it can sweep with impunity. Double Dance boosts his Speed to a blazing stat making him very hard to revenge kill while Swords Dance blows his attack through the roof. At +2 he reaches an attack stat of 854 which couple with life orb is ridiculous. I'm sure all of you are familiar with Double Dancing but the idea is to choose the appropriate move for the appropriate scenario. Predict a switch to Starmie simple Rock Polish and OHKO with Earthquake. Conkeldurr (etc)? Swords Dance and OHKO with a +2 Earthquake. Double Dancing makes him very situationally versatile but you lose out on some coverage meaning that Skarmory will wall you to no end. In terms of moves Earthquake is a must while the choice between Stone Edge and Fly is personal preference, Fly gets a Stab meaning it will hit very hard but with Stone Edge it won't take 2 turns to attack except it will miss every two turns so its really personal preference. This set is like Double Dance Terrakion on crack with better bulk, typing and brute force.

Sub + 3 attacksorus

EV's: 100 HP/ 252 Atk/ 64 SAtk/ 92 Spe
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)/ Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
-Substitute
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Focus Blast

This set capitalizes on the inevitable switches he will cause making him very difficult to revenge kill or counter. He will also be a great wallbreaker due to his ability to go mixed. Again EdgeQuake is the main attacking moves while Focus Blast hits Skarmory. The given EV spread makes him quite bulky while retaining power he needs. The 92 Speed EV's let him outspeed Standard Tentacruel (probably the only thing that needs outspeeding). The recommended item is Life Orb as it with the given EV's it will 2HKO Standard Skarmory while the rest goes into attack. Ff the recoil puts you off then and alternative spread of 100 HP/ 108 Atk/ 208 SpAtk/ 92 Spe with a Rash nature retains the bulk while still 2HKOing standard Skarm. If you wish to forgo the bulk then a set like 208 Atk/ 208 SpAtk/ 92 Spe is viable. Finally if you are in need for speed then the 100 in HP can easily be shifted to Speed. The recommended set however is given one as it will hit like a truck. This set functions as a great wallbreaker and serves to capitalize on the switches it forces.

Defensorus

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 94 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/ Rock Slide/ Gravity
- U-turn

And now i finally come to Defensorus... Most of the above movesets are outclassed by Landorus however this one sets him apart. This set utilizes Intimidate to turn him into a bulkier Stealth Rocker similar to previous gen Swampert. He will be a very reliable setter due to his fearsome movepool and stats and fairly bulky. That said this moveset is generally outclassed by Gliscor which now has Roost + Poison Heal + Stealth Rock (as if he wasn't annoying enough already) and the only reason you should choose him over Gliscor is for his ability to punch holes in the enemy. On the top of that he serves as a great switch in to Terrakion, Conkeldurr and other top tier threats. Stealth Rock is on the set for obvious reasons while Earthquake and Stone Edge punch holes in mispredicted Stealth Rocks. U-Turn lets him scout out the opponent as well as nabbing a quick Initmidate giving safer switch ins to frail offensive pokemon like INfernape. Shadow Tag Chandelure (is it on ubers?) is a great partner as it can recieve a U-Turn and trap and kill common switch ins like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Defensorus is probably his most viable set as it fills a specific niche quite nicely and is not outclassed as much by his competition.
I am still working on a defensorus set

Other Options: Landorus can run gravity over Fly in all the movesets to hit Skarmory and Levitating switch ins for super effective damage on notable users such as Rotom-W. This is a great option to utilize however it will have a noticeable lack of coverage especially with the oncoming plague of TechniLooms. Gravity can also be used in conjunction with Entry Hazards for maximum effectiveness.

Final Thoughts: Theriandorus is completely different to Landorus and should not be compared to him but rather more like a Gyarados/ Haxorus/ Terrakion meets Gliscor or a 5th gen Swampert. He is blessed with some amazing boosting moves and will be a force to reckon with. Sadly however, most of his movesets are outclassed by his genie form so think twice before deciding on him. It is also worth noting that most of his sets can wreck sun and sand teams which gives him a neat niche in rain teams and Anti-Weather teams. He is also considerably bulky when combined with Intimidate but unfortunately his defensive sets are generally outclassed by someone else. Think twice before using Theriandorus because chances are that there is someone sle who can perform the same role better. That said he is still a force to be reckoned with and played correctly should bring his user an abundance of victories (<== see what i did there). Game Freak may not have blessed him with the same obvious boons as his genie friends but the did make a very interesting 'mon in their own unique way.

Suggestions will be appreciated to help our fellow smogonites use him to the best of his ability.

Ahh, i've been looking for this page. I haven't gotten to play with any of them yet, but i'm really looking forward to using him. I think i'll go for a defensive set because his typing is great against common ground/ fighting moves, not to mention the help that intimidate gives. He'll be a nice switch-in to a lot of common physical sweepers, and is far from slouching in attack even with little investment, so i'm excited about this :B

I feel like landorus outclasses him as a general attacking poke. Much better speed and sand power to patch up that attack gap means that the diffeeences are small. Therian just has intimidate to set itself apart (sand force would be ridiculous but... w/e)

lando-T is better off as a defensive pivot for teams because base lando does pretty much every offensive set better thanks to sand force/sheer force powering up his moves to make up for the base attack difference and 101 base troll speed.

Yeah i gotta say i agree that lando is probs better but he can still be a bulky sweeper. I am still working on a defensive set although it seems outclassed

Really dissapointed at the decreased base Speed, Intimidate is quite handy in alot of situation as now Lando come in on Scizor and pals if need be and be taking around 30% or less from banded BP. I think with the added attack, a Life Orb Rock Polish set can really work well especially late game.

I have been using Substitute and I think it is the best way to go with this guy. He plays very similarly to Gyarados in that regard by using Intimidate to have a beefier Sub, thus forcing a switch, and then smacking the switch. IMHO, the scarf set is a waste due to his awkward speed tier. Regular Landorus has a good Scarf set because he outspeeds all those base 100's by that 1 point, Wolfrus doesn't do that. +Attack Nature is definitely the way to go, it makes it as powerful as Regular Landorus in the Sand and makes you hit the hardest behind a substitute.

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 74 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef) / Adamant
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Gravity

EV's let you set up a Substitute before a Breloom Spores you. If you run Gravity, to hit Skarmory and cause carnage, move 1 EV out of speed into HP. I've even thought about making him slower and putting those EV's in defense to set up on physical attackers more easily (the only attackers you could ever set up on.

Intimidate does not "essentially make it a bulkier Gliscor" as 1. Landorus-T and Gliscor are not even similar outside of their typing 2. Gliscor often runs defensive EV or nature investment and 3. Only if Intimidate connects, the opponent gets an Atk drop, Landorus-T doesn't get any bulk boost. So Intimidate doesn't fulfill that role if the opponent is a special attacker, is behind a Substitute, has Defiant, Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, White Herb, or other thingss

Also I'm not sure how Landorus-T is better suited for Swords Dance when it has noticeably lower Speed. And Fly Landorus-T is just laughable

I think a bulky SR setter and Intimidate pivot is his best bet, as basically every offensive set is completely outclassed by regular Landorus. I've been using this on a hail team and it's alright.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 94 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

The speed is to outrun 16 spe Tentacruel and everything below (most notably Jirachi). He helps deal with fighting types that would otherwise give my team a lot of trouble.

edit:

Hey steviestra can i put that on the OP?
Sure.

Incarnate Landorus does by a very small amount. A positive natured max attack Therian Landorus hits as hard as a neutral attack (252 atk evs) Sand Force boosted Landorus.
In that case who would be more useful in sand? Incarnate has more speed to abuse that power but intimidate can be more useful for switching in.

In that case who would be more useful in sand? Incarnate has more speed to abuse that power but intimidate can be more useful for switching in.
Depends what you want each of them to do. The faster forme may have an easier sweep but the Intimidator may force a crucial switch and keep momentum in your favor.

The Beast form makes me think of it somewhat as a Gyarados for sand teams.

Intimidate + U-turn should come in very handy. Landorus-T also has much less reliance on sandstorm being active.

But Seriously, Fly and Outrage? Use something like HP Ice or Focus miss would serve a lot better.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Loaded up a Gravity team and gave this thing a shot. Its fair to say that Rock Polish Landorus-T is very, very threatening with hazards up (which are all the more devastating with Gravity up) and that after going 4-1 out of the first 5 games I played, it was an exceptionally strong late game sweeper. Intimidate was nice for being able to set up on shit like Ferrothorn, as well as just switching it in, lowing some things attack, switching back out etc etc.

But Seriously, Fly and Outrage? Use something like HP Ice or Focus miss would serve a lot better.
Fly actually isn't a bad idea, as most stuff that resists Edgequake is weak to Fly. If you don't think it could work, just look at Gyarados. I'm not sure Outrage is really a good idea. Being locked into a non-stab move just to hit the Lati@s and whatnot isn't really worth it.

One thing I'm surprised no one has mentioned is how amazing the scarf set will be on Volturn teams. Intimidate + U-turn will be an amazing combo, as it will allow Landorus to force switches on basically any physical attacker. Not to mention that he can also clean up with that amazing attack stat.

Fly actually isn't a bad idea, as most stuff that resists Edgequake is weak to Fly.
Well, Bounce has the massive advantage of a 30% paralysis rate. That means that, even if whatever you switch in takes a miniscule amount of damage from the move, you can still annoy the hell out of them by paralyzing them (think Jirachi; even stuff like Skarmory would HATE to get parahaxed at the wrong time when it really needs to Roost or Whirlwind). Fly, in contrast, just does damage. So unless you're hitting resists for massive amounts of damage despite that resistance, or the resists would be forced out by Landorus-T anyway, it's not really that effective. Landorus-T suffers from its reduced speed in that regard, because a Jirachi switching in to Fly would be able to outspeed, and could KO if Landorus is sufficiently weakened (or just hax you to death with Iron Head; if you're at low enough health that Iron Head 2HKOs, you'll die 60% of the time). That said, it does force switches, which is good for entry hazard damage, and if you can use Magnezone to trap and kill Steel-type switch ins to Fly, I could see it being effective.

I tried a Sub+Rock Polish set and it worked pretty well.

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute

By forcing switches, it can sub up, and then Rock Polish. +2 allows it to outspeed base 120 scarf (which are extremely rare in my experience) and Substitute can protect it from status/opposing Intimidate. Unfortunately if the opponent switches in an opposing Intimidate right away, it won't work as well. This was my first idea to test, so it could be revised.

edit: I made this set on PokeGen and didn't have PO opened so I edited an above set
sorry if anyone saw that and was confused ._.

Loaded up a Gravity team and gave this thing a shot. Its fair to say that Rock Polish Landorus-T is very, very threatening with hazards up (which are all the more devastating with Gravity up) and that after going 4-1 out of the first 5 games I played, it was an exceptionally strong late game sweeper. Intimidate was nice for being able to set up on shit like Ferrothorn, as well as just switching it in, lowing some things attack, switching back out etc etc.
Hey Ginganinja i was actually going to mention a gravity set but i figured you would have that covered seeing as you literally wrote the book on gravity lol anyway i will slash it in his set over fly.

Naw its a pretty solid pokemon with intimidate, it probably will end up in lower OU, but it will probably maintain its useage in OU for the foreseeable future.

ss234

bop.
The Scarf set looks like a great counter to Terrakion and Lucario, as well as other sweepers of the sort. The only real trouble would be if they subbed on the switch, but then he can Quake and then Quake again to take them out assuming they Swords Dance after they Substitute.

When rain calms down, I could see this guy becoming a staple on VoltTurn teams. Intimidate makes him excellent against set up physical sweepers, while the extra power over regular Landorus(not everyone can run sandstorm)is very useful for netting key KO's. The loss of speed isn't great though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)