Other Metagames Kyurem-White Supremacy: Rage Against the Paralysis - USUM Balanced Hackmons RMT

Welcome to another RMT, and one of the most fun teams I have ever made. The goal of the team is to set up a sweep with one of the coolest wallbreakers in the meta, Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-W, by paralyzing or removing all faster attackers, weakening down walls so it can just click boomburst against the rest of the team.
A note about paralysis: People are only beginning to see the true potential of paralysis in the metagame. Most para-spam teams used it as a way to sweep more reliably with their Imposter Pokemon, or in paraflinch gimmicks, or maybe as part of Hex-spam. But once the Sleep Suspect happens, which it will, Sleep will be severely nerfed. Paralysis is definitely the next best thing, and from my playtesting with this team, it's arguably a lot less competitive than sleep. Instead of being immobilized for 1 to 3 turns, you have a chance of being immobilized every turn. Besides the obvious game-changing implications of being fully paralyzed for a turne, there's an even greater psychological victory that comes from your opponent being fully paralyzed, and a greater burden placed on him. They must play even more safely than they do, giving you the momentum. Additionally, many less experienced players will become unhinged when their POkemon is fully paralyzed on a key turn, which can easily lead to a downhill spiral of hasty, bad moves.
But now, on to what you really wanted to read: THE TEAM!

The Team

Banette-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Ice Hammer
- Sunsteel Strike
- Shadow Sneak
I originally had Alolan Marowak in this slot, but it just wasn't powerful enough, barely 2hkoing anything that I wanted it to 2hKO with Spectral Thief. It did oneshot non-FF Steels with V-Create, and bonk the rest of them with Close Combat, but after V-Create it's slow that even with full speed evs and an adamant nature it only has 126 speed meaning that anything in the base 70 or higher speed tier outspeeds it and hits it hard or just recovers off damage. And it is no more improsterproof than Banette is, as Imposter still OHKOs with spectral thief even without a Thick Club and Marowak can't KO it back without minimizing defense.
Thus Banette is a better fit for this team, as it doesn't lose any speed when it uses its STAB. You may notice a lack of moves to hit Steels supereffectively, but Spectral Thief does at least 55% to Registeel, so only Prankster variants scare it out. Sunsteel Strike destroys Mega Audino, which shuts the rest of my team members down in one way or the other. It also threatens Sturdy Shedinja which I don't have any guaranteed way of beating. Spectral Thief can do about 80% to Primal Kyogre, which otherwise walls Kyurem-W with its Assault Vest intact.
A quick discussion about Ice Hammer: Ice Hammer is a nice move to hit Zygarde-C with, guaranteeing the ohko against non-Fur Coat sets and 2hKOing fur coat sets with Choice Band on it, but the secondary purpose is to punish people who have the popular Giratina + Mega Audino core. If you can pivot in Banette safely against Audino or Giratina, you can click Ice Hammer and save yourself some predictions. You either severely hurt Giratina for at least 94, or deal at least 41% to Mega Audino which has a good chance of 2hKOing with one entry hazard up.
Improof: always switch to Zygarde-C. I have invested 11 ivs into Zygarde's speed, which allows it to outspeed Banette by 1 point after an Ice Hammer and either recover off the damage or Nuzzle the Imposter, which makes it a nonissue for next time. (Ice Hammer does about 40% without boosting item.)

Kyurem-White @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Knock Off
- Clanging Scales
- Moongeist Beam
What a Bizarre moveset! What I've found about Specs Kyurem-W is that it really only needs Boomburst to do its job, because of the insane power behind Boomburst. Knock Off gets rid of the Assault Vests of Registeel, Dialga and Kyogre-P and the Eviolite from Chansey on their first switch, which makes Boomburst an easy 2hKO with hazards up. I have Clanging Scales on here for Primal Kyogre, but have almost never used it. It's the only question mark I have about this team: should I use a different move?
Another thing about Kyurem-W: if you know there's a Sheer Force MMY on the opposing team, you need to keep this at FULL HEALTH. Don't let it switch even into a layer of Spikes. Kyurem-W has enough bulk to live any hit of the standard Sheer Force set (Psychic/Ice Beam/Blue Flare/Earth Power/Bolt Strike), and a chance to survive Moonblast (It does 91-108%). If you are noticing a lot more Sheer Force Moonblast users, switch the nature to Mild, which lets you survive it guaranteed (83-98%). But be aware that you take a noticeable amount more from U-Turns and other light physical hits.
Moongeist Beam lets you hit Sturdy Shedinja and Mega Slowbro, but there isn't much else it hits harder than Boomburst, and Mega Slowbro gets 2hKOed by Boomburst unless it's running Soundproof.
Improof: Mega Audino can switch in, as it doesn't mind losing its Safety Goggles too much, and trap Imposter with Anchor Shot.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Recover
- Topsy-Turvy
- Parting Shot
- Nuzzle
The first of my Paralysis core. Chansey can easily switch into special wallbreakers and paralyze them. This Chansey set takes care of Triage Mega Rayquaza, as long as it doesn't run Drain Punch, and can even handle Sleep variants if it starts with about 70% health. Oblivion Wing does a paltry 17% which is quite nice. If Rayquaza sets up a sub just wait it out until they switch out, as there is little chance of Ray getting through Chansey (the only possible way is with consecutive three turn sleeps with a few Critical Hits). If it doesn't, you have the option of Topsy Turvying the boosts and switching to another mon on the weak attack, or Parting Shotting out.
Chansey simply shuts down the new Quiver Dance Arceus-Psychic sets that many ladder players are trying, which is nice because most normal methods of checking setup are not very effective against those new sets. It also handles Contrary MMY, Mega Sceptile, and Necro-Ultra sets quite well thanks to Unaware. Chansey can also have a fighting chance against QD Xerneas that don't run Magma Storm (sadly, many of them do). It must be kept at high health to handle Shell Smash Mega Gengar sets as Secret Sword does 42-50%, though if it can get in safely, it can permanently punish the Mega Gengar by paralyzing it.
Improof: If Mega Audino isn't super important to the team, You can switch it in on a predicted Nuzzle; they will have to switch out or be trapped as Parting Shot doesn't go through Soundproof. Otherwise, use Mega Mewtwo-X (assuming it's poisoned) as the improof.

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Glare
The standard utility Poison heal MMX set, with a twist. Getting Spikes set up is very useful for this team, as Flying-type Pokemon take supereffective damage from Kyurem-W anyway, so it's better to punish the grounded Pokemon. Glare allows me to paralyze Ground-types and Volt Absorb mons, and I don't mind if it's Magic Bounced once MMX has been poisoned. Knock Off lets me get rid of Leftovers, Safety Goggles, Rocky Helmets Eviolites and the like. Low Kick does nice damage to a lot of mons that annoy my sweepers including Primal Kyogre and Steel-Types.
Another thing about MMX: This is the secondary answer to Sheer Force MMY on the team. If you keep it at full health, which is more difficult to do because you will often be staying in on U-turns and other chip, you have a chance to survive any hit from MMY, including Moonblast (90-106%). This allows you to Glare it and Knock Off its Life Orb, newtering its threat level considerably.
Improof: There is no way to prevent the Imposter from setting a layer of Spikes on you, but you can at least click Glare, making life very annoying for the Imposter.

Zygarde-Complete @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 11 Spe
- Topsy-Turvy
- Defog
- Recover
- Nuzzle
This is the team's physical setup check and a nice physical wall. To demonstrate, +4 Mega Tyranitar's 260 bp Power Trip does about 85%, letting Zygarde Topsy Turvy the boost and then nuzzle to newter the sweeper in its tracks. Zygarde is also a very reliable Defogger, as it can survive a lot of hits including Giratina Core Enforcers to get off that emergency Defog. This set also handles Poison Heal Regigigas/Slaking sets, as Facade does a paltry 16% when unboosted, and Shift Gear only has 16 PP. This means that even if they sleep Zygarde, it can just Topsy Turvy and gain all the health back. This set can also switch in to most Mega Mewtwo X wallbreaking sets without Entry Hazards on the field.
Improof: It can't really do anything to itself, but you can also trap it with Audino if you don't mind Audino being paralyzed. And you get Stealth Rock up guaranteed if the Imposter stays in, as their paltry 5 defog pp will quickly deplete.

Audino-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Soundproof
Relaxed Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Parting Shot
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock
This is the team's -ate check, and arguably one of the most important members if an Imposter is around. Seriously, don't let Audino take extra damage if there's a chance an Imposter is on the other side. You can switch into almost any -ate set, unless they are carrying Life Orb, which can bring Audino into dangerous range of a 2hKO. Audino is also a great mon to bring in against Giratina and Zygarde-C, as it can get off a slow pivot. Against do-nothing teams (the ones that spend like 4 or 5 turns setting up Cosmic Power SHuckle is a good example), you can make good use of those turns by getting your hazards up and Parting Shotting to neuter any offensive boosts.
Improof: Itself. Trap it with Anchor SHot.

Threat list:
Mega Gengar: As I said before, setup Mega Gengar sets are very dangerous for this team. Normalize can easily be checked with Chansey, as Topsy Turvy followed by Parting Shot still works. I must keep Chansey at full health in order to take them on.
Substitute: Since the team relies heavily on paralysis to function, Substitute is a huge problem. Substitute + setup is very disturbing, because Topsy Turvy is my main form of setup control. The best I can do is Parting Shot out to Kyurem-W, and hope that Boomburst does enough to scare them out or OHKO through the sub. Spectral Thief on Banette also hits through subs, but its bulk is lackluster.
Mega Mewtwo Y: due to the larger number of possible MMY sets, my team can't cover them all. As I mentioned Sheer force is a very formidable set against my team, though I do have checks for it.
Knock Off: This team has no real Knock Off absorber unless MMY's Toxic Orb is activated. Aginst Dark-Type Knock Off users, especially the Choice Band sets of Mega Tar, I have to decide who I want to lose their Safety Goggles. The unlucky decision usually falls to Mega Audino.
Xerneas: The Poison Heal sweeper is very hard for me to stop, though I do have a fighting chance with Chansey.
Mixed contrary sweepers: these can easily get out of control. I usually end up saccing a mon and then going into Chansey or Zygarde-C to paralyze them, but if they have already gotten 2 speed boosts, the paralysis hardly matters except for a last-ditch hope for a full para.

replays
Note: these replays have Soundproof Steelix over Audino. The set is Thousand Waves / Stealth Rock / Shore Up / Volt Switch. These two mons play almost the same, except Soundproof Audino has a better resistance against -ate users' coverage moves, like V-Create.
wins
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-850010977
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-849721766
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-849438486
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-850393278

losses
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-849725720

Banette-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Ice Hammer
- Sunsteel Strike
- Shadow Sneak

Kyurem-White @ Choice Specs
Ability: Refrigerate
Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Knock Off
- Clanging Scales
- Sunsteel Strike

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Topsy-Turvy
- Parting Shot
- Nuzzle

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Glare

Zygarde-Complete @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 11 Spe
- Topsy-Turvy
- Defog
- Recover
- Nuzzle

Audino-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Soundproof
Relaxed Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Parting Shot
- Shore Up
- Stealth Rock

Note: You may have noticed the somewhat low ratings on the replays; this is because, I admit, I am not known for playing consistently flawless games. I know that my teambuilding is quite solid though, and I expect that better pilots can take this team quite far without making any major modifications to it.

Enjoy, and I hope to see other people try this team out on the ladder!

possible team modifications I've experimented with:

Unaware Chansey -> AV Regen Dialga: These two work very similarly, but DIalga seems to help the team a bit more at the high end, where people stop using as many nonstandard mons.
Chansey works better against totally special Contrary users, such as Mega Sceptile and MMX, as well as Triage Mega Rayquazas that run Spore over Substitute. Chansey also can hard-counter Normalize Gengar, and you should definitely use it if you keep MMX around. Chansey is also a better switchin to PH Xerneas.
Dialga works better against Specs Mega Rayquaza, as you can pivot between it and Mega Audino to handle the choice-locked move. Dialga can offensively threaten triage megaray as well. It's also a better Primal Kyogre switchin, especially for the PH sets.
The set:
Dialga @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 116 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Core Enforcer
- U-turn
- Spectral Thief
- Nuzzle
116 speed evs allows you to outspeed 150 base speed mons such as Deoxys-A after the paralysis speed drop, or if they try to Shell Smash against you and you Spectral Thief them.

PH MMX -> PH Xerneas: continuing with the bulky theme of this team, I have tried a Spikes PH Xerneas set. Xerneas starts out slow, but has the potential to sweep in the late game, giving another wincon to me. However, the switch to Xerneas makes the Steel matchup a bit tougher. It also has to switch out against PH Regigigas, putting more pressure on Zygarde-C to counter it. MMX can simply ohko it with a Low Kick after Spikes damage.
MMX works better against Regigigas, Primal Kyogre, Arceus, and Kyurem-B, which are weak to its STAB move. Because it outspeeds Mega Diancie, it forces Diancie to use a priority move. Many Diancie don't run Fake Out, and MMX can survive Extreme Speed at full health and cripple it for the rest of the game with Glare. If Mega DIancie is Magic Guard, MMX can cripple it at the cost of its own life, something Xerneas cannot do. It may set spikes more effectively as well, because it can threaten out many of the hazard control (Not Giratina, sadly, this makes it really annoying to play in these matchups as you need to keep doubling out to a wallbreaker).
Xerneas works well against teams that employ Giratina as their hazard control. It can also, after a boost, threaten Mega Rayquaza. Xerneas also matches up better against opposing Xerneas, as it can boost alongside them and threaten the Critical Hit or Moonblast SpA drop. Xerneas is also more improsterproof than MMX, as it can easily outsetup the Imposter. After extensive testing with Xerneas, I think that even with the extra wincon, it doesn't synergize as well with the team, which appreciates Steels being removed.

The set

Xerneas @ Toxic Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Spikes
- Moonblast
- Glare

Clanging Scales -> Grass Knot Kyurem-w
In hindsight this was an obvious choice, as Grass Knot 2hKOs Assault Vest Kyogre (44-52%) with one hazard up. It also does the same amount as Moongeist Beam to Mega Slowbro, but it's still worth keeping MGB on there for Shedinja. Clanging Scales was useless anyway. (It also does about 22% to Soundproof mAudino, and is the only move that Kyurem can actually hit it with.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)