Kingdra

Stockpile/Butterfly Dance Recipient StallDra

Ability: Damp/Swift Swim
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
IVs: 31 / * / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpDef (WiP spread)

Boiling Water
Dragon Pulse
Rest
Yawn/Toxic/Substitute/HP Fire/Sleep Talk

This is meant to be passed a few Stockpiles from something like Smeargle, or a similar defensive boost, preferably Butterfly Dance. Calm Mind and Stockpile also work wonders if Passing those are possible. Works best with Toxic Spikes to aid stalling and to fend off Blissey, who can beat this set.

Boiling Water is the main attraction to this Kingdra, allowing it to potentially cripple an incoming Dragon or other physical sweeper/wallbreaker. Also, enemies who come in immune to Toxic Spikes have a chance of being struck with a life-draining burn. Dragon Pulse exists for STAB purposes, as well as warding off dragons like Salamence. Rest is the only form of recovery Kingdra can achieve, and after a few Stockpiles or Calm Minds passed, would be able to take a turn or two of being asleep.

The last move Kingdra can carry is dependent on what you wish to achieve. Yawn helps psuedo-phaze enemies. Toxic can afflict deadly poison to those who would not be affected by Toxic Spikes like levitators. Substitute can protect from Status and help Kingdra stall a bit better/protect from revengers. Finally, HP Fire can help fend off Nattorei from walling the set completely. Sleep Talk allows you the chance to fire off a Dragon Pulse or a lucky burn from Boiling Water without draining PP, and prevents you from being complete setup bait.

It is highly advised that this Kingdra makes it's appearance when opposing Dragons are weakened or killed, as Kingdra would not be able to take more than a single Draco Meteor without being passed a boost, and an unburned Outrage is also threatening. If Sleep Talk is chosen as the fourth technique, Damp may or may not be fully compatible, due to Sleep Talk not being readily available in Gen 5, as well as due to Damp being of Dream World. Swift Swim is an acceptable alternative given the abundance of Drizzle Politoad.

Thoughts/criticism would be helpful.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Rest without Sleep Talk is just terrible. If you are asleep, you are set up bait for virtually everything.

Overall, that set requires way too much effort to set up and offers little reward. I would stick to DD RestTalk if you want to play with Kingdra in a more defensive manner. ;)

It looks like a interesting set, you would need to get rid of all the opposing dragons, because they can inflict massive damage even with the defense boosts, or even worse, Dragon Dance or Swords Dance. I'd also say Sleep talk in the last slot. With out, Toxic spikes, it is walled by Blissey, to.

Rest without Sleep Talk is just terrible. If you are asleep, you are set up bait for virtually everything.
Slashing Sleep Talk in as a fourth option. I just wanted to take advantage of Kingdra's typing without being a mono-type attacker like the RestTalk DD set, and to find a way to work with Damp and Boiling Water.

I'm pretty sure Focus energy, only works once, so you can use it once. That set looks cool though.
Aww man! That is so lame, it has 30PP but you can only use it once?! I'm hoping they changed that in BW engine, otherwise what's the point in the move? 1 Focus Energy and Wide Lens would only give you 25% chance to crit.

I'll update my previous post then :(

Just a breif question, but by any chance, does Kingdra also learn Dragon Tail? It seems an acceptable alternative to my Stalldra set suggestion over Pulse should phazing be an untauntable option. If not, I suppose Roar might suffice, if I recall Kingdra being able to learn that.

Just a breif question, but by any chance, does Kingdra also learn Dragon Tail? It seems an acceptable alternative to my Stalldra set suggestion over Pulse should phazing be an untauntable option. If not, I suppose Roar might suffice, if I recall Kingdra being able to learn that.
Even though Kingdra, is Dragon type it cannot learn dragon tail, that's how shallow it's movepool is.

Yah i kind of agree with Super mario on the Boiling water set...It kind of looks underwhelming and kind of hard to pull off a sweep if you ask me...Generally i think this kind of job is better suited amonst his other bulky water breatheren.
And lol nice set volcano...Too bad he dsnt get something with high crit chance.
And colonel no Kingdra dsn't learn dragon tail even tho we can see he has a HUGE ass fucking tail.

The Boiling Water set is not meant for sweeping. It is meant to take a similar task like a bulky water, only playing on superior coverage and typing over things like Swampert. I never intended for it to be a sweeping set, else I would have had Swift Swim in the first slot and perhaps Dragon Dance somewhere.

On the other hand, the lack of Dragon Tail and Roar disappoints me greatly. Boiling Water/Phaze/RestTalk would have seemed quite the good set using his defenses. But alas.

Hey, I just read that the grass steel thing resists Kingdra's STABs. This means that fighting is special Kingdra's Hidden Power of choice (to hit Empoleon as well)

Disable's update makes it pretty cool IMO. It has one weakness that isn't easily exploitable with Dragon Dance and a host of useful resistances like those to Fire and Water.

Kingdra@Leftovers
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Disable
- Waterfall/Outrage

You can DD on a switch, set-up a sub (which gets broken by a Celebi Grass Knot or Nattorei Power Whip or Empoleon Ice Beam or whatever), and Disable the next turn. After that you can boost freely since your opponent's best answer to Kingdra can't touch you! Maybe abit gimmicky but Kingdra is probably the best candidate to take advantage of the new and improved Disable.

Disable's update makes it pretty cool IMO. It has one weakness that isn't easily exploitable with Dragon Dance and a host of useful resistances like those to Fire and Water.

Kingdra@Leftovers
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Disable
- Waterfall/Outrage

You can DD on a switch, set-up a sub (which gets broken by a Celebi Grass Knot or Nattorei Power Whip or Empoleon Ice Beam or whatever), and Disable the next turn. After that you can boost freely since your opponent's best answer to Kingdra can't touch you! Maybe abit gimmicky but Kingdra is probably the best candidate to take advantage of the new and improved Disable.
I could see this set working so long as your enemy isn't packing any Water Absorbers on their team. If you stick with Outrage you'd best be using this guy as a VERY late game sweeper. This set isn't any more gimmicky than the set I posted lol

It looks like a decent set, however with running Disable, you are mono-attacking which is almost never good. It could be better, if it was more bulky so that normal attacks wouldn't break the sub, so you would get another Dragon Dance.

Well.. you posted a mono attacker in the OP as well haha. Mm it can work because if your opponent's switch-in to Kingdra can't break its Substitute and his Scarf Flygon or Scarf Genosekuto gets its move Disabled every time then the game's pretty much in the bag. The set is just an unrefined idea that I had been considering really, so if it doesn't work out then don't flame me :x

woah, I wasn't flaming you, I was just giving you a suggestion. Yes, I put a Monattacker Kingdra in the OP, but the set I posted is quite different. And can easily set up with out disable or substitute

This guy is the face of rain teams...
Eternal rain is pretty much the only change for it ... insane...
Well, yes, for the most part. The only big change I see in Kingdra is Boiling Water (Which may see use on more defensive sets outside of Rain. You never know. I might try it.) and a new ally in Politoad. At the same time, however, it gained another enemy in Nattorei, who resists both STABs like Empoleon. Although admittingly, unlike Empoleon, all Nattorei can likely do is Power Whip or Explosion.

Well, yes, for the most part. The only big change I see in Kingdra is Boiling Water (Which may see use on more defensive sets outside of Rain. You never know. I might try it.) and a new ally in Politoad. At the same time, however, it gained another enemy in Nattorei, who resists both STABs like Empoleon. Although admittingly, unlike Empoleon, all Nattorei can likely do is Power Whip or Explosion.
adding on to that: a nerfed explosion.

however, nattorei does have 94 attack. I didn't really think it would get that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)