SS OU Kingdra/Leafeon Duo

:xy/Kingdra: :xy/Leafeon: :xy/Raikou: :xy/Zapdos-Galar: :xy/Mudsdale: :xy/Victini:

Kingdra/Leafeon Duo

Introduction

Niche Pokemon has always interested me. I've always sought out niche, underused, forgotten Pokemon to bring them back into the spotlight. The good thing about using niche Pokemon is how the opponent try to play against them. Because these Pokemon aren't used much, many opposing trainers can't suspect, predict, or know what's going on too well, causing them to have poor judgement. This becomes and immediate 1 up on the opponent. I got the idea of using Leafeon & Kingdra on this team was because they're some of my all-time favorite Pokemon. (Also props to Lord Emvee for the Kingdra's moveset).

Team Building Process

1632093724515.png

Kingdra @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 52 HP / 176 Atk / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Focus Energy
- Dragon Dance
- Liquidation
- Scale Shot
To start off we have Kingdra. Now, I haven't used Kingdra much in my teams, but after I saw a specific Kindra moveset (ty again Lord Emvee), I saw how much potential it could have. And that's how I started making my team. Kingdra's moveset is highly similar to many Inteleon. You mainly want to Dragon Dance, then Focus Energy. This makes it to where you will most likely out-speed the opponent, and hit a boosted crit in return. Liquidation will cause major damage with a crit and stab, and Scale Shot is a really good multi-hit attack that boosts speed even more, and help deals with Pokemon that may have focus sash. Another plus for Kingdra is it's typing. Water/Dragon is an amazing typing that will resist Fire and Water 4x, and becomes neutral to Electric and Grass. (Also resists steel 2x). This means it's only weakness is Dragon and Fairy, just like any other dragon types.

1632093826639.png

Leafeon @ Power Herb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Solar Blade
- Dig
- Knock Off​

Next off we have the second star of the team, Leafeon. The best Eeveelution >:). I wanted to add leafeon to this team, because I recently saw how much of a powerhouse this Pokemon is. This Pokemon's star move is Solar Blade, which is a base 125 attack move, that also gets stab! This Pokemon also has the uncommon move Dig, which is almost essential for taking out unsuspecting Heatrans. This move also pairs really well with it's item Power Herb; an item that will change 2-turn moves to only take up 1 turn. The next move, Swords Dance only boosts Leafeon's potential even more, upping it's total attack stat to 700. And finally, Knock Off, which is arguably the best utility move; to remove the opposing's held item. This Pokemon will cut through your opponent until there's nothing left, outspeeding all with it's ability Chlorophyll. (Will outspeed Regieleki that has max speed EV's without Timid nature). Leafeon presents some amazing defense and some decent hp. But be warned, Leafeon's sp.def is on the low side, with it being 65 base sp.def.

1632094570549.png

Raikou @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Scald
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball​

Half-way there! Next we have Raikou (One of my favorite legends to use). Raikou is a very strong & speedy Pokemon. Raikou is great for versatility. With it's main move being Thunderbolt; which gets stab. Scald, which is amazing for trying to burn your opponent; 30% chance. Aura Sphere, which can be really handy against Tyranitar and Bisharp. And Shadow Ball, which is even more versatility, and is a good counter against Dragapult. While this Pokemon may not OHKO the opponent, it's pretty good for scaring the opponent to switching out, or for chipping the opposing Pokemon's hp. This Pokemon has above average sp.def (base 100) and hp (base 90), it does have a below average defense (base 75) so be warned.

1632095523695.png

Zapdos-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Steel Wing​

This Pokemon's stats and playstyle reminds me of Staraptor, an all-out offensive Pokemon, except, this pokemon has all-round better stats. This Pokemon is a really good lead if you just want to get some damage down, or are un-sure what your opponent will start off with. (Because you can always U-Turn out). This Pokemon has a good 90 base hp, 125 base atk, 90 base def./sp.def, and 100 base spe. Making this Pokemon naturally bulky, and very strong, which is perfect to tank a hit, then strike back with Brave Bird, and still survive. This Pokemon is an amazing counter to Landorus, or other Pokemon with Intimidate like Incineroar, since it will activate this Pokemon's ability Defiant (Which will give +2 stages of attack, which after Intimidate becomes +1 stage of attack).

muds (1).jpg

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Def
Adamant Nature
- Body Press
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head​

Mudsdale is a strong tanky Pokemon, with it's unique ability Stamina, any physical / special attack will always add +1 stage of defense, and with it's held item Assault Vest, It can easily tank special attacks right off the bat. Due to Mudsdale high attack, it doesn't need to set up at all, and has an amazing base hp (100). Body Press is the perfect move for this Pokemon because, as it takes more damage from non-status moves, it will deal more damage in the form of Body Press. Earthquake is a strong ground move + stab, which is always useful. Rock Slide & Iron Head are versatility moves that is amazing for taking out bug/fire & fairy type Pokemon. Overall, this Pokemon is a nice mix between Tank and Power. (From my experience, this Pokemon is amazing against skill link Pokemon like Cloyster, even after it shell smashes, as it's attack only boosts your defense and Body Press's power).

1632096977800.png

Victini @ Heat Rock
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- V-create
- Sunny Day
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break​

Last, but not least, we have Victini! I chose to do a bulky Victini set, to ensure I can set up Sunny Day to pair with Leafeon, and to boost it's V-Create. I chose a standard Victini set for this team, because it can never hurt to have more versatility. This Pokemon has a surprising amount of hp and defenses, and can easily live a super-effect move like earthquake. This Pokemon is sometimes a good lead, if you have a strong suspicion that your opponent will bring in a Pokemon that's weak to fire, like Ferrothorn or Scizor. This Pokemon's unnatural bulk also has a surprise factor, because it is not seen too much, and a lot of people expect an all out offensive Pokemon paired with choice scarf, which might also affect the opponent's judgement.

Fatal Weaknesses
  • This team has some crucial weaknesses, most notably the lack to get rid of hazards, which can in certain situations be the reason of whether you win or lose.
  • Like the last weakness, this team doesn't throw hazards on the opponent's side, which removes the chip damage overtime from the opponent switching in and out.
  • This team doesn't have any main status moves like Toxic, which means, some Pokemon can wall out this team. (Most likely during late-game, when some other Pokemon on this team has fainted).​
  • Taunt. Half of this team almost relies on status moves, (Victini -> Sunny-Day. Kingdra -> DD & Focus Energy. Leafeon -> Swords Dance), so having being taunt, it can be really tough to play around it.​
  • Pure Glass Cannons. Pokemon that can potentially OHKO the team, and naturally outspeeds all of them (or if they have set up too much against you) can easily sweep and win.​

Any Suggestions / Changes?
If you have any suggestions or changes that can be made to better the team, PLEASE reply to this message with your ideas. I'm always looking to innovate and change my teams for the better, and I feel like this team can definitely use some changes, I'm just not sure how I should change this team myself. Thank you for staying with me through all this text, and even a greater thank you if you try out / use this team yourself! Peace!
-Spooky

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Hello and welcome to Smogon!

This team seems to be a little bit all over the place, with multiple pokemon being below OU usage (which absolutely isn't a bad thing).
The pokemon you've chosen seem to have been half hazardly placed on the team without necessarely filling a role.

I'd recommend starting a team off with a single pokemon you'd like to build around, figuring out it's niche (why it's good in the metagame), and then building the rest of your team around it's flaws, and how to support it.

I personally wouldn't recommend building around both Kingdra and Leafeon on a single team, but either of them individually definitely have a role they can fulfill, Kingdra usually fits on rain teams as a fast cleaner with swift swim, while Leafeon fits on sun teams with a similar role to what you've built here.

Edit:
I'd also recommend checking out these tools as well, they're very helpful when creating a team:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-dlc2-viability-ranking-thread-see-page-53.3674058/
^^ Lists prominent pokemon in the metagame, your team should usually have an answer to mons from S to A- Rank.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-role-compendium.3657644/
^^ Lists the mons that can fulfill a certain role, such as defogger, hazard setter, etc.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)