Gen 2 Jynx (GSC OU) [QC 2/2] [GP 2/2]

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]

Jynx is a high-risk, high-reward type of Pokemon. Its Special Attack, Speed, access to Lovely Kiss, and combination of STAB attacks that is scarcely resisted in GSC OU make it a great sweeper and status inducer. It 2HKOes a huge number of the viable offensive Pokemon in the metagame, which can force somewhat of a passive response, allowing the Jynx user to gain momentum. Jynx is the only sleep inducer that straight up 2HKOes the most common sleep and general status absorber, Zapdos, and can even take it on one-on-one without relying on Sleep Talk rolls going in its favor. In the absence of one of a few specific viable Sleep Talk users, like Snorlax or Vaporeon, opponents must often effectively sacrifice one Pokemon to sleep and then have an additional healthy Pokemon capable of taking Jynx on. However, Jynx also comes with significant liabilities, which are its frailty, due to its poor defensive typing and stats, and its almost total uselessness when inflicted with status. These traits make it difficult to bring in at times. Nevertheless, Jynx has changed the way that offensive teams are structured in GSC OU and has gone from a niche pick to a metagame standard.

[SET]
name: Lullaby
move 1: Lovely Kiss
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Substitute / Thief / Nightmare
item: Leftovers / No Item

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
The coverage of Ice Beam and Psychic is resisted only by Starmie and Forretress in OU, neither of which commonly run Sleep Talk. Even many special walls such as Blissey and Raikou don't appreciate being put to sleep, although the latter can mitigate this by using Sleep Talk. Substitute allows Jynx to mitigate its frailty and weakness to status, as well as giving it extra turns and safety. These turns better its odds to put something to sleep and let it fish for freezes or Special Defense drops with its STAB attacks, which can allow Jynx to break through its supposed checks. Thief is commonly used over Substitute to steal Leftovers from common switch-ins such as Snorlax, Suicune, Raikou, and Blissey that attempt to wall it. This allows Jynx and its teammates to break through these Pokemon more easily and subsequently inflict sleep on a Pokemon the opponent would rather have kept free of status. Thief Jynx is often used as a lead to steal Leftovers early on, supposing the lead matchup is advantageous. Jynx threatens a lot of common leads such as non-Sleep Talk users, Exeggutor, and Nidoking. Nightmare is sometimes seen over Substitute or Thief to beat down sleeping Pokemon that Jynx cannot 3HKO like Suicune and Snorlax. It can force them into Rest loops, in which they are highly susceptible to Special Defense drops and critical hits, and also punishes Sleep Talk users by putting them at great risk if they call Rest while inflicted with Nightmare. The overall purpose of Nightmare is to force switches, which Jynx is very effective at punishing if the opponent does not have numerous Pokemon capable of taking its powerful special attacks.

Team Options
=============
Jynx appreciates teammates that can keep up offensive momentum. While losing momentum occasionally is acceptable, Jynx teams commonly struggle when the opponent is aggressively playing around them rather than taking them on passively. This means using Pokemon that are very difficult to respond to passively like Cloyster, Whirlwind Zapdos, and Gengar or, if a threat requires a passive response, using Pokemon like Curse Snorlax that similarly force passive responses from the opponent rather than allowing them to gain momentum. Jynx also helps offensive teams overwhelm the opponent's defensive measures by softening up or gaining advantages against defensive Pokemon through Lovely Kiss or Thief, and Spikes support from Cloyster or Forretress helps Jynx dish out damage more effectively. Pokemon that can deal with varieties of RestTalk Snorlax complement Jynx particularly well, as it typically draws them in. Gengar is immune to the Curse set and only fears the Earthquake set or a burn from Flamethrower; it also switches into Forretress without Hidden Power Ghost to stop it from getting a Rapid Spin off against Jynx. While Golem still takes super effective damage from Earthquake and the rare Surf from Sleep Talk Snorlax, it can get a Rapid Spin off against it and shuffle the opponent's team with Roar. Pokemon that check Jynx, such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, and Umbreon, are commonly threatened by Machamp, making it a great partner. A sleeping Snorlax makes an especially great entry point for Machamp, which is typically not a Pokemon you want to give opportunities to. Jynx and Machamp together can also apply pressure on poisoned Starmie by making it switch in and take residual damage. Sweepers that appreciate Raikou being worn down, such as Vaporeon, appreciate Jynx stealing its Leftovers or gradually weakening it. Jynx still appreciates Pokemon that can reliably stomach Thunders from Raikou, though, such as Steelix and Sleep Talk Snorlax. Jynx also makes for an excellent recipient of Special Attack boosts from Baton Pass users such as Vaporeon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Mean Look sets must drop Lovely Kiss due to the sleep move + Mean Look ban, but they can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's STAB attacks. Perish Song + Mean Look can take huge advantage of more passive responses to Jynx such as Suicune and already sleeping Sleep Talk Snorlax. However, these sets are somewhat inconsistent due to Jynx being unable to stomach much damage, and foes can threaten it with heavy damage even if they cannot phaze to cancel Mean Look. This set is also harder to bring in than other users of this strategy, such as Gengar, due to its lack of notable resistances or immunities. Counter can be used on some sets to target physically offensive checks to Jynx such as Snorlax. Hidden Power Fire hits Forretress but can be hard to justify over one of the utility moves.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Special Walls**: Blissey, Raikou, Suicune, and Snorlax can all switch into Jynx and threaten it out with status or damage. However, they must be wary of Thief or Lovely Kiss along with the threat of the secondary effects from Jynx's STAB attacks.

**Dark-types**: Umbreon, Houndoom, and Tyranitar can all reliably Pursuit trap Jynx, although they can't do this while asleep. Houndoom and Tyranitar threaten it with an OHKO if it does not switch, although Houndoom will fail to OHKO the majority of the time and Speed ties Jynx. Tyranitar takes a sizeable chunk from Ice Beam too. Umbreon's Pursuit does not break Jynx's Substitute, so Jynx can still try to put it to sleep or freeze it.

**Starmie and Forretress**: Starmie and Forretress can both switch into Jynx thanks to their resistances to its STAB attacks, provided Sleep Clause is active, and threaten it out or get a Rapid Spin off. Forretress, though, is especially vulnerable to Thief, and some of its movesets check Jynx better than others.

**Sleep Talk Users**: Pokemon such as Snorlax, Raikou, and Moltres can come in on Jynx and absorb the Lovely Kiss to activate Sleep Clause while threatening Jynx back immediately. Jynx can still gain advantages against them through Thief, gradual damage, and secondary effects with STAB attacks.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Diophantine, 370164]]
- Quality checked by: [[BKC, 52012], [Earthworm, 15210]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [Finland, 517429]]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mean Look sets with Perish Song or Nightmare that drop Psychic can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's Ice Beam. However, this set is somewhat inconsistent due to Jynx being unable to stomach much damage, so there are more ways around it than simply phazing.
I would split the descriptions of Perish and Nightmare. For the latter, it is not as important that phazers are pressured by Jynx as bulky waters still check Jynx well. Perish Song can take huge advantage of more passive responses to Jynx (Suicune, already sleeping Sleep Talk Lax) which is the most appealing OO for me personally.

jynx partners
machamp must mentioned as a jynx partner. the pokes that check jynx are terrified of it - lax, ttar, umb, bliss, eq sets even threaten raikou too. even the occasional houndoom runs from it. the jynx -> champ double switch, especially with spikes up, is seriously fierce. jynx sleeping something also gives machamp more freedom to come in and wreak havoc. finally, the two of them can gang up on a toxiced starmie (cloy) over the course of a longer game.

looks good otherwise, qc 1/2 once this is added

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
I would split the descriptions of Perish and Nightmare. For the latter, it is not as important that phazers are pressured by Jynx as bulky waters still check Jynx well. Perish Song can take huge advantage of more passive responses to Jynx (Suicune, already sleeping Sleep Talk Lax) which is the most appealing OO for me personally.
machamp must mentioned as a jynx partner. the pokes that check jynx are terrified of it - lax, ttar, umb, bliss, eq sets even threaten raikou too. even the occasional houndoom runs from it. the jynx -> champ double switch, especially with spikes up, is seriously fierce. jynx sleeping something also gives machamp more freedom to come in and wreak havoc. finally, the two of them can gang up on a toxiced starmie (cloy) over the course of a longer game.

looks good otherwise, qc 1/2 once this is added
Done both. Thanks. QC 1/2 now.

[OVERVIEW]

Jynx is a high-risk, high-reward type of Pokemon. Her Special Attack, Speed, access to Lovely Kiss, and a typing that is scarcely resisted in OU make Jynx a great sweeper and status inducer. However, Jynx's biggest liabilities are her frailty, due to her poor defensive typing and stats, and the fact that she loses almost all viability when inflicted by status. Hence, Jynx can be difficult to bring in at times, but when she arrives on the battlefield, her presence is made known. Jynx has changed the way that offensive teams are structured in GSC OU and has gone from a niche pick to a metagame standard in recent years.
This is not bad, but I think it doesn't quite drive home the reason why Jynx has been so influential. To narrow in on the parts that I think could be improved on:
Her Special Attack, Speed, access to Lovely Kiss, and a typing that is scarcely resisted in OU make Jynx a great sweeper and status inducer.
While the combination of STAB attacks (which might be a better label than "typing") being scarcely resisted does play a role, what I think the key to Jynx's success in the metagame comes down to a few factors that don't appear to have been addressed:
- It is the only sleep inducer that straight up 2HKOes the most common sleep/status absorber (Zapdos) and can even (albeit slightly shakily) take it on one-on-one without relying on Sleep Talk rolls going in its favour.
- It 2HKOes a huge number of the viable offensive Pokemon in the metagame, which can force a (somewhat) passive response, allowing the Jynx user to gain momentum.
- In the absence of a particular subset of viable Sleep Talk users (Snorlax, Vaporeon), Jynx will often require the opponent to effectively sacrifice one Pokemon to sleep and then require them to have another healthy Pokemon capable of taking it on.

There are some additional, less critical points that could also be covered:
- Jynx has options at its disposal (Thief, Nightmare) that can potentially allow it to cripple or bypass even some of its more reliable checks.
- Jynx's access to Substitute in combination with Lovely Kiss often allows it to fire off numerous attacks in a battle, which increases the odds of it inflicting a crippling freeze, powering through its checks with Psychic's Special Defense drops, or landing a critical hit.

However, Jynx's biggest liabilities are her frailty, due to her poor defensive typing and stats, and the fact that she loses almost all viability when inflicted by status.
Nitpick: viability I would say is not the most appropriate word since it is a term that is primarily used in the context of metagames / team building rather than individual battles. Perhaps "usefulness" would be better.
and has gone from a niche pick to a metagame standard in recent years.
I'm conscious that this analysis will probably be up for a while. "In recent years" can probably be removed.

[SET]
name: Sleep Spreader
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Lovely Kiss
move 4: Substitute / Nightmare / Thief
item: Leftovers / no item
Not sure on the name "Sleep Spreader". It kind of implies that there's no Sleep Clause. Maybe something like "Sleeper" could be a more apt description. But feel free to get a bit more creative if you like. I'd also put Lovely Kiss as move 1 as it's the most mandatory and important move (although Ice Beam is arguably equally mandatory).

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
The coverage of Ice Beam and Psychic is resisted only by Starmie and Forretress in OU, neither of which commonly run Sleep Talk. Even many Special walls such as Blissey and Raikou don't appreciate being put to sleep, assuming the latter is not running Sleep Talk.
Nitpicking again, but there's an implication here that Raikou appreciates being put to sleep if it is running Sleep Talk. It might be better to say something like "although the latter can mitigate this issue by running Sleep Talk".

Substitute allows Jynx to mitigate its frailty and weakness to status inflictions as well as giving her extra turns and safety to put something to sleep or fish for freezes or Special Defence drops with its STAB attacks, which can be detrimental in the right circumstances.
"which can be detrimental" can be changed to something more specific and clear, like "which can allow Jynx to break through its checks".
Thief is also commonly used over Substitute to steal Leftovers from common switch ins such as Snorlax, Suicune, Raikou and Blissey that attempt to wall it.
I'd say there is more you can say here. i.e. "This can allow Jynx and its teammates to break through these Pokemon more easily and thereby potentially inflict sleep on a Pokemon the opponent would rather have kept free of status."
Nightmare is sometimes seen over Substitute or Thief to punish common Sleep Talk users
Again, I think additional detail is warranted here. I think Nightmare's use case is not entirely limited to Sleep Talk users either--it can target anything that has been hit with Lovely Kiss as well as anything that uses Rest. The key targets are in fact Pokemon that Jynx cannot 3HKO with its STAB attacks. It can force them into Rest loops in which they are highly susceptible to Special Defense drops and critical hits, and also punish Sleep Talk users by putting them at great risk if they call Rest while being inflicted with Nightmare. The overall effect of this is to force switches, which Jynx is very effective at punishing if the opponent does not have numerous Pokemon capable of taking its powerful special attacks.

In the context of Thief, Jynx is often used as a lead. It would be good to cover why this is effective and how it achieves its goal of starting a battle with momentum.

Team Options
=============
Due to her aforementioned weaknesses, Jynx favors being on offensive teams that aim to dictate tempo to give her as many chances to switch in as possible.
I find this sentence quite vague even if it theoretically makes some sense. The weaknesses you mention are quite far from this section of the analysis so I think some additional clarity would be good here. Do you mean to say that it brings very few useful defensive traits to a team? Also, I often find that Jynx only comes in once or twice in a battle so I am not sure that part of the sentence is necessary.

The most effective common strategy I see with Jynx is attempting to overload the opponent's defensive measures through the use of special and mixed attackers with Thief and/or Explosion.

Another key point that should be mentioned here is that Jynx really appreciates teammates that can keep up offensive momentum. While losing momentum occasionally is acceptable, I most commonly see Jynx teams struggle when the opponent is aggressively playing around them rather than taking them on passively. This means using Pokemon that are either very difficult to respond to passively (Cloyster, phazing Zapdos, Gengar), or where it is necessary to take something on "passively", doing so in such a way that forces a passive response from the opponent rather than allowing them to gain momentum (e.g. Curse RestTalk Monolax, sometimes). You have mentioned "offensive teams that aim to dictate tempo" but I feel that it has been mentioned with shaky reasoning and without sufficient explanation.

Pokemon that appreciate Sleep Talk Snorlax, like Gengar, who is immune to the Curse set and only fears the Earthquake set or a burn from Flamethrower, and Golem, who still takes super effective damage from Earthquake and the rare Surf, who can get a Rapid Spin off and shuffle the opponent's team with Roar, compliment Jynx well, as she typically draws them in.
This is among the more confusing sentences that I have read in my time. I think you mean to say "Pokemon that can deal with varieties of RestTalk Snorlax in particular".

Pokemon that check Jynx, such as Snorlax, Tyranitar and Umbreon, are commonly threatened by Machamp, making it a great partner. The two can also apply pressure on poisoned Starmie.
An additional point here is that a sleeping Snorlax tends to make for a great entry point to Machamp, which is typically not a Pokemon you want to give opportunities to.

Also, Jynx doesn't easily apply pressure to poisoned Starmie beyond potentially making it switch in and take residual damage.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Mean Look sets that drop Psychic can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's Ice Beam.
...but Lovely Kiss is illegal with Mean Look. It might be a good idea to mention that as well as potential sets that could still work with Mean Look. e.g. Counter or Perish Song, as well as the circumstances that would be needed to pull such a set off.

Nightmare helps deal with Pokemon that try to beat Jynx through Sleep Talk.
This is already in the set.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Dark types** Umbreon, Houndoom and Tyranitar can all reliably Pursuit trap Jynx, although they can't do this while asleep. Umbreon's Pursuit does not break Jynx's Substitute, so Jynx can still try to put it to sleep or freeze it. Tyranitar still takes a sizeable chunk from Ice Beam too.
I think it's worth mentioning that Houndoom and Tyranitar threaten it with an OHKO if it does not switch (though Houndoom will fail to OHKO the majority of the time and Speed ties Jynx). I'm not sure if Umbreon should be described as being able to reliably Pursuit trap Jynx, considering that Jynx has numerous ways to deal with it without being hit by an 80 power Pursuit.

**Starmie and Forretress** can both switch into Jynx, provided Sleep Clause is active, and threaten her out or get a Rapid Spin off. Forretress especially must be careful of Thief Jynx.
Some of Forretress's ability to take Jynx on is dependent on its moveset. That could be briefly mentioned. It might also be worth mentioning that these two resist both of Jynx's STAB attacks.

I'll take another look once these comments have been addressed.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Mean Look sets that drop Lovely Kiss, due to incompatibility issues, can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's STAB attacks.
It's because of the Sleep trap ban rather than incompatibility issues.

Counter can be used on some Mean Look sets to target physically offensive checks to Jynx such as Tyranitar and Snorlax.
Tyranitar OHKOes, so this should probably only be Snorlax. And then, it's only Double-Edge Snorlax. I guess it could also be used without Mean Look.

Checks and Counters
===================
I think Moltres should be mentioned in here somewhere.

edit: Please also mention Jynx's effectiveness as a Growth pass recipient in team options section.

QC 2/2

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
It's because of the Sleep trap ban rather than incompatibility issues.

Tyranitar OHKOes, so this should probably only be Snorlax. And then, it's only Double-Edge Snorlax. I guess it could also be used without Mean Look.

I think Moltres should be mentioned in here somewhere.

edit: Please also mention Jynx's effectiveness as a Growth pass recipient in team options section.

QC 2/2
Done. Thanks.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
AM Check :)
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC)=Add/Remove Comma
(AH)=Add Hyphen
(RP)=Remove Period
(RCS)=Replace Comma with Semicolon

[OVERVIEW]

Jynx is a high-risk, high-reward type of Pokemon. Her Its Special Attack, Speed, access to Lovely Kiss, and a combination of STAB attacks that is scarcely resisted in GSC OU make Jynx a great sweeper and status inducer. It 2HKOes a huge number of the viable offensive Pokemon in the metagame, which can force somewhat of a passive response, allowing the Jynx user to gain momentum. Jynx is the only sleep inducer that straight up 2HKOes the most common sleep/status sleep and general status absorber, Zapdos, and can even take it on one-on-one without relying on Sleep Talk rolls going in its favour. (American spelling) Without a particular subset of viable Sleep Talk users one among specific viable Sleep Talk users(AC), like Snorlax and or Vaporeon, Jynx will often require the opponent to effectively sacrifice one Pokemon to sleep and then require them to have another an additional (subjective - clarity/emphasis) healthy Pokemon capable of taking it on. However, Jynx's biggest liabilities are her its frailty, due to her its poor defensive typing and stats, and the fact that she loses almost all usefulness its almost total uselessness when inflicted by status. Hence, Jynx can be These make it difficult to bring in at times(RC), but when she arrives on the battlefield, her presence is made known. Nevertheless, Jynx has changed the way that offensive teams are structured in GSC OU and has gone from a niche pick to a metagame standard.

[SET]
move 4: Substitute / Nightmare / Thief (your analysis is written as if the order is Sub/Thief/Nightmare. You should either change to this order, or put Nightmare's section before Thief's and change their lead-ins to reflect the order given here)
item: Leftovers / No Item (capitalization)

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
The coverage of Ice Beam and Psychic is resisted only by Starmie and Forretress in OU, neither of which commonly run Sleep Talk. Even many special (capitalization) walls such as Blissey and Raikou don't appreciate being put to sleep, although the latter can mitigate this by using Sleep Talk. Substitute allows Jynx to mitigate its frailty and weakness to status inflictions as well as giving her it extra turns and safety - and hence better odds -(AP). These turns better its odds to to put something to sleep or and let it fish for freezes or Special Defense (spelling) drops with its STAB attacks, which can allow Jynx to break through its supposed checks. Thief is also commonly used over Substitute to steal Leftovers from common switch(AH)-ins such as Snorlax, Suicune, Raikou(AC), and Blissey that attempt to wall it. This can allow allows Jynx and its teammates to break through these Pokemon more easily and thereby potentially subsequently (you should make sure this is still good content-wise) inflict sleep on a Pokemon the opponent would rather have kept free of status. Thief Jynx is often used as a lead which allows it to steal Leftovers early on, supposing the lead matchup is advantageous. Jynx threatens a lot of common leads such as non-Sleep Talk users, Exeggutor(AC), and Nidoking. Nightmare is sometimes seen over Substitute or Thief to beat down sleeping Pokemon that Jynx cannot 3HKO like Suicune and Snorlax. It can force them into Rest loops in which they are highly susceptible to Special Defense drops and critical hits, and also punishes Sleep Talk users by putting them at great risk if they call Rest while being inflicted with Nightmare. The overall effect of this Nightmare is to force switches, which Jynx is very effective at punishing if the opponent does not have numerous Pokemon capable of taking its powerful special attacks.

Team Options
=============
Jynx appreciates teammates that can keep up offensive momentum. While losing momentum occasionally is acceptable, Jynx teams commonly struggle when the opponent is aggressively playing around them rather than taking them on passively. This means using Pokemon that are either very difficult to respond to passively, like Cloyster, Whirlwind Zapdos(AC), and Gengar, or, where it is necessary to take something on passively, doing so in such a way that forces if a threat requires a passive response, using Pokemon like Curse Snorlax that force similarly (you should make sure this is still good content-wise) passive responses from the opponent rather than allowing them to gain momentum such as Curse RestTalk Snorlax. She Jynx also helps offensive teams overwhelm the opponent's defensive measures by softening up or gaining advantages against some defensive Pokmeon through Lovely Kiss or Thief(RP).(AC), and Spikes support from Cloyster or Forretress both complements this and (preventing the "overwhelm measures" sentence from being isolated from team options) helps Jynx dish out damage more effectively. Pokemon that can deal with varieties of RestTalk Snorlax in particular compliment Jynx well, as she complement Jynx particularly well, as it typically draws them in. Gengar(RC), who is immune to the Curse set and only fears the Earthquake set or a burn from Flamethrower(RCS); it also switches into Forretress without Hidden Power Ghost to stop it from getting a Rapid Spin off against Jynx. While Golem still takes super effective damage from Earthquake and the rare Surf from Sleep Talk Snorlax, it can get a Rapid Spin off against it and shuffle the opponent's team with Roar. Pokemon that check Jynx, such as Snorlax, Tyranitar(AC), and Umbreon, are commonly threatened by Machamp, making it a great partner. A sleeping Snorlax tends to make for a makes an especially great entry point to for Machamp, which is typically not a Pokemon you want to give opportunities to. The two Jynx and Machamp together can also apply pressure on poisoned Starmie by making it switch in and take residual damage. (removed extra period) Sweepers that appreciate Raikou being worn down, such as Vaporeon, make use of Jynx being able to steal appreciate Jynx stealing its Leftovers from it or weaken or weakening it gradually. Jynx still appreciates (preventing whiplash) Pokemon that can reliably stomach Thunders from Raikou, though(AC), such as Steelix and Sleep Talk Snorlax(RC), are appreciated as support for Jynx. Jynx can also be used as a Special Attack recipient from a a special recipient of Growth using Baton Pass user from Baton Pass users such as Vaporeon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Mean Look sets that must drop Lovely Kiss(RC), due to the Sleep + Mean Look ban, but can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's STAB attacks. Perish Song + Mean Look (would you run Perish Song without Mean Look? I do not know. you do say "this strategy" later so including it is my first guess) can take huge advantage of more passive responses to Jynx such as Suicune and already(AH)-sleeping Sleep Talk Snorlax. However, these sets are somewhat inconsistent due to Jynx being unable to stomach much damage, so there are more ways around it than simply phazing. It foes can threaten it with heavy damage even if they cannot phaze to cancel Mean Look. This set (clarity. make sure this is still good content-wise, especially if you don't add "+ Mean Look) is also harder to bring in than other users of this strategy(AC), such as Gengar, due to its lack of notable resistances or immunities. Counter can be used on some sets to target physically offensive checks to Jynx such as Snorlax. Hidden Power Fire aims to hit hits Forretress, but can be hard to justify over one of the utility moves.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Special Walls** Blissey, Raikou, Suicune(AC), and Snorlax can all switch into Jynx and threaten it out with status or damage. However, they must be weary (spelling) of Thief or Lovely Kiss(RC), along with the threat of the secondary effects from Jynx's STAB attacks.

**Dark(AH)-types** Umbreon, Houndoom(AC), and Tyranitar can all reliably Pursuit trap Jynx, although they can't do this while asleep. Houndoom and Tyranitar threaten it with an OHKO if it does not switch, although Houndoom will fail to OHKO the majority of the time and Speed ties Jynx. Tyranitar still takes a sizeable chunk from Ice Beam too. Umbreon's Pursuit does not break Jynx's Substitute, so Jynx can still try to put it to sleep or freeze it.

**Starmie and Forretress** Starmie and Forretress can both switch into Jynx thanks to their resistances to Jynx's STAB attacks, provided Sleep Clause is active, and threaten her it out or get a Rapid Spin off. Forretress especially must be careful of Thief Jynx. Some of Forretress's ability to take Jynx on is dependent on its moveset too.(AC), though, is especially vulnerable to Thief, and some of its movesets check Jynx better than others. (preventing whiplash + resolving ambiguity. make sure it's still good content-wise)

**Sleep Talk Users (capitalization)** Pokemon such as Snorlax, Raikou(AC), and Moltres can come in on Jynx and absorb the Lovely Kiss for their teammates to activate Sleep Clause (clarity) while threatening Jynx back immediately. Jynx can still gain advantages against them through Thief, gradual damage(AC), or secondary effects with STAB attacks.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[BKC, 52012], [Earthworm, 15210]], (added missing bracket)
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Jynx can also be used as a Special Attack recipient from a a special recipient of Growth using Baton Pass user from Baton Pass users such as Vaporeon.
Thank you very much for the check. I was unsure about making this change because Special is only a stat in RBY, whereas Special Attack is the stat boost which Jynx gets passed by Vaporeon most commonly (though I changed it a bit). It can be passed Defence from Acid Armor, though this is very rare if seen at all, so maybe it's best to (or not to?) specify there.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thank you very much for the check. I was unsure about making this change because Special is only a stat in RBY, whereas Special Attack is the stat boost which Jynx gets passed by Vaporeon most commonly (though I changed it a bit). It can be passed Defence from Acid Armor, though this is very rare if seen at all, so maybe it's best to (or not to?) specify there.
If this helps, RBY's Special stat is always capitalized in analyses as with other stats. Using "special" just means "specially-oriented for attacking or defense", but if Defense boosts would be significantly more likely than Special Defense boosts... how about this? (Quote is what you currently have on the analysis.)

AP=Add Period
Jynx still appreciates Pokemon that can reliably stomach Thunders from Raikou, though, such as Steelix and Sleep Talk Snorlax(AP). Jynx can also be used as a Special Attack recipient from recipient of Special Attack boosts from Baton Pass users such as Vaporeon.

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
If this helps, RBY's Special stat is always capitalized in analyses as with other stats. Using "special" just means "specially-oriented for attacking or defense", but if Defense boosts would be significantly more likely than Special Defense boosts... how about this? (Quote is what you currently have on the analysis.)

AP=Add Period
Done, thanks.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Jynx is a high-risk, high-reward type of Pokemon. Its Special Attack, Speed, access to Lovely Kiss, and combination of STAB attacks that is scarcely resisted in GSC OU make Jynx it a great sweeper and status inducer. It 2HKOes a huge number of the viable offensive Pokemon in the metagame, which can force somewhat of a passive response, allowing the Jynx user to gain momentum. Jynx is the only sleep inducer that straight up 2HKOes the most common sleep and general status absorber, Zapdos, and can even take it on one-on-one without relying on Sleep Talk rolls going in its favor. Without one among specific viable Sleep Talk users, like Snorlax or Vaporeon, Jynx will often require the opponent to effectively sacrifice one Pokemon to sleep and then have an additional healthy Pokemon capable of taking it on. However, Jynx's biggest liabilities are its frailty, due to its poor defensive typing and stats, and its almost total uselessness when inflicted by status. These traits make it can be difficult to bring in at times. Nevertheless, Jynx has changed the way that offensive teams are structured in GSC OU and has gone from a niche pick to a metagame standard.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========

The coverage of Ice Beam and Psychic is resisted only by Starmie and Forretress in OU, neither of which commonly run Sleep Talk. Even many special walls such as Blissey and Raikou don't appreciate being put to sleep, although the latter can mitigate this by using Sleep Talk. Substitute allows Jynx to mitigate its frailty and weakness to status,(AC) as well as giving it extra turns and safety. These turns better its odds to put something to sleep and let it fish for freezes or Special Defense drops with its STAB attacks, which can allow Jynx to break through its supposed checks. Thief is commonly used over Substitute to steal Leftovers from common switch-ins such as Snorlax, Suicune, Raikou, and Blissey that attempt to wall it. This allows Jynx and its teammates to break through these Pokemon more easily and subsequently inflict sleep on a Pokemon the opponent would rather have kept free of status. Thief Jynx is often used as a lead to steal Leftovers early on, supposing the lead matchup is advantageous. Jynx threatens a lot of common leads such as non-Sleep Talk users, Exeggutor, and Nidoking. Nightmare is sometimes seen over Substitute or Thief to beat down sleeping Pokemon that Jynx cannot 3HKO like Suicune and Snorlax. It can force them into Rest loops,(AC) in which they are highly susceptible to Special Defense drops and critical hits, and also punishes Sleep Talk users by putting them at great risk if they call Rest while inflicted with Nightmare. The overall effect purpose of Nightmare is to force switches, which Jynx is very effective at punishing if the opponent does not have numerous Pokemon capable of taking its powerful special attacks.

Team Options
=============

Jynx appreciates teammates that can keep up offensive momentum. While losing momentum occasionally is acceptable, Jynx teams commonly struggle when the opponent is aggressively playing around them rather than taking them on passively. This means using Pokemon that are either very difficult to respond to passively, like Cloyster, Whirlwind Zapdos, and Gengar, or, if a threat requires a passive response, using Pokemon like Curse Snorlax that force similarly forces passive responses from the opponent rather than allowing them to gain momentum. Jynx also helps offensive teams overwhelm the opponent's defensive measures by softening up or gaining advantages against defensive Pokmeon Pokemon through Lovely Kiss or Thief, and Spikes support from Cloyster or Forretress helps Jynx dish out damage more effectively. Pokemon that can deal with varieties of RestTalk Snorlax complement Jynx particularly well, as it typically draws them in. Gengar is immune to the Curse set and only fears the Earthquake set or a burn from Flamethrower; it also switches into Forretress without Hidden Power Ghost to stop it from getting a Rapid Spin off against Jynx. While Golem still takes super effective damage from Earthquake and the rare Surf from Sleep Talk Snorlax, it can get a Rapid Spin off against it and shuffle the opponent's team with Roar. Pokemon that check Jynx, such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, and Umbreon, are commonly threatened by Machamp, making it a great partner. A sleeping Snorlax makes an especially great entry point for Machamp, which is typically not a Pokemon you want to give opportunities to. Jynx and Machamp together can also apply pressure on poisoned Starmie by making it switch in and take residual damage. Sweepers that appreciate Raikou being worn down, such as Vaporeon, appreciate Jynx stealing its Leftovers or gradually weakening it gradually. Jynx still appreciates Pokemon that can reliably stomach Thunders from Raikou, though, such as Steelix and Sleep Talk Snorlax. Jynx can also be used as a recipient of Special Attack boosts from Baton Pass users such as Vaporeon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Mean Look sets must drop Lovely Kiss due to the Sleep sleep move + Mean Look ban, but they can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's STAB attacks. Perish Song + Mean Look can take huge advantage of more passive responses to Jynx such as Suicune and already sleeping Sleep Talk Snorlax. However, these sets are somewhat inconsistent due to Jynx being unable to stomach much damage, and foes can threaten it with heavy damage even if they cannot phaze to cancel Mean Look. This set is also harder to bring in than other users of this strategy, such as Gengar, due to its lack of notable resistances or immunities. Counter can be used on some sets to target physically offensive checks to Jynx such as Snorlax. Hidden Power Fire hits Forretress (RC) but can be hard to justify over one of the utility moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**:(add colon) Blissey, Raikou, Suicune, and Snorlax can all switch into Jynx and threaten it out with status or damage. However, they must be wary of Thief or Lovely Kiss along with the threat of the secondary effects from Jynx's STAB attacks.

**Dark-types**:(add colon) Umbreon, Houndoom, and Tyranitar can all reliably Pursuit trap Jynx, although they can't do this while asleep. Houndoom and Tyranitar threaten it with an OHKO if it does not switch, although Houndoom will fail to OHKO the majority of the time and Speed ties Jynx. Tyranitar takes a sizeable chunk from Ice Beam too. Umbreon's Pursuit does not break Jynx's Substitute, so Jynx can still try to put it to sleep or freeze it.

**Starmie and Forretress**:(add colon) Starmie and Forretress can both switch into Jynx thanks to their resistances to Jynx's its STAB attacks, provided Sleep Clause is active, and threaten it out or get a Rapid Spin off. Forretress, though, is especially vulnerable to Thief, and some of its movesets check Jynx better than others.

**Sleep Talk Users**:(add colon) Pokemon such as Snorlax, Raikou, and Moltres can come in on Jynx and absorb the Lovely Kiss to activate Sleep Clause while threatening Jynx back immediately. Jynx can still gain advantages against them through Thief, gradual damage, or secondary effects with STAB attacks.

[CREDITS]

gp 1/2 when done

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Jynx is a high-risk, high-reward type of Pokemon. Its Special Attack, Speed, access to Lovely Kiss, and combination of STAB attacks that is scarcely resisted in GSC OU make Jynx it a great sweeper and status inducer. It 2HKOes a huge number of the viable offensive Pokemon in the metagame, which can force somewhat of a passive response, allowing the Jynx user to gain momentum. Jynx is the only sleep inducer that straight up 2HKOes the most common sleep and general status absorber, Zapdos, and can even take it on one-on-one without relying on Sleep Talk rolls going in its favor. Without one among specific viable Sleep Talk users, like Snorlax or Vaporeon, Jynx will often require the opponent to effectively sacrifice one Pokemon to sleep and then have an additional healthy Pokemon capable of taking it on. However, Jynx's biggest liabilities are its frailty, due to its poor defensive typing and stats, and its almost total uselessness when inflicted by status. These traits make it can be difficult to bring in at times. Nevertheless, Jynx has changed the way that offensive teams are structured in GSC OU and has gone from a niche pick to a metagame standard.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========

The coverage of Ice Beam and Psychic is resisted only by Starmie and Forretress in OU, neither of which commonly run Sleep Talk. Even many special walls such as Blissey and Raikou don't appreciate being put to sleep, although the latter can mitigate this by using Sleep Talk. Substitute allows Jynx to mitigate its frailty and weakness to status,(AC) as well as giving it extra turns and safety. These turns better its odds to put something to sleep and let it fish for freezes or Special Defense drops with its STAB attacks, which can allow Jynx to break through its supposed checks. Thief is commonly used over Substitute to steal Leftovers from common switch-ins such as Snorlax, Suicune, Raikou, and Blissey that attempt to wall it. This allows Jynx and its teammates to break through these Pokemon more easily and subsequently inflict sleep on a Pokemon the opponent would rather have kept free of status. Thief Jynx is often used as a lead to steal Leftovers early on, supposing the lead matchup is advantageous. Jynx threatens a lot of common leads such as non-Sleep Talk users, Exeggutor, and Nidoking. Nightmare is sometimes seen over Substitute or Thief to beat down sleeping Pokemon that Jynx cannot 3HKO like Suicune and Snorlax. It can force them into Rest loops,(AC) in which they are highly susceptible to Special Defense drops and critical hits, and also punishes Sleep Talk users by putting them at great risk if they call Rest while inflicted with Nightmare. The overall effect purpose of Nightmare is to force switches, which Jynx is very effective at punishing if the opponent does not have numerous Pokemon capable of taking its powerful special attacks.

Team Options
=============

Jynx appreciates teammates that can keep up offensive momentum. While losing momentum occasionally is acceptable, Jynx teams commonly struggle when the opponent is aggressively playing around them rather than taking them on passively. This means using Pokemon that are either very difficult to respond to passively, like Cloyster, Whirlwind Zapdos, and Gengar, or, if a threat requires a passive response, using Pokemon like Curse Snorlax that force similarly forces passive responses from the opponent rather than allowing them to gain momentum. Jynx also helps offensive teams overwhelm the opponent's defensive measures by softening up or gaining advantages against defensive Pokmeon Pokemon through Lovely Kiss or Thief, and Spikes support from Cloyster or Forretress helps Jynx dish out damage more effectively. Pokemon that can deal with varieties of RestTalk Snorlax complement Jynx particularly well, as it typically draws them in. Gengar is immune to the Curse set and only fears the Earthquake set or a burn from Flamethrower; it also switches into Forretress without Hidden Power Ghost to stop it from getting a Rapid Spin off against Jynx. While Golem still takes super effective damage from Earthquake and the rare Surf from Sleep Talk Snorlax, it can get a Rapid Spin off against it and shuffle the opponent's team with Roar. Pokemon that check Jynx, such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, and Umbreon, are commonly threatened by Machamp, making it a great partner. A sleeping Snorlax makes an especially great entry point for Machamp, which is typically not a Pokemon you want to give opportunities to. Jynx and Machamp together can also apply pressure on poisoned Starmie by making it switch in and take residual damage. Sweepers that appreciate Raikou being worn down, such as Vaporeon, appreciate Jynx stealing its Leftovers or gradually weakening it gradually. Jynx still appreciates Pokemon that can reliably stomach Thunders from Raikou, though, such as Steelix and Sleep Talk Snorlax. Jynx can also be used as a recipient of Special Attack boosts from Baton Pass users such as Vaporeon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============

Mean Look sets must drop Lovely Kiss due to the Sleep sleep move + Mean Look ban, but they can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's STAB attacks. Perish Song + Mean Look can take huge advantage of more passive responses to Jynx such as Suicune and already sleeping Sleep Talk Snorlax. However, these sets are somewhat inconsistent due to Jynx being unable to stomach much damage, and foes can threaten it with heavy damage even if they cannot phaze to cancel Mean Look. This set is also harder to bring in than other users of this strategy, such as Gengar, due to its lack of notable resistances or immunities. Counter can be used on some sets to target physically offensive checks to Jynx such as Snorlax. Hidden Power Fire hits Forretress (RC) but can be hard to justify over one of the utility moves.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Walls**:(add colon) Blissey, Raikou, Suicune, and Snorlax can all switch into Jynx and threaten it out with status or damage. However, they must be wary of Thief or Lovely Kiss along with the threat of the secondary effects from Jynx's STAB attacks.

**Dark-types**:(add colon) Umbreon, Houndoom, and Tyranitar can all reliably Pursuit trap Jynx, although they can't do this while asleep. Houndoom and Tyranitar threaten it with an OHKO if it does not switch, although Houndoom will fail to OHKO the majority of the time and Speed ties Jynx. Tyranitar takes a sizeable chunk from Ice Beam too. Umbreon's Pursuit does not break Jynx's Substitute, so Jynx can still try to put it to sleep or freeze it.

**Starmie and Forretress**:(add colon) Starmie and Forretress can both switch into Jynx thanks to their resistances to Jynx's its STAB attacks, provided Sleep Clause is active, and threaten it out or get a Rapid Spin off. Forretress, though, is especially vulnerable to Thief, and some of its movesets check Jynx better than others.

**Sleep Talk Users**:(add colon) Pokemon such as Snorlax, Raikou, and Moltres can come in on Jynx and absorb the Lovely Kiss to activate Sleep Clause while threatening Jynx back immediately. Jynx can still gain advantages against them through Thief, gradual damage, or secondary effects with STAB attacks.

[CREDITS]

gp 1/2 when done
Done, thanks

Adeleine

Add/Fix Remove Comment
(RC): Remove Comma
[OVERVIEW]

Jynx is a high-risk, high-reward type of Pokemon. Its Special Attack, Speed, access to Lovely Kiss, and combination of STAB attacks that is scarcely resisted in GSC OU make it a great sweeper and status inducer. It 2HKOes a huge number of the viable offensive Pokemon in the metagame, which can force somewhat of a passive response, allowing the Jynx user to gain momentum. Jynx is the only sleep inducer that straight up 2HKOes the most common sleep and general status absorber, Zapdos, and can even take it on one-on-one without relying on Sleep Talk rolls going in its favor. Without one among specific viable Sleep Talk users, like Snorlax or Vaporeon, Jynx will often require the opponent to opponents often must effectively sacrifice one Pokemon to sleep and then have an additional healthy Pokemon capable of taking it Jynx on. However, Jynx's biggest liabilities are its frailty, due to its poor defensive typing and stats, and its almost total uselessness when inflicted by status. These traits make it difficult to bring in at times. Nevertheless, Jynx has changed the way that offensive teams are structured in GSC OU and has gone from a niche pick to a metagame standard.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
========
The coverage of Ice Beam and Psychic is resisted only by Starmie and Forretress in OU, neither of which commonly run Sleep Talk. Even many special walls such as Blissey and Raikou don't appreciate being put to sleep, although the latter can mitigate this by using Sleep Talk. Substitute allows Jynx to mitigate its frailty and weakness to status, as well as giving it extra turns and safety. These turns better its odds to put something to sleep and let it fish for freezes or Special Defense drops with its STAB attacks, which can allow Jynx to break through its supposed checks. Thief is commonly used over Substitute to steal Leftovers from common switch-ins such as Snorlax, Suicune, Raikou, and Blissey that attempt to wall it. This allows Jynx and its teammates to break through these Pokemon more easily and subsequently inflict sleep on a Pokemon the opponent would rather have kept free of status. Thief Jynx is often used as a lead to steal Leftovers early on, supposing the lead matchup is advantageous. Jynx threatens a lot of common leads such as non-Sleep Talk users, Exeggutor, and Nidoking. Nightmare is sometimes seen over Substitute or Thief to beat down sleeping Pokemon that Jynx cannot 3HKO like Suicune and Snorlax. It can force them into Rest loops, in which they are highly susceptible to Special Defense drops and critical hits, and also punishes Sleep Talk users by putting them at great risk if they call Rest while inflicted with Nightmare. The overall purpose of Nightmare is to force switches, which Jynx is very effective at punishing if the opponent does not have numerous Pokemon capable of taking its powerful special attacks.

Team Options
=============
Jynx appreciates teammates that can keep up offensive momentum. While losing momentum occasionally is acceptable, Jynx teams commonly struggle when the opponent is aggressively playing around them rather than taking them on passively. This means using Pokemon that are very difficult to respond to passively (RC) like Cloyster, Whirlwind Zapdos, and Gengar (RC) or, if a threat requires a passive response, using Pokemon like Curse Snorlax that force similarly (optional - clarity/quick flow) passive responses from the opponent rather than allowing them to gain momentum. Jynx also helps offensive teams overwhelm the opponent's defensive measures by softening up or gaining advantages against defensive Pokemon through Lovely Kiss or Thief, and Spikes support from Cloyster or Forretress helps Jynx dish out damage more effectively. Pokemon that can deal with varieties of RestTalk Snorlax complement Jynx particularly well, as it typically draws them in. Gengar is immune to the Curse set and only fears the Earthquake set or a burn from Flamethrower; it also switches into Forretress without Hidden Power Ghost to stop it from getting a Rapid Spin off against Jynx. While Golem still takes super effective damage from Earthquake and the rare Surf from Sleep Talk Snorlax, it can get a Rapid Spin off against it and shuffle the opponent's team with Roar. Pokemon that check Jynx, such as Snorlax, Tyranitar, and Umbreon, are commonly threatened by Machamp, making it a great partner. A sleeping Snorlax makes an especially great entry point for Machamp, which is typically not a Pokemon you want to give opportunities to. Jynx and Machamp together can also apply pressure on poisoned Starmie by making it switch in and take residual damage. Sweepers that appreciate Raikou being worn down, such as Vaporeon, appreciate Jynx stealing its Leftovers or gradually weakening it. Jynx still appreciates Pokemon that can reliably stomach Thunders from Raikou, though, such as Steelix and Sleep Talk Snorlax. Jynx can also be used as a recipient of Special Attack boosts from Baton Pass users such as Vaporeon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
============
Mean Look sets must drop Lovely Kiss due to the sleep move + Mean Look ban, but they can be quite threatening, as most phazers don't like switching into Jynx's STAB attacks. Perish Song + Mean Look can take huge advantage of more passive responses to Jynx such as Suicune and already sleeping Sleep Talk Snorlax. However, these sets are somewhat inconsistent due to Jynx being unable to stomach much damage, and foes can threaten it with heavy damage even if they cannot phaze to cancel Mean Look. This set is also harder to bring in than other users of this strategy, such as Gengar, due to its lack of notable resistances or immunities. Counter can be used on some sets to target physically offensive checks to Jynx such as Snorlax. Hidden Power Fire hits Forretress but can be hard to justify over one of the utility moves.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Special Walls**: Blissey, Raikou, Suicune, and Snorlax can all switch into Jynx and threaten it out with status or damage. However, they must be wary of Thief or Lovely Kiss along with the threat of the secondary effects from Jynx's STAB attacks.

**Dark-types**: Umbreon, Houndoom, and Tyranitar can all reliably Pursuit trap Jynx, although they can't do this while asleep. Houndoom and Tyranitar threaten it with an OHKO if it does not switch, although Houndoom will fail to OHKO the majority of the time and Speed ties Jynx. Tyranitar takes a sizeable chunk from Ice Beam too. Umbreon's Pursuit does not break Jynx's Substitute, so Jynx can still try to put it to sleep or freeze it.

**Starmie and Forretress**: Starmie and Forretress can both switch into Jynx thanks to their resistances to its STAB attacks, provided Sleep Clause is active, and threaten it out or get a Rapid Spin off. Forretress, though, is especially vulnerable to Thief, and some of its movesets check Jynx better than others.

**Sleep Talk Users**: Pokemon such as Snorlax, Raikou, and Moltres can come in on Jynx and absorb the Lovely Kiss to activate Sleep Clause while threatening Jynx back immediately. Jynx can still gain advantages against them through Thief, gradual damage, or and secondary effects with STAB attacks.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073], [Finland, 517429]]
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)