July 7* Tera Raid Event Part 2: Rillaboom (Normal Tera)

I'm expecting the moveset to be something like:

- Drum Beating
- Body Slam / Boomburst
- Acrobatics
- Hammer Arm / Brick Break / Stomping Tantrum

Scripted moves: Boomburst, Bulk Up / Swords Dance.

Acrobatics will be quite likely since it counters Fighting types which people will most likely bring. Even then, Annihilape will have a pretty decent chance at being a major player thanks to its typing and the effectiveness of Drain Punch working in its favour. Drum Beating also works nicely into Defiant.

Hey maybe this is finally a raid Koraidon can try to be useful in
-Fighting type!
-Signature move that hits harder on SE damage
-It's fast and has Drain Punch
-Dragon type resists Grass
-Acrobatics exists, but Koraidon is bulky and has ways to increase that bulk further and Drain Punch means it can probably win the damage race

Even though most people thought "it gets boomburst so surely it'll use it"... actually I don't think we'll see it outside of maybe a turn 0 thing (prolly not even that).

It's coming off... 60 spatk. Even with Tera to boost it, it tickles.

0 SpA Tera Normal Rillaboom Boomburst vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 85-102 (22.3 - 26.7%) -- 22.5% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Tera Normal Rillaboom Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 94-112 (24.6 - 29.3%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Tera Normal Rillaboom Drum Beating vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 90-106 (23.6 - 27.8%) -- 83.4% chance to 4HKO

So that said, I'm betting on lord and savior Annihilape for this.
Bonus point, Defiant will just stack up free +2 atk if Drum Beating is in the moveset, and unstabbed Acrobatics should be realistically easy to tank for a Bulk Up set.

May actually also want to go back to Clear Smoggers probably to deal with Sword Dance / Bulk Up, or otherwise lord and savior Qwilfish Overwqil.
Three words: Body Press Corviknight.
This also probably just hard walls it UNLESS it has Bulk Up. Bulk Up has the problem where +6 def vs +6 def does not really do that much, and rilla can and will wipe off your +6 at some point.
However... I'd probably expect something more on the line of what they did with Chesnaugh in that case (scripted cast of the buffs). I'm quite sure they noticed Cinderace was *FAR* too much bullshit once it started spamming buffs and rolled over everyone.

Finally, Rillaboom in cool Pokeballs!

Im a bit skeptical as to Rillaboom’s damage output vs an Iron Hamds, even with a potential super effective Stomping Tantrum, so that might be a solid play this time around. Obviously as mentioned BP corv has a field day here. Having to run Grass and Normal type coverage really squeezes this ape from running a wide spectrum of coverage, so I have a feeling this one won’t be too bad at all.

Torkoal @ Shell Bell
Level: 100
Bold Nature
Tera Type: Fighting
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
  • Iron Defense
  • Body Press
  • Clear Smog
  • Lava Plume

I think that could be a pretty great mon against Rillaboom.

Torkoal @ Shell Bell
Level: 100
Bold Nature
Tera Type: Fighting
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
  • Iron Defense
  • Body Press
  • Clear Smog
  • Lava Plume

I think that could be a pretty great mon against Rillaboom.
First, I like the idea, but ironically I think IDBP may be a wrong idea
0 SpA Rillaboom Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Torkoal: 89-105 (25.8 - 30.5%) -- 1.5% chance to 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 Atk Rillaboom Stomping Tantrum vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 76-90 (22 - 26.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

If Rillaboom has Boomburst *as regular move*, and doesn't have setup moves (unlikely, but let's assume) there's a solid chance it'd just spam that basically neutering the point of IDBP over just spamming fire stab (with chance to burn too).

In that case i would rather opt for a supportive moveset, maybe tossing Amnesia / Iron Defense / Clear Smog / fire stab, or forgoing defensive skills altoghether and just go Flame Charge / actual fire stab / Clear Smog / Sunny Day

Obviously, if Boomburst is not in the standard moveset / the boss does feature actual attack buffs, disregard all i said, IDBP better

i was certain Rilla would be Ground tera, Normal seems strange when you take its stats into consideration, like yeah spread Boomburst but 60 spa?

Anyway Annihilape, Corvi, and potentially Iron Hands are going to dominate.

I do wonder what their plan is for 7* events after this one, because they've gone through all of the starters, no? Maybe that's when Mewtwo will be used? (in conjunction with our August presents teehee)

I figured Rillaboom would be Normal so it could spam Body Slams, and it wouldn't be Ground because Grassy Terrain halves the damage of the 2 big ones (Bulldoze & Earthquake).

Side note: the moment Grassy Terrain goes down, I expect an instant Earthquake that hits everyone. Keep you on your toes

Side note: the moment Grassy Terrain goes down, I expect an instant Earthquake that hits everyone. Keep you on your toes
I'm not 100% sure this will actually be a thing.
From what I saw, "timed abilities" usually are either time or % hp based.
So far there's never been a "once this condition happens do that", which is clearly visible in some raids where they will recast field conditions despite being already active since the condition set was HP based and it got pushed too fast.

It's just way more likely it has Stomping Tantrum as ground coverage (if even).
If they just don't give it ground coverage, then it opens up a ton of other options.

I do wonder what their plan is for 7* events after this one, because they've gone through all of the starters, no? Maybe that's when Mewtwo will be used? (in conjunction with our August presents teehee)
Khu seemed to imply that the 7 star raids are setting up some stuff for the DLCs.
It's possible the next 7 star raids may be legendaries or paradoxes.

I doubt it'll entirely be Legendary. The fact Mewtwo seems set up to be "special" makes me think we wont get similar treatments (at least, not in the same way as the other Mighty Marks) of al the other legends

I still think we'll see some Hisui forms or evolutions next, or something of the sort. That both gives away new things to catch and hypothetically ties into the DLC since it'll likely offer some way to access them + we know there's at least aesthetically Hisuian Growlithe statues in Kitakami

I still think we'll see some Hisui forms or evolutions next, or something of the sort. That both gives away new things to catch and hypothetically ties into the DLC since it'll likely offer some way to access them + we know there's at least aesthetically Hisuian Growlithe statues in Kitakami
Ah good catch, idk how I forgot about it ><

Hisuian / Alolan forms honestly seems like a good candidate. But I still think they may have legendary-based 7 star raids for the currently available transfer-only legendaries, to help people fill up their VGC bank without needing the other games nor having to wait until DLC2.

Does Rillaboom have anyway to deal with Talonflame? Seems like another Solid Support option, with WoW, Tailwind, two forms of Weather (Sun helpful to keep up on some Paradoxes like inevitable Koraidon, or maybe exploring Slither Wing), Flame Body when a lot of Rillaboom's move options make contact (1/4 Damage from Drum Beating) means potential burns through the shield, Tailwind Support for Drum Beating drops, and Bulk Up to do its own set-up or Special options if teams either favor Acid-Spray spam or Rillaboom itself uses BU.

In more gimmicky shenanigans, I wonder if Oricorio could work. Sensu and Baile have good resist profiles for STABs plus obvious Ground coverage, Feather Dance for Physical debuffing, and Helping Hand to Support or Quiver Dance to set-up themselves (albeit neutral unless they Tera Fighting for Revelation Dance). Pity Dancer doesn't work or we could probably get some Perrserker style shenanigans going with QD spam.

I doubt it'll entirely be Legendary. The fact Mewtwo seems set up to be "special" makes me think we wont get similar treatments (at least, not in the same way as the other Mighty Marks) of al the other legends

I wonder if Mewtwo might not even be catchable. My reasoning partially, ties into datamined/leak speculation so I won't elaborate on that part, but also includes the fact that they did a similar "uncatchable Loot Raid" event in SwSh with Mewtwo as well.

Hisuian / Alolan forms honestly seems like a good candidate. But I still think they may have legendary-based 7 star raids for the currently available transfer-only legendaries, to help people fill up their VGC bank without needing the other games nor having to wait until DLC2.
I feel like if they were to do catchable Legendary 7*'s we would see Version-Counterparts as options so that they can get more out without being hung up on as many over time like they were with the ~10 starters they've been drip feeding (Zard, Hisui, Kalos, and Galar). The Raid system means they could get twice as many in at a time since cross play lets either version catch both, so things like Zacian + Zamazenta, or Groudon + Kyogre. I do think Legendaries make good "Super Boss" type content to involve people with so I could see them popping up in advance of any potential Restricted usage (to make sure Gen 9-exclusive-players have an injection into the "economy" of them before the year of such a format).

Does Rillaboom have anyway to deal with Talonflame? Seems like another Solid Support option, with WoW, Tailwind, two forms of Weather (Sun helpful to keep up on some Paradoxes like inevitable Koraidon, or maybe exploring Slither Wing), Flame Body when a lot of Rillaboom's move options make contact (1/4 Damage from Drum Beating) means potential burns through the shield, Tailwind Support for Drum Beating drops, and Bulk Up to do its own set-up or Special options if teams either favor Acid-Spray spam or Rillaboom itself uses BU.
Tecnically yes, but at this point you may as well use Moltres instead which is significantly bulkier and with higher damage, while having mostly the same moveset.

I wouldn't actually want to rely on Flame Body either, since you'll be tanking a ton of Body Slam (assuming it's there).

Honestly, Slither Wing sounds like a much more enticing option with its very solid phisical bulk, though there's a moderately high chance of Acrobatics being in the moveset.

If the plan was to help fill up the VGC bank they would have needed to start doing them months ago; Worlds is next month. By the time next format hits we'll be in the midst of DLC-ville.

Speaking of

I wonder if Mewtwo might not even be catchable. My reasoning partially, ties into datamined/leak speculation so I won't elaborate on that part, but also includes the fact that they did a similar "uncatchable Loot Raid" event in SwSh with Mewtwo as well.
Yeah I don't think it will be catchable. It's what I mean by "special", it will likely be a hyper tuned boss (to encourage....well, you know.) and something that gives out a lot of rewards.

If the plan was to help fill up the VGC bank they would have needed to start doing them months ago; Worlds is next month. By the time next format hits we'll be in the midst of DLC-ville.
Tbfh I am surprised they have actually allowed the various legendaries right away. Before reg D was announced, I was expecting reg D to just allow the hisuian forms and nothing else.

This is the first time in quite some time (i think basically since gen 5?) where you are required to own games from the previous generation in order to have access to the full list of non-breedable pokemon available, which kinda disappoints me.
I don't like entry barriers, even when they don't affect me.

Tecnically yes, but at this point you may as well use Moltres instead which is significantly bulkier and with higher damage, while having mostly the same moveset.

I wouldn't actually want to rely on Flame Body either, since you'll be tanking a ton of Body Slam (assuming it's there).

Honestly, Slither Wing sounds like a much more enticing option with its very solid phisical bulk, though there's a moderately high chance of Acrobatics being in the moveset.
Mind went to Talonflame before Moltres because the former exists naturally in Gen 9 and thus might be a bit faster to get built for a raid. That said Moltres is superior if they have access to it, taking maybe a 5HKO from an Unburned Body Slam max invested.

Slither Wing comes down to the Coverage. Wonder if Iron Press Zamazenta might do any good (Hero or Crowned depends on Acrobatics and Stomping Tantrum for the Steel type value)

Mind went to Talonflame before Moltres because the former exists naturally in Gen 9 and thus might be a bit faster to get built for a raid. That said Moltres is superior if they have access to it, taking maybe a 5HKO from an Unburned Body Slam max invested.

Slither Wing comes down to the Coverage. Wonder if Iron Press Zamazenta might do any good (Hero or Crowned depends on Acrobatics and Stomping Tantrum for the Steel type value)
Even if it has Acrobatics, imo Hero would almost always be better than Crowned. At +3 Defense or +1 w/ Reflect, Acrobatics bounces off, and you can run other items with Hero, such as an attack-boosting item or a good support item like Light Clay.

0+ Atk Rillaboom Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Zamazenta: 56-68 (14.4 - 17.5%) -- possible 9HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0+ Atk Rillaboom Wood Hammer vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Zamazenta in Grassy Terrain: 58-70 (14.9 - 18%) -- possible 8HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

BTW, I can totally see Rillaboom using Grassy Terrain as an extra move once Grassy Surge wears off.

In general i feel Crowned (both Zacian and Zamazenta) in 7 star raids are unlikely to be better than their base forms *unless* you can rely on outside support.
Since they don't have access to any innate recovery, you kinda *need* either Lefties or Shell Bell to not die.

(Similar problematic can be applied to other pokemon that have a form that requires to hold a item. Arceus is kind of a exception as it has access to Recover)

:SV/Koraidon:
Shell Bell
Adamant
Tera Fighting
252 Atk / 252 Def / 6 HP

Collision Course
Drain Punch
Swords Dance
Breaking Swipe

Basically, immediately go for 3 Breaking Swipes in a row. Assuming Rill's Adamant, this is Acrobatics without Atk drops.

0+ Atk Rillaboom Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Koraidon: 152-180 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Now here it is again, except with -1 Atk.

-1 0+ Atk Rillaboom Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Koraidon: 102-120 (29.8 - 35%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

And if you want the calcs without Grassy Terrain's healing

0+ Atk Rillaboom Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Koraidon: 152-180 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO
-1 0+ Atk Rillaboom Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 6 HP / 252 Def Koraidon: 102-120 (29.8 - 35%) -- 15.1% chance to 3HKO

And even after Terastallizing into a Fighting type, Drum Beating isn't too much of a threat considering regardless whether Grassy Terrain is up or not it takes no less than 4 hits to knock Koraidon out.

At 1st I was debating whether to go with Swords Dance and Breaking Swipe or Bulk Up and Taunt. Ultimately though, I decided to go with Swords Dance and Breaking Swipe since not only will it make getting to +6 Atk faster, Breaking Swipe's debuff will go through the shield unlike Taunt. Plus at the very least that means you won't need to waste Power Points on super effective moves before Terastallizing, and I really don't feel like using Power Point Maxes, and that's not even getting into the possibility of him having Taunt. Even if Rillaboom is at +6 Def from Bulk Up, a +6 Collision Course should still deal respectable damage.

Now the question is what will the Violet players do?

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think it will be catchable. It's what I mean by "special", it will likely be a hyper tuned boss (to encourage....well, you know.) and something that gives out a lot of rewards.
The SwSh legend raids weren't catchable because SwSh didn't have a way to limit raid catches per person, SV does.

So I sincerely doubt they'll do uncatchable raids again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)