ITT post video game characters who would probably make for sick fighting game characters

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Characters that are already in a fighting game are banned, but I’ll say that Byleth would’ve been really sick if she’d used the Sword of the Creator to grapple from a distance instead of what they went with.

Anyway, I’ve been playing Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition recently and I’ve completely fallen in love with Melia’s playstyle. The idea of using elemental summons that have passive effects and then discharging them to deal damage later on is really interesting to me and has some seriously disgusting damage potential, especially when using damage-over-time effects like poison and chill, and I feel like it’s a mechanic that could definitely transfer well onto a fighting game character with a high skill floor/ceiling. I’m a big fan of damage over time effects in general, with F.A.N.G. being far-and-away the most interesting Street Fighter V character to me mechanically, and I think the inherent risk/vulnerability attached to a character like Melia could make for something similarly interesting/snowbally but nonetheless balanced.

Last edited:

Albatross

Loosely Resembling Some Variety Of Bird
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributor
So there's this kinda niche game that's been getting some love recently, a pretty simple platformer that's very speedrunner friendly. Has 2D and 3D games, both are good, and it's an all around great series that deserves more attention. Don't know if you've heard of it, it's called Super Mario? Kind of a strange name, I know, but all the games are really good. It's kind of a shame it doesn't have much of a following though

The principle character is named Mario, and he can obtain these power ups that give him different abilities. Some of them are only temporary, while some last until you take damage. Like I said it's a simple platformer but the level design and flow of the game is really good.

1618618173195.png

Idk I think they could do something really unique with him

Anyways on a more serious note ,I don't play fighting games but I think Ori from Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps could be fun. In their original games they're really fun to move around and the combat in the second game is pretty good imo, so it would be cool to see how those elements translated into a fighting game

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
alternate title: characters you want to be in smash bros

reimu hakurei for smash please she could spam bullets like bayonetta and have a grazing mechanic against projectiles.

edit: i forgot to read the first sentence. add clownpiece or something she can launch moons at people

What if a rhythm game had a fighter that got bonus damage/knockback if they hit attacks to the beat of the song playing? This wouldn't be easy (especially with something like smash ultimate), but it would have potential to be one of the sickest characters ever.

Anyways on a more serious note ,I don't play fighting games but I think Ori from Ori and the Blind Forest/Will of the Wisps could be fun. In their original games they're really fun to move around and the combat in the second game is pretty good imo, so it would be cool to see how those elements translated into a fighting game
ever heard of a game called rivals of aether? you can even get a wotw moveset with abyss mode

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Does anybody here remember Ice Climber? That old NES game where you play as a pair of mountain climbers who scale a big ice mountain while grabbing fruit and shit? I played that a lot as a kid with my older brother, don't know how it would hold up these days since we lost our cartridge. Anyway, I recently had the thought that the two characters in that game would be interesting as a fighting game character. You could control both of them at the same time and do all kinds of tag-team combos and stuff. It's a shame that this'll probably never happen because they're Nintendo characters, and Nintendo characters don't usually end up in fighting games even when they're popular. I heard that the climbers are going to be a character in the upcoming Smash game for Nintendo's new GameCube console, but that's not really a fighting game. Still, I'm sure they'll be fun.

So there's this kinda niche game that's been getting some love recently, a pretty simple platformer that's very speedrunner friendly. Has 2D and 3D games, both are good, and it's an all around great series that deserves more attention. Don't know if you've heard of it, it's called Super Mario? Kind of a strange name, I know, but all the games are really good. It's kind of a shame it doesn't have much of a following though

The principle character is named Mario, and he can obtain these power ups that give him different abilities. Some of them are only temporary, while some last until you take damage. Like I said it's a simple platformer but the level design and flow of the game is really good.

Idk I think they could do something really unique with him

i mean idk if this is a hot take or not but wotw ori feels a lot like a floatier hollow knight... maybe it's just because i finished hollow knight and then immediately started playing ori wotw but they feel super similar. Maybe Ori could just be a floatier version of the knight from hk with slightly more range.

I thought of a really weird mechanical concept that would probably be best carried by Luxord from Kingdom Hearts.

In a lot of CCGs, there's a concept referred to as 'milling.' Since a player loses if they cannot draw from their deck, it can become a viable strategy to force the opponent to draw cards early. Effectively, you would forgo attacking your opponent's health and possibly even give an advantage in their position in order to attack their timer. Fighting games do also have timer endstates when played competitively, so I figure the concept of milling could be applicable there (though you would then need to store each player's timer seperately, which isn't common in fighting games). As for assigning the character, Luxord already fights with time powers and cards.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I thought of a really weird mechanical concept that would probably be best carried by Luxord from Kingdom Hearts.

In a lot of CCGs, there's a concept referred to as 'milling.' Since a player loses if they cannot draw from their deck, it can become a viable strategy to force the opponent to draw cards early. Effectively, you would forgo attacking your opponent's health and possibly even give an advantage in their position in order to attack their timer. Fighting games do also have timer endstates when played competitively, so I figure the concept of milling could be applicable there (though you would then need to store each player's timer seperately, which isn't common in fighting games). As for assigning the character, Luxord already fights with time powers and cards.
I don't like the idea of giving each character a separate timer unless it's a universal mechanic, though even then I feel like it'd be really difficult to balance a chess clock in a fighting game (giving a character very strong defensive tools and the ability to drain their opponent's timer would be difficult to balance; obviously a char like that'd probably have a shorter starting timer, but IDK at what point the difference would be an overwhelming advantage/disadvantage). Could be interesting though.

An interesting take on this idea could be to give a character moves that let them drain/restore the global timer by a certain amount when they hit, with the effect of one or both weakening with repeated use. If we assume a 99-second timer like in Street Fighter, the timer draining move could maybe decrease the time on the clock by 5 seconds (10 seconds is a very long time even with this timer) and the restoration move could start out restoring 8–16 seconds and decrease in effectiveness by 1/3 or 1/2 each time it's used, or maybe they could both decrease in effectieness at the same rate (though draining would need to be weaker from the outset for obvious reasons). Alternatively, the amount of time it restores/drains could depend on how long you charge the move for, making larger strategic drains possible but harder to obtain due to only working on hit (not block/evade), and/or maybe landing a counter hit with the move could increase the effect by a second or two or smth.

I wanted Leon Kennedy for Smash Ultimate so bad (and still want him, at least for six). He’s definitely my number one pick for a Smash character. If Jill got put in instead of him, I’d also be really happy. She also already has some inspiration to pull from due to MVC2. Speaking of MVC, Nemesis would be another great RE representative for Smash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)