It's just not working! [New UU RMT]

I've been trying to play in "New UU". My team just doesn't match up! Please help...

Dexterity @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Att, 252 Spe
-Taunt
-U-Turn
-Pursuit
-Brick Break

Ambipom can take many things down easily. With everything bulking up on the special side, physical moves can do crazy amounts of damage! The coverage here is awesome! However, some people have been trying to be smart by spamming recover, having it KO itself... This replaced Absol as the lead. Its moveset also changed to become a lead set. One amazing thing here is that Fake Out isn't on this moveset. Allowing me to Taunt things instead. This can cause my opponents more problems. The lack of STAB is a bit of a letdown though...

Inferno @ Salac Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EVs: 36 HP, 252 SpA, 222 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Substitute

Sub up, use Nasty Plot, increase Speed, sweep. That is the job of this Houndoom in full detail. Fact is, with so many things around that are weak to fire, carrying one has become pretty much necessary... I doubt that something that takes neutral damage can wall this without a SpD boost.

Cpt.Falcon @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 6 HP, 252 Att, 252 SpD
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Ice Punch
-Whirlwind

This is my Hariyama, it can come in, sub up, and KO. That's the jist of it... Ice Punch is for coverage. This tends to work on all but Spiritomb... Faster CMers also defeat this rather handily... That is why it now carries Whirlwind.

Executive @ Life Orb
Trait: Insomnia
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 252 Att, 252 SpA, 6 Spe
-Drill Peck
-Sucker Punch
-Heat Wave
-Taunt

This Honchkrow is meant to deal powerful hits, and be a back-up taunter... The spread was made by TVboyCanti, so I don't know how to use it effectively yet. I can tell from the spread though, that it's a powerful mixed attacker with Double STAB...

Crystal @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Hp, 6 Atk, 252 Def
-EarthQuake
-Gyro Ball
-Stealth Rock
-Curse

Steelix is meant to be a solid Physical Wall. Double STAB, can explode, Stealth Rock is available, what else is there? The only problem I've found is the contradictory typing. It's weak to common moves from both types of offense. Curse attempt to raise the 2 stats it actually needs, while powering up Gyro Ball. Explosion has been useless anyways.

Quick @ Lefotvers
Trait: Inner Focus
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 160 HP, 134 Att, 216 Spe
-Hypnosis
-Roost
-Whirlwind
-Aerial Ace

Crobat is a Pokemo that was meant to add a Fighting-type resist to the team. It does that, while helping my team out with a little support.

3 Flying weaknesses. Just pointing it out. Also, for the Absol lead, i'd like to change it to a standard SashSD looking like:

Absol @ Focus Sash
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Psycho Cut/night slash
-Superpower

I would change either your Hariyama or your Gallade to a Steelix, for better Physical walling capabilities.

Maybe:

Steelix @ Lefties
Ability: Sturdy/Rock Head (Doesn't matter)
Impish Nature
252 Hp/80 Atk/176 Def
-EQ
-Gyro Ball
-SR
-Explosion

Dual stab with a big bang.

And, i would change Blaziken to a Ninetales, because it is faster before the Agility and has access to one of the best stat-up moves in the game, Nasty Plot. Also, Flash Fire absorbs Fire attacks coming at Steelix

If you ran this the set would look like:
Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability:Flash Fire
Modest/Timid Nature
4 Hp/252 Spd/252 SAtk
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower. I prefer Fire Blast.
-Energy Ball-Kills some of the less bulky water types.
-HP of your choice. I would suggest Ice, but there aren't as many Dragons in the UU metagame. So, in this case, maybe Electric for Flying types, or you could run WoW (Will-o-Wisp) or Hypnosis for support options.

Ambi lead would be good. You could run a rather strange but possibly effective set with Fake out and Last Resort, or you could run:

Ambipom @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Ability:Technician
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Fake Out
-Uturn
-Brick Break
-Shadow Claw/Pursuit/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch

I ran this as a surprise for ghost switch-ins that come into the Fake Out. If a switch is imminent, i can Pursuit their lead, and if a Ghost comes in after that, its just about to be KOd by, yes, you guessed it, Pursuit.

If Ambipom doesn't look like its going to be achieving much, you can always Fake Out, then Uturn out for some scouting.

This is a nice utility lead for me, its done quite well imo.

Take or leave my changes. Hope i could help.

j0ht0, a lot changed from last week =D

I agree that Absol should be changed. It's simply not fast enough to Taunt effectively, and doesn't set up anything for your team or shut down your opponent. You have three fighting types, which as someone else noticed, gives you a big flying weakness, not to mention redundant coverage.

Furthermore, you have no "set-up" Pokemon, like those that use SD or CM to boost their stats. I always like to have at least one of these on an offensive team, since they help prevent you from getting walled and allow you to abuse your opponent's set-up fodder. I don't have suggestions as I haven't yet playtested all the new options, but just throwing some ideas out there for you.

3 Flying weaknesses. Just pointing it out. Also, for the Absol lead, i'd like to change it to a standard SashSD looking like:

Absol @ Focus Sash
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Psycho Cut/night slash
-Superpower

I would change either your Hariyama or your Gallade to a Steelix, for better Physical walling capabilities.

Maybe:

Steelix @ Lefties
Ability: Sturdy/Rock Head (Doesn't matter)
Impish Nature
252 Hp/80 Atk/176 Def
-EQ
-Gyro Ball
-SR
-Explosion

Dual stab with a big bang.

And, i would change Blaziken to a Ninetales, because it is faster before the Agility and has access to one of the best stat-up moves in the game, Nasty Plot. Also, Flash Fire absorbs Fire attacks coming at Steelix

If you ran this the set would look like:
Ninetales @ Life Orb
Ability:Flash Fire
Modest/Timid Nature
4 Hp/252 Spd/252 SAtk
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower. I prefer Fire Blast.
-Energy Ball-Kills some of the less bulky water types.
-HP of your choice. I would suggest Ice, but there aren't as many Dragons in the UU metagame. So, in this case, maybe Electric for Flying types, or you could run WoW (Will-o-Wisp) or Hypnosis for support options.

Ambi lead would be good. You could run a rather strange but possibly effective set with Fake out and Last Resort, or you could run:

Ambipom @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Jolly Nature
Ability:Technician
4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spd
-Fake Out
-Uturn
-Brick Break
-Shadow Claw/Pursuit/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch

I ran this as a surprise for ghost switch-ins that come into the Fake Out. If a switch is imminent, i can Pursuit their lead, and if a Ghost comes in after that, its just about to be KOd by, yes, you guessed it, Pursuit.

If Ambipom doesn't look like its going to be achieving much, you can always Fake Out, then Uturn out for some scouting.

This is a nice utility lead for me, its done quite well imo.

Take or leave my changes. Hope i could help.
That entire post was made of win, minus the Ninetales part... Ninetales has no business trying to take Blaziken's job, all of its stats, barring Spe and the defenses, are significantly lower than Blaziken's...

Wait! I just saw Nasty Plot... I'll give it a try...

Everything else there will be put into effect, Ambipom will also replace Absol as the lead... Thanks for your help!

On an unrealated tone, I'm going to try Haze > Hidden Power and Toxic > Hypnosis on Milotic.

uh, unless alot changed from the tier list from last week, i know there were changes made, like half of your team is BL, which is banned in UU environment. Unless you're playing standard battles w/ these pokes then it's fine. Ambipom, Hariyama, Gallade, Blaziken, and Milotic are all BL. Absol is the only uu poke you got there. Just pointing that out.
Umm...

j0ht0, a lot changed from last week =D

I agree that Absol should be changed. It's simply not fast enough to Taunt effectively, and doesn't set up anything for your team or shut down your opponent. You have three fighting types, which as someone else noticed, gives you a big flying weakness, not to mention redundant coverage.

Furthermore, you have no "set-up" Pokemon, like those that use SD or CM to boost their stats. I always like to have at least one of these on an offensive team, since they help prevent you from getting walled and allow you to abuse your opponent's set-up fodder. I don't have suggestions as I haven't yet playtested all the new options, but just throwing some ideas out there for you.
Spiritomb is the most popular, but what to replace...

Thanks a lot. Yeah, the only reason i like Ninetales>Blaziken in the UU environment is that there isn't a Blissey in UU, however, there are many Swamperts and Hippowdons, and i mean Pokemon of that type.

Saying, there is no "Special Wall" in UU, that can take and shrug off pretty much any Special Attack.

There is however a lot of Physical walls.

For instance-Steelix. (Blaziken probably can't OHKO unless you run Overheat..)

And i really like how you included HP Water on the Ninetales =D =D =D i completely forgot that.

Well, i'm extremely glad i could help your team, and if you want a battle ever feel free to PM me.

X_X Nice talkin to you.

I agree somewhat with dizzleman as to put night slash.
Also I think your hariyama should be changed to a Haxihama. (god knows why, some one called mine that) That is of the Sub+Belly+Salac+Ice Punch+Brick Breack variety. It gives virtually the same coverage(even better perhaps) with an STAB move. But ultimately its your choice, though I recommend trying it out.

I agree somewhat with dizzleman as to put night slash.
Also I think your hariyama should be changed to a Haxihama. (god knows why, some one called mine that) That is of the Sub+Belly+Salac+Ice Punch+Brick Breack variety. It gives virtually the same coverage(even better perhaps) with an STAB move. But ultimately its your choice, though I recommend trying it out.
Did you forget that Focus Punch is a Fighting-type move? Anyways, it looks like it's worth trying...

7. Bumping. If your team is interesting enough to comment on, people will do it for you. If no one at all comments on your RMT for around 24 hours, feel free to bump it. After you have bumped your thread once, or after it has been inactive for two weeks, do not bump it again unless you are making significant changes. "Stealth Bumps" will not be tolerated. Moderators and Administrators can see your deleted posts, so do yourself and us a favor and don't even attempt this.
Since it's still not working out well, let's see what changes can be made here... I've also recently noticed that I'm now weak to hail...

Well, I personally use Ninetails, and I think that if you had Hypnosis over HP, you'd be good. Hypnosis will guarantee you a turn to Nasty Plot, and since Ninetails has a Base 100 speed, not many things are going to be able to outspeed it unless they've got a Choice Scarf, or they're Crobat/Swellow, etc.

Relating to that, you could also change your Absol Set to a "Trap-Passing Set" to help out Ninetails or Hariyama. If your opponent switches in Chansey, then you would use absol to Mean Look and BP Haryiama in and end Chansey's life w/ Sub-Punch.

Absol @ Leftovers
Jolly
EV's: 252Atk/252Spe/6Hp
-Night Slash/Sucker Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Mean Look
-Baton Pass

And that's my two cents.

-Hoagie

After quickly looking over your team, here's my suggestions

Ambipom: Drop Fake Out (Blasphemy!) for Taunt. Everybody knows that Ambipom uses Fake Out first turn, and switches to a steel or ghost type while Ambi shoots itself in the foot for 10% damage. Taunt stops setup leads and also stops those steels from setting up stealth rock and ghosts from doing anything useful at all. And people will still think you've got FO and are just a great predicter, so they'll keep switching, giving you lots of chances to use pursuit.

Absol: From personal experience, focus sash and sucker punch are just too iffy to rely on for a sweep. It forces you to play prediction wars with phazers and you lose against faster priority users like ambipom. I would suggest Honchkrow instead with

@ LO / Insomnia / Naughty
252 atk / 252 sp atk / 6 spe
Drill Peck / Sucker Punch / Heat Wave / Taunt.

Great for getting rid of annoying steel types that get lured in and openeing up your Ambipom to deal some damage. Taunt stops said steel types from putting up SR before you kill them. I made the ev spread from scratch, so feel free to adjust it as you like to maximize this guys effectiveness.

Hariyama: Whirl Wind over Thunderpunch removes your problem against CMers (which 75% of every good team carries), without giving up much in the way of type coverage.

Ninetales: Sadly, sub/salac Houndoom does this role better, with higher special attack and speed (after salac), Dual STAB, and 1 more immunity than Ninetales to switch in on. Ninetales may have better coverage with it's three attacks, but I'll give you a little advice that I've learned from battling: Effectively using a sweeper requires that you know what counters that sweeper and strategically removing those counters to enable a sweep. Any sweeper that can sweep a team without support is broken (yachechomp).

Milotic: Milotic is really failing to impress so far in UU. With no key physical resistances outside of water, Milotic has no business trying to be a wall with only 95/79 hp/defense. Unless you have 250/130 base stats, resistances are key when playing defensively. If you really need a hazer, there are better options in Weezing, who can also burn threats and conveniantly patches up your teams vulnerability to fighting and ground attacks. Crobat could also fill this role, with it's immunity to ground and 4x resistance to fighting and grass attacks making up for 80/80 hp/defense.

HP Rock > Water, since you get to hit Altaria hard (who walls you otherwise) and still allows to damage fire types.
Blaziken is a common switch in for my Ninetails, just to be OHKOd by HP Water... Also, Altaria doesn't appear to be getting much play either...

Well, I personally use Ninetails, and I think that if you had Hypnosis over HP, you'd be good. Hypnosis will guarantee you a turn to Nasty Plot, and since Ninetails has a Base 100 speed, not many things are going to be able to outspeed it unless they've got a Choice Scarf, or they're Crobat/Swellow, etc.

Relating to that, you could also change your Absol Set to a "Trap-Passing Set" to help out Ninetails or Hariyama. If your opponent switches in Chansey, then you would use absol to Mean Look and BP Haryiama in and end Chansey's life w/ Sub-Punch.

Absol @ Leftovers
Jolly
EV's: 252Atk/252Spe/6Hp
-Night Slash/Sucker Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Mean Look
-Baton Pass

And that's my two cents.

-Hoagie
Hypnosis seems like a fine option, but I think I'm going to go with TVboyCanti's solution.

Also, I would have gone to Umbreon if I wanted TrapPassing... >.<

After quickly looking over your team, here's my suggestions

Ambipom: Drop Fake Out (Blasphemy!) for Taunt. Everybody knows that Ambipom uses Fake Out first turn, and switches to a steel or ghost type while Ambi shoots itself in the foot for 10% damage. Taunt stops setup leads and also stops those steels from setting up stealth rock and ghosts from doing anything useful at all. And people will still think you've got FO and are just a great predicter, so they'll keep switching, giving you lots of chances to use pursuit.

Genius! Pure Genius!

Absol: From personal experience, focus sash and sucker punch are just too iffy to rely on for a sweep. It forces you to play prediction wars with phazers and you lose against faster priority users like ambipom. I would suggest Honchkrow instead with

@ LO / Insomnia / Naughty
252 atk / 252 sp atk / 6 spe
Drill Peck / Sucker Punch / Heat Wave / Taunt.

Great for getting rid of annoying steel types that get lured in and openeing up your Ambipom to deal some damage. Taunt stops said steel types from putting up SR before you kill them. I made the ev spread from scratch, so feel free to adjust it as you like to maximize this guys effectiveness.

This one's also good! xD Time to go run calcs!

Hariyama: Whirl Wind over Thunderpunch removes your problem against CMers (which 75% of every good team carries), without giving up much in the way of type coverage.

Thunderpunch? I would have chosen Ice Punch, but if you say so...

Ninetales: Sadly, sub/salac Houndoom does this role better, with higher special attack and speed (after salac), Dual STAB, and 1 more immunity than Ninetales to switch in on. Ninetales may have better coverage with it's three attacks, but I'll give you a little advice that I've learned from battling: Effectively using a sweeper requires that you know what counters that sweeper and strategically removing those counters to enable a sweep. Any sweeper that can sweep a team without support is broken (yachechomp).

O.O Uhh... The Speed drop isn't that big, but look at how much of a general improvement it is! I'm replacing it right away!

Milotic: Milotic is really failing to impress so far in UU. With no key physical resistances outside of water, Milotic has no business trying to be a wall with only 95/79 hp/defense. Unless you have 250/130 base stats, resistances are key when playing defensively. If you really need a hazer, there are better options in Weezing, who can also burn threats and conveniantly patches up your teams vulnerability to fighting and ground attacks. Crobat could also fill this role, with it's immunity to ground and 4x resistance to fighting and grass attacks making up for 80/80 hp/defense.

Crobat makes loads more sense. I was looking for something fast that resists fighting in order to take them down. Thanks! Howver, before I remove it, I should point out that I managed to get it to actually be good at physical walling.
Comments on your help in bold, thanks for helping. You're actually the most accurate person here since you actually faced this team. xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)