Is there anything (not related to Pokemon) that you are one of the best in the world at?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a pretty good singer, I guess. I still have a lot of training, and probably a decade before my voice finishes maturing... but I've almost three octaves of notes I can actually sing. Closer to 4 if I count the ones I'm shit at. Folks say I make nice sounds too, so that's nice. I can also anticipate the words and uh, pitch, of songs, so I can "ear sing" as I call it... but maybe that's less my skill and more a note for songwriters to stop being lazy. I also have learned pitch, or somesuch... if I learn a song I have perfect pitch for that song. When I have some spare time, I plan to really master a song or two and develop proper perfect pitch off that, but eh... video games...

I'm fairly good at creative writing too, namely world building, campaign design and roleplaying. I keep to the online sort, since humans scare me, but I can play pretty much any character, any gender, any race... dun matter. I'm actually experimenting with a pokemon trainer who has a fear of thunder and lightning at the moment. I'd love to combine those skills and actually write something, but I always lose momentum... or get hung up on a detail that's not in the story yet, which leads to inferior writing as I try to get to that bit.

I have some of the fastest swim times in the EFSL (European Forces Swim League) for REDACTED year olds. Also speaking of swimming I was in the top three swim times in Mario and Sonic in the Olympic games for wii

There was computer prime number game we had in 1st grade that I cleared 100+ levels on routinely while I never saw anyone get far past 20 (not even cheating). That I might've literally been the best in the world at. I was also the fastest at multiplying/dividing with decimals at the school but I know there are people that practice this everyday in their 40s and air late night educational ads about it.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can carry four large plates in my hands with food on them!

Three on one and one in my left. Still have yet to drop one !. !

EDIT:

So I might be the greatest expo on the planet i don't know.

Oh, I remember getting Top Toons for defeating the VP boss the most in a day back in 2007. I had beaten him 15 times in a day, which was impressive back then.

Maybe something else will pop up if I think hard enough!
curious if anyone actually knows what you're talking about (i do)

i played that game so much when i was younger, and nearly got to max laff points, but then secondary school started, so i had to stop playing so much. that was one funass game though, i have to say

ive really done nothing with my life. ive always been above average in my classes, and above average at music, terrible at sports that arent gymnastics or football (soccer). feels kinda shitty tbh

my gymnastics coach is part of the highest ranking group in the world for call of duty black ops 2 though, so thats cool even though i dont like cod myself

edit: like MrIndigo, i could read fluently at 4 years old, and I've been learning French since I was 2 (though i had to stop recently since it's not taught in NZ)

I suspect that I'm tied for 'best operator of a Goblin Charbelcher deck.' Make of it what you will.

More seriously, I don't really get out of the house enough to know if I'm the best at anything. I'm a pretty good pianist (good enough to make a living out of it, at least), and a decent composer. I'm generally well read, and I'm really knowledgeable about a small number of games (for instance, I've read literally every official sourcebook for D&D 3.5, most of them multiple times). I was tested to have a college-level vocabulary when I was in elementary school, so I guess that's a thing. I can't actually remember the name of the test, though, so it's hard to say where that actually puts me on a global scale.

I'm a pretty good singer, I guess. I still have a lot of training, and probably a decade before my voice finishes maturing... but I've almost three octaves of notes I can actually sing. Closer to 4 if I count the ones I'm shit at.
That's fucking impressive. The best singers I get to gig with can usually hit about 2.

No where near the best in the world, but biblical scholarship is a sort of hobby of mine. I had Hebrew drilled in during grade school, and even after I left, I have taken up secular scholar ship. Not really notable, but probably a relatively obscure talent here.
Aside from that... I dunno. People say Im good at writing, but I think Im crap. Plus I never finish anything. Maybe one day.

I suspect that I'm tied for 'best operator of a Goblin Charbelcher deck.' Make of it what you will.
Are you pro? someone I might have heard of?

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
back when shizmoo sumo volleyball was active, Justin8649, Vineon and some other dudes used to constantly kick my ass when i just started as i was the noobest from the entire bunch of us. As time progressed, roles reversed, i began collecting heads, and a little after when everyone but me retired, i went on to achieve the highest possible rating ever on that game before it crashed (2817). Hailed as one of the top nigs by the other top nigs and low-lying members of the community.

#AskAboutMe

I like to think I'm a decent singer - though without any vocal training whatsoever, there will probably be tons of people better xD (though with what's the in charts at times, the art of singing properly seems to have fallen by the wayside - autotune or rapping like a **** seems to take precedence nowadays...).

Last edited:
I am a very, very fast reader, averaging 750-1000 words per minute. The average adult reads at about 300-350 WPM. In other words, I read about three to four pages of a novel a minute. I've had no training in speed reading, but I'm thinking about starting. The world record for WPM is around 4,000, so if I work at it, I might have a chance.

i just remembered something
i was 17th in england for the 11+ which is pretty cool (its basically an entrance exam for secondary school that decides what school you go to depending on how well you do). i also managed to get into the school with the highest GCSE results in the country

I was one of the best math students in the country, all the way from 6th-12th grade I scored in the top 5 on the AMC 14 (American Math Competition, 14 is the highest level), winning it in 12th grade. I also won the MathCounts NorCal season in Fall '01, Spring '02, Summer '03, Fall '03, Winter '03, Fall '05, Spring '06, Summer '06, Winter '06, Winter '07, Spring '08, Summer '08, Fall '08, Winter '09, and Summer '10. I think that's a lot, but it is only a competition in NorCal.
I am on the committee that writes Stanford's MathCounts events (we host two every season), and am on our Chess, Math, and Science teams. Our chess team is bad, including me, but our math and science teams are among the best in the world (NO DUH--WE'RE STANFORD!). My freshman year we won math worldwide and took second in science (SCREW YOU HARVARD), and Sophomore I was the mvp in math, taking it for Stanford's third year in a row, although I didn't deserve it since my final answer was a guess between two options--my calculator said one thing but my brain said another, so I went with my brain.
Oh yeah, in High School we were in nationals all four years in the National Science Bowl, but only won Junior Year. I am also on the verge of a major scientific discovery, my friend and I are really close to building a working quantum microchip.

Last edited:
i just remembered something
i was 17th in england for the 11+ which is pretty cool (its basically an entrance exam for secondary school that decides what school you go to depending on how well you do). i also managed to get into the school with the highest GCSE results in the country
Bit of a longshot, but are you perhaps a C. H., an OW from WS ?

Former top 60 in the NA region and top 200 in the world in 2v2 arranged in Starcraft II (two years ago).

"But aren't you supposed to be in Master League?"

"I've been in that league for too many seasons......until Heart of the Swarm."

imo, interesting: I don't have accurate verification of this, but back in the day I believe I held the world record on biggest combos in a fighting game called Garou: Mark of the Wolves for Neo Geo (non tool assisted). It's my favorite of the King of Fighters series. Anyway, many of these require (near?) frame perfect precision, which meant I just tried over and over until I finally was able to do it. I have a big folder of my captures, but here are a couple of my favorites:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45462879/rockcombo5.swf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45462879/hokucombo1.swf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45462879/hotarucombo5.swf
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45462879/dongcombo1.swf
I know I'm late to the party on this but holy shit dude, those Garou combos are something serious.

EDIT: To expand --

By the age of 5 I was tested and said to read at a level on par with a post high-school 18 year old individual, something that I believe has carried over in my life as far as what I'm interested in (that being writing poetry, etc.)

I scored the highest in my school's history on my Freshman entrance exam (this was considered a feat by the state, but I'm not entirely sure how that equates to the entire state.), and have scored in around the 99th percentile in reading and reading comprehension.

As far as outstanding achievements go, that's about it. I really wish I had a high score or was notable at all in the Fighting Game Community (the community I am most passionate about by leaps and bounds.), but the fact that I'm 15 and live way too far away from anyone good to get any better than I currently am (this truth is bolstered by the fact that console online for the fighting games I am actually good at, that being Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition, have completely shit netcode.)

Once Mcleod Gaming manages to create online for Super Smash Flash 2, I'm fully confident that I will dominate there, because I have logged far too many hours into that game than I care to admit. (This is half a joke. I'm sure you can guess which half it is.)

I am also a (at least this is what everyone tells me) 'formerly' gifted singer. I was in my school's church chorus group starting in grade 5 to grade 8, and had led with a friend of mine for the majority of solos during school and Sunday masses. However, as luck would have it, I lost my singing voice that I never prepared to lose around last year (for reasons you can deduce), while my friend continues to sound great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)