BSS Iron Hands

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
[SET]
name: CATCH THESE HANDS (Assault Vest)
move 1: Drain Punch
move 2: Thunder Punch / Wild Charge
move 3: Earthquake / Close Combat / Fake Out
move 4: Heavy Slam / Ice Punch / Volt Switch
item: Assault Vest
tera type: Electric / Steel / Ground
ability: Quark Drive
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
SET COMMENTS

* With its great Attack, good natural bulk and excellent offensive typing, Iron Hands stands out as a premier attacker.

* **Drain Punch**: While weaker than Close Combat, Drain Punch's recovery keeps Iron Hands healthy and takes advantage of its great bulk.

* **Thunder Punch vs Wild Charge**: Wild Charge lets Iron Hands muscle through bulky foes like physically defensive Dondozo at the cost of longevity.

* **Fake Out**: Fake Out picks off weakened, normally faster threats, such as Dragonite and Volcarona. It can also beat Focus Sash leads, such as Iron Bundle.

* **Heavy Slam**: Heavy Slam is Iron Hands’s best option to hit Fairy-types, notably OHKOing Flutter Mane.

* **Ice Punch**: Ice Punch gives Iron Hands a good option to hit Dragonite and Great Tusk.

* **Volt Switch**: Volt Switch, though incredibly weak, can scout switches and maintain offensive momentum.

Tera Types
==========
* **Electric**:Tera Electric elevates Thunder Punch’s power to more acceptable levels, makes Wild Charge very difficult to switch in to, and removes Iron Hands’s weakness to Fairy.

* **Steel**: Tera Steel grants a resistance to Fairy and boosts Heavy Slam’s power, drastically improving Iron Hand’s matchup against Flutter Mane.

* **Ground**: Tera Ground lets Iron Hands perform better against other Iron Hands, becoming immune to Electric-type attacks and allowing it to hit much harder with Earthquake.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting allows Iron Hands to deal more damage with Drain Punch and Close Combat while also removing its weakness to Ground-type attacks.

* **Flying**: Tera Flying lets Iron Hands completely flip its matchup against Great Tusk by resisting both of its STAB types and dodging Fissure attempts from the likes of Dondozo.

* **Fire**: A Fire-type Tera grants a Fairy resistance while not being vulnerable to Fighting-type attacks or Will-O-Wisp, though it does make Iron Hands more vulnerable to Iron Bundle.

* **Fairy**: A Fairy-type Tera allows Iron Hands to take advantage of its great bulk by giving it a better defensive typing and threatens Dragon-types and other Iron Hands with a stronger Play Rough.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[DerpySuX, 528485]]
- Quality checked by: [Theorymon, 29010]
- Grammar checked by: [[Dawn of Ares, 467437]], [[UT, 523866]]

Last edited:

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Btw yes I know that the grammar is incorrect in the thread name, but “Der Eisenhand” sounds funnier than “Die Eisenhand” so cope and seethe

Very weirdly Iron Hands does not learn T-Wave. Could a Fling+Light Ball set work, like w/ Annihilape? What is here looks very good.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Checking this now! First, some formatting fixes since we changed some stuff :P

[SET]
name: CATCH THESE HANDS
tera type: Electric / Steel / Flying
SET COMMENTS

* With its great Attack and natural bulk alongside an excellent offensive typing, Iron Hands stands out as a premier attacker.

* **Drain Punch**: While weaker than Close Combat, Drain Punch’s recovery allows Iron Hands to stay healthy and take advantage of its great bulk.

* ** Wild Charge versus Thunder Punch**: Wild Charge’s recoil may be worthwhile as it can allow Iron Hands to muscle through things that Thunder Punch cannot, like physically defensive Dondozo.

* **Fake Out**: Fake Out‘s priority can allow Iron Hands to pick off weakened threats that it is normally slower than, such as Dragonite or Volcarona.

* **Heavy Slam**: Heavy Slam is Iron Hands’s best option to hit Fairy-types with, notably OHKOing Flutter Mane.

* **Ice Punch**: Ice Punch gives Iron Hands a good option to hit Dragonite and Great Tusk with.

* * Volt Switch**: Volt Switch, though being incredibly weak, can be used to scout switches and maintain offensive momentum.

Tera Types
==========
* **Electric**: An Electric-type Tera elevates Thunder Punch’s power to more acceptable levels and makes Wild Charge very difficult to switch in to, as well as removing Iron Hand’s weakness to Fairy.

* **Steel**: Terastallizing into a Steel-type grants a resistance to Fairy-type attacks and boosts Heavy Slam’s power, drastically improving Iron Hand’s matchup against Flutter Mane.

* **Flying**: By Terastallizing into a Flying-type, Iron Hands is able to completely flip its matchup against Great Tusk by resisting both of its STABs.

* **Fire**: A Fire-type Tera grants a Fairy resistance while not being vulnerable to Fighting-type attacks or Will-o-Wisp, though it does make Iron Hands more vulnerable to Iron Bundle

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: []
- Grammar checked by: [[]]
Anyways, onto the check itself!

- Believe it or not, Ground is actually the 3rd most common Tera type right now (at 18.7%)! The reasoning beyond "strong EQ good" is: its good for the mirror match up. Yes seriously, Iron Hands usage is rising rapidly enough that people are preparing for the mirror match lol. I think's its legit worth slashing in for "deal with other Iron Hands" alone rn lol.

- Fighting is the 4th most common too (at 17.3%), though I don't think we have to make it a slash in. Basically its just "strong drain punch unga bunga, does well against Great Tusk / Garchomp" sort of stuff, so its an easy bullet point.

- I think Fairy is actually worth a mention. Besides the Dragon immunity being good ofc, it can mess with Iron Hands mirrors when used with Play Rough, which is also an alright option for role comprssion to hit dragons and figthers with one move. What's nice is that, since Steel Tera Iron Hands uses Heavy Slam... the fat of your own Iron Hands makes Heavy Slam suck against it LOL, its only 40 BP so they'll fear Drain Punch more. Plus, Fairy is actually used more than Steel so I think its at least worth talking about it.

- Another cool thing to mention for Fake Out, is that it can really mess with pivoting Sash leads like Iron Bundle.

- Since I mentioned it earlier: I think an Other Options section with a mention of Play Rough is worth it. I don't think its really worth slashing in because only Tera Fairy is gonna use it, but its cool role compression if Tera Fairy fits on your team.

Anyways, once that's done I'ma give this a QC approval!

(also, I might have to change the thread title a bit so the GP team isn't like "wtf is this mon" when the queue updates lol)

DerpySuX

Checking this now! First, some formatting fixes since we changed some stuff :P

Anyways, onto the check itself!

- Believe it or not, Ground is actually the 3rd most common Tera type right now (at 18.7%)! The reasoning beyond "strong EQ good" is: its good for the mirror match up. Yes seriously, Iron Hands usage is rising rapidly enough that people are preparing for the mirror match lol. I think's its legit worth slashing in for "deal with other Iron Hands" alone rn lol.

- Fighting is the 4th most common too (at 17.3%), though I don't think we have to make it a slash in. Basically its just "strong drain punch unga bunga, does well against Great Tusk / Garchomp" sort of stuff, so its an easy bullet point.

- I think Fairy is actually worth a mention. Besides the Dragon immunity being good ofc, it can mess with Iron Hands mirrors when used with Play Rough, which is also an alright option for role comprssion to hit dragons and figthers with one move. What's nice is that, since Steel Tera Iron Hands uses Heavy Slam... the fat of your own Iron Hands makes Heavy Slam suck against it LOL, its only 40 BP so they'll fear Drain Punch more. Plus, Fairy is actually used more than Steel so I think its at least worth talking about it.

- Another cool thing to mention for Fake Out, is that it can really mess with pivoting Sash leads like Iron Bundle.

- Since I mentioned it earlier: I think an Other Options section with a mention of Play Rough is worth it. I don't think its really worth slashing in because only Tera Fairy is gonna use it, but its cool role compression if Tera Fairy fits on your team.

Anyways, once that's done I'ma give this a QC approval!

(also, I might have to change the thread title a bit so the GP team isn't like "wtf is this mon" when the queue updates lol)
Thanks for the check! Will update asap.
As for the thread name, I will change it, however “Der Eisenhand” is literally just “the iron hands” in German lmfao

Could it be worth moving some evs to speed? Base 50 has Azu, Kingambit, and the mirror, so speed creeping those could be worth a small hit to special defense or even attack...?

DerpySuX

Alrighty here’s what I changed now
- added a blurb about denying sash leads with fake out

- added ground, fighting, and fairy tera descriptions

- added mention of Fissure for flying tera

Could it be worth moving some evs to speed? Base 50 has Azu, Kingambit, and the mirror, so speed creeping those could be worth a small hit to special defense or even attack...?
the specific amount of speed you want really varies from team to team right now. Some just put the 4 extra in there, some heavily invest, some want to abuse trick room/slow volt switches and minimize their speed as a result. Currently there just isn’t a consensus on what the “optimal” speed benchmark is, but if and when one comes up, I wouldn’t be opposed to adding it in.

DerpySuX

Gotcha, that makes sense. I guess going into the speed benchmarks would take up too much space anyway. Thanks!
no problem! And I personally wouldn’t mind writing a section on EV spreads and what speed benchmarks to consider, I just would prefer to wait for the metagame to settle a bit more so we know what’s actually relevant

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
* Fake Out‘s priority can allow Iron Hands to pick off weakened threats that it is normally slower than, such as Dragonite or Volcarona. Additionally, Fake Out can mess with Focus Sash leads, such is Iron Bundle.
Did you mean as? :P

Otherwise, QC Approved 1/1!

GP Team

Dawn of Ares

Power of Athena!
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Amcheck with UT's help.

Add
Remove
Comment

[SET]
name: CATCH THESE HANDS (Change into something more descriptive)
tera type: Electric / Steel / Ground
[SET COMMENTS] (brackets)

* With its great Attack, good and natural bulk, (add comma) and alongside an excellent offensive typing, Iron Hands stands out as a premier attacker.

* **Drain Punch**: While weaker than Close Combat, Drain Punch’s recovery allows Iron Hands to stay healthy and take advantage of its great bulk. Drain Punch's recovery keeps Iron Hands healthy and takes advantage of its great bulk.

* **Thunder Punch vs Wild Charge**: Wild Charge’s recoil may be worthwhile as it can allow Iron Hands to muscle through things that Thunder Punch cannot, like physically defensive Dondozo.Wild Charge lets Iron Hands muscle through bulky foes like physically defensive Dondozo at the cost of longevity.

* **Fake Out**: Fake Out‘s priority can allow Iron Hands to picks off weakened, (add comma) normally faster threats that it is normally slower than, such as Dragonite or and Volcarona. Additionally, Fake Out can mess with Focus Sash leads, such is Iron Bundle.It can also beat Focus Sash leads, such as Iron Bundle.

* **Heavy Slam**: Heavy Slam is Iron Hands’s best option to hit Fairy-types with, notably OHKOing Flutter Mane.

* **Ice Punch**: Ice Punch gives Iron Hands a good option to hit Dragonite and Great Tusk with.

* **Volt Switch**: Volt Switch, though being incredibly weak, can be used to scout switches and maintain offensive momentum.

Tera Types
==========
* **Electric**: An Electric-type Tera Electric elevates Thunder Punch’s power to more acceptable levels, (add comma) and makes Wild Charge very difficult to switch in to, as well as and removinges Iron Hands’s weakness to Fairy.

* **Steel**: Terastallizing into a Steel-type Tera Steel grants a resistance to Fairy-type attacks and boosts Heavy Slam’s power, drastically improving Iron Hand’s matchup against Flutter Mane.

* **Ground**: Terastallizing into a Ground type lets Iron Hands to perform better against other Iron Hands, becoming immune to Electric-type attacks and allowing it to hit much harder with Earthquake.

* **Fighting**: Terastallizing into the Fighting type allows Iron Hands to deal more damage with Drain Punch and Close Combat while also removing its weakness to Ground-type attacks.

* **Flying**: By Terastallizing into a Flying type, lets Iron Hands is able to completely flip its matchup against Great Tusk by resisting both of its STABs types and as well as dodgeing Fissure attempts from the likes of Dondozo.

* **Fire**: A Fire-type Tera grants a Fairy resistance while not being vulnerable to Fighting-type attacks or Will-oO-Wisp, though it does make Iron Hands more vulnerable to Iron Bundle. (Add period)

* **Fairy**: A Fairy-type Tera allows Iron Hands to take advantage of its great bulk by giving it a better defensive typing and allows it to hit harder with Play Rough to threaten Dragon-types and other Iron Hands.threaten Dragon-types and other Iron Hands with a stronger Play Rough.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Theorymon, 29010]] (brackets)
- Grammar checked by: [[]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)