Introducing...Slaking

Introduction: Slaking is a pokemon that is blessed with Uber-like stats; his total base is 670, placing it at the same level as Kyogre and Groudon, and higher than every OU pokemon in the game. However, he is cursed by one of the worst abilities in the game, Truant. Under Truant, Slaking only can attack once every two turns. This is the main reason he is not seen very much, if at all in OU play. You can find the official Smogon analysis of Slaking here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22387

The Idea: Beez and I found the smogon Slaking analysis lacking to say the least; there had to be another use for it. Among the greatest threats in the current D/P metagame are the stable of dragons: Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite and (even though he is not dragon-type), Gyarados. These four pokemon give everyone problems when making a competitive team. They all have great stats, and have access to at least one of the super-powerful Outrage, Draco Meteor or Dragon Dance. To our understanding there wasn’t anything in our current metagame to be able to counter effectively all variants of these monsters. Until...

SlaKing Arthur the Dragon Slayer
Adamant @Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP, 52 Att., 200 Spec. Def. (props to Bologo)
- Ice Punch
- Thunderpunch
- Return
- Pursuit

Since Slaking pretty much can only attack once efficiently then must switch out, he is a perfect candidate for a choice item. In this case, Choice Scarf magnifies his already brilliant 100 base speed stat and allows him to outspeed most threats. Adamant Nature, 252 hp Evs, 200 spec def evs allows him to survive a Choice Specs Salamence Draco Meteor 100% of the time. Slaking can outspeed any non-Choice Scarf Garchomp, Gyarados, Salamence or Dragonite, among others.

Ice Punch is the main attack for this monster. Even though he is not running a +Att nature, he still has enough power to safely OHKO all standard variants of Garchomp, Salamence and Dragonite. Many people are not aware of this, and this adds to the effectiveness of the set.

Thunderpunch with Stealth Rock, OHKOs BulkyGyarados…, OHKOs all non-Bulky variants.

Return is Slaking’s strongest move on this set. That being said, Return is better used to finish off weakened opponents other than the aforementioned dragons, due to the unfortunate characteristics of Truant.

Pursuit is a nice final option to hit pokemon switching out of Slaking. It is also a great weapon to use against switching (or even non-switching) Gengar and Cresselia, as well as a nice option to revenge kill.

Final Notes and Explanations: Both Beez and I have used a team containing this slaking for about 35-40 matches and it has performed better than we could have imagined. Most people see slaking and have no idea what to do; people think because of truant they can take whatever Slaking can throw at them and get an extra turn to set-up. This is especially true of DDing pokemon. If Ice Punch/Thunderpunch had not already been revealed, not one person switched out their Gyarados/Mence/Dragonite/Garchomp vs. Slaking. We both have Wish support on our teams and this helps recover some of the residual damage from Stealth Rock/Spikes and the like. Perhaps the only problem with this set effectively countering all of the dragons would be a late game SpecsMence sweeper with Stealth Rock support, which would make surving a Draco Meteor iffy. Thank you very much for reading this set proposal idea, especially since it was a bit long. Beez and I worked together so the credit (and especially the discredit or flames) is both of ours.

In the following post Beez will post the accompanying damage calculations.

SlaKing Arthur the Dragon Slayer
~ Adamant @ choice scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 52Atk / 200 Sp. Def.
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit
- Return

Courtesy of Fastball77 and Beez

Taking the hit when switching in Slaking:
(all attacking calculations were done using standard natures and EV spreads found in analyses, with MetalKid's D/P calculator)

Note: these calcs were done using the original EV spread. with the new one provided by bologo it takes hits better, so i need to redo the calculations

Garchomp
Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. Slaking: 55.95% - 65.87%
Chain Chomp Draco Meteor vs. Slaking: 51.79% - 60.91%
CB Garchomp Outrage vs. Slaking: 64.29% - 75.79%
Choice Scarf Outrage vs. Slaking: 43.06% - 50.60%

Salamence
Choice Specs Draco Meteor vs. Slaking: 80.36% - 94.64%
Choice Banded Dragon Claw vs. Slaking: 44.25% - 51.98%
-1 DD Max Attack Dragon Claw vs. Slaking: 57.54% - 67.66%

Gyarados (Max Attack)
Life Orbed Waterfall vs. Slaking: 36.51% - 43.06%
-After 1 Dragon Dance vs. Slaking: 54.37% - 64.09%
Life Orbed Earthquake vs. Slaking: 30.36% - 35.71%
- After 1 Dragon Dance vs. Slaking: 45.24% - 53.17%

Dragonite
Life Orbed Max Atk Outrage vs. Slaking: 57.34% - 67.46%
- After 1 DD vs. Slaking: 85.52% - 100.60%
CSpecs Max Sp. Atk Draco Meteor vs. Slaking: 82.54% - 97.02%

Striking Back

Garchomp
Ice Punch vs. Chain Chomp: 109.80% - 129.13%
Ice Punch vs. SD or CB Garchomp (16 HP): 108.59% - 127.70%

Salamence
Ice Punch vs. SpecsMence (4 HP): 135.54% - 159.64%
Ice Punch vs. MixMence (120 HP): 124.65% - 146.81%

Dragonite
Ice Punch vs. Dragonite (58 HP Jolly): 116.32% - 136.80%
Ice Punch vs. Dragonite (16 HP Mild): 119.88% - 140.98%

Gyarados
Thunderpunch vs. Bulky Gyarados: 96.61% - 113.54%
Thunderpunch vs. DD Gyarados: 130.00% - 152.86%

Random Sampling
Pursuit vs. Gengar (4 HP): 58.02% - 68.32% (Without Gengar switching)

Who Cares?
The above calculations are crucial in the fact that based on our nature and EV spread, Slaking can survive at least one physical or special hit from any of the above pokemon, and then outspeed and OHKO any of them back. In our testing (about 40 matches), not one of the above have ever switched out when Slaking was brought in. The only instance in which we would not attack first after switching in would be against a Choice Scarf'd Garchomp from which the calcs show that unless there are stealth rocks or spikes on the field, we will almost always survive two outrages, and be able to OHKO ScarfChomp with ice punch.

This thing is a beast. I truly believe that this is perhaps the greatest counter to the above pokemon, which are 4 of the most powerful in the game. The fact that Slaking can take anything Garchomp, Salamence, Gyarados, or Dragonite can throw at it, and in return OHKO them back is awesome.

Discuss.

Eh, seems feasible, but there are many other better counters for the 600 dragons. Besides, CSSlaking just begs your opponent to set up on you. T-Punch Gyarados, Garchomp comes in and gets a free SD.

ok cooper, so that's nice for the teams with gyarados and garchomp. not to mention you can just bring it back in, and still outspeed it and kill it.

also, instead of just saying "there are better counters to the 600 dragons," do you mind actually giving an example of something that counters all of the above better?

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Eh, seems feasible, but there are many other better counters for the 600 dragons. Besides, CSSlaking just begs your opponent to set up on you. T-Punch Gyarados, Garchomp comes in and gets a free SD.

You can say that about any other Choice Electric use, but we still see Choice Tbolt Gengar, Starmie, TPunch Medicham, etc...

I'd like to see calcs after factoring intimidate, to see if this could be a nice lead...

Looks good, boys. I used Slaking a lot last gen, and he's a powerhouse. Metalkid's dmg calculator isn't working for me, but I think Return will OHKO Salamence anyway, though.

I've used Slaking in one of my teams, It works great for killing dragons, blisseys and stuff that switches in atempting to counter him, I have said this before and I will say it again

No matter how strong you are, if a Slaking attacks you, your fucked!

Also,(this is my expirience speaking), dont use thunderpunch unless you ABSOLUTLY KNOW YOUR OPONENT DOSN'T HAVE ELECTRIVIRE
If he does and you set off motor drive, your in a WORLD OF TROUBLE; Not only do you give him the boost, you also give him one free turn to attack (either traunt or your switch.)

Also Aggilypass-Jolteon can make your t-punch come back to bite your ass.

After reading through, I'm really liking this thing - unpredictable, and it hits many threats very hard. With Scarf it hits 354 speed, which works out great because it beats all non-DD/scarf threats, something you should probably mention somewhere.

The damage calculations are nice, the only ones that kind worry me are:
- After 1 DD vs. Slaking: 85.52% - 100.60%
-
Thunderpunch vs. Bulky Gyarados: 96.61% - 113.54%
But with decent luck you should be fine =)

I will definitely try this thing out in the future. Nice set!

ok, i can run some calcs factoring in intimidate. i think it should still be able to take out most of them, considering it pretty comfortably OHKO'd most of the variations, minus bulky gyarados.

Except when you magically predict that Garchomp and Ice Punch, or use Return just to be on the safe side. If you automatically assume your opponent will outpredict you, any Slaking will lose against a decent team, Choice Scarf or not.

As for the idea itself, it seems nice. Careful nature had me doubting at first, but it seems nice on the damage calculations. The only and biggest problem though, is that this Slaking seems to lack major firepower if it can't prey upon a 4x weakness.

Sounds kinda cool, although i personally enjoy using slaking just to pump a giant Return into the opponents. still, i like the thought. only strange thing really is that generally you'll see at least some speed EVs on a CS pokemon, although i see why you used said EV spread.

Except when you magically predict that Garchomp and Ice Punch, or use Return just to be on the safe side. If you automatically assume your opponent will outpredict you, any Slaking will lose against a decent team, Choice Scarf or not.

As for the idea itself, it seems nice. Careful nature had me doubting at first, but it seems nice on the damage calculations. The only and biggest problem though, is that this Slaking seems lacks major firepower if it can't prey upon a 4x weakness.
yup. it doesn't pack quite the punch against some other pokemon that aren't 4x weak, but against what we designed it for, it's pretty nasty. return still does an assload of damage to most pokemon.

well...careful nature isn't needed, with only 80spdef EVs + max HP, Slaking is guaranteed to live through specs Draco Meteor, albeit, if Stealth Rock is in play, he's screwed. :/

Sounds kinda cool, although i personally enjoy using slaking just to pump a giant Return into the opponents. still, i like the thought. only strange thing really is that generally you'll see at least some speed EVs on a CS pokemon, although i see why you used said EV spread.
With Scarf and no speed EVs with a neutral nature it hits 354, beating out the major threats listed (unless they're scarfed or DD'd, but the great thing is that thing can survive 1 DD hit from most of the things).

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
You are unfortunately wasting a lot of EVs with that Nature and EVs spread. Use this one:

252 HP/56 ATK/120 SP DEF
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

You get the exact same stats as you had with your other spread (actually 1 extra Attack because of EVs and being weird), but you get a whopping 80 EVs left over to use wherever you want.

I'd recommend putting those leftover EVs in speed so it doesn't unexpectedly get outsped by another, faster Choice Scarfer.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Salamence
Choice Specs Draco Meteor vs. Slaking: 80.36% - 94.64%

Dragonite
CSpecs Max Sp. Atk Draco Meteor vs. Slaking: 82.54% - 97.02%

Doesnt Mence have a better Sp. Atk? I don't get it, unless you're calc'ing with Timid Mence.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I was going to mention that. Cool idea I guess, but it relies on the X4 weaknesses since it isn't packing the punch a Slaking should. I personally don't think going out with a Pokémon that's designed only for countering one (or in this case 4, even though 3 of them fail to basically the same attacks) thing is too smart. Sure, they're very common Pokémon and this will probably allow you to beat them quite often. But it doesn't really do anything else.

shit. you're right. i must have accidentally left the life orb on for that calc. the correct number should be 88.10 - 103.57. This should be easily fixed though with Bologo's EV spread, which would help most of our numbers both attacking and defending. thanks

To be honest, you could have just stuck a CB on it and killed it right off the bat.........................you have Wish healing so whether or not taking a hit would have mattered really..............

690 attack vs 196 defense, 102 power(*1.5), 332 max HP: 116.27% - 136.75%

Return to Salamence before Intimidate

690 attack vs 239 defense, 102 power(*1.5), 384 max HP: 82.55% - 97.14%

Return to Bulkygyara before Intimidate

690 attack vs 194 defense, 102 power(*1.5), 332 max HP: 117.47% - 138.25%

Return to Min hp/def Gyara before Intimidate

690 attack vs 226 defense, 102 power(*1.5), 358 max HP: 93.58% - 110.06%

Return to Min Hp/def Garchomp

Stick Double-Edge or Stealth Rock and you did the same thing, except you hit other shit harder tbh. =/ Also play better people caues most actually DO know what Slaking can do.

edit: no one uses dragonite.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
Btw, this is probably the first Slaking ever who is walled by Magnezone!

Not like it matters anyway haha.

Some calcs on other things would be nice, like TPunching Skarmory, TPunch/IcePunch/Return on common bulky Waters/Grounds, Pursuit on Blissey, etc

btw double-edge does more to everything neutral than anything 2x SE for the most part so most of those other pokes don't need calc, as D-E obviously would do more than IP to hippowdon etc

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
So, with Stealth Rock down, Slaking is fucked? Hmm, might want to re-look at the EV's.

In theory, it would work well assuming the opponent is ignorant to Slaking's power (and more importantly speed). To counter efficiently, you need to be able to switch in time and time again. Slaking can get in one one Draco Meteor/Life Orb Outrage and kill the dragon provided he stays in. But if I saw a Slaking switch into an attack like that, I'd think one of two things.

- My opponent's an idiot.
- It knows it can kill me in the next turn.

If the opponent switches and you end up Ice Punching Skarmory, then you just took a shit load of damage for no reason, and probably won't be able to reliably switch in on a Dragon again.

What I'm saying is, in order to use this set, your prediction would have to be pretty good. And maybe Wish support.

So, with Stealth Rock down, Slaking is fucked? Hmm, might want to re-look at the EV's.

In theory, it would work well assuming the opponent is ignorant to Slaking's power (and more importantly speed). To counter efficiently, you need to be able to switch in time and time again. Slaking can get in one one Draco Meteor/Life Orb Outrage and kill the dragon provided he stays in. But if I saw a Slaking switch into an attack like that, I'd think one of two things.

- My opponent's an idiot.
- It knows it can kill me in the next turn.

If the opponent switches and you end up Ice Punching Skarmory, then you just took a shit load of damage for no reason, and probably won't be able to reliably switch in on a Dragon again.

What I'm saying is, in order to use this set, your prediction would have to be pretty good. And maybe Wish support.

The set is a bit surprising though. But, yeah, you would need good prediction. Against an unexperienced opponnet (sp?) thing would own at least 1 OU Dragon. But, all in all, I like it. Looks like a replacement for my Zangoose.

what different how suprising the set is? common knowledge says: cbreturn will fuck me up, time to switch. why would you switch in if you feared cbreturn in the first place? the only thing suprising is it manages to take a hit, and it shouldnt be doing so as its better off as a revenge killer for the most part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)