move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: U-turn
item: Leftovers
ability: Blaze
nature: Hasty / Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe

Why this deserves to be on the site:

­- Annoying set because Infernape has one of the fastest Encore in the game.
- There isn’t a set like this on site already. Although Encore is mentioned in AC as a way to get a free stat-ups this set is more of an annoyer.
- Works great on stall teams by abusing Encore with entry hazards up.
- Encore stops pokemon stall has problems with (SubSeed Breloom, CM Suicune, CM Jirachi, …) as well as being a great late game sweeper.

Additional comments:

- If more power is prefered Life Orb makes a good item as well.
- Slack Off provides a solid recovery move to heal from entry hazard damage + Life Orb recoil + possible weather damage. A pokemon stuck in a set up move allows frail Infernape to heal up.
- U-turn is a great move to keep momentum of the game. When being Encore’d in a non-attacking move your opponent will most likely switch so you can U-turn to an appropriate counter.
- Flamethrower can be used over Fire Blast for better accuracy and more PP.
- Expert Belt can be used to avoid Life Orb recoil and to fake a Choice item.
- An EV spread of 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 spe is also an option. Other spread are also possible as long as Infernape is using a + Spe nature and 192 Spe EV’s to outspeed base 100’s.
- This set really appreciate entry hazards as both Encore and U-turn force switches.

Seems pretty good, but maybe slash EQ or grass knot on the last move option for a more offensive run after encore, and to hit switches harder and coverage. Although is can slack off on the switch it won't help much with infernape constantly being OHKO'd due to it's frailty

Encore will still force switches so entry hazards can be abused. Slack Off provides a solid recovery move so Infernape keeps his health up so it can keep using Encore. U-turn is a scouting move to use after Encore.

Seems interesting, ill test this out.

Pretest notes:

Seems to force switches so U-Turn looks to me as the preferred option. If something like a Gyarados or Dragonite switches in, Ape can't do much. If LO recoil hurts a lot, Expert Belt / Leftovers could be worth a slash.

Able to stop anything with Set up moves (except +Speed boosting moves or pokemon faster than ape). Locking Suicune into CM or Vaporeon into Wish seems cool.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well well. Infernape's getting a new set that doesn't look bad after a few months.

Okay, so if Leftovers is going to be a primary option, it shouldn't be an option with Slack Off because you're causing more utility than harm in the process. U-Turn in partnership with Leftovers/Expert Belt because things like Starmie are going to switch into you alot, and for complimentary scouting. Slack Off + Life Orb simply to prolong Infernape's survivability should be relatively fine.

Totally just theorymoning, but some like Encore, Substitute, Focus Punch, Fire Blast might be really effective

Focus Punch isn't worth it when Infernape has Close Combat that can be used anytime, not just under a Sub. Its far more reliable and Two Close Combats do far more than One Focus Punch anyways, which is often times all your going to get.

Thanks for the comments.

@ AccidentalGreed: I updated the OP with U-turn + Leftovers and Slack Off + Life Orb. Expert Belt is mentioned in the AC.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Encore is the most annoying move ever. I abuse it on my NU team and it causes so many ragequits xD (Jumpluff and Quagsire)

I think entry hazards is a must in additional comments, because Encore causes many switches. And when you add U-Turn into the equation, they're even more useful.

seems pretty gimmicky to use Slack Off, wouldn't Grass Knot be better? Since it helps against the growing presence of GWF core and lets you hit Pert/Hippo?

I actually support U-Turn, as the Def./Sp.Def. lower from CC leaves Infernape vulnerable to being revenge killed. Also, could u please justify that Ev Spread? (Excuse me for my ignorance ^^)

seems pretty gimmicky to use Slack Off, wouldn't Grass Knot be better? Since it helps against the growing presence of GWF core and lets you hit Pert/Hippo?
This Infernape set isn't meant to be sweeping (at least early game), just to force switches and abuse entry hazards. Therefore Grass Knot isn't a prefered move.

I shall put Life Orb and Slack off in the AC.

I actually support U-Turn, as the Def./Sp.Def. lower from CC leaves Infernape vulnerable to being revenge killed. Also, could u please justify that Ev Spread? (Excuse me for my ignorance ^^)
This is the standard EV spread for Infernape. A positive nature and 192 allows Infernape to outspeed all base 100's. It's not a very good idea to invest in bulk on something as frail as Infernape so the best way to go is to invest in attack.

EDIT: I opted for this EV spread because it allows Infernape to OHKO SkarmBliss after SR damage (Blissey with Close Combat and Skarmory with Fire Blast).

Close Combat does 85.7% - 100.8% to a 252 HP / 252 Def Blissey.

This Infernape set really likes the longevity it gets from Leftovers but of course Life Orb can be used as well if you want the extra power.

Alright, so i really liked the theory behind this set but it has several flaws. As i was testing this set, I found that i rarely used Encore. I U-Turned early game and CC'd / Fire Blasted late game. The times i did Encore were when i locked: Suicune into Calm Mind, Swampert into Stealth Rock and Jirachi into CM. There are a couple other situations when Encore works but the thing is the whole idea in general is very situational. As Setsuna and I had discussed on IRC, Infernape's already excellent coverage means that a lot of the time, your better off attacking. Ape doesnt need to resort to Encoring the opponent often times. Another thing which really hurt my experience testing it was its inability to switch in. Sure you can lock Suicune into Calm Mind, but you cant switch in in case it surfs. A lot of the time, its a guessing game so I ended up only being able to switch Infernape in after i sacked a Pokemon. This really hurt the effectiveness of this set. Also, its important to mention that Infernape can OHKO / 2HKO nearly every threat in OU including encored targets. Both Setsuna and i do support this getting a OO mention since the current mention regards setting up. It has some merit, but just isn't worth it most the time, sorry.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Forcing switches with Encore allows Infernape to set up, no??

Maybe something like an Encore/NP or Encore/SD should be tested.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Other Options, IMO. NP and SD both vitally need the coverage moves to be effective, and as Megan Fox said, the difficulty of switching Infernape into actual attacks means that it's better off attacking most of the time, since it's switching in to revenge most of the time. As a result, I'd support Encore being OO, but not getting a main set.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
I think other options would probably be the best way to go. I don't really see this set being very effective because Infernape doesn't offer much bulk. You are basically limiting your attack power and doing nothing in addition to it. The reason why Encore is viable on the Stealth Rock set is because you are doing something else to support the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)