im at the peak of ''burnout'' and could use any and all advice

Samirsin

✧Rey de los Snom✧
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I can see you're going through a tough time with your Pokémon journey, and that's completely okay. Burnout can happen to anyone. My advice is to take a step back, give yourself permission to rest, and try to remember why you fell in love with Pokémon or the competitive in the first place. It might help to set smaller, achievable goals for yourself. Don't hesitate to talk to someone you trust about your feelings, and remember to take care of your physical and mental well-being. Your passion for Pokémon is valuable, but so is your health and happiness.

I think you should have a proper think about what tiers you want to prioritise - entering absolutely everything on the site will never leave you the time to properly delve into a tier. It’s always gonna be hard to play your best or focus when you’re constantly switching across gens and metas. What are your favourite tiers; which do you enjoy the most?

It might be worth taking a few weeks off as it does seem like you’ve been on the grind for ages, and you can have a think about your relationship with Smogon and what you want to get out of it, then come back with a clearer head afterwards. After your break enter fewer things, focus on those tiers more, save and study the replays and you’ll be doing better in no time.

John Madden

formerly j3b4it33d
At this point, I'm probably just echoing what everyone else has said, but taking a step back from playing mons is the best thing to do. Shift your focus and emotions towards learning a new skill (coding is a good one, as suggested by faint; playing chess, writing, learning a language etc. are ones I've considered), relaxing to music etc. It's helped me quite a bit as I've suffered from a few burnouts myself.

When you step back after a while, you may eventually find what brings you into the hobby in the first place. When you get back to it, don't lose sight of that motivation. If u play to experience the enjoyment and euphoria that draws you into playing (i.e play to have fun), that positive energy will get your performance up. If you play without having the desire to leave a good impression for others, or the need to maintain a good reputation, as your only goals, it relieves a fair amount of pressure and mitigates clouded judgement. Also, don't over-complicate the game. In my opinion, mons isn't and doesn't have to be that deep.

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
ive been goin thru a lot of burnout over the past couple of years as a writer, and with creativity in general. it fuckin sucks to feel powerless to progress with something that you've pushed yourself to excel in, especially if you've made it a huge component of how you live ur life.

my honest advice? dont do it for now. dont push yourself to go too hard for a while. the easiest way to make burnout last longer and hit harder is to do the same thing as you always have. just try your best to leave it be. it'll be fuckin hard, but it's so much better than the alternative: somehow being even more stuck than you were before. mines lasted a year n a half so far bc i pushed myself, and i fuckin hate it!!!! dont make my mistakes!!!!!

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
with five threads posted in a mere two weeks, it is no wonder that you are close to burnout. a poster must look after themselves and be wary of chasing the Poster's Rush, lest they meet this exact fate. refrain from posting for one month and see if this helps - physically restrain yourself if needed

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
i feel you on the burnout, the best way I've found to mitigate burnout is to remember that you do not have to put out everything all at once. yOu can backload content to release periodically and just work incrementally as you're able to. Bu tbeyond this you should spend some time doing something more or less unrelated to posting to figureout what really makes you enjoy posting in the first place. You do't need to be thinking about that idea ctively but it might be worth, for example, going on a trip somewhere new to appreciate the newness of the world in which you find yourself. You might and try to do something with a group of people you might not have done as many things with before, to see what new perspectives they can give you (without it being transactional of course). Try something new and something simple, ideally something that is both of those qualifiers. Don't post so frequently that you don't want to post. you love to post. you LOVE to post. but it's okay to pause on the things you love so that you can come back o them with a renewed passion and vigor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)