I’m An Idiot – A Dallas VGC Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to say right now, I’m sorry for saying so much. This is your warning, it’s a long warstory, just be happy I didn’t win more than I did or it might be twice this size. Oh, and sorry for the lack of pics, I am trying to broaden the imagination of everyone, so just picture everything in your head.

Friday- I had been working on my team for a while, but with the distractions of school (6 projects due), Pokemon Online which helped and distracted me at the same time, and other random stuff, my training came down to the wire. My little brothers birthday party was on Friday and we played laser tag, the whole time knowing that I needed to finish my team. The good news is that I won, the bad news is that I had to stay up until like 3:30 or 4 to finish my team. I had to fight the elite four over and over to get Mewtwo to level 100 for aura sphere, which I never even used in competition...

I designed my team with one thing in mind, countering common leads, but still being able to lead well. I spent a while finding out how to do this, and I still didn’t perfect it, but I will be ready by LCQ. Anyway here it is:

Honchkrow @ Razor Claw
Super Luck
Adamant
252 atk 252 hp 6 s def
Taunt
Brave Bird
Sucker Punch
Night Slash

This was my uber lead killer and my tr counter. Taunt would stop tr and sucker punch is a great stab priority in tr. Brave bird is great for ohkoing hitmontop, abomasnow, and hitting shininja. Now here is the fun part. With super luck and razor claw it has 33% crit ratio with sucker punch and 50% with night slash, making it able to almost ohko anything if it crits, which happened a lot.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Dry skin
Adamant
255 atk 255 speed too lazy to add four to something for this one
Fake out
Sucker punch
Earthquake
Low kick

This was made to counter kyogre leads as well as dialga leads. Dry skin heals the heath that life orb takes off almost and with low kick, it can ohko dialga. Earthquake is great because it goes through honchkrow and hits both foes. Sucker punch is great with him because when paired with a honchkrow sucker punch, it can ko most pokemon. It is also great at stopping exploders in their tracks.

Dialga @ chople berry
Pressure
Modest
252 s atk 252 speed 6 hp
Protect
Thunder
Flamethrower
Draco meteor

Basic dialga, deal damage until it dies. FT is there for shininjas and for abomasnows. Thunder handles kyogres nicely. Draco meteor can ohko even a hanab berry palkia.

Mewtwo @ choice specs
Pressure
Timid
252 s atk 252 speed 4 hp
Aura sphere
Flamethrower
Grass knot
Blizzard

I decided to run a specs mewtwo because it rapes. I had to predict well to avoid getting locked into a bad attack. That’s why FT was there, to use and lock into if the last pokemon is unkown for fear of shininja. Mewtwo was a beast and hit everything strong. Usually I send it out last to know what to lock into.

Day of- I woke up and was already exhausted from the night before. After I finally managed to get ready, my brother and I got in my car and headed to my girlfriends house to pick her up. If you saw a girl that looked scared, especially of the pikachu walking around, that was my girlfriend. She does not like pokemon, but wanted to be there to support me.

In line I finished getting the necessary items and gave some pokemon to my brother and my friend that I met up with to use. I finally got the chople berry that I needed and was ready. I saw several people that I recognized from smogon and tried to avoid them in line, though I must have looked inexperienced because omegadonut got right behind my group. After moving up a few places to avoid him I get sent to a table and was starting my first battle!

Round 1 vs Stephen/ Esteban (trainer name was esteban but name on paper was Stephen)

He started with lugia and ayrodactyl. Now I do not like flying leads becaue I cant hit both with eq, and my low kick is useless. After trying to decide between taunt, sucker punch, or night slash with honchkrow and eventually picking night slash on lugia and hoped for a crit, I realized that lugia was level 48 and arodactyl was lvl 44 or vise versa. I fake out aerodactyl and night slash lugia which does not crit and he aeroblasts toxicroak for the ko and lugia is in the red. Now I normally send out mewtwo last but I decided that because of blizzard, now was a good time. Honchkrow sucker punches aerodactyl, no crit, and mewtwo blizzards both for the ko. I do not remember the last two, but I think one was hitmonlee who sucker punches my mewtwo to death but is easily beaten by honchkrow. I 2-0 him and apologize that it had to end in the first round for him.

My friend looses this battle but my brother (with a team of my pokemon) advances.

Round 2

The person I battled was amazing and I am in his debt, read on to see.

He leads with scizor and mewtwo. I decided to avoid the possible blizzard, ice beam, or tbolt from mewtwo before I could attack him, so I sucker punch it and toxicroak fakes out scizor. Sucker punch leaves mewtwo in the red and it turns around to ice beam my honchkrow, good prediction. I send out dialga next to take care of scizor. Toxicroak sucker punches mewtwo and dialga FT scizor for the ko on both. With only life orb damage dealt to me. The next pokemon are Wobafett and ??? When deciding what to do, I accidentally hit the wrong attack with dialga. Hitting cancel to change attacks I accidentally hit run also! I had the game in the bag, and I ran. Well before it even shows that I ran I explain, and he offers a re-match. After numberous thanking him, we start over and he leads foretress instead of scizor. I do the same attacks, but this time sucker punch crits, koing mewtwo. He sends out wobafett and I double attack it and bring it down to red, but he counters and ko’s my honchkrow while foretress toxic spikes. I send out dialga and ft foretress and ko wobafett with toxicroak. The last pokemon is easy also, I think it was a palkia that I ohko with draco meteor. After again apologizing and thanking for the run situation, he says that it didn’t matter, I still would have won and he pokesav’d his pokemon anyway. 3-0

My brother lost in this round along with some cool people I met in line that we wanted to avoid battling. It was all me from my group now.

Round 3

My avoiding OmegaDonut without openly saying it now had to end. We got to the station and I got paired with him. After telling her that I knew him, then whispering who I was and asking him to play along, she let me battle someone else. She pointed at a guy in a Ducks shirt, Biff I think, and I said that I knew him also. I briefly talked to him earlier and said I was from smogon, so he played along.

My next opponent comes, we introduce, shake hands and whatnot and get ready to battle. He lead with a ludicolo and ??? and I had my usual leads. I fake out ludicolo to find out that it is somehow faster than my 252 ev and 31 iv speed toxicroak. The only way possible with out swift swim is by hacking… ??? did something that I cant remember but missed while honchkrow did night slash. Next turn ??? uses blizzard but misses on both my pokes while I proceed to ko it with toxicroak and brave bird ludicolo for the ko. The last two were just as easy, I 4-0 this guy, which makes me very happy.

Biff lost in this round but me and Omega advanced.

Round 4, the round where I cant seem to stop screwing up

I once again got paired with Omega, but we once again avoided battling each other. I get sent to a table and wait for my next opponent.

He leads with a smeargle and dialga. For some reason, I think that dialga is the real threat… I know how bad smeargles are, and I know that it is the only lead that I have trouble countering, but like the title says, I’m an idiot. Toxicroak low kicks dialga and honchkrow night slashes smeargle, but neither work because of dark void. If I had just fake out smeargle, I would have won. Dialga then proceeds to ko honchkrow with ice beam or t bolt? Idk. I send out diagla and immediately protect and low kick dialga with toxicroak hoping that it will wake up. It does not, but at least dialga targeted dialga and smeargle uses dark void so nothing happens. Next turn I use flamethrower on smeargle and find out that it was not scarfed! It sash kicks in and it dark voids dialga for the sleep. His dialga uses aura sphere on mine but the chople kicks in not even putting it in yellow. Toxicroak is still asleep. The next turn smearble endeavors on my toxicroak bringing it down to 1 hp while dialga ko’s my dialga with aura shpere. Toxicroak wakes up and ohko’s his dialga with low kick, but dies from life orb… gay orb. I send out mewtwo and he sends out mewtwo. I ko smeargle before it puts me to sleep and mewtwo does something but I think it misses. He then sends out blissy and I know that I am screwed because I am locked into flamethrower. I FT mewtwo and eventually ko it, but then die from a sesmic toss from blissy.

The whole time, I thought something was fishy about his team, but like the title suggests, I am an idiot. I walk the walk of shame after coming so close to the finalist area. I watch my opponent and eventually, after talking to the people at the desk, walks away. I did not see him for the rest of the day, even while the finalists were competing. I think he failed the hack check. I should have advanced, but since I did not call it when playing, it didn’t matter. If I am wrong, please let me know, I’m going by what I saw. Anyway, after being pissed about that I start to follow some of the smogoners battles and realize that Omega won and got in finalists followed shortly by Tyler. Alaka lost right after I did at the same side of the same station. It must be jinxed. I then got some food and waited for the finals matches and battled some random people, beating them all but one guy who got lucky when his palkia lived with 1 hp then got a double protect off to live through his team mates explosion. I lost to my brother also. Anyway, despite losing, I had a great time. I am hoping to go the LCQ, I just need to convince my parents.

Props
-AromaFlora for the dialga and mewtwo, couldn’t have done it without you!
-making it as far as I did in my first tourney.
-having a great time!
-meeting a lot of cool people
-watching my girlfriend be scared of the dancing pikachu
-seeing some great teams with some great battles
-second round opponent (forgot name, sorry), who gave me a second chance after I ran. You're amazing.

Slops
-losing to a hacked team
-not quite making it to finalists, though I did sit on a bean bag and battle Alaka for the third round of the double battle smogon wifi tourney.
-my girlfriend got hit on by a lot of random guys while I was battling, including some smogoners, but I will not say names out of respect.
-loosing to my brother after the tourney, though idk how. It was haxy.
-expensive food

Congrats to everyone who made it to Nats, and good luck to all those competing elsewhere!

If anyone got some tips to convince my parents to let me go to LCQ it would be great. I am thinking about pulling the “its my last chance to bond with my little brother before I leave for college” card. Any other ideas.

I hate how people are getting beaten by hackers in this event. You fought the good fight, Werecario. The hack checks are garbage. That hunk of junk machine you put your game in should scan for illegal IVs/EVs or something. lol at avoiding Omega Donut. I heard the line got held up because of Smogon players deliberately avoiding each other. At any rate, I'm glad you had a good time. I hope you can make it to the LCQ, because I think you have a good team.

-not quite making it to finalists, though I did sit on a bean bag and battle Alaka for the third round of the double battle smogon wifi tourney.
Hey, that's pretty cool actually. "Let's have our scheduled Wi-Fi match in real life." Awesome.

I lol'd at level 44 Lugia. Your round 2 opponent was a an angle. But you losing to haxx, I can relate too. Sorry, about that. You did state that you could of won, not blaming haxx all too much right? Happened to me as well.

Nonetheless, great job. And get to Indy, as I hope to meet up with people there.

Thanks for the support guys. And I'm working on LCQ.

You did state that you could of won, not blaming haxx all too much right?
Yeah, if i had fake out smeargle like a smart person, then it would have flinched and night slash would have ko'd it. It would have been pretty easy from there, being able to ohko diagle with low kick and sucker punch mewtwo for an easy ko. Blissy would have been difficult but not too bad. Anyway, yeah, what happened to you? Did you loose to a hacker?

Well, it was for54years that I had battle in Seattle VGC. He had a 514 EV on one of his Pokemon and he was the person standing in my way of Finalist Lounge. But, I do have to say I made poor predictions, and not having Fake Out on my Ludicolo. How, did I not see an Explode, Trick Room setup come in, I don't know, being nervous is a pain where it surely hurts. But, would assume I would of won that, if I switched to Metagross and Protected with Ludicolo, but I didn't. So, I later found out that he had hacks, but I did agree to the poor choices that I had made.

It still sucks that it was hacked. I really wish people would just have some respect and not hack, or if you do, forefit if you win. My second round opponent let my advance by giving me a second chance after run because he pokesav'd his team. That was respectful to me and the game. I need to add him to my props... Editing now.

I just wish, the staff there would hack check before the tournament... So, things like this didn't happen to people like us. People who actually put the effort to train so hard and everything, like you did with your Mewtwo. But, I can understand how they really don't care all to much about it. That or they don't have the time, which they seem to have... The Pokemon TCG is way more strict than this, and I don't think as much people play.

Well its my fault for not asking for a hack check when I was suspicious. The option is there, I just didn't think about using it. I was too upset that I missed finalists by a hair.

Funny as same thing happened to me, I did think something was up, but so upset by how the battle was going, and the loss, I had forgotten to call it... But there was also the thing which came into my mind that, what if he didn't use hacks? That would of made me look like such a sore loser... Which I didn't want.

Anyway, it was only +1 Stat more, which really didn't make all of a difference.

My next opponent comes, we introduce, shake hands and whatnot and get ready to battle. He lead with a ludicolo and ??? and I had my usual leads. I fake out ludicolo to find out that it is somehow faster than my 252 ev and 31 iv speed toxicroak. The only way possible with out swift swim is by hacking… ??? did something that I cant remember but missed while honchkrow did night slash. Next turn ??? uses blizzard but misses on both my pokes while I proceed to ko it with toxicroak and brave bird ludicolo for the ko. The last two were just as easy, I 4-0 this guy, which makes me very happy.
Yeah, that was me, and sorry, but I didn't hack. Maybe you should check your Toxicroak's speed. The Ludicolo I was using was Timid, 31 Seed IV, 252 Evs. If you want an actual number, it was 134 at level 50.

Yeah, that was me, and sorry, but I didn't hack. Maybe you should check your Toxicroak's speed. The Ludicolo I was using was Timid, 31 Seed IV, 252 Evs. If you want an actual number, it was 134 at level 50.
Adamant lvl 50 Toxicroak reaches 137 assuming 252 EVs and 31 IV

I will double check. Sorry for assuming hack, after I saw so many people with hacked games, I only assumed. You did very well and were unfortunate to miss with blizzard and hydropump. Though if blizzard hit it would ko honchkrow and hydro pump would have just healed my toxicroak. If you want, you can fill the holes in my stroy, I forgot a lot lol.

EDIT: Checked the ivs on my toxicroak. I used the wrong one that I bred I think lol. This one doesn't have great ivs and I have one sitting in my box at lvl 1, fresh out of the egg lol. That was my bad, but it wouldn't have changed the out come of the day.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Trust me. You're not the idiot. Props for doing so well. Too bad you ran into the real idiot.

Werecario,

The guy you lost to in Round 4 was definitely DQ'ed. I lost to him in Round 2 and Omega's friend lost to him in Round 3. You're not the only one who hesitated to accuse him of hacking.

He seemed very polite and commented about my ducks shirt. I'm not about to go off and accuse someone of hacking when I lose unless they're a jerk. His Dialga and Mewtwo hit very hard. VERY hard. I thought the Dialga was maybe specced. In the heat of battle it was hard for me to think clearly about it. Afterwards I realized it could not have been specced because it used two moves at one point. Too late to say something.

From what I understand the guy had no idea how EV's worked and hacked 510 EVs into a single stat (SpAtt, maybe Speed).

I'm from Kansas City and spent a lot of money to get down here. And for this to happen to me. I'm really not too pleased at the moment.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
sorry to hear about all the hacks guys. i would hate to be in a situation of calling in the staff because you look like such a DOUCHBAG if the person didnt hack. especially if it was a match being featured on one of the TV screens because then everyone gets to see how much of a DOUCHBAG you are hehe

anyways good Job men, you got further than i did on my first VGC/pokemon rocks america, i also rofl'ed on the "people hitting on my girlfriend" part hehe.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
sorry to hear about all the hacks guys. i would hate to be in a situation of calling in the staff because you look like such a DOUCHBAG if the person didnt hack. especially if it was a match being featured on one of the TV screens because then everyone gets to see how much of a DOUCHBAG you are hehe
At this point, that shit shouldn't matter. I am going to have every single one of my opponents hack checked in Atlanta on Saturday.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At this point, that shit shouldn't matter. I am going to have every single one of my opponents hack checked in Atlanta on Saturday.
make sure to call merriland over because i think he is the only one with a hack check DS before the finalists lounge. and if you can get like a picture of your opponents reactions do it because i think that would be sooooo funny

Sorry that he beat you in round 2. It must suck for you more because I am only 15 min away from the convention center and your in Kansas City, though because of my closeness to Dallas, I cant afford to go to Indianapolis atm, though I did get permission. It really sucks that that one guy took out three smogoners because of hacked pokemon. Seriously, all three of us should have made it to finalists. Smogon could have done so much better in Dallas if it wasn't for him.

Geez guys, I know how to check stats >_> That's why I said to check croak's speed.

And actually, you've got the turns a little mixed up. I used blizzard on the turn I faked out, so I wasn't in any danger of healing croak (and I didn't intend to, lol). I missed with hydro pump the turn you took out kyogre.

And that really sucks about you lost to. I'm sorry to hear about it. At least the guy didn't get any farther.

Somehow i lost in the first round after beating 7 random people before the tournament. My opponet Grrey used explosion TWICE to kill my groudon and zapdos and severly injure my metagross and to end it all, his zapdos and Rotom killed my metagross and kyogre with discharge. Suckish.

You lost to grey? I beat played him after the tournament. I beat him either 3-0 or 4-0. Like I said, my team counters most common team, especially explosion teams. I avenged you lol!

Aww, GG dude. Sucks to lose to a hacker, makes my loss look a lot better. I'm still on the fence for going to LCQ, but if I do then I better be seeing you there. :)

As much as I would like to go, it is just too expensive. My total comes out to be about $600 and thats if I drive, more for flying. I am having trouble justifying spending that much to have a chance to qualify. I would love to hang out with all the smogoners though. I am also expecting $1000 from my graddad for graduation so I am able to afford it, I just need a big reason. Also if I can find someone to carpool or possibly room with, cutting the cost can help justify. I doubt my parents will let me drive or room with someone I met on the internet though, so the chances of that look slim since I am the only competitive battler I personally know besides my friend I talked into coming and lost in the first round. We will see. If I can convince my parents to let me carpool with someone on here, then I will let people know.

Actually, I have that same problem right now. I offered to pay my own way there, even as a poor highschool student. The problem is that my whole family would want to go, and my dad can't get the days off of work to come (and he has to. He works for Air Canada and that more than halves the flight and hotel costs).

Theoretically I could get there and back with hotel included for about $400, but I just don't know if that's possible right now.

The only reason I can't go with someone is my mother. My dad doesn't care, but mum... and I also live in Canada, so no driving. Chinese_dood was having trouble with costs as well, and won't be going. ):

I basically won't know if I'm going until the day before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)