SS OU Hyper Trick Room

So, as a little introduction I’ve been a big fan of trick room since diamond and pearl. Although it can cost a little momentum to set up, there’s nothing better than seeing a hyper-offensive team have to rely on its paper thin defenses. I’ve had great success with this team so far, but Would love to take it up to the next level

Team Building & Sets
CA911424-BB58-416A-8DD3-B48E8CE9D2C9.jpeg
Copperajah @ Life Orb
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Heat Crash
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
One of my favorite new Pokémon, and seemingly made for Trick Room, I knew I had to build my team around Copperajah. Heavy slam and heat crash hit incredibly hard due to heavy metal and have excellent coverage together, power whip hits any ground and water type checks that come in. Earthquake is almost solely for Toxapex, but it’s one of the few answers for the mon I have so I don’t mind sacrificing the slot. Under trick room very few Pokemon outspeed it and it makes an great primary sweeper.
8D793F78-813A-45FE-B77D-2BC4A5455F17.jpeg

Runerigus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Wandering Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Memento
This is my dedicated lead, and the Pokemon I was most surprised by. This set was originally made to be a suicide lead but more often than not forces switches, allowing me to set up stealth rock and trick room multiple times if neccisary, and save memento for a boosted sweeper. I’ve yet to come across a lead that’s been able to shut it down before it gets its job done, though dracovish and kyurem would both be a hard counter. Mental herb is there to protect from taunts, and let’s it shut down grimmsnarl for more setup opportunities. EV’s allow it to survive 2 EQ from jolly excadrill.
F3D534AE-C41D-49AA-98FC-47AABC0650BF.jpeg

Hatterene (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
My secondary trick room setter, Hatterene is devastating when not held back by her low speed. She’s a little physically frail, so I try to only bring her in on hydregion or defensive Pokemon. Magic bounce is my only method of hazard control, and is appreciated. Hatterene is usually saved for the late game after most checks have been taken care of, cleaning up and blowing even more holes in the opposing team. Mystical fire takes out steel types and MOST Corviknight.(See weaknesses)
5238D3BE-F6DD-456D-8267-5C1186CF1C3C.png

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake
A veteran of my trick room teams, Conkeldurr is a supreme wall breaker, and inside of trick room is one of the hardest Pokémon to put down out there. Between semi-reliable healing in drain punch, and the nuke that is guts boosted facade very little threatens this set. Earthquake is for toxapex, which can stall out the set otherwise. Thunder punch covers Gyarados, an otherwise uncontested threat for the team.
37229DF4-E868-47D1-A873-4F751EE24041.png

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
Another powerful Pokémon, crawdaunt is the mandatory water type of the team and more than carry’s his own weight. Between adaptability and a choice band knock off becomes an incredibly powerful utility move, crippling any Pokémon it doesn’t KO. Close combat helps with the ever present dark type, while crabhammer is another easily spammable stabs that you can almost just click and forget. Aqua jet is the much needed priority, allowing crawdaunt to clean up both inside and outside of trick room.
2EC6DD6B-E435-4E19-A88D-0F2B596D1698.png

Chandelure @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
Rounding out the team is chandelier, my back up trick room setter and all around beast. Flash fire and air balloon give it a total of four immunities, allowing ample opportunities to switch in. Energy ball gives it an answer to bulky water types. Fire blast hits incredibly hard, and give it the only real answer to Corviknight

Weaknesses
Hydregion- outside of trick room a nasty plot variant would run right through the team. It could do it once Hatterene is down as well even with trick room ip

Corviknight- Mirror Armor! Mystical fire from Hatterene becomes the enemy.

Gyarados- moxie

Attachments

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heyyos! Nice trick room team you've got there! Trick room was super fun to use back when Dynamax was still around since you could just trick room -> dynamax -> end games. Now, trick room teams are a lot less brain dead then before but it is still a very fun archetype when successfully pulled off. Considering that your team seems to be trick room but based around Copperajah, I only have a few small suggestions for you to improve team.

>>>

Firstly, I firmly believe that trick room teams must have at least 1 or more forms of speed control that can act as a back up on the off chance trick room doesn't get to go up. This is important because we need to ensure that we have a back up plan in case anything goes awry. So for this to work I suggest changing Chandelure to Zeraora. This change may seem crazy because you are running the fastest mon in the unboosted metagame in the team that is naturally supposed to be slow but this is important because this change will alleviate your issues with Hydrei, Corv, Tox (can easily pressure with plasma fist) and Dos. I still firmly believe that LO Zera is the better zera set and this change will allow you to shred past your opposing team with ease.
252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 205-244 (67.4 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
This does leave you a bit more open to ground spam but to be fair, with sufficient priority and controlled playing around your mons, you should be able to break past them even before they can reach the stage of spamming EQ.

Using Thunder Punch on your Conkeldurr isn't as good as it only alleviates your problem with Gyarados. Furthermore, you are sacrificing the all important priority on trick room teams. This is very important because Trick Room teams by nature are super slow so you'll need priority to help ensure that there is some form of speed control. Thus, I think you should run Mach Punch since your team has Crawdaunt and Copperajah, you can toggle between these two to deal with Aegi. This way, with double priority + speed control in the form of Zera, your team doesn't have to fear that much from offensive teams that are naturally faster than you and Conk + Hat can easily shred through balance teams.

Lastly, I think that if you are okay with potentially swapping out another mon on your team and playing a bit more aggressively you can consider the changes im about to quote in the spoiler
>>>

What I feel will bring about additional stability to the team is to run Mimikyu over Runerigus. This is because it is a more stable way to play trick room aggressively and allows you to break down opposing teams to allow for your Copperajah to sweep. Mimikyu is also vital here because you can run Shadow Sneak which is extremely important to have on Mimikyu. Furthermore, you need a soft check to Dracovish, considering that your team just flat out loses to Vish so having Mimikyu + Conk priority is good to deal with Vish. This does mean that you will need to run Stealth Rock on your Copperajah in order to retain hazards on your team but I think running it over EQ shouldn't be that big an issue.
Alright, hope you enjoy my changes that I suggested. I'm a huge Trick Room fan and I hoping you enjoy trick room as much as I do!
Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Plasma Fists
- Grass Knot

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Heyyos! Nice trick room team you've got there! Trick room was super fun to use back when Dynamax was still around since you could just trick room -> dynamax -> end games. Now, trick room teams are a lot less brain dead then before but it is still a very fun archetype when successfully pulled off. Considering that your team seems to be trick room but based around Copperajah, I only have a few small suggestions for you to improve team.

Firstly, I firmly believe that trick room teams must have at least 1 or more forms of speed control that can act as a back up on the off chance trick room doesn't get to go up. This is important because we need to ensure that we have a back up plan in case anything goes awry. So for this to work I suggest changing Chandelure to Zeraora. This change may seem crazy because you are running the fastest mon in the unboosted metagame in the team that is naturally supposed to be slow but this is important because this change will alleviate your issues with Hydrei, Corv, Tox (can easily pressure with plasma fist) and Dos. I still firmly believe that LO Zera is the better zera set and this change will allow you to shred past your opposing team with ease.This does leave you a bit more open to ground spam but to be fair, with sufficient priority and controlled playing around your mons, you should be able to break past them even before they can reach the stage of spamming EQ.

Using Thunder Punch on your Conkeldurr isn't as good as it only alleviates your problem with Gyarados. Furthermore, you are sacrificing the all important priority on trick room teams. This is very important because Trick Room teams by nature are super slow so you'll need priority to help ensure that there is some form of speed control. Thus, I think you should run Mach Punch since your team has Crawdaunt and Copperajah, you can toggle between these two to deal with Aegi. This way, with double priority + speed control in the form of Zera, your team doesn't have to fear that much from offensive teams that are naturally faster than you and Conk + Hat can easily shred through balance teams.

Lastly, I think that if you are okay with potentially swapping out another mon on your team and playing a bit more aggressively you can consider the changes im about to quote in the spoiler
What I feel will bring about additional stability to the team is to run Mimikyu over Runerigus. This is because it is a more stable way to play trick room aggressively and allows you to break down opposing teams to allow for your Copperajah to sweep. Mimikyu is also vital here because you can run Shadow Sneak which is extremely important to have on Mimikyu. Furthermore, you need a soft check to Dracovish, considering that your team just flat out loses to Vish so having Mimikyu + Conk priority is good to deal with Vish. This does mean that you will need to run Stealth Rock on your Copperajah in order to retain hazards on your team but I think running it over EQ shouldn't be that big an issue.
Alright, hope you enjoy my changes that I suggested. I'm a huge Trick Room fan and I hoping you enjoy trick room as much as I do!
Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 184 Atk / 72 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Plasma Fists
- Grass Knot

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
Another mention of speed control he can use is Scarf Ditto... Since it can deal with any set up threats should it be unsafe to set up trick room (such as against a DD sweeper or if Mimikyu is the only surviving setter and is missing it's disguise)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)