How long have you been playing Pokemon?

How long have you been playing Pokemon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm doing a project for my statistics class, and decided to do it on Pokemon since the professor said he wanted unique topics. The requirements of this project say I need 40 or more responses, so please respond :) I checked with Synre and he OKed me posting this, btw, mods! Thanks everybody!

For extra helpfulness, please reply and list which/how many official Nintendo tournaments you have attended so I can add more complexity to the project. If you don't respond, I'll assume 0.

Since everybody is likely to fall between two answers, just round to whichever answer is more accurate.

Edit: Left it up for a week, locking it now. Thanks for the assistance people!

I have played for 1 year and 2 monthes I think. I hope your project goes well!

edit: If you can you may want to make the poll like "1-2 years" or "3-4 years" or "<1 year". Just an idea since I fall between option 1 and 2 and i suspect most people will too.

edit: Ive actually played 9 years, but only competitive for about a year. didnt read right lol

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh, no. I misread the title in being how long have your read Pokemon, not how long have you played Pokemon competitively, and submitted the vote wrong. I've been playing (non-competitively) for 5 years, and competitively for about 2 years.

I started playing, competitively, earlier this year, but have been playing the cartridge games my whole life (well when RBY was released in NA).

EDIT: And just realized that I misread the question (thought it asked how long I played competitively) so I guess you should change one result from "One year or less" to "Twelve or more years" (I think that's how long the games have been out).

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
Aerrow: I actually edited the title about a minute after I posted, I'll keep your correction in mind though.

Undisputed: I can't change the responses after I posted them, I think. Just round up or down, I guess. If you've been playing for 22 months, 2 years is more accurate than 1. Likewise, 13 months is closer to 1 year than 2. I'll update the original post to mention that. Thanks~

Von: Red/Blue came out in 1998 in the US. They first came out in 1996 in Japan, however. I worded the last option so it could include the possibility of someone having played the Japanese versions.

Danman: Yeah, sorry about that, I realized about 2 minutes after posting that it was a lot easier for me to do it with playing overall than playing competitively. Didn't expect as many people to vote as quickly as they did. I'll make note of that as well when I compile this for my project.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been playing since RBY came out, and owned all the games at one point or another, but I've never entered any tournaments. I played competitively on IRC for a while in the GSC days, and I dabbled a bit in RSE before I hung it up.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
From the US release in '98 for me.

Played in some of the tourneys during RBY days as well.

I'd say about 8 years (had multiple on and off relationships with the game, but even then I've been playing since first gen).

TTS

Articulate Potty Lid
Yeah, I figured that'd be the case, Zangetsu -- I'm polling a competitive Pokémon site, I'd get a different trend if I polled people at a regional or nats probably.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have been playing since I was 5, back in about 03 I think. I have attended two tournaments, 2010 Dallas and 2010 Nats. Good luck on your paper. :3

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Played for 11 years, attended 3 tournaments! (although only played in 2 of the 3 that I attended)

Go for the A+, Danny...

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I also read the topic earlier and just now voted, completely missing the topic change. I've been playing since release, so I actually meant to vote "twelve or more years" instead of the four I have played competitively.

Ok so the question is how long you have played Pokemon in general right? I answered 12 years assuming that was the question, but it would change to 8 if the question was how long have you been playing competitively. I have attended 2 official Nintendo tournaments (played in only one due to the lamesauce lottery).

Oh, the two tournies I have attended are Nashville 09 and Nationals 10.

I didn't get a Gameboy until Silver came out in 2000, but I've been playing every game since then... so that makes it 10 years I guess. I've never participated in an official tournament before.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
10 years here as it was when it started to get all cool in mexico

havent attended any official tournaments, dont plan to as well.

My first game was Red, but I don't think I had it right when it came out. In the UK, that probably means I got it mid or late 1999 - in fact probably Christmas 1999.

And...I ticked 10 years because I fail at maths :-( Then again, maybe it was in 2000...I really don't remember. I know it would have been either February (birthday) or Christmas, and I know it was before the release of Gold and Silver (in April 2001).

Of course I haven't been playing continuously. I fell away from it in the early noughties, then got back into it in 2007.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
God. I never actually thought about this, and it feels hard to believe that it would actually be 12 years. That's more than 2/3 of my life. And I have never been to a tournament, and don't plan to. Not a real life one, anyways.

Small nostalgia hit right here.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
11 years, 4 months ago is when I got my first Pokemon game so I voted 11 years. Then again, I stopped playing between around 2001 and 2007 as well.

I've attended one official Pokemon tournament (Seattle VGC Regional in 2010).

I've been playing since Blue came out in the U.S., but only started with competitive in 2007 with Diamond/Pearl. Haven't attended any tournaments just yet, though. Maybe next year, now that I know a bout about em'.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Got the games on R/B launch day and have been playing competitvely for 10 years.

And I've attended ummm... 9 official tournaments.

andrea

/me cresselias
I've played since Pokemon came out and I went to my first tournament at Nationals this past summer. ^_^ Good luck with your project, TTS!

And I'm very excited for you to come visit Pitt. =3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)