Holy Crap, is that a Magneton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, and welcome to what I hope becomes the smogon Pokedex entry for Magneton; right now, I guess it would be a Never Used pokemon, but I think it could work aswell, if not better then magnezone in OU, or maybe make it's mark in UU; this is also being posted so when I decide to upgrade my wifi pokedex with links to the smogon pokedex, I can add this link to the Pokedex; anyways, you are all free to judge my idea in this thread, and I did my best to put it into the smogon pokedex format. Enjoy.
Magneton
HP 50 === 241 304 ===
ATK 60 125 156 188 219
DEF 95 195 226 258 289
SpA 120 245 276 308 339
SpD 70 145 176 208 239
Spe 70 145 176 208 239

name: Oh, No! A Bunch of Magnemite!
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power [Fire]
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Magnet Rise
item: Life Orb
ability: Magnet Pull
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 220 Speed / 38 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Much like the Steel Killer set of Magnezone, Substitute and Magnet Rise are needed to reliably counter Bronzong. Magnet Rise will protect you from Earthquake, while Substitute will block Hypnosis and the threat of a last-ditch Explosion.

A great bonus to Magenton is that it can now counter something that is always trying to counter its evolution; Empoleon. It would seem that almost all Empoleon these days are +speed nature, with Hidden Power Ground, to destroy Magenzone. Well, with Magneton, not only do you outspeed Timid Empoleon but you do 383 min, 417 avg and max of 449 damage with Thunderbolt + Life Orb, OHKOing even 252 HP / 0 Sp Defense Empoleon, as well as doing 349-381-410 to 252 HP Calm Empoleon, OHKOing it on average.

Hidden Power Fire is there to OHKO the likes of Scizor (who is out sped by Magneton, even with 252 Speed and Jolly Nature [251 Speed Vs 254 Speed]) as well as other steel type Pokemon, like Steelix and Metagross, if you can get in on them. Hidden Power Ice is there for Dragons, as well as being the other half of Boltbeam for one of the best type coverages in the game.

Also, Anti pointed out that I only need 220 Speed to hit 254 Speed to outspeed Modest Heatran; so I changed the spred; thanks anti! ^_^

[SET]
name: Faster than a speeding magnezone!
move 2: Hidden Power [Ice]
move 3: Flash Cannon / Tri-Attack
move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naive
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 6 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Evil Hamster pointed out how with Choice Scarf, Magneton hits 393 speed instead of 360 with Magnezone, which lets you outspeed more pokemon, so this spread has all attack moves. Since Magneton has low defenses and speed is the only thing going for it, a Naive nature is reccomended. This also gives more damage to Explosion as well.

I sopose Magneton could also run all the other magnezone sets, but not as well as magnezone, so, here it stands, my idea. Let me know what you all think and thanks for reading. Go. ^_^

Lol, people looked but didn't post; so I don't know what to think; should magneton be added to the smogon pokedex and the overall metagame? If so, wich metagame? OU or UU? No one thinks this shouldn't be a NU pokemon?

Malfunction

nice desu ne
I don't really know. Magnezone outpowers everything magneton has except for speed. Magnezone is capable of doing things more than magneton. I don't know if this qualify it to UU, but not to OU.
That's just my opinion!

I don't really know. Magnezone outpowers everything magneton has except for speed. Magnezone is capable of doing things more than magneton. I don't know if this qualify it to UU, but not to OU.
That's just my opinion!
Yeah, it does have better overall base stats, but with that extra 10 base speed, it outspeeds alot more pokemon then magnezone; and since it's OHKO or be KO'd with either of them, I think Magneton could be used...thanks for posting though; I wonder if everyone else feels the same :S

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just run a Timid, 252-speed Magnezone. Beats Adamant Metagross by one point, and most Empoleons stop short of a full 240.

I just run a Timid, 252-speed Magnezone. Beats Adamant Metagross by one point, and most Empoleons stop short of a full 240.
Well it still counters Scizor alot better and as for empoleon, why would you run timid and not 252 speed?? I guess it was a bad idea; I mostly just hate how stupid magnezone looks...although that 10 base speed really makes a difference...imo...

If I was going to consider using Magneton, I'd probably use it over Magnezone for the Choice Scarf set only. The jump from 360 to 393 is pretty significant, though his much lower defenses make actually coming in on anything a lot harder.

If I was going to consider using Magneton, I'd probably use it over Magnezone for the Choice Scarf set only. The jump from 360 to 393 is pretty significant, though his much lower defenses make actually coming in on anything a lot harder.
Hmm, a good point, I think I'll add a choice skarf set aswell, thanks for posting ^_^

You'll want to format this.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45315
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45326

Those are good examples.

EDIT: I.e.,

name: Oh, No! A Bunch of Magnemite!
move 2: Hidden Power [Fire]
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Magnet Rise
item: Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Speed / 6 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Much like the Steel Killer set of Magnezone, Substitute and Magnet Rise are needed to reliably counter Bronzong. Magnet Rise will protect you from Earthquake, while Substitute will block Hypnosis and the threat of a last-ditch Explosion.

A great bonus to Magenton is that it can now counter something that is always trying to counter its evolution; Empoleon. It would seem that almost all Empoleon these days are +speed nature, with Hidden Power Ground, to destroy Magenzone. Well, with Magneton, not only do you outspeed Timid Empoleon but you do 383 min, 417 avg and max of 449 damage with Thunderbolt + Life Orb, OHKOing even 252 HP / 0 Sp Defense Empoleon, as well as doing 349-381-410 to 252 HP Calm Empoleon, OHKOing it on average.

Hidden Power Fire is there to OHKO the likes of Scizor (who is out sped by Magneton, even with 252 Speed and Jolly Nature [251 Speed Vs 262 Speed]) as well as other steel type Pokemon, like Steelix and Metagross, if you can get in on them. Hidden Power Ice is there for Dragons, as well as being the other half of Boltbeam for one of the best type coverages in the game.

[SET]
name: Faster than a speeding magnezone!
move 2: Hidden Power [Ice]
move 3: Flash Cannon / Tri-Attack
move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Hasty/Naive
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 6 HP

[SET COMMENTS]
Evil Hamster pointed out how with Choice Scarf, Magneton hits 393 speed instead of 360 with Magnezone, which lets you outspeed more pokemon, so this spread has all attack moves. Since Magneton has low defenses and speed is the only thing going for it, a Naive/Hasty nature is reccomended. This also gives more damage to Explosion as well.

Sorry that I don't have much to add in terms of input, but, shouldn't this be posted in the "Post Creative Movesets/Spreads" thread or in the Analysis Workshop section?

Sorry that I don't have much to add in terms of input, but, shouldn't this be posted in the "Post Creative Movesets/Spreads" thread or in the Analysis Workshop section?
I'm not sure tbh, but if it should have been, then a Mod can close this, although the poster before you just linked me to two threads just like this one, so I think it's ok....T_T

*shrug* it's not much of a change, but I did it.

Ok, I updated it...>_>
It's the format they use for the website.
Update the other one with my edits! ^^

Oh, yeah, if there's one for Magneton already in the Analysis Workshop, you should go there first.

It's the format they use for the website.
Update the other one with my edits! ^^

Oh, yeah, if there's one for Magneton already in the Analysis Workshop, you should go there first.
T_T I updated...So lets see, I posted my idea, everyone hated it, pointed out how it's in the wrong place and how it wasn't the right format; overall no one even gave a shit; was what I had before totally un-readable? Because I copied the format from the pokedex on the front page of smogon....fuck it...no one even cares about it anyways... :'(

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NFE's will be allowed in UU, this topic pretty much confirms it.

I would advise you to work on it a bit more (add all the needed sections, get one set for OU and the rest for UU) then ask for it to be moved to Analysis Workshop.

There is a good chance some mod will lock this before you have time to work on it, if that happens it would probably be a good idea to finish the analysis off then ask for permission to post it in Analysis workshop.

NFE's will be allowed in UU, this topic pretty much confirms it.

I would advise you to work on it a bit more (add all the needed sections, get one set for OU and the rest for UU) then ask for it to be moved to Analysis Workshop.

There is a good chance some mod will lock this before you have time to work on it, if that happens it would probably be a good idea to finish the analysis off then ask for permission to post it in Analysis workshop.
Thanks for the info, I just updated it with some of anti's thoughts on it; I also tried to get it moved, but I guess I need a stark mod, wich I don't happen to have on my msn, so looks like I'll just have to wait for one. Sorry for this being in the wrong spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)