HO hazards

I've built a HO team centered around getting hazards up and then sweeping with wallbreakers like shadow ball gholdengo and then cleaning up anything with Iron moth with its good coverage. Appreciate any advice as I have been losing to some stall teams w/ Dondozo, pex etc.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Spikes
- Dragon Tail
My lead and main hazard setter. Dragon tail is to dissuade setup sweepers but the main goal is to setup as many hazards as possible.

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
My main late game sweeper. Tera fairy helps against kingambit late game. Energy ball for water types and psychic for clodsire and other poison types.

Great Tusk @ Leftovers
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
Great tusk is a defensive pivot against mainly kingambit and the odd revraroom. Good bulk and ofc knock off and rapid spin. I might consider putting boots on it but idk.

Dragapult @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Substitute
Dragpult is my setup sweeper with its neutral coverage with both of its stabs. The sub walls garganacl and amoonguss spore as well as other status. It does get walled by kingambit tho. :kingambit:

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
Gholdengo is my main wallbreaker and one of my teams only counters to fairy types like grimmsnarl and hatterene.Shadow ball spam is real.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
Rotom is my other defensive pivot. Decent into fairy types and can also burn physical setup sweepers.

I'm a new player so I would appreciate any advice on this team and team-building in general.

hello miguel345 this team is nice and I would rate it but you need to wright 3 lines for each Pokémon (not my rules)
you can read the rules here https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rmt-rules-and-forum-guidelines.3647102/
also if you Don’t won’t to wright 3 line for each Pokémon but want to get it rated contact a team rater like AndViet
they will be happy to help also you can only post an rtm once every 2 weeks to avoid spam and a flooded notification bello for people who follow rate my team

edit: I reread this and go i Should have drunk my coffee before righting this.

Welcome! Glad that you're with us. Try the Kool-Aid. come on in and sit on down. Welcome. Happy to have you.

So to start, when making posts like this I would add a little more on the description front. I don't think the mods are going to say anything BUT you will get a lot more attention with a well-made and well-thought-out post. Put some love into it. If you need a visual, I have made a couple posts that I think are nicely formatted but plenty of others have as well.

Right off the bat, when you make a new team I would suggest running it through Marriland Team Builder to check for any team weaknesses because, oh boy do you have a lot... (https://marriland.com/tools/team-builder/en/)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's see... Currently, we do not like fairy, ghost, or ice. Let's remedy that. Try these on for size...

:garchomp: --> :meowscarada: (suicide lead)
Introducing one of the best HO leads in the meta atm. Suicide meow's goal is to set up some spikes and KO whatever wants to step with leaf storm. You have rocks on Tusk which I would suggest keeping, and meow (IMO) does a better job as a hazard-setting lead than Garchomp.

Meowscarada @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm

Taunt also helps with mons that will want to set up, knock-off is for item removal harassment, and leaf storm is for that KO power on Tusk and the odd dozo/ rotom lead.

:dragapult: --> :kingambit:
As it stands, Kingambit does everything your Pult does but better. Plus, IMO, Gambit acts better as a mid to late-game sweeper AND helps cover some of your resistances. Not to mention priority STAB sucker punch will put in so much more work than predictable phantom force.

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Tera Type: Flying
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everything else I have to suggest are minor tweaks to the team to help overall.

:Iron moth:
If you're running HO, I would suggest swapping over booster energy for choice specs. Let me explain...

You have speed control in Gholdengo which is great, but in order to really tackle some of your threats, choice specs are the way to go. Plus, this will allow you to swap in moth more often without having to worry about losing your booster energy, and instead, all you have to worry about it what KO moves to click. With that in mind, I would also swap your tera type to Grass for boosted energy ball and change your EV spread to 252SpA/ 252Spe for MAXIMUM DAMAGE.

:great tusk:
Did I say keep rocks on tusk? I might change my mind in this post. So, you wanna run HO, eh? There is no better HO mon IMO than 252Atk/ 252Spe Tusk. Not only can you get a +1 to speed with rapid spin which is BUSTED, you do massive damage on top of that.

The Tusk (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Steel
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off/ stealth rocks

The rocks can be used on this set if you want them on the field (which is sounds like you do), and leftovers can easily be changed for boost. But since you have moth to absorb tspikes, leftovers might give you more use in the long run. Also, the tera type is really up to you.

:gholdengo:
I don't understand the tera fighting. It seems to me like tera flying would be better but I could be wrong.

Other than that the team looks good. Honestly, a really good job for being new. If you have any questions feel free to let me know. And if this post looks off, that's my B. I am tired, sore, and trying to relax :)
And remember to drink water and birds aren't real :mad:

EDIT: Sorry mods if you're going to lock this post, I've already given this lad gholden knowledge from the spoon of wisdom :heart:

Last edited:
Welcome! Glad that you're with us. Try the Kool-Aid. come on in and sit on down. Welcome. Happy to have you.

So to start, when making posts like this I would add a little more on the description front. I don't think the mods are going to say anything BUT you will get a lot more attention with a well-made and well-thought-out post. Put some love into it. If you need a visual, I have made a couple posts that I think are nicely formatted but plenty of others have as well.

Right off the bat, when you make a new team I would suggest running it through Marriland Team Builder to check for any team weaknesses because, oh boy do you have a lot... (https://marriland.com/tools/team-builder/en/)

Let's see... Currently, we do not like fairy, ghost, or ice. Let's remedy that. Try these on for size...

:garchomp: --> :meowscarada: (suicide lead)

Introducing one of the best HO leads in the meta atm. Suicide meow's goal is to set up some spikes and KO whatever wants to step with leaf storm. You have rocks on Tusk which I would suggest keeping, and meow (IMO) does a better job as a hazard-setting lead than Garchomp.

Meowscarada @ Focus Sash
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm

Taunt also helps with mons that will want to set up, knock-off is for item removal harassment, and leaf storm is for that KO power on Tusk and the odd dozo/ rotom lead.

:dragapult: --> :kingambit:

As it stands, Kingambit does everything your Pult does but better. Plus, IMO, Gambit acts better as a mid to late-game sweeper AND helps cover some of your resistances. Not to mention priority STAB sucker punch will put in so much more work than predictable phantom force.

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Tera Type: Flying
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Everything else I have to suggest are minor tweaks to the team to help overall.

:Iron moth:
If you're running HO, I would suggest swapping over booster energy for choice specs. Let me explain...

You have speed control in Gholdengo which is great, but in order to really tackle some of your threats, choice specs are the way to go. Plus, this will allow you to swap in moth more often without having to worry about losing your booster energy, and instead, all you have to worry about it what KO moves to click. With that in mind, I would also swap your tera type to Grass for boosted energy ball and change your EV spread to 252SpA/ 252Spe for MAXIMUM DAMAGE.

:great tusk:

Did I say keep rocks on tusk? I might change my mind in this post. So, you wanna run HO, eh? There is no better HO mon IMO than 252Atk/ 252Spe Tusk. Not only can you get a +1 to speed with rapid spin which is BUSTED, you do massive damage on top of that.

The Tusk (Great Tusk) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Steel
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off/ stealth rocks

The rocks can be used on this set if you want them on the field (which is sounds like you do), and leftovers can easily be changed for boost. But since you have moth to absorb tspikes, leftovers might give you more use in the long run. Also, the tera type is really up to you.

:gholdengo:

I don't understand the tera fighting. It seems to me like tera flying would be better but I could be wrong.

Other than that the team looks good. Honestly, a really good job for being new. If you have any questions feel free to let me know.
And remember to drink water and birds aren't real :mad:

EDIT: Sorry mods if you're going to lock this post, I've already given this lad gholden knowledge from the spoon of wisdom :heart:
Dude how do You wright so fast also I agree this team really needs a grass type to deal with waters so Volc can sweep

Dude how do You wright so fast also I agree this team really need a grass type to deal with waters so Volc can sweep
I type a lot and have gotten really good at it. It's not that my job is strictly typing (I am a scientist, quite literally) but, idk man, brain go brr and fingers try to keep up. What really slows me down is that I try to have A+ grammar and punctuation. Just imagine how fast I could type if I didn't care about it... ':)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)