Hidden OU (Final reveal pg. 17)

EV

Banned deucer.
HIDDEN OU
Or
The Leaks Seen 'Round the World

Play it at Joim's Lab

(needs more code)

What if Game Freak changed the hidden abilities each generation? Everything would change; Pokemon would serve new roles, some for the better, others for worse. Hidden OU does just that: All Pokemon receive a new hidden ability, and Pokemon that didn't normally have one receive one, too. On top of that, the mega evolutions also receive new abilities to give them the chance to find new roles.

Banlist:
  • Mega stones
    • Slowbronite
  • Garchomp
Unbanlist:
  • Mega stones
    • Gengarite
    • Kangaskhanite
    • Lucarionite
    • Mawilite
    • Salamenceite
  • Aegislash
  • Blaziken
  • Greninja
**RULES**
  • Hidden Abilities change each new generation. That means they won't rollover, so Contrary Serperior is dead on arrival.
  • Pokemon that previously only had 1 ability and 0 HAs now have a HA assigned to them. So Mew gains Protean and keeps Synchronize because Synchronize was already a regular ability.
  • Mega Pokemon also get their ability replaced with a new one. Mega Alakazam loses Trace and gains Pure Power.
    • Pokemon that can mega evolve receive new attacks to take advantage of their new abilities.
  • Primals are unaffected. So is Arceus.
  • Spreadsheet for complete list of changes.
  • No discussing the validity of the "leaks." The facade has long faded.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is pretty amazing if it's true. They'll be shaking the game up each gen will cause some fun things, both for OMs and standard tiers.
I hope we know some soon! I assume that the "leak" is easy to translate though..

Reactions: EV

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
I'm still a bit suspicious due to the style of the leak page, but this seems pretty interesting if it were true.

Anyone here good at translating strange text into English?

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Eevee General , I can't find one this quickly. But you know Picture Translators exist. They're mostly for phones, but you can take a picture of the leak if you want. I hope this helps as I'm really itching to know what these abilities are to be able to test and theorymon about them.

This sounds pretty amazing! It might allow some Pokemon who weren't happy with their Hidden Abilities to get a second shot at it.

One ability I'd love to see with a wider distribution would be Technician. It is not as broken as Adaptability as it only boosts weaker moves to a more standard power, and some Pokemon would love this (looking at you Weavile, Infernape. Heck, even Ledian, although offensive ledian can do little with his 35 base attack ;_; but they already gave him Iron Fist, so why not?).

Snaquaza

KACAW
Well Eevee General said it'd be good to speculate on the abilities. As Game Freak is usually flavorwise but goes to the competitive side at times, these are some predictions:

Mr Mime: I think this can go two ways. Either it gets an ability like Magic Bounce, as basically summons Magic Coat all the time, which does the same as Magic Bounce. That set, while it fits with his movement, it doesn't really fit with its other design. Also Umbreon has an arrow to it so that would mean Synchronize. Again an ability that'd kinda fit due to its psychic powers, but not specifically. Kinda useless though.
Another way it could go down is like Telepathy, a pretty useless ability that seems to fit designwise. I don't know why, it does with a lot of Psychic types. It could get some new ability that would show its ability to make invisible walls really well.

Ivysaur, Squirtle and Charizard
I guess these could get the abilities of the Pokemon listed at them. Ivysaur could get Effect Spore and Dry Skin. They are decent flavorwise as it has a huge bulb and is basically a huge leaf, but not amazing as Ivysaur doesn't specifically spread spores or has a stench (I know it gets the spore moves, but it's not known for it). Dry Skin would be strange as it's known for being boosted in the sun... This is excluding their own hidden abilities as they'll probably be changed too. That said they might shift so idk
Squirtle could get Rough Skin and... Speed Boost. Speed Boost would obviously be great, but as I said last time, I don't believe they want to transfer HA, so it's probably not that. I guess Rough Skin could fit, but it's not really known for it and all it has is a rough shell. I don't know about this one tbh.
Charizard could get Intimidate and Shed Skin. Intimidate would work flavorwise as its huge and threatening and great competitively as it can use it pre-Mega evolution, which is great. I hope it becomes this. Shed Skin could work as it's a lizard but it doesn't really look like it can shed its skin, so I don't think that'll be the ability.

Espeon could get Wonder Skin as Venonat and Venomoth are close to it. It'd have to follow the shifting mechanic but to be honest.. Compoundeyes and Tinted Lens don't fit, though Tinted Lens would be incredible. Run Away from Venonat would be possible too, but mediocre. It does fit as it's a quick cat, sorta.

Eevee is shown in Poke Amie with arrows. Does this mean Espeon and Umbreon become Poke Amie evo's too based upon the time of the day?

That's it for my speculations as most others don't seem to fit, though notice that all are gen 1 or 2.

canno

formerly The Reptile
hm if this happens would that mean we could transfer over other mons with their HA? Like lets assume Feraligatr got its ability released this gen and that next gen it's HA changes to Guts or something. Would be interesting if you transfer over Feraligatr it keeps Sheer Force, essentially giving gatr 3 potential abilities (Torrent, Sheer Force, and Guts). It might also just change the ability upon transfer.

Or maybe we can't transfer mons (hard reset!!!), but I doubt it because PokeBank was recent. Would be very interesting however.

Snaquaza

KACAW
hm if this happens would that mean we could transfer over other mons with their HA? Like lets assume Feraligatr got its ability released this gen and that next gen it's HA changes to Guts or something. Would be interesting if you transfer over Feraligatr it keeps Sheer Force, essentially giving gatr 3 potential abilities (Torrent, Sheer Force, and Guts). It might also just change the ability upon transfer.

Or maybe we can't transfer mons (hard reset!!!), but I doubt it because PokeBank was recent. Would be very interesting however.
Upon transfer abilities get changed to the new ones. See Quick Feet Scolipede changing to Speed Boost (and kind of Basculin Blue changing Reckless to Rock Head). It would be nice, but they aren't giving us THAT much freedom.

Wow that sounds super cool if its legit, Umbreon's hidden ability (inner focus) sucks and if it were to get something like filter (from the Mr Mime if HA transfer works both ways) then that would really help. And there are plenty of other Pokemon in the same camp (cough* Delibird* cough).

The key thing with this new mechanic is that old HA are kept when the Pokemon is transferred to a new generation. It would be terrible if something like Serperior lost its Contrary ability when it was transferred to Gen 7 and got something like Shed Skin instead. But if they allowed it so that you could have Contrary and Shed Skin Serp in Gen 7 then that would be revolutionary. It would also be a genius marketing move by GF as people who got into Pokemon via Gen 7 would have to buy gen 6 games in order to get those exclusive HA. I really hope they implement this.

EV

Banned deucer.
My contact has been busy today and sent me another leak:

He/she also explained a few things for us:
  • The Pokemon receiving a new HA is the one on the white Pokeball. So keep your eyes open for those!
  • HAs will not be grandfathered sadly. :( It's like Snaquaza 's explanation of Quick Feet Scolipede -> Speed Boost. I think GF wants each Pokemon to take on new roles, which is why the old HA are voided. All non-HA abilities remain, however.
  • Based on the leak above, Mega Evolutions change their ability too! It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
More details to come in the next few days. Snaquaza and UmbreonEternal made some good predictions. I will verify if they are true and post the findings ASAP.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
My contact has been busy today and sent me another leak:

He/she also explained a few things for us:
  • The Pokemon receiving a new HA is the one on the white Pokeball. So keep your eyes open for those!
  • HAs will not be grandfathered sadly. :( It's like Snaquaza 's explanation of Quick Feet Scolipede -> Speed Boost. I think GF wants each Pokemon to take on new roles, which is why the old HA are voided. All non-HA abilities remain, however.
  • Based on the leak above, Mega Evolutions change their ability too! It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
More details to come in the next few days. Snaquaza and UmbreonEternal made some good predictions. I will verify if they are true and post the findings ASAP.
There are too many Mr. Mime on the leaks! Might mean that Filter is gonna be more widespread now, I don't know :/
The Mega Charizards seem pretty obvious. Mega Charizard X would get Inner Focus or Multiscale from Dragonite. It'll probably get Inner Focus if my previous predictions were right, but I don't see anything on it that should have Inner Focus, so hopefully it'll get Multiscale which is way better competitively. It'd be better flavorwise too as it's a lizard who are quite scaly, even if you can't see it in the sprite (you can't at Dragonite either). My theory of passing an ability from the old mon listed to the other mon seems right though.
Edit: Forgot CharY, would be Vital Spirit or Flame Body. Both would fit in my opinion

I think the Victini behind Pikachu means again that Pikachu will receive Victory Star! This could work since Pikachu is the mascot of the games. It'd be senseful to give it Victory Star to represent winning as well, though it has horrid flavor competitively. The images are strengthening this view, as it might mean that Victini's V-Create always hits, so Pikachu's Thunder does too! This would mean Victory Star would get a boost, which would be cool.

They seem to do popular Pokemon first, and starting at gen 1.

I hope to see more leaks Eevee General General !

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
There are too many Mr. Mime on the leaks! Might mean that Filter is gonna be more widespread now, I don't know :/
Well Mr. Mime is on both pages because he's in the crease.

I do have confirmation as of right now regarding the Gen 1 starters' new HAs, but I have to leave so I'll leave this hint:
Is my coyness getting under your skin yet?

I'll be back tonight. Hopefully my contact will have another page or two!

Well Mr. Mime is on both pages because he's in the crease.

I do have confirmation as of right now regarding the Gen 1 starters' new HAs, but I have to leave so I'll leave this hint:
Is my coyness getting under your skin yet?

I'll be back tonight. Hopefully my contact will have another page or two!
Shed Skin, Dry Skin, and Rough Skin corresponding to a lizard, a toad, and a turtle lol

Last edited:
  • I REALLY hope this isn't true, there's no reason for gamefreak to randomly make some mons a lot worse, which they will inevitably do if this is true.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)