HEY WHAT'S GOING ON OH MY GOD (introduction to a forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex

the best stuff on earth
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Welcome to a forum. You just might be asking yourself where Firebot, Congregation, and/or Internet Renaissance are. Bad news: they weren't getting along too well, and now they're gone. Long gone. A moment of silence, please.

. . .

The good news: enter a forum. This is now your one stop shop for general, and generally non-Pokemon, posting fun times. It is not the place to spew moronic or offensively unfunny bullshit. We're sorry to say that such a place does not - and will never - exist on Smogon. So what does go here? Put simply, anything that you feel, in your heart of hearts, would contribute to what is now Smogon's primary social forum. Intelligent discussion is welcome. Funny threads are more than welcome. Talk about music, games, sex, drugs. Whatever. Really.

This is not a merger of Congregation and Firebot. This is not a merger of Congregation and Firebot. This is not a merger of Congregation and Firebot. Congregation is dead. Firebot is dead. Enter a forum with a totally open mind. To assist in the transition, we've moved over some recent threads from the recently fallen forums that we think serve as decent examples of what we want (but remember, they're just examples and not at all exhaustive). We encourage you to make many an awesome new thread. And when you mess up, well, you're at the mercy of our delightful moderating staff. They'll take good care of you. But don't worry too much - warnings will only be given out when genuinely merited, and not at all liberally.

If you still have any questions, ask them here. Judiciously. Exercise some common sense. In the meantime, post away. a forum is your oyster. Also, read the rules thread.

Thanks!

[edit by Hipmonlee] - Mentlegen summed up the reasoning for this nicely here.
In other words, we think this forum will be better than Cong and firebot and IR.

Also, we are not in the least interested in whether you think this will work or not. Give it a chance, or ragequit, but bear in mind we will probably just delete any posts you make in the process.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
so why did you move the mental illnesses thread to a forum and not the drugs one?

I am pleased that my own self serving story of my life, Melodrama in a Fish Tank, made the cut for "good examples".

Which of the following can I now do?:

-troll deck knight for being hyper conservative/christian/himself
-call CK a bearded fuck

Also will a thread dictate its own ruleset? NO, I'm not talking about a stupid wifi thing where you give trade rules or something, but if I make a thread entitled "Phantasia wants to have sex on a cat", do we assume that it's a joke/troll thread as compared to one entitled "Mental Illness" which is more serious?

I find the gray area to be...too gray. Guidance, please!

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is that the final name of the forum? Sounds emo.

And I like this. I'm just hoping people don't keep the firebot mentality

okay I have a question why did you guys change the forums without at least giving it a better name; surely you cannot expect users to expect any real changes when the names are as bad as ever....right now Stark Mountain sounds like the bees knees around here

Can we pick from the most awkward wifi trade thread titles to name this? That could be a fun game

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
#1 is a no because it's going to be in somewhat serious threads and we know he's batshit insane by most regular people's standards and don't need that off-tracking the conversation
#2 is a no because it's not funny

"Phantasia wants to have sex with a cat" is a shitty thread that will get no where so it would be deleted.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is that the final name of the forum? Sounds emo.

And I like this. I'm just hoping people don't keep the firebot mentality
it needs a name at least
okay I have a question why did you guys change the forums without at least giving it a better name; surely you cannot expect users to expect any real changes when the names are as bad as ever....right now Stark Mountain sounds like the bees knees around here
a forum is standard
everything after the colon will be rotating like the youtube thread but you'll actually know what the forum is because it'll keep a forum in front

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
thanks god, i don't share morm's bukkake ways

or getting banned all the time

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
If you have better suggestions for a name. Feel free to make them.

We are evidently not unwilling to change things.

I think everyone is smart enough to know what sort of posting is appropriate for what sort of thread has been made. Any gray areas will be clarified with heavy handed deletion of shitty posts.

Have a nice day.

alex

the best stuff on earth
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I am pleased that my own self serving story of my life, Melodrama in a Fish Tank, made the cut for "good examples".

Which of the following can I now do?:

-troll deck knight for being hyper conservative/christian/himself
-call CK a bearded fuck

Also will a thread dictate its own ruleset? NO, I'm not talking about a stupid wifi thing where you give trade rules or something, but if I make a thread entitled "Phantasia wants to have sex on a cat", do we assume that it's a joke/troll thread as compared to one entitled "Mental Illness" which is more serious?

I find the gray area to be...too gray. Guidance, please!
you are allowed to make good posts. if you make posts "trolling" deck knight that are context-appropriate and funny, i won't delete. same deal for calling ck a bearded fuck.

your second question comes down to common sense more than anything. if you post retarded shit in a thread about a member of Smogon dying, for example, you will most likely be infracted or maybe even banned outright. but if you make lighthearted/jokey posts in a would-be "serious" thread about politics or philosophy, that's probably fine (if they aren't really dumb posts, and the definition of dumb is determined by mods).

it's intended to be gray.

Phantasia I really thought we were friends or something. I hoped we could share some of my more passionate interests!

Thanks, firestorm and especially Alex. I understand a lot more clearly.

Can we post a list of moderators who will directly be involved, please?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
you are allowed to make good posts. if you make posts "trolling" deck knight that are context-appropriate and funny, i won't delete. same deal for calling ck a bearded fuck.

your second question comes down to common sense more than anything. if you post retarded shit in a thread about a member of Smogon dying, for example, you will most likely be infracted or maybe even banned outright. but if you make lighthearted/jokey posts in a would-be "serious" thread about politics or philosophy, that's probably fine (if they aren't really dumb posts, and the definition of dumb is determined by mods).

it's intended to be gray.
So it's pretty much a way to weed out people who can't post to save their lives.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Mods are former firebot and cong mods, and possibly not az cause he changed his name.

Have a nice day.

mingot

free agent
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Phantasia I really thought we were friends or something. I hoped we could share some of my more passionate interests!

Thanks, firestorm...but somewhat serious is still...grey.

Can I say "Fuck you" to someone? Can I directly insult someone?

I want to know who the moderators are, please.
Morm, it's going to be hard to line skate here because we are not drawing a line. We're hoping that less well liked people decide to err on the side of not being too annoying!

So I can rebut Deck Knight and call him a moron when he is being a moron?

I wholeheartedly approve!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
am i allowed to post about my negative posting habits in a desperate cry for attention?

Guys?
Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)