SM OU Hey My ship team names are relevant this gen

Alright so it's been like forever since the Dreadnoughts, literally forever, not like three years or so. This generation's brought a lot of changes and insecurities but my love for stall is more eternal than my love for a wife I'll never have.

Alright normally this is where people talk about the very skippable teambuilding process. I'd rather make a skippable section about WHY Venusaur is used here and why this team is usable now but nothing similar was seen in Sable's old meta.

Q. Why does Venu Work here, but we didn't see him resurge on stall until after sable's ban?

A. Honestly we spent an entire generation on stall ignoring weather control. If you remember back to Gen5 weather wars, FIELD CONTROL was 2 fold: Control hazards AND control weather. Your team's ability to function came from both. In gen6, this was largely irrelevant. Weather was nerfed and therefore ignored by stall for the most part. The setters were never good stallers anyways (outside Hippo).

However the Tapus this gen do essentially the same thing as weather. If you DON'T control a field, you've given your opponent a 1.5x boost for free on a stab on 3 of 4 fields or a status-free zone vs stall. However, these benefits can be killer for stall. 6% bonus healing per turn, half damage from EQ, or no priority, no status, half dragon power? The only one that is almost wholly negative is Tapu Koko.

Sableye cannot CONTROL this field. In fact, worse than not being able to control it, he opens the field for your opponent to control it. Only Tapu Lele is truly scared of switching into Sable, although Bulu can fear a wisp. However it's too easy to get a field terrain up and train off your team's strategy around it. Venu is the best mega at COUNTERING that. He counters 3 of the 4 and prevents Lele (the 4th) from switching in. This, with the ease of clearing hazards lessening Sableye's importance, has lead to Venu and Zardx becoming overall more popular than Sable, something that didn't happen last gen.

Q. How is stall this generation?

A. It's probably going to be a huge fucking problem for the meta. This generation actually didn't add a huge offensive powerspike, only mechanic and ability changes. The new TOP TIER offensive threats for stall are Tapu Bulu, Tapu Lele and Pheromosa. Skarmory is naturally strong vs Bulu, Lele is still a question mark for a counter, and Pheromosa just got the short stick on losing to Mantine, Toxapex, Venu-M and maybe Sable, it seems. Z-Moves, some mons from last gen that were in Ubers and maybe some strange shit I've overlooked (Minior?Buzzwole? Idk) are the ONLY offensive power spikes this gen.

Defensively, it's different. Celesteela, Mantine, Toxapex are immediately top tier choices. Tapu Fini showed up to be huge. Even Bulu has a really neat help to stall when used as a wincon or terrain controller. Magearna and Decidueye, while neither are top tier, both provide good additional options to round a team out with. Sable suffering is actually a bonus which allows stall to not focus on countering those teams as hard.

Mechanic changes are both good and bad. Z-Moves make the game unpredictable can can make a one turn normality from gen6 turn into an unstoppable hell in 7. Mainly, think Z-Momento, Parting Shot, Manaphy's Rain Dance/Hydro Pump combination, Flyzium Z to counter out old checks on Lando-T, Gyara and Thundy. There are some positive, but far less impactful ones for stall. Z-Haze, Refresh, Heal bell, Aromatherapy and some others ALL are full recovery moves that already are good for stall. It helps validate mons like Lanturn, Fini, or even Sylveon who didn't HAVE a reliably recovery combination. But they're not as good. Burn nerfs are about net neutral. Harder to wear down a stall team, less chip damage for scald. T-Wave is positive: Stall was slow, hates paraflinch togekiss and shouldn't run Twave anyways. Additions of fields are probably going to be a net positive for stall, as suggested earlier. Bulu is pretty amazing.

But overall, Stall is going to be hard to balance this generation. If Hoopa stays, Stall is in a constant state of not beating something without going unviable (or trio). If hoopa goes, the rest of the world is going to have to find something that can beat stall consistently. Lando-i isn't it this gen. Traditional tauntbreakers may be better, but certainly it's going to be a real, dedicated effort that hasn't needed to exist in a while. And I think stall finally has acceptable tradeoffs between Zard, Venu, Sable (and eventually Malt) that may keep the team archtypes diverse. Could Medi/Hera/Gard coming over force stall on the defensive again? Probably not. Heracross is still difficult to cover, but four new fairies that are all innately faster do not make him happy.

Q. What Z-Moves?

A. IDK. I've been mostly using full recovery Z-moves. It's the least gimmicky defensive Z move, and there are some outside advantages. They act as untrickable items until used, represent a really strong recovery and can totally turn a game. On the other hand, they're one shot use. That last reason is exactly why I use Wish on Chansey right now, as the Z-Move supplements an inability to wish pass first.

Haze Fini or refresh CM fini, Toxapex (haze, to gain sludge bomb/tspikes&toxic/bunker) Heal Bell Lanturn are the ones I've tested. Fini is my clear favorite. Toxapex really doesn't need recover so I think Zhaze is enough. Honestly I'm considering running no recovery RH or Leftovers and trying to conform him more towards a Tangrowth style. Lanturn's cool... but I don't think Koko is good enough vs stall to warrant such a dedicated counter.

Azumarill's Sap Sipper set (should ZardX/Serp/ZardY be a threat) and Spite Rhyperior for birdspam both have ways to full heal. Rhyperior in particular is cool in concept because reliably recovery was what he lacked.

The beauty of all of this is stall doesn't really have a use for Zmoves otherwise so it's not competing with a spot like megas did last gen. Any Z-move that boosts stats is essentially useless for walls. Damage Z-moves aren't really useful for the most part, so I think the biggest takeaway is now you can probably find recovery on mons that traditionally had no real option.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

So Venusaur got some major gains this generation. Burn nerf is huge, since his longevity vs Rotom-Wash and scald users instantly increases. Fairies, Rain, and electric offense sets are pretty popular, and he shafts Tapu Koko, a mainstay on rain and any electric-based team. He stops all four fairies from coming in and can counter Bulu (misses 2hko with Megahorn, +helps venu heal), Fini and Koko, though brave bird variants can do good work back. Lele can switch in once from full health and survive, but any chip damage and it's basically GG for Lele. With Talonflame nerfed and Medi+Gard out of the meta, Venu is as strong as it can be.

The spread is last gen's spread, but I talked about it a bit in the PotW thread. It is still Venu's best spread, no adjustment needed. HP Fire is the only way this team beats Scizor-M. It's unfortunate, but role compression existed a bit hard. Nevertheless, you still 2hko scizor. My objective with Venu on this team is to be the primary tank, to keep other Tapus from feeling welcomed and to let Tapu Fini come in and reset control whenever I deem it needed. As he does the majority of the work, he needs to mega evolve asap.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Haze

So I LOVE Icium Z Haze. Tapu Fini has some ridiculous bulk and this physical spread can nearly counter a fucking Mega Heracross. Anyways, it's basically an unaware mon since I can recover and reset stats same turn if need be. Leftover loss hurts ever so slightly, but Chansey and Tapu Fini also have natural synergy so wish passing here is relatively easy.

The speed is actually enough to ensure you will always outspeed Marowak (jolly252 is a point slower). Nature's Madness is nice for Ferrothorn thinking his time is now, as is taunt since Gyro is only neutral. In fact, Nature's Madness is what you spam for switches. Surf is only really needed if you're going after an SE target or you've already hit a non-recovering target with Nature's Madness. The set's best is taking on Latios, as well as neutralizing ZardX for as long as I need. The set is also enough to set Venusaur or Chansey up to take Rest Manaphy, as it can haze off boosts and prevent manaphy from resting in the first place.

Mainly though, Fini is counter bulk. Fini is good at cutting Sableye-M down to size and annoying opponents who still rely on 'fairy counters' to protect Sable-M. Taunt prevents their healing (or boosting in some cases), haze makes sure CM clef doesn't get in my way and eventually they're falling to the inevitable anti-status taunt breaker.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Edit Dec10th
Sooooo Landorus-i went RIP today. Don't agree with how it was handled, but regardless, it adds a different wrinkle to this team. My replacement's primary concern then had to be Tapu Lele, which was what this slot had left for primary counters. Wanted to keep my Venu/Fini/Psychic core, so enter Jirachi. Spdef Rachi is nothing new, it was used at great length last gen to cut off any success Gardevoir could have. So now I have really shored up Latios....

The set is basic sustain as I'm not comfortable with Rachi enough to run the set i think would be 'optimal', aka Fire Punch for Metagross and Genesect that switches in. However, Protect isn't awful for Gene cuz it lets me scout band and scarf sets. Also gets me some decent passive healing back.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

I bet you've never seen this innovation before. I started with Spdef to take Latios and Lele, but I want to take Pinsir-M 100% of the time. Metagross struggles to get anything done so I have a phaser for him so I can look to scout for Bullet Punch and then trap first. Also gives me a real backup for Weavile (since Fini is otherwise THE option).

Defog/WW combo is compression and I've considered Rocks. Now that I have Rachi this isn't the biggest issue, so WW is basically for free. Considered spikes but talk about deadweight momentum.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Sucker Punch

Uh... Hoopa-U exists. That's about all I need to say to justify this guy. Otherwise, I kinda like being able to kill Heatran and TTar, who are both super annoying regardless. Toxapex, who is really hard for stall to kill, can be combo killed with Fini's taunt nature madness and Dugtrio's trap, should it choose to be annoying. I'm a coward so I only switch it in on guarantee no priority or full sash. It IS nice to catch Alohan muk, and otherwise vs stall you just take and kill Chansey whenever you need to.

With the addition of sucker punch, I basically have given Dugtrio the chance to go after anything that's gotten out of hand with a scarf. Mainly, I want a chance to take out Alakazam.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled

...It's chansey. God do I hate talking about chansey. Anyways I run Wish because Fini needs it. Venu catches them easy too. Tapu Koko, Thundurus are the two major targets for this one, though rain's Kingdra can't really be handled by anything else on this team. Otherwise, I didn't want to be taunt bait so Seismic Toss is ran over SR. Specs Magaerna is better taken via Chansey than Cress, so there's that.

Chansey DOES have great synergy with Venu and Fini for wish passing. Fighting weakness covered by both, whereas Psychic types mostly fail agianst Chansey. Fini provides a status wall for Chansey and prevents Trick Specs Latios by holding Z-Move Haze instead.

Tapu Fini @ Icium Z
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Haze

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Def / 248 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

Threat List:

Hoopa U is a huge threat. I basically lose a mon to revenge it and then lose Dugtrio as well (unless Rocks are already up, in which case Revesal is going to KO). Scarf isn't deadly but it's the most fucking annoying thing on earth when it IS scarf because you're not thinking about that garbage.

Lele is Scary. I can beat it through Cresselia slowly, especially non-specs. Since I don't bring Cress out much, it isn't the biggest issue but LandoI+Lele would probably smash this team with focused pressure.

Waterium Z Psychic Manaphy. Specific but one of two good sets. I don't actually have a great way to beat that set, even though I am overloaded with decent water resists and haze usage. Rest Manaphy, HP Elec manaphy are much more managable but Psychic just socks me.

Mega Metagross is somewhat difficult to outright beat. Dugtrio can smash it but you mostly want to have Skarm wall it for a while and pass the issue down the road.

So that's about it. Tell me what's up or so on and so forth. Advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
With Lando-I being banned, I guess I have no use for Cresselia. RIP really, thought it'd at least get a suspect test.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect

This is Cresselia's replacement. It serves countering Lele about the same basically, is slightly better vs TTar, gives me a great Latios check secondary to Lele, and a more reliable way to take on Alakazam. Most importantly, it carries Stealth Rocks, meaning I don't need dugtrio to get them up.

I am slightly more ground weak but I doubt this will be a big issue going forward. Lando-I was the only real gravity user.

Dugtrio has sucker punch now instead of Stealth Rock which makes it pretty damn good for revenging Alakazam, as well as letting me have a chance to take out low healthy sweepers like Pinsir-M, Sand Rush Excadrill and Non-espeed gene. Basically, if I lose my band, I don't immediately die to speedier targets or slow priority users.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)