Here comes the drought

OVERVIEW:I was bored and well I kinda wanted others suggestions as sun teams aren't really talked about

Team At A Glance:

IN Depth:

Ninetales@ironball
quiet
252hp,252sp.atk
-Heatwave
-hiddenpower(ice)
-Overheat/sunnyDay
-protect

Well its a sun team so suprise suprise, a Ninetales. Though I'm using iron ball to underspeed All other weather starters bar hippowdon setting up drought for its partner jumpluff to induce its sleep. I have trouble deciding Overheat or SunnyDay but in the end tales really ain't bulky so I opt Overheat here. Other than that standard.

Jumpluff@flyinggem/sitrus
jolly/adamant
252atk,252speed or 252hp,252speed
-SleepPowder
-Encore
-Protect
-Acrobatics/helpinghand

The main attraction. I wanted to base my team around my personal favorite Sun abuser, and he works wonders. I usually have sun up and begin sleep powdering away. Then encore is for support. My last two moves depend on what im doing I don't always want it taunt bait so I have acrobatics as its main move and it catches fighting pokemon offguard quite alot, but if I want full support I'd opt hellping hand, and use sitrus instead.

Hydreigon@ChoiceScarf
Modest
140hp,252sp.atk,116speed
-DracoMeteor
-FireBlast
-Darkpulse
-dragonpulse

Well I already knew I was going to need a dragon so it was between hydreigon,Sala, and Latios. Hydreigon won because of typing, and I recently thought of a bulky scarf variant. This allows me to outspeed everything while maintain bulk. To me Bulk is always a good thing and well this thing has slain many dragons with its suprise factor.

Metagross@steelgem
adamant
252atk,252hp
-MeteorMash
-Bulletpunch
-Earthquake
-Protect

Well now I was looking at my team and my team happened to have 2 eq resisters. So then I looked for good eq users, and metagross was there. not only does he peform well with hydreigon and jumpluff he was naturally bulky and powerful. My item choice was gonna be occa berry but you know. Whats the point off occa if sun is out. He'll get ko'd still so steelgem was the next best thing.

Chandelure@focussash
timid
252sp.atk,252speed
-heatwave
-shadowball
-imprison
-trickroom

At this point I had my core. I just needed 1 fakeouter which would become top, and I wanted to counter trickroom. It just so happen chandy abuses sun, and counter trickroom. I chose timid over modest to outspeed those bulky pokemon that want to outspeed neutral base 80's, and other chandy. Not only did he have synergy with gross and pluff he provided another nice fighting resist. Rest is standard.

hitmontop@fightinggem
Adamant
252hp,252atk
-Fakeout
-Closecombat
-SuckerPunch
-Wideguard

As I said I needed a fakeouter for utility. I remember ol scrafty and chandy shutting tr down. This year chandy found a new partner in the form of top. This thing is as standard as you get and wideguard is over detect as my whole team is weak to some sort of common spread move. Not to mention imo You MUST carry at least one fighting pokemon to beat some common things

Closing: Well thats the team.I wanted a sun team thats not considered inferior to other styles of play. Well please leave educated suggestions, and thank for reading ^_^.

Jumpluff!!! Excellent. It's not looking too shabby for a sun team and I haven't really run them all that much, so I'll just give what I think of each pokémon lol.

Ninetales, since it does actually have pretty decent speed, I'd consider dropping the iron ball for a fire gem. First turn weather isn't *that* important, and so long as ninetales can find a safe switch it it's a lot better off fast with a gem. That said though I don't think it's all that good a pokémon.

Jumpluff looks wonderful actually, and I would run it with jolly acrobatics 252hp/atk cause that way it's got MORE STATS. You still outspeed everything under sun and you're also bulky and strong so it's all good.

Hydreigon, ehhhh not too keen on the scarf I have to say. Looks too vulnerable to coming short of OHKOs and being knocked out easily. I'd replace it with a latias carrying dragon gem psychic/d meteor/sunny day or similar.

Metagross is great, exactly the same as mine except I use iron head over meteor mash. Though you might want to replace it with for example an extremespeed dragonite random as it sounds cause metagross doesn't fit too excellently with the rest.

Chandelure I'd definitely say needs protect, and imprison TR really isn't all that good (since remember chandelure is capable of doing heavy damage to most TR users anyway). So I'd drop those 2 moves for HP Ice (have IVs of 2 atk and 30def) and protect.

And Hitmontop, not too shabby but I'd consider having life orb instead to power up that weak-ass sucker punch.

So yeah it's not bad for a sun team but I definitely wouldn't use it in the actual tournament lol.

I like sun :)

I like iron ball ninetales because it's just a perfect TR counter when you pair it with jumpluff. Jumpluff sleeps their TR pokemon if they don't have a Fake Out pokemon, and if they do, Ninetales hits them for 2HKO damage turn 1: and then gets them turn 2 (unless you just want to imprison chand them)

Solarbeam might also be a suitable replacement for Sunny Day (also will-o-wisp, but the miss chance hurts).

Hydreigon@ChoiceScarf
Modest
140hp,252sp.atk,116speed
-DracoMeteor
-FireBlast
-Darkpulse
-dragonpulse
Trust me on this, replace Fire Blast for Flamethrower. In the sun your Flamethrowers power is pretty strong, and Fire Blast's accuracy makes in not viable in such a quick metagame and the last thing you want is to be locked into a low accuracy move, I'd suggest running Flamethrower and maybe even take out the scarf and give it a dragon gem or a life orb and replace either Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse. I see what your doing with Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse, but it doesn't really work out too well and your better off with better coverage.

Thanks for your replies.

-Though I do have mix feelings on Chandelure as Tales with iron ball pretty much underspeed alot of things. So I'll go with what zog said. I'll go with hp ice, and protect. Also didn't even no there was a iv spread for hp ice that didn't lower speed nor sp.atk. Thanks for that

-I see both your points on hydreigon. @Zog I'll see how gem latias works. Though he does make a good fit vs other weathers as if I take off ironball ill be losing to weather 1st turn. Ill test latias over the weekend.

-@Saboros
Well the thing about hydreigon is he's slow. So If I run non-scarf hydreigon I'm better off with sala or the lati twins.

-@zog on top. Yea lifeorb might be best. I always saw my suckerpunches just falling short of a ko. With LO I'd be able to get that ko. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Unreality on ninetales. I'll test solarbeam. I didn't include because of the presence of other weather.

-@Zog on ninetales(boy am I disorganized :p). I'll test fire gem ninetales which was originally my 1st option. Probably a 140hp,252sp.atk,116speed spread. Though this means when I vs other weathers ill have to switch in and out accordingly. Though ill test fire gem tales over the weekend to see which variation of tales suits my team.

@zog on metagross. I don't know about replacing him with drago(so random lol), but he seems nice, and I always want to test around.

@zog on actually using team for vgc. I always keep my actual teams in secret. So definitely not using this for vgc. Though I am 2nd on US gbu, using my actual teams,but it gets boring.

Everyone thanks for your suggestions. I will try all of them out and adjust accordingly ^_^.

If sun stays up Metagross is a gonner i dont think dragonite is a good replacement seeing you already have a dragon on your team

id use Gastrodon hes a great counter to other weather effects

Gastrodon@Leftovers
Bold Hp 252, Def 252, Sp.Def 4
or
Calm Hp 252, Sp.Def 252, Def 4
Storm Drain
Scald
IceBeam
Protect
Hidden Power(depends on what you want to take down)

Toxic can also be used to break down walls but may not be effective
The Ev spread also depends on wht side of the spectrum u want to wall
Hes great on this team do to all the grass resistance.

Scald can be powerful against sand teams but its still effective under sun to give the opponent a burn

That's why I think your better off with either a mixed mence, special mence, standard latios or Bulky Latias
Yep I already see that. Im testing latias but not bulky, mainly because well you get bulk and you get outsped by every dragon and lose. Not to mention its not ko'ing anything dragon without dragongem. As I said Imma just test over the weekend and see what dragons work.

@DHayes

I'll test it but the point of a sun team is to be able to counter all weathers like anti-weather as no other weather truly benefits from the sun. I'll test him but his 252def/sp.def sets are always lacking in power and become a liability. I know this from experience. Thanks for the suggestion. As all suggestions I'll test it andnsee how it works.

@DHayes

I'll test it but the point of a sun team is to be able to counter all weathers like anti-weather as no other weather truly benefits from the sun. I'll test him but his 252def/sp.def sets are always lacking in power and become a liability. I know this from experience. Thanks for the suggestion. As all suggestions I'll test it andnsee how it works.

hmm Try Swampert than.

Unless you have specific concerns about a certain Scarf speed number, you should adjust Jumpluff's EVs as Zog suggested. Honestly, if you aren't decidedly on having Jumpluff in there I'd say Exeggutor would do pretty well in its place; it can still Sleep Powder, still has valuable Fighting- and Ground-type resistances (and takes those often-physical hits better than Jumpluff), can be EV'd to outspeed almost every non-Scarf Pokemon, still hits Fighting-types hard with Psychic, and doesn't need to wear a Flying Gem to be offensive. It may take special hits a little more poorly than Jumpluff with 252 HP (or maybe otherwise, even), so that's one impediment, but I think that won't counterbalance all the good. If you need need NEED Encore, then Jumpluff wins out, but I would still go the Exeggutor route if you aren't committed to Jumpluff.

I ran a sun team for a long, long time on GBU without changing its members, and Exeggutor was my best friend. He forms an incredible duo with Ninetales. I don't think my team would have had the necessary oomph without him, but it's still 100% up to you; I don't know your playing style as well as you do, maybe Jumpluff is better in some other way I haven't considered.

(I'll edit this post if and when I think of other things to discuss with the team.)

Maybe note abilities? I think imprison Chandelures need protect more often thats always a nice move to lock on something that might try to stall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)