Here Be Dragons [OU RMT]

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi

I started out building this team with one main idea in mind. The metagame, as anyone who plays pokemon seriously knows, is centralised around Dragon- and Steel-types. The former are inordinately powerful, and the latter are used for two reasons - they are the only type to resist Dragon, and they have fantastic defensive synergy with Dragons. This team is an experiment that pushes that synergy to the limit.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
Natural Cure
40 HP/252 SpA/216 Spe
Surf
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Trick

Starmie is one of the most important pokemon on this team. It starts the game off aggressively, 2HKOing most common leads with its good coverage. It can also Trick its Scarf away if necessary, such as against Endeavor Infernape. That’s not all it does, though. While the team is on the offense, everything is fine, but when the opponent starts killing back Starmie is a very useful asset. It patches up the team’s weakness to speed-boosting sweepers. Previously, I was swept by Gyarados and Metagross (as well as, if to a lesser extent, Tyranitar and Salamence). Starmie helps fix this problem.

The lack of Rapid Spin may be puzzling, but where would it go? Surf is obligatory STAB and a good attack all-round, Ice Beam is needed for Dragons (particularly Salamence) and Thunderbolt is required for other Water-types (especially Gyarados). Trick is also necessary to cripple Blissey and hurt other leads. The EV spread allows Starmie to outspeed Timid Scarf Latias, Gengar and other +1 positive-Speed-natured Base 110s.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
Magnet Pull
40 Atk/252 SpA/216 Spe
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power [Fire]
Substitute
Explosion

Magnezone is one of the most important pokemon on this team, for two reasons. Part of its usefulness is the defensive synergy it offers - between Zone and Latias or Salamence, every type in the game is resisted. On a team that lacks anything with significant defensive investment, resistances and smart switches are crucial. Secondly, and most importantly, Magnezone plays a particualr role - it traps Steels. As the only type that resists Dragon, Steel is the bane of this team and opposing Steels are the only things (Blissey aside) preventing this team from firing off Draco Meteor after Draco Meteor.

With this set, Magnezone can set up a Sub on Choice-locked pokemon like ScarfRachi and CB Scizor, or outspeed a Scizor's Superpower and hit it with HP Fire. Explosion is crucial for dealing with things like Blissey, OHKOing with Stealth Rock or a little prior damage. STAB Thunderbolt can severely dent most pokes, and carrying a powerful Electric-type helps alleviate the team's slight problem with bulky waters like Vaporeon and Suicune.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Rash (+SpA, -SpD)
Flash Fire
88 HP/252 SpA/168 Spe
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Explosion
Stealth Rock

Heatran is a nice fit here. Not only does it boast very good synergy with Starmie and the Dragons, but it also gives me Stealth Rock, considerable offensive power and the ability to smack Blissey in the face with Explosion. The fat pink blob is one of the nemeses this team dreads – switching in easily and scaring it away or killing it makes Heatran an extremely useful auxiliary pokemon to have.

Currently, a Rash nature is used to avoid compromising the power of Explosion, but I am willing to reconsider this. 168 Speed EVs lets Heatran outrun 208 EVs Adamant Breloom and 88 EVs Bold Rotom, among other things. The moveset gives decent coverage while allowing for Stealth Rock and Explosion – I do not think any Hidden Power type – or Dragon Pulse – is more appropriate than Earth Power.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
Intimidate
16 Atk/240 SpA/252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire Blast

This pretty standard MixMence is hugely important to the team. It often follows Infernape, hopefully driving gaping holes into the opponent's team with its powerful attacks. Not only can it smash through almost anything with Draco Meteor and clean up many slower pokemon, but it also lures in Steels by locking itself into Outrage. These Steels can then be trapped by Magnezone, leaving Latias and Kingdra free to wreak havoc. Earthquake hits grounded Steels like Jirachi (though I have to watch out for Scarf Ice Punch) and Heatran. Fire Blast, meanwhile, fries those which avoid or are neutral to EQ - Skarmory, Bronzong, Scizor etc. The latter is even KOd with the SpA drop from Meteor.

Latias @ Choice Specs
Timid (+Spe, -SpA)
Levitate
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Surf
Thunderbolt
Trick

Latias is the team's biggest offensive powerhouse and wields the strongest Draco Meteor. It generally comes in once the opponent's switch-ins to Draco Meteor are weakened and then smashes through them. It's an extremely well-educated bludgeon, though, as it fills a few other roles too. Its excellent spread of resistances provide perfect defensive synergy with both Magnezone and Scizor - with its stellar Special Defense, it's particularly comfortable switching in on Fire attacks, and like Salamence it is immune to Earthquakes aimed at Magnezone.

Surf is an excellent auxiliary move that, as Kingdra demonstrates, provides great coverage with Draco Meteor. Thunderbolt, meanwhile, gives Latias a way to hit bulky waters hard and to check Gyarados effectively. Trick is very useful to cripple Blissey, otherwise a dangerous threat to this team.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Timid (+Spe, -SpA)
Swift Swim
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Draco Meteor
Hydro Pump
Dragon Pulse
Surf / Hidden Power [Electric]

Kingdra is an incredibly strong wallbreaker and sweeper. Its perfect coverage with two attacks means that the opponent has to predict impeccably - if they switch their bulky water or, worse, their fast Dragon into a Draco Meteor, they're pretty screwed. If they switch their Steel-type into a Hydro Pump, it's almost game over right there. Kingdra forces the opponent to make a really smart switch, and even if they pick correctly a quick pivot through a Steel can set the same situation up again.

The moveset is pretty self-explanatory and Kingdra's small movepool doesn't allow it much in the way of other options for a Specs set. Nothing is going to hit harder than its STAB moves in most cases. That means reliable substitutes can be used for Draco Meteor and Hydro Pump, particularly useful in the former case if Kingdra needs to mop up a weakened team or a low-health pokemon. As there isn't that much difference between Hydro Pump and Surf, I have been considering using Hidden Power Electric - predominantly for Empoleon, but also for Water-types like Suicune.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Your team is currently rather weak to Swords Dance Lucario, who can easily get a boost on one of your many Choice-locked Pokemon and then proceed to demolish your team. Starmie will be OHKOed by a +2 Adamant Extremespeed, Kingdra is OHKOed by Close Combat, Latias is OHKOed by Adamant Extremespeed, Heatran and Magnezone are both easily OHKOed by even an unboosted Close Combat, and Salamence will be OHKOed by a Swords Dance boosted Extremespeed after factoring in Stealth Rock damage, one turn of Life Orb recoil, and Intimidate against the opposing Lucario. Fortunately for you, there are two ways to fix this without changing your team much: attach a Choice Scarf to either Magnezone or Heatran. With a Scarf, they can both outspeed and OHKO Lucario with their respective moves. I would say to use Choice Scarf Magnezone, however, as Life Orb Heatran is a pretty pivotal Pokemon for your team, both setting up Stealth Rock and luring in and KOing Blissey with Explosion....so yeah, that's why I would go for Scarf Magnezone. Use a set of Thunderbolt | Hidden Power Fire | Flash Cannon | Explosion, an EV spread of 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe, and a Naive nature with the ability Magnet Pull (of course).

I think that you may want to try using Dragon Dance Salamence in place of your current MixMence, and here's why: Choice Specs Kingdra is already a quite decent wallbreaker due to its two ridiculous STAB moves, while Choice Specs Latias just destroys everything that switches in with its Draco Meteor. So, when you have these two Pokemon who are capable of doing such a wonderful job at wearing down the opposition with their dual Draco Meteors, why would you not have a Pokemon who can take advantage of the massive holes that they'll create in the opposing team? Dragon Dance Salamence can do just that, being able to clean up even Steel-types once they've been weakened by a few Specs-boosted Draco Meteors from your two Choice Specs users. Use a set of Dragon Dance | Outrage | Earthquake | Fire Blast, an EV spread of 232 Atk | 24 SpA | 252 Spe, and a Naive nature with the item Life Orb.

I know that you said that you were having trouble fitting Rapid Spin on Starmie, but your team honestly needs Rapid Spin support. You are currently running 3 Choice item users (4 if you go with ScarfZone), and so you are definitely going to be switching around loads. As such, Spikes and Stealth Rock are definitely going to be taking their toll on your team, and weakening your Pokemon to the point where an opposing lategame DDMence can just come in and clean up. I would say fit it over Thunderbolt simply because your team already has Magnezone's powerful STAB Thunderbolt, and as such there is really no need for Starmie to be carrying it as well.

Something else that I think you may want to try is Dragon Pulse on Latias in place of Trick. The only thing that Trick is going to cripple when it's lategame is Blissey, who will already either be Tricked by Starmie or Exploded on by Heatran if you play well...so basically, you aren't going to have anything to Trick. With the ScarfTar craze lately, Trick on Latias is basically like saying to Tyranitar, "I'm over here! I'm helpless! Come Pursuit me please!". Dragon Pulse actually allows Latias to really clean-up lategame, and as such is really not at all redundant when used alongside Draco Meteor, even though they are both Dragon-type moves (they essentially do different things).

For any team, especially an offensive team such as this one that needs to get certain OHKOs and 2HKOs, setting up Stealth Rock early in the game is of great importance. This is why Heatran should be moved into the lead position.

Heatran@Shuca Berry
Naive (+Spe, -SpD)
4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Explosion

This Heatran would set up Stealth Rock for your team more reliably than your current Heatran. Also, you would be able to move Starmie to a non-lead position, letting you have a reliable revenge-killer.

This team also lacks a late-game sweeper. On any Bulky Offense team, there has to be one Pokemon that can set up stat boosts and KO the opponent's Pokemon after they are weakened. On this team, Kingdra is not filling any role that is not already filled by Latias. Therefore, Kingdra should be a DD Kingdra instead.

Kingdra@Leftovers
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Substitute
-Outrage
-Waterfall

Such a Kingdra would be able to take advantage of Salamence and Latias's work putting pressure on Bulky Waters, as well as Magnezone's work eliminating Pokemon that resist Outrage. This Kingdra would also let your team have less of a Blissey problem. Overall, Kingdra should be changed for a Choice user to a late-game sweeper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)