SV DOU Help with SV OU Doubles team!

Hello! Considering that the new DLC (which seems to be full of double battles) is just around the corner, I ventured into making a competitive doubles team for both comp and history. This is my first time creating a team for this format so I chose to do a fun strategy.

I wanted the team to revolve around Belly Drum Chesnaught, so this is what I came up with:

Maushold-Four @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Friend Guard
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- After You
- Population Bomb
- Follow Me
- Encore

Maushold is Chesnaught's best friend. His mission is to keep the main boi alive until he sets up. I usually start with Maus-Chesnaught and go for Follow Me + Belly Drum. From then, I just consider if I should use Encore, PopBomb for chip damage or After You if the mouse is the fastest on the field just to make Chesnaught attack first.

Chesnaught @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide
- Spiky Shield

The main boi. He will try to sweep at x4 Atk using Rock Slide (preferably) and Drain Punch. He also has Spiky shield to gain some time for TR set up.

Oranguru @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Instruct
- Protect
- Psychic

Oranguru is Chesnaught's girlfriend. She is there to set up TR and Instruct the chestnut for double damage.

///////
Those three pokemon come in a pack, they are designed to work together (not exclusively but almost). From here the next three pokemon are somehow expendable.
//////

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Follow Me

Ogerpon is mainly here because lorewise it makes sense if we are battling Kieran in the future. She has Knock Off for pressure, 2 STAB attacks and Follow Me, just in case she needs to support Chesnaught.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Chandelure... To be honest I just included him because I found a shiny and I wanted to use it. At first it didn't convince me much, but that Pain Split - Substitute set, in combination with Flash Fire, in a meta with quite a few Eruption users didn't work bad at all.

Gholdengo @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

And in the last slot we have Gholdengo. It is the reserve sweeper, with access to Nasty Plot and Make It Rain to hit both foes, as well as Dazzling Gleam for the same purpose. Shadow Ball is an STAB attack that I thought was necessary to have.

My problem with this team is that once Chesnaught is dead, the rest of the team lacks power to finish the work, so I need some advice on possible changes for the team.
I would love to keep the first three pokemon untouched, as they are the core and fun of the strategy (obviusly, if you notice something blatantly wrong, please tell me as I'm already a noob in teambuilding).
Also, I would love to keep Ogerpon but I am more open.
For the last to slots feel free to suggest any change (pokemon, moves, evs...).

Also if this post is in the wrong sub-forum, or lacks some format please tell me and I will try to correct that next time.
Thanks!

Reactions: YNM

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
I think feint > after you on maushold will help, as players will try to use protect to stall out trick room turns and feint breaks them, allowing CHesnaught and others to hit those pokemon . Adding another trick room user/support pokemon will help the team, like Cresselia, which can set up as well as heal teamates AND use helping hand instead of Chandelure. Replace Gholdengo with Flutter Mane, as TR will not always be up, and having a fast powerful presnese like Mane can help. FInally, a second trick room abuser. KIngambit seems like a good one, instead of Ogrepon, which will help late game as a cleaner and also their type synergies are really good.

May I suggest dropping gholdengo for this diancie set?

Diancie @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 28 Def / 84 SpA / 100 SpD
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tera Blast
- Trick Room

Diancie is a bulky pokemon which functions well offensively (spread moves like diamond storm and gleam) and defensively (its natural bulk and the possible x2 defense with diamond storm) in trick room in this set, and with a covert cloak it can't be flinched and can act as a more reliable trick room setter. Tera fire tera blast is for coverage (and possibly giving chandelure a sp atk boost in its fire moves.)

For chandelure, I suggest dropping fire blast for heat wave as it's a more accurate move which can hit both targets and to give it an EV spread on the more bulky side as it has awesome base special attack already and to give it a speed boosting nature (possibly timid)

As for ogerpon, I suggest dropping it for this tornadus set:
Tornadus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 88 SpD / 80 Spe
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Bleakwind Storm
From what I've observed, your team has little ways of controlling the speed of the battle, and chesnaught isn't the slowest pokemon (beware of sunroom teams). Tornadus is here to guarantee you have tailwind up whenever you need it (to give chandelure a little push for success), knock off to remove items like in your ogerpon set, bleakwind for a bit of damage, taunt to stop opposing trick rooms and tera ghost to stop fake out.

(i am not sure about these suggestions specifically their ev spreads, so feel free to change stuff up!)

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
May I suggest dropping gholdengo for this diancie set?

Diancie @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 28 Def / 84 SpA / 100 SpD
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tera Blast
- Trick Room

Diancie is a bulky pokemon which functions well offensively (spread moves like diamond storm and gleam) and defensively (its natural bulk and the possible x2 defense with diamond storm) in trick room in this set, and with a covert cloak it can't be flinched and can act as a more reliable trick room setter. Tera fire tera blast is for coverage (and possibly giving chandelure a sp atk boost in its fire moves.)

For chandelure, I suggest dropping fire blast for heat wave as it's a more accurate move which can hit both targets and to give it an EV spread on the more bulky side as it has awesome base special attack already and to give it a speed boosting nature (possibly timid)

As for ogerpon, I suggest dropping it for this tornadus set:
Tornadus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 88 SpD / 80 Spe
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Bleakwind Storm
From what I've observed, your team has little ways of controlling the speed of the battle, and chesnaught isn't the slowest pokemon (beware of sunroom teams). Tornadus is here to guarantee you have tailwind up whenever you need it (to give chandelure a little push for success), knock off to remove items like in your ogerpon set, bleakwind for a bit of damage, taunt to stop opposing trick rooms and tera ghost to stop fake out.

(i am not sure about these suggestions specifically their ev spreads, so feel free to change stuff up!)
Then it becomes a semi trick room/tailwind team?

I wouldn't go max spe on Chandelure, if it's tr. If adding the tailwind 2nd mode maybe...um. I don't even play doubles, nvm ou. But it seems ok to go less/no spe w/ this team. Bear in mind Chandelure has low base HP, but surprisingly solid 90 Def/SpD, so HP investment can do a lot I should think.

Then it becomes a semi trick room/tailwind team?
yes those were my thoughts, as it gives chesnaught more forms of dealing damage because of its middling speed
Mental herb torn Tailwind can be used as a solid alternative whenever trick room cant go up
With taunt it can also help trick room go up by taunting opposing pokemon before they taunt oranguru/diancie

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)