Help A Kid Out

Smogon,
My first time every posting and I have tested the team out but it loses against to many of the rare teams and I want to see if I made any beginner mistakes

Lets get it Started

Lucky Star (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: HP 80, Att 252, Speed 176
Nature: Jolly
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Trick
- U Turn

A standard Jirachi lead, but I have always liked using leads that come come back into the game and be effective over one that kills itself after doing its job. Against the suicide leads, like Azelf and Aerodactyl I Iron Head and hope for a flinch hax. Then I switch out and hope to set up rocks later in the game. Against slower lead I trick the choice scarf, stealth, laugh as they switch to heatran on the stealth and U-turn for my life. As just mentioned Heatran leads destroy me because scarfran can be very effective and I hate to lose my lead but I do not want to do five damage so I need help here.

Shadow Strike @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4HP 252 Spa 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Sub
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
Even though I have run a few Pokemon here I finally settled on Gengar. I may still trade it out but so far it has worked out has a sweeper. It is easily walled Blissey, but that's my only my only real issue with this poke.

Wave Rider (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: HP 252, Def 200, SpD 54
Nature: Calm/Bold
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- HP Grass
- Surf
I have done a major reboot in my team. This is just one of the Pokes that had to go. I wanted a more defensive Water and starmie fit the bill, but It had similiar weaknesses to Cress. Soon I came to my mind to try Suicone. I have run it in a few battles and it always works. It always stalls out Swampert, Vapreon and near every fire type known in the game

Mean Shrooms (Breelom) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: Hp 12, Att 252, Speed 244
Nature: Adamant
- Spore
- sub
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb

I loved Breelom since I started in Emerald since it was the first shiny I got and I loved the ugly Mushroom. The moveset it very standard spore puncher and it always seems to work when I come into a poke that is slower than me. I then proceed to do what Breelom is designed to do and spore. THen my oppent rage quits and I win. Now really this causes prolong havoc on my foe and it almost alwys works expect when tricked.

Goddess (Cresselia) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Levatite
EVs: 252 HP 200 D 56 SpD
Nature: Calm
- Trick
- Charge Beam/Psycho Shift
- Rest
- Ice Beam

This is a set that I kinda made up and kinda stole from smog. The reason I run this set is because I always have loved Cress but it was too easily destryoed be a prosuiter like TTar and Scizor so I tried this set. Boy does this thing kick ass I first switch in to a poke that I can force out like machamp. I then Psyco Shist on the switch because most peps think that I've made a typo in the item. It pains me to see me catching a blind scizor or ttar on the switch esp. after the smogcast talked about Gengar throwing blind Focus blasts and catchin TTar on the switch and killing it but it works very well for me.
Lava Snort (Heatran) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 hp 252 SpA 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

This is a very standard set for Heatran and after a few battles you can start to see why. The only thing that could dream of switching in is Blissey and Swampert. But both are counterable from Breelom. I also love the the perfect Syrenergy from this Cress and Breloom. If one of the latter dies the other can take its place. Also the unquie typing always me to switch into to some many different threats that could be a problem. Although the loss of my revenge slayer ise big to my team I could make it through with this Poke.

Changes in Bold

Threat List
Azelf: Lead Iron Head Flinch, never faced another kind though
Breloom: Paco always takes it down with a shocking drill peck
Celebi: I have never faced Baton Pass but I always struggled with a baton chain, but any other form I can use Jirachi for the rare lead or if need be Weavile for revenge even though only one poke is weak to its stab
Dugtrio: Never have faced, ever
Electivire: Too much fun to mess with these ones b/c Cress
Empoleon: Breloom, never once faced a swords dance
Flygon: Weavile revenge
Gengar: Same as flygon
Gliscor: Same as Gengar
Gyarados: Empoleon can and will stall it out, but cress can play mid games with it
Heatran: Really depends on the type of heatran b/c lead is hard to counter, scarf could not sweep and any other is OHKO by a CB low Kick
Heracross: See Breelom
Infernape: Dragonite and Cress
Jirachi: leads trade rocks and run, others are destryed by Dnite and Paco
Kingdra: Paco
Lucario: Proven that special cannot OHKO Cress and Physical get mind gamed
Machamp: Lead is destroed by a choice scarf and Cress destroys all non Guts, but Guts is never seen
Magnezone: The only thing that it can trap that I fear for death is Paco but it can EQ if it is not runnig choice scarf if not Weavile and Dnite can go get maybe even Shrooms
Mamoswine: Shrooms, Weavile, Paco, Jirachi
Metagross: Cress gets its mind games going
Ninjask: Spam Iron head or trick
Porygon-Z: Weavile can pursuit it to death if need com but Paco will usually hold its ground
Rhyperior: Breloom
Roserade: Iron Head for lead, only ones I have faced
Rotom-A: Weavile
Salamence: Above
Scizor: Paco can have some fun with CB in BP, but SD come in on Cress knowing that they can set up, but hahahahahaha
Snorlax: Breloom will come in and put it to sleep, sub and Focus Punch if it is in
Starmie: Weavile can and will revenge it
Suicune: Paco if Ice beam Breloom if HP electric
Togekiss: Weavile
Tyranitar: Paco or if need be Weavile
Weavile: It can counter itself or Paco
Yanmega: Spam Iron head or trick and Iron head
Zapdos: Weavile could OHKO if stealths are in play, but otherwise it could be hard to do big threat

First of all, I would consider switching your empoleon for a better sweeper such as Lucario. Empoleon's attack and stab are not made to sweep physically even if he does have swords dance. You say it work, it may be, but I will tell you that Lucario would work much better; If you do try it, here's the set I recommend:

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Evs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Def
Nature: Adamant
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Extremespeed
-Close Combat

Yes, it is more fragile, but he will sweep even more than Empoleon.

Second, I'm honestly not too sure about your cresselia's set... I think that it could easily be replaced by a defensive Celebi with Thunder Wave. However, if you do want to keep your cresselia for some reason, switch trick for something else sush as Thunder Wave because now Psycho Swift and Trick seems redundant.

Third, you are Stealth Rock weak; both weavile and dragonite are hurt pretty badly by it. Your team might still work despite that, but I'm just pointing it out.

Also, you have a major fire weakness as well as a general heatran weakness: your whole team can be swept by a scarfed one; Jirachi can't do anything to it while heatran pretty much destroys him, dragonite will not enjoy switching on stealth rock just to take a fire blast/flamethrower, empoleon also does not like taking fire blasts to the face, breloom gets completely annihilated by it, cresselia cannot touch him and finally weavile gets destroyed by it. To fix that HUGE problem I think you should add a bulky water such as vaporeon maybe over Cresselia.

In conclusion, I just pointed you out the main problems of your team, I hoped I could help you. Good luck and have fun with your team. =p

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well first CB Weavile really is not that great, you have no spiner so it wil be crioppled easily and you canot really touch scizor who will switch in and threated a KO with Bullet Punch or an advantage switch with U-turn. If you still want Weavile on the team then I suggest using a LO instead since you get a boost and freedo to switch attacks. You also have a huge weakness to offensie Suicune. To fix this I suggest a LO Starmie over Empoleon. It can tke Fire Blasts and can recover when needed. PLus it hits really hard with Hydro Pump.

Have a Nice Day!

Empoleon is there to set up on Scizor and to lock Heatran into a move not named fire blast. I also tried Luc before and after again but Heatran was destroying my team. Also Should I use the smogon LO Starmie or something more designed for killing Suicune/Heatran

I'd use DD Nite. No what, just use DD Mence. it's a whole lot better. DD, EQ, D Claw, and Roost. Addy Nature w/ max spe and atk EVs.

For your Weavile, I would use Night Slash, Ice Punch, Brick Break, and Swords Dance. I suggested SD because I want you to run Life Orb. Switch into Gengar and on the switch, or protect, use SD and then sweep.

For your Breloom, I would use Leech Seed to further bulkyness on it. run leech seeds instead of Seed bomb.

I would try and put in a Magnezone somewhere in there to support your dragon, but I have no idea where to put it in.

Best of Luck
-that one kid

The team seems to lack a purpose. You have quite a few potential wall-breakers, as Jirachi can Trick its Scarf onto a Hippowdon or Swampert, and a MixNite to break down common SkarmBliss walls, but your Empoleon and Breloom lack paralysis support for late-game and your Weavile is Revenge-Killing far too much.

Let's pretend Empoleon is the Poke this team is centered around. Empoleon works very well if you can clear:
Cresselia
Skarmory
Bronzong
Salamence
Gyarados
Rotom-A
Zapdos

Jirachi leads well, able to Trick the first 3 and set up SR for additional support. Choice Band Tyranitar with EarthQuake over Aqua Tail works well over Weavile: It provides additional bulk and helps to weaken down the Pokemon that switch into Empoleon otherwise.

Your team then begins to lose to Dragons-Mostly Salamence and Gyarados. You can either switch Cresselia's Psycho Shift to Charge Beam or replace Breloom and use it alongside an HP Electric Vaporeon. Vappy only has troubles with fast Suicune, which Empoleon handles, while giving you Wish support.

This leaves you with Dragonite and Breloom. Rotom-A do very well over one of them, a Reflect/WoW/Discharge/Shadow Ball set with Discharge gives you some paralysis support-this is very important for late game Tar or Empoleon sweeps.

Empoleon-Stay
Jirachi-Stay
Dragonite-Rotom H
Cress
Vaporeon
Weavile-TTar

Ok i got your PM

For starters I think that you should replace Empoleon with a LO Starmie because it has good synergy with weavile and takes care of weavile's normal counters. Besides you have no rapid spinner, so weavile loses 25% hp each time it comes in. I suggest that you switch it out for an SD Lucario.

Good Luck!

Hey I got your PM, I only see one main problem with this team- bulky Dos. It can taunt cresselia and Empoleon and use them as mere set up fodder. From there everything dies to it. A couple of options you have that wouldn't totally alter your entire team would be to give Jirachi Thunder Pucnh over Uturn or Cresselia Thunderbolt.

That's honestly all of the advice I have, good team.

I'm trying a charge Beam Cress and b?c the success of it I might change Cress to a more standard set, but for now I am keeping the set I have. Every and all rates are important. Also testing Starmie over Empoleon, but it does not work as well, but I am less CharfRan weak.
Thanks to everyone who has posted

Charge beam cress? Try charge beam rotom-a because it gets wtb and can willowisp tyranitar (something) cress can't do.

~ Charge Beam
~ Substitute
~ Shadow Ball
~ Will-o-Wisp
128 HP / 168 SpA / 212 Spe leftovers with a timid nature

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi Ian, I got your PM, so here goes.

This team has weaknesses to several offensive threats covered very nicely, so I commend you on that. However, I think that the real problem on your team is a lack of focus. For starters, it is very hard to understand what your team is trying to accomplish. You are using an odd Empoleon variant who really doesn't fit your team very well. That particular Empoleon set is meant mainly as a Pokemon to use on teams that struggle with Blissey, due to the set's ability to consistently lure in and KO her. However, your team is primarily physical, and as such, shouldn't have too many problems in dealing with Blissey. I think that a better Pokemon to use in place of Empoleon would be Life Orb Rapid Spin Starmie. Life Orb Rapid Spin Starmie can help your team as it is not only a consistently powerful special attacker, but can also use Rapid Spin to get rid of Stealth Rock, which will help your Salamence sweep in the long run. Use this set:

Starmie @ Life Orb | Natural Cure
Timid nature | 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Hydro Pump | Rapid Spin | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam

Hydro Pump is a strong STAB move, Thunderbolt is used for hitting bulky Waters like Gyarados, and Ice Beam is for foes like Salamence and Flygon. Rapid Spin is a great move for team support, and will really help your team.

I also see Weavile as a very odd choice on your team. Weavile is primarily used as a check to the ever-common Dragon Dance Salamence, no? However, your team already has Salamence covered wonderfully due to its use of Cresselia, who is a very good Salamence check. Though there is no debating that Salamence is a big threat, it seems like massive overkill to me that you would employ two Pokemon whose main purpose is to take out Dragon Dance Salamence. As such, I see Weavile as unnecessary on your team, and think that you should run another Pokemon in his space. Heatran fits the bill; your team struggles with Fire-type moves, and with the removal of Empoleon, your team only has one Dragon-resist...Heatran patches up both of these problems. It also gets rid of pesky Skarmory or Scizor who will attempt to stop Salamence's sweep. I think that the best type of Heatran to run here is a Substitute Heatran set. Use this:

Heatran @ Leftovers | Flash Fire
Naive nature | 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
Fire Blast | Earth Power | Substitute | Explosion

Fire Blast is used for STAB, while Earth Power is used to hit opposing Heatran and Tyranitar. Substitute is a great move to use when you know your opponent will switch, and Explosion makes for a great last-ditch choice to take out a troubling threat (or a Blissey). You could use a Life Orb as this set's item, but you'll find your HP going down quickly.

With Roost, you seem to be playing a pretty conservative Salamence set. While this is fine, some of your choices for moves don't really fit. First off, you DEFINITELY need a Jolly nature on Salamence; this allows you to outspeed or tie with so many more threats after a Dragon Dance that it isn't even funny; I would change the nature right away. Also, I think that Outrage would make a much better move over Dragon Claw. With Roost and Starmie's Rapid Spin support, you are giving yourself many more chances to sweep than the average Salamence, and so you can afford to run the high-powered Outrage instead. You can also vie for a Lum Berry; this will nullify the confusion from Outrage, and allow Salamence to sweep more easily with much more power (thanks to Outrage).

One last thing, I would basically always use Charge Beam on Cresselia for the purpose of hitting Dragon Dance Gyarados; thanks to Cresselia's outstanding bulk, she makes for a great DDDos counter, and so you can take full advantage of that with Charge Beam. Besides, there's always the chance of grabbing a nifty Special Attack boost, which could potentially help your team in the long run.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the rate Snorlaxe and I have already switched out empoleon for rapid spin starmie and are you saying I should keep my current Cress set or try something more common

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the rate Snorlaxe and I have already switched out empoleon for rapid spin starmie and are you saying I should keep my current Cress set or try something more common
Um.... if you read my rate, you would know that I said to switch out Weavile for a Heatran, and to not change Cress. You are obviously concerned with team synergy, and a Substitute Heatran can help you achieve much better synergy, both offensively and defensively. Cresselia is fine; she works as a nice surprise for your opponents. I would keep her ;)

Um.... if you read my rate, you would know that I said to switch out Weavile for a Heatran, and to not change Cress. You are obviously concerned with team synergy, and a Substitute Heatran can help you achieve much better synergy, both offensively and defensively. Cresselia is fine; she works as a nice surprise for your opponents. I would keep her ;)
At the same time Cresselia does not accomplish much if anything: granted, she's a surprise for incoming tyranitars, but once you know the set she becomes completely useless... Heatran can just come in and obliterate one of his pokémons or SpDef Skarmory could come in and set up (Charge Beam won't do much even after 1 boost). Plus, teams with aromatherapy support or heal bell support will just render this cresselia completely futile. I would consider a celebi because it would bring T-Wave support for your team.

Alright, after looking at every post I have decided to drop Mence for Gengar with Sub, Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball and Focus Blast. Emploeon for Suicone with Rest Sleep Talk, HP Electric, and Surf. Weavile for Heatran with scarf Fire Blast Dragon Pulse, Earth Power, and I have not choosen a final move, but now I'm using Solar Beam if I come in on Scizor and expect to switch for Swampert. I will post it soon on the official team and on the threat list. Rerates are helpful

I got your PM, I was very busy this week, but here goes:

Swampert can't really do anything to this team because of Bulky Suicune and Cresselia. I think HP Grass Suicune isn't necessary because Suicune still hits Swampert pretty hard with Surf almost 3HKOing it. Breloom also takes care of Swampert by just scaring it away and giving you either a free Substitute or Spore:

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Surf

I recommended this set because HP Grass is just such a waste where it only his Swampert, while Surf hits everything else that is Rock- and Ground-. This set is pretty much walled by Vaporeon completely, but Cresselia benefits for that reason too. Cresselia also does a phenominal job countering Gyarados with Charge Beam. This Suicune takes advantage of hits high defenses and Calm Mind and letting it rip through teams for late game sweep.

Snorlaxe already recommended a Heatran set so I won't suggest anything else, you're team already looks solid.

Good luck with the team.

I'm not much of a rater but what I do know is Sludge bomb has poor coverage. Thunderbolt or HP Fire would be much better for Gengar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)