Serious Hearing loss

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, I'll cut right to the chase: On my way back to California to head to college, I found myself with a sudden onset of tinnitus (ringing in ears). Given my history of having listened to loud music through headphones during high school, as well as going to concerts without hearing protection, my best guess is that this sudden tinnitus is a symptom of delayed-onset noise-induced hearing loss. This would make sense as I now find myself frequently having to ask people to speak up & having to sit at the front of the classroom due to having a hard time hearing what people are saying; the latter case is especially bad as I've generally had to sit at the back of the classroom due to my farsightedness.

So, in general, I need help on a few things:

• Coping with tinnitus (It's slowly getting worse and aggravating my pre-existing anxiety)
  • Preventing further hearing loss (aside from obvious ones like not listening to music so god damn loud & bringing earplugs to concerts)
  • Not having so much trouble hearing conversations/lectures, etc.
Thanks in advance.

GO TO A DOCTOR
This sounds more like you've self diagnosed yourself with web md more than anything else, if you are actually worried about your hearing see a doctor. I used to have extreme ear infections and nearly non-existent ear drums and even today I have hearing equivalent to a sixty year old but I turned out fine because I got to a doctor before my ears were fully destroyed.

If shit gets really bad then what can I say? You'll have to get a hearing aid. If you explain your plight in lecture halls and stuff you'll probably be allowed to sit closer to the front anyway. As for the tinnitus, again see your doctor.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
GO TO A DOCTOR
This sounds more like you've self diagnosed yourself with web md more than anything else, if you are actually worried about your hearing see a doctor. I used to have extreme ear infections and nearly non-existent ear drums and even today I have hearing equivalent to a sixty year old but I turned out fine because I got to a doctor before my ears were fully destroyed.

If shit gets really bad then what can I say? You'll have to get a hearing aid. If you explain your plight in lecture halls and stuff you'll probably be allowed to sit closer to the front anyway. As for the tinnitus, again see your doctor.
I've always had bad hearing; it's just especially bad now.

I'll see a doctor, but I do have reason to suspect hearing damage given my history of loud music etc. (i.e. it's a little better than just a WebMD self-diagnosis)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)