Havak's 50+ Win / 3 Loss Team (First DP RMT)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hard to believe this is my first D/P RMT, but here it goes I guess.

Well, since I'm out of the major tournament I used this team in, I couldn't see much harm in finally posting this. I've won a good 50+ games with this team, I rarely go on Shoddy to be honest, but I just found myself constantly winning with this team. I finally lost to husk with it, and zerowing soon after. Though admittedly I probably should have won both games, but more on that later. My only comprehensive defeat was from Lee, his team was awesome. My team may be a bit "standard" but the way I use it generally isn't. It involves a lot of prediction and revenge killing in order to work, but it's just a great combination.

Team at a glance

The Team

Gengar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
---
I've loved Gengar ever since I was a wee boy and I wanted to try a ScarfGar lead, so I did. I don't think I really need Hidden Power [Ice] as the rest of my team is already pretty well equipped to take down the likes of Salamence, Garchomp & Dragonite. Pretty standard stuff really, 90% of the time it'll give me the edge at the start of the battle, which a Lead should do, right?

Leafeon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Leaf Guard
EVs: 134 HP / 160 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Leaf Blade
- Quick Attack
---
I actually just picked a random Pokémon I hadn't used before, then built my team around it. Leafeon was that Pokémon, and as you can probably tell the rest of the team works well around her. Pretty standard Swords Dance Pass set up, but I chose Quick Attack for some surprise kills on faster things. When the Swords Dance pass to Metagross works, I usually end up winning the game right there. I've done this many a time with Celebi, but Leafeon is just something different to use.

I'm actually thinking of replacing Quick Attack, but I'm not sure what for yet. Roar & Wish are two options that come to mind.

Heatran (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Flamethrower
---
ScarfTran is awesome. I just use max Speed so I can beat other ScarfTran, are those HP EVs really doing anything? Fire Blast missing has screwed me so many times in the past when using Heatran, so I just had to use Flamethrower this time. Rest of the set is pretty obvious, Dragon + Fire + Ground hits everything, I wanted more cover against Water types so I just stuck on Hidden Power [Electric] as my other move.

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Def / 58 SAtk / 96 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
I wanted some form of defence, and more aid agianst the likes of Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Mamoswine & Gyarados. Cresselia is a great counter to all of them, so I just had to use it. I always try to use a Sleep Talker as well, since opening Breloom and Gengar are always a worry, getting that Sleep status out of the way is a huge relief. Cresselia is a fucking master at taking hits, I love it.

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
---
I was a bit worried about Heracross, so obviously just shove Gliscor in, job done. Was thinking Aerial Ace, but Stealth Rock is just too good to pass up. I fucking hate Focus Sash with a passion, so I like to get those Rocks up. As you can see I also have a few priority moves and 2 Scarfers to deal with things as well, Focus Sash being one worry. Gliscor also helps with Tyranitar most of the time, as well as pretty much any Physical Pokémon that's not mixed (bar a few such as Gallade, Weavile, Medicham etc). Good pairing with Cresselia to be honest, the two have dealt with most things so far.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Atk / 16 Def / 10 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- ThunderPunch
---
I love this. Everyone seems to expect me to be Choice Banded. So usually they think they can finish me off after switching in on one of my attacks, but I can switch to Bullet Punch to pick them off. It also helps if I think my opponent is going to set up, after switching in on one attack that wouldn't 2HKO and they think I have to switch, but I just fucking whack them on the set up. If I don't KO, Bullet Punch usually does it. Shuca Berry can be a Godsend helping to beat Tyranitar & Garchomp more often, but Leftovers is great in the longrun, even if it does give away the no Choice Band surprise earlier.
---

Overview

Generally I'd find myself firing off a Hypnosis first with Gengar, but sometimes if the risk is too great Cresselia is the regular first switch in. If I get the Hypnosis, I'll usually go straight to Gliscor in hope of getting Stealth Rock on board early. This is what I try to do early on, and force switches with Gengar / Heatran in hope of getting some damage done. I'll try to get as much damage in as possible and play around until I find an opening for Leafeon. Metagross will usually finish off games for me, but Heatran and Cresselia have done so quite often too.

I didn't see the need for a Spinner, as I have no weaknesses to Stealth Rock, plus a resist. Three of my Pokémon are immune to Spikes, and five are immune to Toxic Spikes. The team is more offensive, so taking a turn to spin can put me right back on the defensive. I'll only go on the defensive when I have to, which is generally once I revenge kill something on the opponents team. I can generally manage with most forms of status too.

The team relies on prediction a lot, like most offensive teams, so one wrong move can often leave me really up against it. Though, that doesn't really happen too often. Resistance is key, I tried to let my team cover eachothers weaknesses, I can usually find a safe switch in to anything.

As I said earlier, my only losses have come to husk, zerowing & Lee. Against husk, Focus Blast enivitably missing really messed me up, and a bad prediction on my part completely threw the game away. Against zerowing, Meteor Mash missing when I had +4 Atk and sweep pretty much done and dusted cost me the game, along with a critical hit on Gliscor. Against Lee, I played pretty bad against his unique Mismagius, but bad in general really. Getting both my Scarfers Paralysed was silly of me, so my teams revenge killing capabilites were almost gone. But to be fair, he actually outplayed me for the majority of the game and was IMO, the first person to 100% deserve the win he got over me while using this. I can't say for sure I would've beaten husk & zerowing, but they probably would've been a lot closer than 4-0.

Problem Pokémon

Magnezone - This is purely a theorymon, as I haven't faced the version I think will trouble me most yet. Which is one with Substitute / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice / Thunder Wave. I'd imagine it can get in on Cresselia & Leafeon basically all of the time, and set up a sub. Then I'm more than likely, fucked. So, my only remote plan is to sacrifice Heatran, hitting Magnezone with Flamethrower or Earth Power to break the sub, and get Paralysed. Then later on I'd have to predict well and go straight to Gengar / Heatran whenever I bring in Leafeon on Cresselia. Anyway, Magnezone will be a big worry.

Heatran - Can be a big problem. I'll almost always use Earth Power first with my own Heatran, against whatever my opponent has out, just so I can get rid of theirs if they have it. If my opponent does get their Heatran in on my Flamethrower, I'll usually stay in, since most players will want to make the most of their Flash Fire boost, which will fail against my Heatran obviously. Another advantage to Flamethrower is more people do stick with Fire Blast, so I can outstall them if they're Scarfed/Specs'd and want to stay in too.

To be honest, not much else that I've found just yet. I thought Tyranitar, opposing Gengar, Mismagius and a few others could cause me big problems, but from experience they really don't. Tangrowth can be annoying if it hasn't slept anything and has Knock Off, but it's easy to beat once it has. Medicham and Gallade require a lot of prediction to beat, but to be honest they can tear through almost anything anyway.

I'm not going to do a threat list, as my team isn't meant to "cover everything" since I think it's too much effort to "try", and probably fail, to cover everything with a rather offensive team in D/P. I just like to play, and stall bores me.

So, what do you think? Any criticism, advise, ideas, questions etc are all welcome :)

I really really love how this team can absorb all 4 status inducers. That gives it some great defensive power between a team of all offensive Pokemon.

The only thing that I feel this team is missing is a phaser. That would really help you eliminate the Magnezone threat.

I honastly thing Drapion (sry about spelling) would be an excellent replacement for Gliscor. It can Whirlwind and Roar Poke for an nice phasing element and also throw down Toxic Spikes. Since the only other status you are throwing down is on your lead, those spikes could really help you out. EDIT: Gallade/Medicham is also owned by this poke.

But hey, I am a bit of a sucker for stalling teams. This team is quite solid though, overall one over the better ones posted in RTM in some time.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm, while that's a good idea, I think it'd open up too much of a Ground weakness. Gliscor can usually stand up to a lot of Tyranitar and Garchomp sets, and I do prefer my Stealth Rock to be up.

I think it'd put too much pressure on Leafeon, which I don't think it can handle. It'd also ruin my SD Pass more often than not I'd imagine..

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's a good looking team. I would like to know how you deal with Yanmega though. Heatran has no form of recovery, and will get worn down very quickly, which will leave you pretty open to a Bug Buzz / Air Slash / HP Ice Yanmega. Of course, most offensive teams have trouble with Yanmega.

Scarf Dugtrio will take out Heatran and Magnezone, but I'm not sure if you want to use it. Tyranitar can also take both of them, depending on how your team feels about SS. Tyranitar over Metagross could be interesting I think.

Havak

Havak, how do you beat pure stall? O_O

You have absolutely nothing that I would classify as a "wall breaker," nor do you have Rapid Spin to keep them layers of Spikes/Rocks off your field. Over the long run, that single layer of SR *will* still wear you out, in my opinion.
I really don't know how I manage it. Most of the time I guess I just wear them out enough and Leafeon + Metagross take it from there. Stall teams are usually slow and don't have much of an answer to a Metagross with a Swords Dance boost or two.

I did want to try MixMence somewhere, and I usually do have a mixed sweeper or two on my teams. But I thought I'd be different for once and it is working...

Hmm, while that's a good idea, I think it'd open up too much of a Ground weakness. Gliscor can usually stand up to a lot of Tyranitar and Garchomp sets, and I do prefer my Stealth Rock to be up.
Thats true. If Gengar packed Hp Ice to deal with Chomp in tandem with its ability, maybe things would be different.

And why not replace Leafyon with Scizor? He can Baton Pass all the same, recover and dish out hits. With a mere 50 or so Sp Def Ev's this thing could even be used to wall and Hp Ice/Bug Buzz/AirSlash Yanmega and then set up as it switches out. I mean, after one SD, it would have no problem taking out Yanmega with most technician boosted moves.

EDIT: Between Scizor Baton Passing to Metagross that just asking for trouble, Scizor is a fire Pokemon magnet, but so is Leafeon.....

I really don't know how I manage it. Most of the time I guess I just wear them out enough and Leafeon + Metagross take it from there. Stall teams are usually slow and don't have much of an answer to a Metagross with a Swords Dance boost or two.
Skarmory comes to mind...

I find that the two of the best ways to wall break are toxic and taunt, both of which can go on leafeon and gliscor, maybe?

Nice team, though.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Putting Taunt on Leafeon over QA could help with your aforementioned Skarmory/stall issues.

EDIT: oops, I thought Leafeon got Taunt along with Umbreon =\

ignore this post

Havak

Yeah I was thinking Roar, and also Yawn. But with a Gengar lead Yawn is pretty useless. I guess I'd be best off trying Roar out for a while, it'll probably be used more often than Quick Attack..

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Looks alot like my team: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37173

Check it out. It shares alot of things with this team (including the lead lol), only I use Gliscor for passing instead of Leafeon, and I have another BP target in Mamoswine. On my Scarf Gar, I chose HP Fighting over Focus Blast relibility killing Weavile. Tar isn't getting killed by Focus Blast anytime soon. I also use Rock Polish on my Metagross, and what not. Not accusing you of copying or anything (hell you could have made this before I made mine for all I know) but I think it would be helpful for you to check out.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you make any change here, it should definately be Roar > Quick Attack on Leafeon because that's pretty much the main reason to be using him over Celebi. If I was to just break down your team into the Leafeon-Metagross combo (which seems to be your most dangerous card), I'm just a little worried that they both share a Fire weakness. For that reason, I think you'd get more milage out of Occa Berry > Shuca Berry, especially since you're already surviving Adamant CB Duggy's Earthquake 100% of the time. It's not perfect, but it's a compromise, unless you wanna start running a fire resist like Garchomp over Metagross (and I know you love Metagross too much for that). And I love Bullet Punch Metagross, but I'm wondering if you ever considered Agility just to help guarantee the sweep? There's still a lot of folk out there who can take down a +2 Atk Metagross such as Infernape, Heatran, fast sleepers etc. I dunno...has there been many situations where you would of appreciated Agility > Bullet Punch.

As for your achilles heel, I agree that you're a little vuleranable around Magnezone and Heatran, but another real worry is CB Weavile. Pursuit OHKO's Gengar regardless of switch and is easy pickings if he locks himself into Shadow Ball. Gliscor is OHKO'd, Cresselia is torn apart...Leafeon has a small chance of survival and Metagross can only take so many Night Slashes. Heatran's an alright counter if he manages to avoid Brick Break. You're gonna have to predict well around that gal, but fortunately you have 3 Pokemon able to revenge kill her and SR racks up quickly against Weavile.

I quite like the team though...it's pretty standard but with an obscure UU thrown in to mix things up and I always find that to be a good formula if you know what you're doing. Good job.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Roar is really good on Leafeon in this situation, as it phazes out Skarm before it does anything to it. Choice Scarf on both Heatran and Gengar helps you alot against random SDWeavile's which would usually sweep you once Gross is dead. Anyway I can't see alot wrong with this team, although MixTar (EQ, Crunch, Ice Beam, Fire Blast) hits every member of your team super effective. Lucky for you it isn't too fast, but if one Agility was passed to it, then without Gengar you are swept.

You are right about Heatran being a problem, and it looks like you might also have a problem with Water types. Leafeon has pretty bad Sdef so it can't exactly switch into Surfs freely, and a Calm Mind Suicune will easily beat Cresselia one vs one and proceed to sweep your team if you have already used your Hypnosis (it might still sweep if it has sleep talk or if you can't stop it before it wakes up). edit: I'm not sure how hard Leafeon hits it though so I might be wrong here.

Celebi can also pass Swords Dance/Baton Pass, is unpredictable, and can switch into Water types even when they have Ice Beam with Leech Seed (but I doubt it will fit on the set if you want an attack too). It also has access to Recover which means you might be able to pull it off a second time (to Gliscor possibly if you keep him).

In my opinion Metagross would work better with Rock Polish over Bullet Punch (if the damage isn't enough you can use Life Orb too...), as then you won't be revenge killed with ease by Heatrans and Infernapes. Hopefully this will allow you to sweep for longer against offensive teams. If you do make this change I suggest editing your EV spread so you outspeed ScarfChomp (get to 456 speed) after a Rock Polish.

Both of your listed 'Problem Pokemon' are solved by using something that can take special hits and use a Ground move, something like Swampert comes to mind but where it would fit I am not sure (maybe over Gliscor with the same set except Rest/Roar/Protect over Roost). Lack of recovery there could be a problem!

These are just ideas and I don't want to reiterate what others have said, I hope at least one is useful to you!

If you think magnezone is that big of a problem for you, just wait 'till you see one that gets a speed/special attack boost from a random other poke. Lategame medicham and mamoswine could be problems. Medicham with the punches and HJK and Mamo if he has Avalanche (wich I prefer over ice fang).

My thought here is that having 2 Scarfed Pokemon can set you up to be a bit limiting later on. Maybe a Life Orb on Gengar, or Specs on Heatran? Just some thoughts.

My thought here is that having 2 Scarfed Pokemon can set you up to be a bit limiting later on. Maybe a Life Orb on Gengar, or Specs on Heatran? Just some thoughts.
If a scarf is limiting, specs are too. He has scarf on gengar to surprise and not get killed by weavile or whatever (I think).

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You're relying way too heavily on Cress to stop multiple high power sweepers. It'll work fine if only one of those sweepers is present, but anyone using two or three of them could cause you quite some trouble.

IMO, you should use Roar over QA on Espeon, allowing you to PHaze Pokemon attempting you PHaze your attacks first.

You're relying way too heavily on Cress to stop multiple high power sweepers. It'll work fine if only one of those sweepers is present, but anyone using two or three of them could cause you quite some trouble.

IMO, you should use Roar over QA on Espeon, allowing you to PHaze Pokemon attempting you PHaze your attacks first.
You mean leafeon. And I agree; against a SS team moolight cress is worthless because it only heals 1/3 of your life in a SS, and against garchomp (in a SS) both are worthless since garchomp would be able to SD and you have a 1/3 chance of hitting.

What can your team do to a Roaring Zapdos ? It'll just outstall your entire team and will toally fuck up your SD-pass strategy - Resists everything Metagross can throw at him and just HP Ices Leafeon

Heatran can't take Thunderbolts forever, Cress will just be Roared away and Pressure will totaly eat Charge Beam and Ice Beam's PP. Explosion Heatran maybe could help, I think you have Gyarados well covered with Cress, ScarfGar, Leafeon and Metagross.

nice team, btw.

You are right about Heatran being a problem, and it looks like you might also have a problem with Water types. Leafeon has pretty bad Sdef so it can't exactly switch into Surfs freely, and a Calm Mind Suicune will easily beat Cresselia one vs one and proceed to sweep your team if you have already used your Hypnosis (it might still sweep if it has sleep talk or if you can't stop it before it wakes up). edit: I'm not sure how hard Leafeon hits it though so I might be wrong here.

Celebi can also pass Swords Dance/Baton Pass, is unpredictable, and can switch into Water types even when they have Ice Beam with Leech Seed (but I doubt it will fit on the set if you want an attack too). It also has access to Recover which means you might be able to pull it off a second time (to Gliscor possibly if you keep him).

In my opinion Metagross would work better with Rock Polish over Bullet Punch (if the damage isn't enough you can use Life Orb too...), as then you won't be revenge killed with ease by Heatrans and Infernapes. Hopefully this will allow you to sweep for longer against offensive teams. If you do make this change I suggest editing your EV spread so you outspeed ScarfChomp (get to 456 speed) after a Rock Polish.

Both of your listed 'Problem Pokemon' are solved by using something that can take special hits and use a Ground move, something like Swampert comes to mind but where it would fit I am not sure (maybe over Gliscor with the same set except Rest/Roar/Protect over Roost). Lack of recovery there could be a problem!

These are just ideas and I don't want to reiterate what others have said, I hope at least one is useful to you!
I agree with Earthworm, but you can also use a Blissey and outstall the Magnezone and Heatran. The only problem I see is with Blissey, Heatran can kill it with the Taunt + Explosion Set and it can be 2HKO'd by Specs Fire Blast. I'd probably go with Swampert, seeing as how it is unaffected by T-Bolt and HP Ice from Magnezone, and Earth Power + Fire Blast from Heatran. Without a recovery move though, Swampert might be a problem, so it is pretty much your chose on the matter.

Swampert or Blissey are your choses for a counter to your main problems.

Overall, your team looks great. You also have a way of taking all of the 4 status inducers, like the first poster after you said.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On Lefeon, Wish sounds... good. Actually Roar sounds kind of decent since he's faster than the vast majority of PHazers, but Skarmory still fudges the strategy due to Brave Bird.

I guess to me the problem with this team is why you don't opt for Ice Punch on Metagross, as that would easily help tear through Zapdos and Gliscor to certain extents. Not that Gliscor walls your team, but Roosting Zapdos can cause some major pain to the team, especially if Leafeon fails to pass those Swords Dance boosts to Metagross, and it's not like he'll be doing a lot of harm. I guess Cresselia is the save point for facing down Zapdos so...

This is just my opinion, but two Choice Scarf Pokemon seem... major overkill? Gengar is fine, but I think Heatran would be a better SleepTalker in this situation, and if you're scared about Magnezone and Dugtrio, Shed Shell is a decent option for Heatran.

You're team is great defense-wise, but offense you might struggle a bit, especially against, as said before, heavy stall teams.

Maybe give CB To Metagross and if you passed him a SD or not, Bullet Punch will cover your speed with a priority +STAB+ CB (+SD Boost), making this a real trouble to everything (FCK Skarmory, Heatran and all Other Steels)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)