Hauppague HD PVR Questions

I don't think this belongs in the Troubleshooting thread because I haven't technically ran into problems yet, and it shouldn't go in the software thread because its not a piece of software. tl;dr I think this in the right place

I might get a Hauppauge HD PVR. However, there are a few questions I'd like to ask first and I'm not keen about e-mailing them for various reasons. So to HD PVR owners / tech savvy people, please help.

One: Can it record Wii?

I'm 99% positive the answer to this is yes, and even if it didn't my primary purpose would be to record Xbox gameplay anyway so yeah.

Two: Compatibility with Mac?

I'm sure that the video itself is fine for Mac but is there some software that comes with it that is necessary for use but does not work with Mac? If so, shouldn't I be able to just use imovie or whatever. Again, this shouldn't really be a problem because there is a PC in my house, but its not mine so I'd prefer Mac compatibility.

Three: Commentary?

Say I wanted to do a "Let's Play x" series of videos. Would I be able to plug headphones in somewhere (in the PVR presumably) and record my commentary as I play, or would I have to transfer the video to my computer first and then record commentary over the file? Would I need a certain cable to do this?

Thank you and excuse my technology illiteracy.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes it will record Wii and it is compatible with OSX. A post on another board says to use HDPVRCapture in OSX instead of EyeTV. I doubt you'd be able to record sound from both you and the game system at the same time. If you don't want game sound, you should be able to do it by just plugging in a mic to the audio input instead of the game system. Otherwise, I'd get something else to record your voice as you play then combine the files using iMovie or Final Cut Pro.

Thank you that pretty much answers all my questions.

Now I just need something to record my voice with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)