XY OU Has he done Enter Mega Mence yet?

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion

Yo! What's up guys, you got Pokeaim here, coming at you with a new RMT! Anyway, before Mence got the boot and even before OR/AS was released I did a series on my channel called "Enter: Mega (insert name here)." The final Mega of that series was Mega Salamence. This was for many reasons but to keep it short, Mence was the strongest and most broken Mega, from ORAS, by far. This team got really popular on the ladder and even though its era is done, i felt the need to RMT it as it popularized Knock Off Mamoswine as well as generic builds for Mence so enjoy!

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 56 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Substitute
- Roost

Naturally, I wanted to build my team around M-Mence. Looking at all the options I decided that the Sub Dragon Dance set was by far the easiest to use and abuse in OU. A lot of players thought that they could Volt-Switch out with their defensive Rotom-W against a sub and go out into their check to deal with M-Mence. I didn't want this to happen so I decided on a really bulky spread that would allow me to set up on even Rotom-W. 248 HP evs allow me to switch into Stealth Rock four times. The 56 SpD was put so minimal investment Rotom-W has no chance of breaking my Substitute, equaling to more Dragon Dances for me. With M-Mence's natural ability to set up on half the metagame and its bulk to survive most hits, I decided against putting more speed than Choice Scarf Landorus-T as I could set up on that anyway. I decided on 52 speed as it would allow me to outspeed max speed M-Sceptile, M-Lopunny and M-Manectric at +1. The rest was thrown into attack so I could abuse "stab" Frustration. Frustration was chosen over Return just incase my opponents had Ditto as they would be punished if it loved them. Most games I loved to just spam M-Mence early and weaken teams so I could then Healing Wish it back up later and late game sweep as well.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Sub D-Dance M-Mence failed to beat Skarmory unless it was 1 v 1 so i decided that Magnezone would make a great second slot. The ability to trap and remove one of M-Mence's "counters," honestly you should say checks, made it even easier for a Mence sweep. To a lesser extent Zone helped with Ferrothorn as well, though set-up fodder for M-Mence. HP Fire allowed my other teammates in Greninja and Latias to also hit hard with their checks gone. Magnezone also helped in checking Mamoswine, a threat to Mence, as well as bird spam, if Talonflame is not running a Jolly Nature. I decided on Choice Scarf for those afformentioned reasons.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Ah Greninja, arguably the most broken Pokemon in OU atm. I wanted a pokemon who would deal with Zapdos as well as check the Lati twins and Greninja fit that role well. Naive was chosen over Hasty for priority (weak Aqua Jets/Sucker Punches) reasons. Gunk Shot, a new toy that made Greninja even better in ORAS, allowed me to immediately deal with Azumarill and Clefable for M-Mence to have an easier time setting up. Dark Pulse was chosen as the final slot to help vs Stall Breaker Mew and Stored Power M-Latias, who would set up on Ferrothorn and Zone, and annoy my team. I've also used Grass Knot in that slot to help check other Greninja as well. HP Fire also deserves a mention but was taken out due to my Mamoswine moveset. I used Greninja to pivot from my own Ferrothorn vs opposing Greninja as I could scout for HP Fire and, knowing for sure that i outspeed if they had it, retaliate back with a Hydro Pump.

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

My team lacked a solid Fairy and Dragon switch in, namely Azumarill, and Magnezone was not cutting it. This is where Ferrothorn joined the squad! Ferrothorn allowed me a solid Azumarill switch in as well as Lati and to a lesser extent, Greninja. I didn't want to use Rocky Helmet or Leftovers as Magnezone + M-Mence was becoming a popular core so I decided on Shed Shell. With Leech Seed and Protect, Ferrothorn is able to scout what moves opposing Magnezone lock themselves into and I can switch appropriately. Gyro Ball was chosen over Power Whip just so M-Mence could not 100% set up on me for free. This also helped a lot vs the Lati twins. Ferrothorn became a staple on my team to also help with Rain teams since M-Swampert was getting some usage. I decided on Spikes over Stealth Rock as I wanted to abuse Greninja + Volt Switch on Magnezone even more and the passive damage that, "that lil spike" could get in was incredible.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

My team lacked Stealth Rock as well as a solid M-Mence check and Mamoswine could do both! I decided on Adamant Nature for the extra damage I could do to Ferrothorn as well as Mence itself. Focus Sash was the item of choice as with Healing Wish and Defog support, it helped me check Greninja. My final move was decided because i noticed that a Shed Shell Skarmory could give my team problems as it evades being trapped by Magnezone and shuffles around my remaining members. Knock Off was a very interesting choice as Mamoswine is the prime Skarmory and Rotom-W lure. Getting rid of those Leftovers/Shed Shells made it a lot easier for my M-Mence to plow through teams. Mamoswine in general was used to weaken opposing teams with its powerful stab, allowing Pokemon like Latias to just "drop dracos" when opposing steels were removed.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

I knew right away that Latias would be the pokemon to round up the squad. The Defog and Healing Wish support was very crucial. As said earlier, it allowed me to play M-Mence incredibly reckless early on, knowing that I could bring him back later with a Healing Wish. The 72 HP evs allowed me to survive Greninja's Ice Beam and knock it out with Draco Meteor after. Latias also served as a great Keldeo, Rotom-W and Landorus switch in. Getting rid of hazards was crucial for my Mamoswine as it allowed it to survive to check Greninja as well as taking on opposing M-Mence. I went max speed to tie with opposing Lati's. Latias was the glue that held this team together.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 56 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Frustration
- Substitute
- Roost

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

Closing Words: This team is definitely not perfect, but it got the job done. It was so easy to set up with M-Mence to plow through teams. Fortunately that monster was banned haha. I want to give a huge shout out to my IDM Boys, East Boys, Wolfpack, Lilycove Cruisers, Smogon frens, my YouTube frens and every subscriber who watched me climb the ladder with this behemoth. Thanks for reading :]

Last edited:

peng

policy goblin
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Any particular reason for using Magnezone over Magneton? Outspeeding Greninja / Talon looks like a decent trade for the loss of bulk, unless there's anything you outright can't beat without the extra SAtk?

cute

Pent

dumb broad
I'm 100% Mega Salamence got banned.
I doubt you even read the intro, did you?

Hey Aim! I'm a big fan of your videos, and watched all of the Enter: Mega Series, and really enjoyed it. I will admit that Megamence and Greninja are broken, and even though this team is technically illegal, you can still use it in Anything. Goes if you truly wanted to. But, I recommend adding a few changes to this team if you wanted to use it in this tier.

First of all, I would change Greninja to an EV Spread of 40 Atk / 216 Sp Atk / 252 Spe with a Naive nature. This guarantees an OHKO to fairies like Sylveon and Azumarill.
Next is Ferrothorn. I would run Power Whip > Spikes since you're using Latias with Defog for your team. Wasting your time to set up Spikes, then having to Defog them away is a HUGE bummer, and I don't think you want to do this. This also helps you with Rotom-Wash. Another pontential Move would be Thunder Wave, do cripple Pokemon like Greninja and Sceptile.

Other than that, this team is great, and I loved how it worked out on camera.

Hope it helps!

Reactions: aim
Legendary team, not much to say here.
Have you considered Mega Altaria over Salamence? it's no megamence (well duh, lol) but has a great type and bulk in order to set up, and powerful fairies moves are as dangerous as flying moves, she also appreciates knock off mamo and Magnezone's support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)