• Earthquake

Pros

• Great HP and Attack
• Access to 3 useful abilities
• Wide movepool

Cons

• 60 in both defenses isn't very good at all
• Very slow
• Without terastalizing, pure Fighting leaves it with only one STAB move.
Terastalize Potential

Tera Fighting - Boosts Hariyama's STAB Close Combat to terrifying levels.

Tera Ground - Boosts Headlong Rush, giving Hariyama a 2nd powerful and reliable STAB move.

Tera Steel - Turns Hariyama's 3 weaknesses into resistances.

Offensive SpD Wall
Hariyama (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant / Careful Nature
- Close Combat
- Headlong Rush
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch / Bullet Punch

Thanks to Assault Vest and full SpD investment, Hariyama's SpD becomes very respectable, and in conjunction with Thick Fat, it's able to reliably counter some powerful OU threats such as Gholdengo, Chien-Pao, Iron Moth, Ceruledge, Specs Dragapult, Glimmora, Volcarona, or Garganacl with Guts Hariyama variants being able to check Skeledirge. Tera Fighting is the preferred tera type in order to boost CC and rip through Ting-Lu, a common lead that Hariyama outspeeds and can threaten. Tera Ground can be ran alternatively to hit Skeledirge, Gholdengo, Toxapex, Ceruledge and Volcarona for more damage. Close Combat is a reliable and powerful STAB move, Headlong Rush and Knock Off provide coverage and can punish switch ins, while Drain Punch is great for providing Hariyama with longevity. Alternatively, Bullet Punch can be used to pick off weakened foes but its incredibly weak and Drain Punch is more desirable.

Last edited:
I have lost once to a Guts BU + Drain Punch Hariayama. Except for Drain Punch and Knock Off, Heracross looks better at that though.

The one set I would use is Restalk + Force Palm + Knock Off, unlike AV this one is durable enough to check what its supposed to check (Chi-Yu and Chien Pao maninly).

Hariyama is surprisingly decent but really gets overshadowed many of the other pokemon out there. It gets worn down fast due to not having reliable recovery outside of rest, entry hazards being on nearly every team. Resttalk sets are generally too passive as well and It also isn't as bulky as it would seem. Great Tusk is largely superior most of the time. Overall is isn't worth the team slot most of the time.

With Chi Yu likely getting the hammer, I'm not sure how useful Hariyama will be after, but he's been fairly reliable as an answer into any variant I've seen. Technically Chi Yu could run Psychic but I don't see any reason Chi Yu wants to run it for any reason other than to hit maybe Glimmora?

I would recommend slashing Drain Punch over Bullet Punch, I've rarely ever wanted to click Bullet Punch and it's nice to have some recovery depending on the game state.

+2 252 SpA Beads of Ruin Tera Fire Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Thick Fat Hariyama: 280-330 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Hariyama Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fire Chi-Yu: 246-289 (98 - 115.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rocks
252+ Atk Hariyama Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chi-Yu: 306-362 (121.9 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Unfortunately going for SpD investments mean you lose to Tera Dark CB Chien Pao Crunch if you switch in, which is pretty common it seems, but its still a decent answer for the mons you listed. I think Hariyama is just threatening enough to make some teams but really requires some support. I think Rest BU or Guts sets just don't work in the metagame but AV seems to be fine.

With Chi Yu likely getting the hammer, I'm not sure how useful Hariyama will be after, but he's been fairly reliable as an answer into any variant I've seen. Technically Chi Yu could run Psychic but I don't see any reason Chi Yu wants to run it for any reason other than to hit maybe Glimmora?

I would recommend slashing Drain Punch over Bullet Punch, I've rarely ever wanted to click Bullet Punch and it's nice to have some recovery depending on the game state.

+2 252 SpA Beads of Ruin Tera Fire Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Thick Fat Hariyama: 280-330 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Hariyama Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fire Chi-Yu: 246-289 (98 - 115.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rocks

252+ Atk Hariyama Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chi-Yu: 306-362 (121.9 - 144.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Unfortunately going for SpD investments mean you lose to Tera Dark CB Chien Pao Crunch if you switch in, which is pretty common it seems, but its still a decent answer for the mons you listed. I think Hariyama is just threatening enough to make some teams but really requires some support. I think Rest BU or Guts sets just don't work in the metagame but AV seems to be fine.

You're totally right, Drain Punch is a great 4th move. I think I'll swap out Bullet Punch for Drain Punch.

Hariyama surprisingly has a niche in ou. I started to realize that when I saw how frequently it was picked in the smogon kickoff draft.

Just a nitpick, I wouldn't include Skeledirge as a mon that av thick fat hariyama checks/counters, as it outspeeds it, burns it, then proceeds to not even get 2hkoed by adamant tera ground headlong unless it's a spdef dirge.

Dirge also likely 2hkoes with hex when you factor in the defense drops, and burn damage ticking everytime it slacks off. If it's the standard fairy tera then even more problematic.

Basically you need a bunch of stuff aligning to check dirge.

Hariyama surprisingly has a niche in ou. I started to realize that when I saw how frequently it was picked in the smogon kickoff draft.

Just a nitpick, I wouldn't include Skeledirge as a mon that av thick fat hariyama checks/counters, as it outspeeds it, burns it, then proceeds to not even get 2hkoed by adamant tera ground headlong unless it's a spdef dirge.

Dirge also likely 2hkoes with hex when you factor in the defense drops, and burn damage ticking everytime it slacks off. If it's the standard fairy tera then even more problematic.

Basically you need a bunch of stuff aligning to check dirge.

Yeah I thought of that before, I just forgot to specify that only Guts Hariyama checks/counters Dirge mb, but yeah you're right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)