SS UU Happier Than Ever [1k post RMT]

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Introduction
Hello, I'm Bandkrook, but most of my friends call me Band! I joined Smogon a little over a year ago, and quickly took interest in UU, as it had a bunch of my favorite Pokémon to use, namely Krookodile, Primarina, and Nihilego. This is my 1k post RMT featuring what I believe to be a good team that can handle most of the meta before the October shift. I'm by no means the best player and definitely not the best builder. This post is more of a celebration of my 1000th post here in Smogon than anything, but I'm also looking forward to any feedback. Let's dive into it!

Teambuilding

I started with ol' reliable Krookodile since it's a very consistent rocker on the types of teams that I like to use. It's a great BO pick that just spams Knock Off and gives me some utility with Taunt.

Aegislash was my next pick here. It's the best Steel-type in the tier now, and even though I love me some SubTox shenanigans, I reconsidered it this time and opted for a set with Flash Cannon. It helps me in my Nihilego matchup, which isn't bad, but can be tricky to work around, and it's also a good Lycanroc-D check alongside Krook's Intimidate support.

Next I added SubCM Primarina. When I tell you this thing wins games, it. wins. games. It abuses a lot of the meta, especially Amoonguss, Kommo-o, and Salamence, and you can check Keldeo just fine between Leftovers and Draining Kiss, so I thought it would fit here.

I noticed I was lacking some answers to stuff like Mamoswine, a more consistent Lycanroc-D and Keldeo switch-in, Toxic Aegislash, Grass-types, Krookodile, etc. Buzzwole and Amoonguss make a good job covering all of these threats while still keeping some offensive pressure with Buzz's insane damage output.

Noivern was then added mainly as a form of Speed control and hazard removal to help Primarina sweep. Also, it's now officially Lily approved.

Closer Look
:xy/krookodile::leftovers:
Lost Cause (Krookodile) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Ground / Dark STAB is quite hard to switch into, and some of the few that can switch in safely, hate getting their items removed, namely Celesteela. Krookodile manages to cripple a lot of the meta with Knock Off, gets to set Stealth Rock against some meta staples like Aegislash and Lycan-D, and it provides some very good Taunt support to prevent stuff like Kommo-o and Amoonguss from setting up hazards or putting something to sleep. It's a very good Psychic immunity and can somewhat handle stuff like Necrozma alongside Primarina.

:leftovers:
Everybody Dies (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 16 SpA / 196 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon
- King's Shield

Aegislash is UU's best Pokémon and of course I needed to have it here. The defensive utility it brings to the team is just completely unmatched by anything in the tier between its stats and incredible typing. It manages to take a hit from virtually anything in the tier at least once and cripple it back so other teammates can have an easier time, for example, it can take an Earthquake from defensive Buzzwole, Toxic it back and make it so my own Buzz and Amoonguss have an easier time dealing with it. On top of Krookodile's Intimidate support, the opposing team is gradually worn down. Modest Shadow Ball hits like a truck and Flash Cannon is used to punish Nihilego from switching in to take a Shadow Ball or Toxic.
:leftovers::xy/primarina:
Oxytocin (Primarina) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def/ 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Draining Kiss
- Scald
Sub CM Primarina manages to still be a huge threat even with a lot of physical attackers in the tier since it takes advantage of a lot of common Pokémon, namely special Salamence, Amoonguss, Aegislash, and Keldeo. It manages to check the former incredibly well despite not being a super defensive set, and it can keep itself healthy pretty easily between Leftovers and Draining Kiss. I still believe the best set is RestTalk, and I absolutely adore using Choice Specs and seeing things drop, but I felt Sub CM was a good balance between defense and offense, since it can boost to hit as hard as Choice Specs while still maintaining some defensive use with Leftovers and EVs. The 224 SpD EVs let Primarina avoid having its Sub broken by Amoonguss at +1 and boost like crazy from there.​

:xy/buzzwole::rocky-helmet:
Your Power (Buzzwole) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 128 Def/ 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Roost

The Buzz is one of the greatest Pokémon we got from the last shift and I'm sad just to think about it rising back to OU since it brings a lot to UU, both offensively and defensively, and with this team it's no different. Buzz basically saves my Mamoswine matchup every single time and helps immensely against stuff that would otherwise threaten me quite a lot, like Lycanroc-D, Swords Dance Aegislash, Obstagoon, and Conkeldurr. It manages to keep constant offensive pressure not being very invested in Atk just because it hits hard like a motherfucker. It's also one of my main answers to counter attack Trick Room teams after Hatterene goes and Cresselia is weakened. Overall, Buzzwole is an integral part of this team and eases up my matchup against the tier a whole lot.​

:xy/amoonguss::rocky-helmet:
Billie Bossa Nova (Amoonguss) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

To complement my defensive backbone, Amoonguss checks Pokémon Buzzwole can't and ones that may overwhelm Primarina, like opposing Primarina, Keldeo, and Toxic Aegislash. I think we've all agreed at this point that sleep is a broken mechanic and Spore is even more broken, since you manage to get free turns almost every time. It does a good job at fishing for poison against stuff like Buzzwole and trading with Lycanroc-D and Krookodile to help Primarina and Aegislash to some extent.

:xy/noivern: :Heavy-Duty-Boots:
GOLDWING (Noivern) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Defog
- Roost

I noticed I was lacking some speed control and despite the Thundurus ban with the Speed tiers going down, you still need some form of it, and I thought Noivern would fit here. It's by no means the strongest or best pick, but it's very very fast, hits reasonably hard, and gives me hazard control, which is basically insanity not running some with this kind of team that relies on switching a lot. Not having U-turn is big cringe but so is not having Flamethrower in Aegiland, so I went with that. Hurricane hits pretty hard and lets me keep pressure on the Grass- and Fighting-types of the tier, like Amoonguss and Mienshao. It's overall a good pick and does the job it needs to do.

Threatlist

:chansey:
This fat fuck is extremely annoying to deal with despite me having Buzzwole since it completely invalidates any Primarina set, which is my main sweeper, and my Aegislash doesn't run Close Combat. Teleport Chansey is even more infuriating to deal with and I basically have to constantly wear it down and force it to use Soft-Boiled. I try to usually bait it in to take a Knock Off, which is hard but improves the matchup a tad bit. It's just generally a pain in the ass despite Buzzwole's presence.

:primarina:
Opposing Sub CM Primarina kinda just wins unless I win the CM war against it or manage to use Toxic on it with Aegislash. It's very tricky to work around, but forcing Sludge Bomb with Amoonguss is the best way to do it. They can't beat you 1v1 unless they Sub as you switch, so I have to watch out for it.

:rotom-heat:
As much as oven is ass right now, I managed to actually make a team weak to it LOL. NP oven just owns as well, but pivot can be dealt with using Krook to block the Volt Switch and switch to Noivern on the Overheat, and both Krook and Primarina can trade with it as well if you manage to somehow do it. If you're having a really hard time with it, Draco Meteor is an option on Noivern over Hurricane.

This is by no means all the Pokemon that threaten this team, only the ones I had most trouble dealing with! I'm not a great builder but I wanted to make something special for my 1k that I myself built. If anyone wants to try the team, the importable is down below!

(click sprites)

To the translations community:
Repu, nem sei como te agradecer direito, mas obrigado por me acolher e me guiar no projeto. Ele me ajudou durante tempos muito difíceis e foi uma distração e um hobby maravilhoso, e continua sendo. Você é um líder e um amigo incrível. Carinhoso, acolhedor, paciente e acima de tudo sempre muito dedicado. Que venham muitas mais traduções e que o projeto só cresça e cresça. E algum dia eu juro me enturmar na sala PT do PS
Mitsuki, vc fede. Mentira te amo. Obrigadão por reclamar das coisas comigo, brigar por quem vai fazer GP, e me zoar. Sei que apesar das brincadeiras vc é alguém que se importa comigo, e só tenho a agradecer. Tudo nosso, irmão. Te amo.
Tico, Ninja, Panda, Mike, Empo, Evelyie, Ropalme sem vocês esse projeto nunca funcionaria tão bem. Em especial Tico, Ninja, Panda e Empo, obrigado por serem esses amigos tão queridos. Sempre carinhosos e dispostos a me ajudar. Amo passar meu tempo com vocês, sério.
Blitz, lol boomer. But seriously, you're one of the coolest guys on this site. I appreciate you so much.
Alpha, Iya, TMan, Winds, LBDC, Corthius, Giokio, Akai, Tuthur, ErPeris, and everyone else. You guys are awesome. Seriously, it makes my day talking about our cultural differences or just chatting about things. The translations discord is my go-to place when I'm feeling burned out or down, because I know I have family there. You guys are some of my best friends here, and I'm eternally grateful for what you all have done and continue to do for the project. THANK YOU!

To the UU community:
Lily, you were the first to welcome me into UU and GOD are you one of the best people on this site. You were always there for me, pushed me to become a better player and encouraged me to be more involved with the community. Thanks to you I got to experience so many things during only one year, from being tutored to becoming an actual QC member, and from being voiced to becoming a moderator. I sincerely can't thank you enough for all you have done for the community and for me, I hope I can be as much for you as you are for me someday!
Esta, stop talking about Umbreon please. Jk. We grew to be such close friends, and I'm super grateful we did. I feel like you and me simply work amazingly well together for some reason?? And that's awesome! Thanks for entrusting me with the Tour Nights project, I swear I loved scheduling even though I suck at timezones LOL. Also want to thank you for pushing me to do my first team tour. It was a very fun experience and I learned a lot. We bounce off of each other really well, be it casual talk or policy discussion, I love spending time with you sharing cute cat pictures and talking about our fucked up sleeping patterns LOL. Love you, man <3
Ava and KM, we also grew closer the past few months, and I'm so glad we did ;w; you guys are super special to me. It's been such a pleasure being able to grow alongside both of you, and seeing the community shift towards a better direction. I love using your wacky and cheesy teams and hate playing against them LOOOOL I hope we can still experience a bunch of stuff together, and I just hope u guys know how much you mean to me.
Jade, you've been a friend that has also been there for me since we started getting closer (#miloagenda). I know how sharp you are but I also believe there's something soft and caring about you on the inside. You're funny as fuck and always a joy to be around, and just know you also mean a lot to me ;w;
Magnum, how far have we come kiddo. Seeing you grow has been nothing but the most satisfying experience on this site. You are always ready to help the community, willing to push things, and most of all, you're not scared to try. That is something I wish I had in me when I first started, lowkey still wish I had now. I can't wait to see how much you'll conquer, and I'm super excited to do this right by your side. You are one of my greatest friends here, and since day one you've gone above and beyond to make me feel at ease. I love you, man <3
BigFatMantis, I hope you still know how much you mean to me. And I hope things can go back to how they were before. You're someone I looked up to a lot when first starting, and growing alongside one of my best friends was simply awesome. I'm sorry things went the way they did, but that's life. We make mistakes, and we grow from them. I hope you can prove you are capable of that. Love you dude
Twilight, Martha, Monky, laevin, Mystras, pif, and Hilo, you guys are all great friends and have helped me in some way or another to be a better community member. I enjoy you guys's company a bunch, and here's to more of Twi holding me at gunpoint to GP stuff.
Askov e hs, valeu por me acolherem na uuwc. Em especial Askov, você é um amor de pessoa e um amigo que eu gosto demais. hs, eu nunca vou superar Rest Amoonguss LOL te amo.

To The Deinos:
Ausma, it all started back when I got Next Best Thing and look where we're at now. You became one my closest friends and someone I cherish every second spent with. You're simply full of joy. I know how much pressure you put on yourself regarding your work on the site, and I just gotta say how proud I am of you to see how far you've come and how stellar your work (both as a forum leader and as an artist!!) and your work ethic are. I LOVE you, you goober. Always have and always will. Here's to so much more for both of us.
Eve, I gotta say how much I appreciate you. You're one of those friends that always improves my mood. I swear someday I'm gonna get into LGPE and spam the brokens so I can feel like I'm a good player! :D
Lei, YOU ARE AWESOME. Seeing your art improve throughout the last couple of months has been incredible!! ;w; I hope you know you can always count on me and you mean a lot to me as a friend.
Lyd, amigo, que prazer é passar meu tempo com vc ;w; vc é uma das pessoas mais legais desse site e minha maior inspiração pra começar a escrever artigos! Eu torço demais pelo seu sucesso viu?
Chloe, Zee, Fusion, Emma, Zeph, Pannu, Violet, Abhi, all of you are fucking awesome and make the server an extremely enjoyable place. It really wouldn't be the same without you all!

To Smogon Friends
May, I simply can't put into words how much respect I have for you. Seeing your accomplishments both on this site in the RBY community and in life, growing and learning, is amazing. I strive to be as dedicated and mature as you, and you're a very important friend to me, I hope you know that!!!
Max, you are the kindest guy I've ever met, and I think you're such a role model for all users who strive to be good contributors while being incredible people.
Ununhexium, we kinda stopped seeing each other but I really enjoyed talking to you, man. Hope we can come back to that. Don't think about the coconut crabs!!!
Lumari, I really wish we would start talking more, I've heard nothing but nice things about you!
Kris, i will listen to more hyperpop and Paramore
Ticken, Jolly Togekiss, Estronic, DC, Zneon, Finland, and deetah, all of you are super cool and here's to us working together more!

So that's it, I hope I haven't forgotten anyone, and if I did, I'm sorry lol this took days to make. If you've reached this far, thanks! Smogon means a lot to me, it's a place where I've met so many wonderful people and grew a lot in the past few year, and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon too!
Until next time, friends :3​

Last edited:

avarice

greedy for love
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
Yo Band thanks for the shoutout it's great being friends w u, lookin forward to more good times :]. This team is pretty standard already but I think can be tweaked a bit to be more consistent and strengthen the matchup against Pokemon like Chansey you currently struggle with.

Major Changes
:noivern: -> :salamence:
GOLDWING (Salamence) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Roost
Salamence's bulk is pretty valuable and with no Thundurus-I in the tier being slower than Noivern is not an issue. I opted for Hurricane Flamethrower as the coverage since while Rotom formes can be annoying without Draco Meteor, you have enough room to outplay with Krookodile and Amoonguss behind Salamence. Hurricane is nice for the Keldeo matchup and puts less pressure on Amoonguss without compromising Primarina's health.

Minor Changes
:krookodile:
Lost Cause (Krookodile) (M) @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
Krookodile has a surprising amount of staying power with Leftovers and smart gameplay. Taunt does help make progress and stop set up, but Toxic is typically the better option. Toxic can prevent sweepers like Kommo-o from getting out of hand while crippling Pokemon like Buzzwole and Tangrowth.
:aegislash:
Everybody Dies (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
Specially Defensive Aegislash has honestly gone downhill, it's really easy to play around if it lacks investment. This mixed Swords Dance set spams Shadow Ball and can use Close Combat to tear apart Chansey and Umbreon. Revealing only Swords Dance can bait Pokemon like Physically Defensive Tangrowth into a brutal Shadow Ball too.
:buzzwole:
Your Power (Buzzwole) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
While Noivern's speed is not necessary with the Thunudurus ban, the team does need some form of speed control. Buzzwole is a great Choice Scarf user with how easily it can forfeit its Choice Scarf in slower matchups and be a switchin against Pokemon like Krookodile. Whenever its Choice Scarf needs to be saved for Pokemon like Thundurus-T, Amoonguss makes for a fine Knock Off absorber.
:primarina:
Oxytocin (Primarina) @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Voice
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Snore
- Rest
- Calm Mind
I ripped this from KM (tho ig lily ran it first?) and is a nice balance between standard Calm Mind Primarina and defensive. Snore prevents it from being too passive while Moonblast strength is nice to have on hand to prevent getting steamrolled by Pokemon like Dragon Dance Salamence.

You may have to play more actively with this version but it pays off strengthening your matchups against fat and other bulky offense. You can even bluff Choice Scarf Stealth Rocks Krookodile and regular Buzzwole, which can lure Pokemon like Rotom-H early on. Hope you enjoy this version, appreciate everything you contribute to the forums my man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)