Old Gens [GSC OU] Steelix

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
:gs/steelix:
Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: No Ability
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Roar
- Explosion

Does your team have a glaring weakness to Electric-types like Raikou or Zapdos? Does your team need more breathing room against behemoths like Curse Snorlax and Gengar? Steelix might be the phazer for you! Earthquake threatens Raikou and punishes Gengar if it tries to switch into a predicted Explosion. Curse improves Steelix's offensive presence and lets it fight Curse Snorlax one-on-one. Combined with Explosion, Steelix turns into a threatening wall that nobody wants to mess with; Explosion also lets Steelix take out a foe once it has been heavily chipped. Roar lets Steelix phaze out threats such as Snorlax and Zapdos and force Spikes damage on the opposing team when it comes in on Raikou. This makes Cloyster a great partner for Steelix, as it sets Spikes to make Steelix's Roar more threatening and checks Marowak. Zapdos deals with Water-types such as Cloyster and Vaporeon and can pivot into threats like Machamp and Nidoking. Steelix provides a strong defensive backbone for a team, allowing more space for offensive Pokemon such as Gengar, Jynx, and Machamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
nails Gengar that can come in on Steelix' Explosion
I suggest leaving that out. It makes it sounds as if Explosion is Steelix main attack and EQ the coverage move for Gengar. Or rephrase it to make the intention more clear - "punishes Gengar if it tried to switch into a predicted Explosion" or something similar.

Curse improves Steelix's offensive presence, and lets it win 1-on-1 against Curse Snorlax
It still doesn't really beat Snorlax alone, but it allows it to threaten an Explosion again or to have a boosted Steelix in vs something else after using Roar. I would say "lets it fight Curse Snorlax 1-on-1" instead of win.

Combined with Explosion, Steelix turns into a threatening wall that no one but Skarmory wants to mess with,
This can be misleading because Steelix can keep setting up on the switch and then Roar Skarmory. Once it is fully setup, it can take out Skarmory with Explosion. This is not even considering the potential Spikes damage it did to other pokemon in the meantime. I'd just leave Skarm out of the analysis.

Roar phazes out threats such as Snorlax and Gengar, and lets it force Spikes damage on the opposing team when it comes in on Raikou.
You already threaten Gengar with Earthquake, mentioning Zapdos would make more sense.

Steelix Attack is extremely lacklustre, so team mates such as Vaporeon, Machamp, Jynx, Exeggutor, and Gengar which force progress onto the opposing team are greatly appreciated.
I think that can be removed or restructured. This Steelix only has Earthquake and Explosion as an attack, so it basically can only explode vs EQ resists if it wants to damage them. Because of this, Steelix is more of an offensively oriented support pokemon than a sweeper. Synergy wise, it is hard to list good team mates for Steelix because almost any offensive pokemon can work with it.
Zapdos and Cloyster are staples with Steelix so those should stay.

Neko

is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
I suggest leaving that out. It makes it sounds as if Explosion is Steelix main attack and EQ the coverage move for Gengar. Or rephrase it to make the intention more clear - "punishes Gengar if it tried to switch into a predicted Explosion" or something similar.

It still doesn't really beat Snorlax alone, but it allows it to threaten an Explosion again or to have a boosted Steelix in vs something else after using Roar. I would say "lets it fight Curse Snorlax 1-on-1" instead of win.

This can be misleading because Steelix can keep setting up on the switch and then Roar Skarmory. Once it is fully setup, it can take out Skarmory with Explosion. This is not even considering the potential Spikes damage it did to other pokemon in the meantime. I'd just leave Skarm out of the analysis.

You already threaten Gengar with Earthquake, mentioning Zapdos would make more sense.

I think that can be removed or restructured. This Steelix only has Earthquake and Explosion as an attack, so it basically can only explode vs EQ resists if it wants to damage them. Because of this, Steelix is more of an offensively oriented support pokemon than a sweeper. Synergy wise, it is hard to list good team mates for Steelix because almost any offensive pokemon can work with it.
Zapdos and Cloyster are staples with Steelix so those should stay.
These checks were applied FriendOfMrGolem120 :blobnom:

Zapdos deals with Cloyster, Vaporeon, and Skarmory which Steelix cannot handle
I'd just leave Skarm out of the analysis.
Zapdos is a very common team mate for Steelix and I think it's worth to speak about the synergy a bit more. In short: Zapdos checks water types, and can pivot into Cross Chop from Machamp or various ground attacks.

Roar phazes out threats such as Snorlax and Zapdos, and lets it force Spikes damage on the opposing team when it comes in on Raikou.
Cloyster sets Spikes to make Steelix' Roar more threatening and also checks Marowak.
I suggest to structure the analysis so these setences are merged or right after each other. I think that would be smoother.

Neko

Zapdos is a very common team mate for Steelix and I think it's worth to speak about the synergy a bit more. In short: Zapdos checks water types, and can pivot into Cross Chop from Machamp or various ground attacks.

I suggest to structure the analysis so these setences are merged or right after each other. I think that would be smoother.
these are applied, Sorry for the bother ;w;
FriendOfMrGolem120

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Steelix @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Roar
- Explosion

Does your team have a glaring weakness to Electric-types like Raikou or Zapdos? Or dDoes your team need more breathing room against behemoths like Curse Snorlax and Gengar? Steelix might be the phazer for you! Earthquake threatens Raikou, and also punishes Gengar if it trieds to switch into a predicted Explosion. Curse improves Steelix's offensive presence and lets it fight Curse Snorlax 1-on-1one-on-one. Combined with Explosion, Steelix turns into a threatening wall that no one wants to mess with, andbody wants to mess with; Explosion also lets Steelix take out a foe once it has been heavily chipped. Roar phazeslets Steelix phaze out threats such as Snorlax and Zapdos, and lets it force Spikes damage on the opposing team when it comes in on Raikou. This makes Cloyster a great partner for Steelix, as it sets Spikes to make itSteelix's Roar more threatening and also checks Marowak. Zapdos deals with Water-types such as Cloyster and Vaporeon, and can pivot into threats like Machamp and Nidoking. Steelix provides a strong defensive backbone for a team, allowing one to runmore space for offensive Pokemon such as Gengar, Jynx, and Machamp.
GP 1/1

GP Team done

Neko

Steelix @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Roar
- Explosion

Does your team have a glaring weakness to Electric-types like Raikou or Zapdos? Or dDoes your team need more breathing room against behemoths like Curse Snorlax and Gengar? Steelix might be the phazer for you! Earthquake threatens Raikou, and also punishes Gengar if it trieds to switch into a predicted Explosion. Curse improves Steelix's offensive presence and lets it fight Curse Snorlax 1-on-1one-on-one. Combined with Explosion, Steelix turns into a threatening wall that no one wants to mess with, andbody wants to mess with; Explosion also lets Steelix take out a foe once it has been heavily chipped. Roar phazeslets Steelix phaze out threats such as Snorlax and Zapdos, and lets it force Spikes damage on the opposing team when it comes in on Raikou. This makes Cloyster a great partner for Steelix, as it sets Spikes to make itSteelix's Roar more threatening and also checks Marowak. Zapdos deals with Water-types such as Cloyster and Vaporeon, and can pivot into threats like Machamp and Nidoking. Steelix provides a strong defensive backbone for a team, allowing one to runmore space for offensive Pokemon such as Gengar, Jynx, and Machamp.
GP 1/1

GP Team done
Checks implemented, thank you Kris :blobnom:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)