Tournament GSC NU + Vileplume Double Elimination Tournament (Won by MrSoup)

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
(approved by etern)

Hello and welcome to a developmental and for-fun testing tournament, GSC NU + Vileplume! GSC NU has been a very stable tier these past few years, however ever since last year (as seen with this thread) there has been interest in testing out Vileplume, as it is currently an utterly god awful Pokemon in GSC UU and has been for a while. Meanwhile in NU, Gloom is already a decent Pokemon, but it's held back by its middling stats and poor matchups into some top Pokemon. Vileplume would give it a boost, being overall a much stronger Pokemon, but the majority of the current GSC NU playerbase doesn't believe it would be broken due to similar flaws to Gloom, namely matchups into things like Xatu, Fearow, Fire-types, Dewgong, and more.

I already planned to host a GSC NU individual tournament in the NU subforum, however with recent discussion going on in the GSC discord I figured it wouldn't hurt to add on Vileplume for fun and to guage what a new metagame with it would look like. I hope this tournament may spark some more discussion regarding Vileplume and general GSC NU metagaming, and to see more involvement from the NU community too. I encourage all who participate to make posts about their experiences in the NU discord, the GSC discord, and the GSC NU discussion thread (also the NU old gens hub thread but that one is kind of a mess). Hope you all enjoy!

Tournament Rules:
  • Matches will be best-of-three in every round (defined as the first player to win two games, i.e. ties are not counted).
  • All tournament games must be played on Pokemon Showdown!, and all replays of all tournament games must be posted.
  • All matches will be played in the GSC NU format - challenge using this command:
    /challenge gen2nu @@@ +Vileplume
  • This tournament will be double elimination tournament, meaning that once a player loses a game, they will move to a losers bracket instead of being eliminated. Grand finals will be the winner of the winner's bracket vs the winner of the loser's bracket, and the loser's bracket player must win 2 consecutive sets to win the tournament, while the winner's bracket player only needs to win 1.
  • Each round will last at most one week.
  • Resources can be found here: Viability Rankings, GSC NU Discussion Thread, NU Old Gens Discussion, GSC NU Sample teams (note: current sample teams are relatively outdated and we plan on getting them updated once GSCPL IV ends)
  • GSC NU rules/clauses can be found here.
  • All standard Smogon tournament rules apply, and can be found here.
  • Post "in" to sign up!
  • Signups will be open for one week, closing on Sunday, December 3rd 11:59 PM GMT-4 and starting Monday, December 4th

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)