Gen 2 GSC Donphan [DONE]

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
:gs/donphan:
[OVERVIEW]

Donphan is a unique Pokemon in the GSC metagame that finds a small niche thanks to an interesting combination of traits. As a Ground-type with access to the coveted Rapid Spin, it faces competition with the more popular Golem, but Donphan's lack of a secondary typing means it's one of the few Ground-types in OU that lacks a weakness to opposing Ground-type attacks. This gives it favorable matchups against metagame staples such as Steelix, Rhydon, Raikou, Tyranitar, and the aforementioned Golem. Donphan's excellent Defense also allows it to check some non-Curse Snorlax sets despite lacking a Normal resistance, although it doesn't appreciate repeated hits with Spikes in play. Being a spinner with a strong STAB Earthquake means it's extremely risky for Gengar and Misdreavus to try spinblocking against Donphan, making it proficient at keeping Spikes off the field against a variety of teams.

However, Donphan remains an extremely rare sight in GSC because its unique traits are ultimately limited and not without downsides; while it has certain advantages over Golem, Golem remains the more popular choice of Rapid Spin user thanks to its STAB on Rock-type moves and ability to check a wider variety of Snorlax sets, making it less restrictive on teambuilding. Starmie is another stiff competitor to Donphan for teams wanting a spinner that checks common Normal-resistant foes, boasting Recover and an excellent Speed tier as major advantages. Donphan's low Special Defense and frequent inability to fit Rock-type coverage also makes it helpless against two of the most common Pokemon in the tier, namely Zapdos and Cloyster, although its Electric immunity is still great for pivoting around the former.

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rapid Spin
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is simple yet effective, seeking to leverage Donphan's natural defensive profile to check common threats throughout the course of a game. STAB Earthquake gives Donphan solid offensive presence at all times, letting it 2HKO every Ground-weak Pokemon in the metagame besides Steelix without needing Spikes support. It also threatens an immediate OHKO on Gengar and 2HKO on Misdreavus, ensuring Donphan can remove Spikes from the field in peace. Rapid Spin is Donphan's most important supportive tool, letting it clear Spikes from its team's side of the field, which greatly assists grounded teammates such as Snorlax. Rest is Donphan's only form of recovery outside of Leftovers, making it mandatory in order to stay healthy for as long as possible. Sleep Talk is used alongside Rest to limit downtime as much as possible, letting Donphan continuously fire off Earthquakes against targets that might otherwise take advantage of it to rack up Curse boosts, such as Rhydon. Sleep Talk also makes Donphan a decent switch-in against Hypnosis from Ghost-types and Lovely Kiss from Snorlax and Nidoking, although its vulnerability to Jynx and Exeggutor makes it awkward to use as a team's sole sleep absorber.

Team Options
========

RestTalk Donphan's lack of a Normal resistance and inability to fit Roar mean it needs a teammate that can provide both of these tools. Tyranitar is a standout candidate, easily switching into Snorlax and phazing it to negate any Curse boosts; its STAB Rock Slide also dishes out some serious pain against Zapdos and Cloyster, which easily beat Donphan. Raikou is the go-to choice for a dedicated Zapdos check thanks to its Electric resistance and powerful Thunder, and Zapdos itself is a crucial teammate for checking threats that bowl over the Donphan + Tyranitar pairing, such as Heracross and Curse Machamp. As a result, Donphan most commonly finds itself on double-Electric teams that seek to limit Cloyster's opportunities to repeatedly lay Spikes; such teams might refrain from using Starmie for Rapid Spin duty, since it stacks too many weaknesses to opposing Raikou. Skarmory and Misdreavus can take Tyranitar's place on bulkier teams, forming an excellent defensive pairing with Donphan that checks every Snorlax variant on its own, leaving Donphan free to deal with Raikou, Tyranitar, and the Ground-types. RestTalk Donphan also compresses a decent Gengar check and a sleep absorber into one team slot, which can free up a team's Snorlax to run a mono-attacking or mixed set. Thunder Snorlax is especially useful for pestering Skarmory, which Donphan can't scratch at all, and Cloyster. Alternatively, Snorlax can still run a set with Sleep Talk if the team finds itself weak to Jynx.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 3: Hidden Power Rock / Toxic
move 4: Roar / Protect

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is difficult to justify using due to its similarity to Golem's common sets, but it remains useful for teams seeking a Rapid Spin option that matches up better against opposing Ground-types, Tyranitar, and Giga Drain Forretress. Earthquake is Donphan's main source of damage, striking fear into common Ground-weak Pokemon such as Rhydon, Golem, Steelix, and Tyranitar and generally providing good neutral damage. Rapid Spin lets Donphan rid the field of Spikes if it finds an opportunity, which is especially useful because Gengar and Misdreavus want nothing to do with its Earthquake and are thus unlikely to switch in. Hidden Power Rock covers Flying-types that commonly switch into Earthquake looking for free turns, mainly Zapdos but also Dragonite, Moltres, and Charizard; however, Donphan doesn't beat the former two one-on-one despite the super effective coverage. Toxic is a decent alternative that puts much more pressure on Cloyster, letting Donphan punish it for switching in on a predicted Rapid Spin and trying to lay Spikes again; it also has applications against Ground-resistant foes such as Exeggutor and Heracross, and it still applies some pressure to the aforementioned Flying-type targets as well. The last moveslot is somewhat flexible: Roar lets Donphan phaze certain Curse users such as Tyranitar, Steelix, Machamp, and even Snorlax in a pinch before they snowball out of control. Roar in conjunction with Spikes support is also a powerful offensive tool that can quickly rack up chip damage against the opponent's team. Alternatively, Protect lets Donphan maximize its Leftovers recovery, which is especially important, since this set doesn't have room for RestTalk. It's also useful for stalling out Toxic damage and wasting low-PP moves such as Cross Chop from Machamp and Giga Drain from Exeggutor and Forretress, making those threats significantly easier to play around.

Team Options
========

Since this Donphan sacrifices the longevity of Rest for additional offensive coverage, its team should appropriately match the fast pace it wants to play at. Cloyster is an ideal teammate for this set, providing a backup non-Curse Snorlax check, Spikes that Donphan can leverage with Roar, Toxic that Donphan can accentuate with Protect, and even Explosion to lure and remove Zapdos. Tyranitar is an excellent choice for the Normal resistance, phazing, and offensive presence it provides, and Donphan's good matchups against the tier's spinblockers can potentially free it up to run a Curse set. The Donphan + Tyranitar pairing is also useful in that it handles Gengar extremely well and thus reduces the pressure on Snorlax to run a set with Earthquake, giving it more options overall. A mono-attacking Snorlax set with Curse, Rest, and Sleep Talk pairs very well with this Donphan, providing a special sponge, win condition, and sleep absorber in the same team slot. Raikou is a useful teammate for providing extra insurance against Zapdos, and it can also viably run a Sleep Talk set depending on the needs of the team. Gengar can ensure Spikes remain on the field for Donphan's team, check Heracross and Machamp, and pressure nearly the entire tier with its coverage and Hypnosis; it also discourages Steelix and Golem from trying to trade with Donphan via Explosion, which is especially useful if Donphan isn't running Protect.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Donphan's movepool is unimpressive outside of the options already mentioned. Growl is Donphan's best tool for dealing with Snorlax and other Curse users, but Roar is more widely applicable against the Pokemon Donphan commonly finds itself switching into. Donphan can run a Curse set of its own with Earthquake, Hidden Power Rock, and either Roar or Rest, but such a set faces tough competition with the more powerful Rhydon. Hidden Power Fire lets Donphan 2HKO Forretress and annoy Skarmory, but it is useless outside of those matchups, and the massive drop in Donphan's HP DVs impacts its hit-taking ability.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Donphan's lack of STAB on Rock-type moves makes it difficult to avoid inviting Ground-immune Pokemon such as Zapdos, Skarmory, and Dragonite onto the field, all of which can easily threaten it out, phaze it, or set up on it. Moltres and Charizard can also take advantage of a Donphan lacking Hidden Power Rock.

**Curse Snorlax**: Snorlax can exploit Donphan's lack of a Normal resistance if it runs a Curse set, easily overwhelming the RestTalk set with its boosted STAB moves; however, offensive Donphan can at least phaze Snorlax if it carries Roar, and repeated Earthquakes can overwhelm Snorlax if it's carrying Self-Destruct instead of Rest.

**Heracross**: Heracross takes pitiful damage from Donphan's attacks and easily bowls it over with Megahorn; Curse variants can also set up on it unless it has Roar, creating problems for Donphan's team.

**Grass-types**: Exeggutor resists Earthquake and threatens Donphan with either of its STAB moves; RestTalk sets struggle to absorb its Sleep Powder because of this. The much rarer Meganium can also wall Donphan with ease, although it isn't quite as threatening in return since it usually runs physical attacks.

**Cloyster**: Cloyster's stupendous physical bulk and threatening Water-type attacks make it a pain for Donphan to deal with and repeatedly deny Spikes against, forcing the Donphan user to fit Toxic or rely on teammates to help against it. However, Donphan is generally able to outlast the standard Rest-less Cloyster set with smart play, as the latter can be quickly worn down early-game if it's crippled by Toxic or forced to switch into Snorlax repeatedly.

**Jynx**: Jynx can neutralize Donphan for long stretches of the game with Lovely Kiss, and similar to Exeggutor, RestTalk sets struggle to absorb the sleep from it due to their deathly fear of STAB Ice Beam. However, it can't switch directly into Donphan's attacks, and things can go wrong for it very quickly if it misses Lovely Kiss.

**Charm and Growl Users**: Umbreon easily shrugs off Donphan's attacks thanks to its massive bulk and neuters its damage output with Charm; however, it can be beaten if Donphan chooses to run Toxic. Miltank performs similarly well against Donphan thanks to Growl and Milk Drink. It's worth noting that both of these Pokemon struggle to damage Donphan in return, especially the RestTalk set; thus, these matchups will frequently be decided by PP stalling in a one-on-one scenario, which Donphan has an advantage in due to Rapid Spin's massive 64 PP.

**Water-types**: Although they don't pack a Ground resistance, bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon, Suicune, and the rare Kingdra can withstand Donphan's attacks long enough to dispatch it with Surf. Vaporeon can even take advantage of Donphan to set up a Growth boost if it comes in at high health.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/stupidflandrs48.633500/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/fear.2005/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/zokuru.263906/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/autumn.384270/

Last edited:

Fear

GSC Monarch
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Great analysis. A minor addition I would want added on the first set in Team Options, is the mention that other great partners for it are Misdreavus and Skarmory that can tackle all variations of curse Snorlax on more dedicated stalls akin to this:
123.png

Since Raikou is a nigh mandatory partner, Skarmory and Misdreavus/Tyranitar are its partners on Stall/Bulky Balance teams. Tyranitar and Gengar were perfectly described for offensive Donphan teams, kudos for that. Let me know once this is implemented.

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Great analysis. A minor addition I would want added on the first set in Team Options, is the mention that other great partners for it are Misdreavus and Skarmory that can tackle all variations of curse Snorlax on more dedicated stalls akin to this:
View attachment 587976
Since Raikou is a nigh mandatory partner, Skarmory and Misdreavus/Tyranitar are its partners on Stall/Bulky Balance teams. Tyranitar and Gengar were perfectly described for offensive Donphan teams, kudos for that. Let me know once this is implemented.
Implemented!

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
Sorry, I don't have much time right now and I am not very qualified but I've used variations of the second set and I feel like Earthquake/ Toxic/ Protect/ Rapid Spin is undersold here and should even be the main second set.

The ability to, from full health, punish Cloy that comes in on Spin hoping to Spike again is in my opinion stronger than HP Rock's inability to actually hurt Zapdos or put Cloyster on a timer.

You are rarely 2HKOed by Machamp Cross Chop at +1 (+1 Leftovers Machamp Cross Chop vs. Leftovers Donphan: 171 - 202 (45.6 - 53.9%) -- 2.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers) from full so Toxic/ Earthquake/ Protect sequences lets you switch in and then shave away a huge chunk of its health.

Furthermore, the right sequence of Toxic/ Earthquake/ Protect can make CurseEQLax use Rest which can actually preserve the HP of your Normal-resistant phazer on offensive teams.

Toxic+ Protect can also punish clueless Starmie, force Zapdos to be closer to its next Rest cycle, and punish Explosions.

In fact, I don't think there's a really compelling case for HP Rock and I have never considered it. I have used variations of Cloyster/ Snorlax/ Zapdos/ Tyranitar/ Donphan/ filler (Gengar, Machamp, etc) and I really feel like this is the reason I'd even consider using Donphan on offense. This is not theory on my end, I have used all of these applications in practice. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
Sorry, I don't have much time right now and I am not very qualified but I've used variations of the second set and I feel like Earthquake/ Toxic/ Protect/ Rapid Spin is undersold here and should even be the main second set.

The ability to, from full health, punish Cloy that comes in on Spin hoping to Spike again is in my opinion stronger than HP Rock's inability to actually hurt Zapdos or put Cloyster on a timer.

You are rarely 2HKOed by Machamp Cross Chop at +1 (+1 Leftovers Machamp Cross Chop vs. Leftovers Donphan: 171 - 202 (45.6 - 53.9%) -- 2.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers) from full so Toxic/ Earthquake/ Protect sequences lets you switch in and then shave away a huge chunk of its health.

Furthermore, the right sequence of Toxic/ Earthquake/ Protect can make CurseEQLax use Rest which can actually preserve the HP of your Normal-resistant phazer on offensive teams.

Toxic+ Protect can also punish clueless Starmie, force Zapdos to be closer to its next Rest cycle, and punish Explosions.

In fact, I don't think there's a really compelling case for HP Rock and I have never considered it. I have used variations of Cloyster/ Snorlax/ Zapdos/ Tyranitar/ Donphan/ filler (Gengar, Machamp, etc) and I really feel like this is the reason I'd even consider using Donphan on offense. This is not theory on my end, I have used all of these applications in practice. Am I missing something?
Thanks for the input, I'm glad to get more eyes on this since it's a slightly obscure mon. However based on discussions with Fear and my own personal experience HP Rock is generally the more valuable pick on the second set.

Firstly, HP Rock is more than sufficient to make an impression on Zapdos despite the lack of STAB:
Donphan Hidden Power Rock vs. Zapdos: 127-150 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 92.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Of course a 2HKO would be better but Toxic takes a while to force the rest (even with protect) while you take a huge chunk from HPower and they can just Rest on you/something else later with nothing else to pressure them.

Of course the big appeal of Toxic is pressuring Cloy like you mentioned, but one of the big issues with Phan in general is making a case for it over Starmie on any given team, and Starmie is much better at pressuring Cloy with just its standard set since Psychic absolutely hammers it/Sub can just wall the Cloy user or force them into exploitable prediction games. When running Phan it's better to accept that you'll only be chipping Cloy with EQ and relying on the team to deal with it further (hence why it ends up on double elec structures which the RT set is more compatible with, and why the second set is given a lot less emphasis overall). As for the Curse + EQLax point, Roar with Spikes down is usually enough to punish a greedy Lax and that's just one moveslot, I can definitely see the appeal of trying to squeeze more value from the interaction and preserve the TTar but I think the Zapdos/Fire-types pressure is more useful.

I should note that the analysis is only halfway through QC so if these things get brought up again in the second check I might end up making similar revisions to these anyway.

phosphor

ghosts appear and fade away
is a Top Tutoris a Community Leader
B101 Leader
Thanks for the input, I'm glad to get more eyes on this since it's a slightly obscure mon. However based on discussions with Fear and my own personal experience HP Rock is generally the more valuable pick on the second set.

Firstly, HP Rock is more than sufficient to make an impression on Zapdos despite the lack of STAB:
Donphan Hidden Power Rock vs. Zapdos: 127-150 (33.1 - 39.1%) -- 92.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Of course a 2HKO would be better but Toxic takes a while to force the rest (even with protect) while you take a huge chunk from HPower and they can just Rest on you/something else later with nothing else to pressure them.

Of course the big appeal of Toxic is pressuring Cloy like you mentioned, but one of the big issues with Phan in general is making a case for it over Starmie on any given team, and Starmie is much better at pressuring Cloy with just its standard set since Psychic absolutely hammers it/Sub can just wall the Cloy user or force them into exploitable prediction games. When running Phan it's better to accept that you'll only be chipping Cloy with EQ and relying on the team to deal with it further (hence why it ends up on double elec structures which the RT set is more compatible with, and why the second set is given a lot less emphasis overall). As for the Curse + EQLax point, Roar with Spikes down is usually enough to punish a greedy Lax and that's just one moveslot, I can definitely see the appeal of trying to squeeze more value from the interaction and preserve the TTar but I think the Zapdos/Fire-types pressure is more useful.

I should note that the analysis is only halfway through QC so if these things get brought up again in the second check I might end up making similar revisions to these anyway.
I hope I don't give off the impression that I feel very strongly about this LOL, I really don't think that Donphan is good.

I would like to clarify that I am only talking about the second set.

First off, PS's calc may have had an error as sulcalc (which is what I use) gives me this calc: Leftovers Donphan Hidden Power Rock vs. Leftovers Zapdos: 127 - 150 (33.2 - 39.2%) -- 12.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers. I don't know which one is correct but accounting for Leftovers recovery given those percentages 12.8% chance to 3HKO sounds right.

I feel like your Zapdos point is slightly misguided. When I talk about moving Zapdos closer to its next Rest cycle I am referring to catching Zapdos on the switch with Toxic (not necessarily aimed at Zapdos) and switching out, ensuring it will have to Rest soon without necessarily having to take a Hidden Power (if you do have to take one, just use Spin lol, and this is a much easier thing to do if the enemy Cloyster is poisoned). Hitting Zapdos with HP Rock in my opinion does not get it as close to Resting since it's still gaining HP over time, and you have to potentially trade health to hit it multiple times or use something else to make it Rest.

About Donphan's use case over Starmie on offense teams (with my understanding of non-Exploding Spinners on offense being the Lax/Zap/Cloy/Mie/Gar/Lix team), I found that the reason I used it on offense teams was that it was a Spinner that resisted Electric that could take one Surf, not fear Hidden Power Water, and could somewhat switch into Machamp. Contrary to your point, I don't think this means accepting Cloyster will only be hit by Earthquakes at all. On the contrary I think this niche is helped by ToxTect.

On the Roar point, I don't like the idea of taking a +1 STAB move from Snorlax just for Snorlax to come back in and Curse again.

If you are still not convinced I will not pursue this further as Donphan on offense is a really tiny niche not worth arguing over, I really just wanted to share what has worked for me. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
1/1 GP Team done great read
[OVERVIEW]

Donphan is a unique Pokemon in the GSC metagame that finds a small niche thanks to an interesting combination of traits. As a Ground-type with access to the coveted Rapid Spin, (AC) it faces competition with the more popular Golem, but Donphan's lack of a secondary typing means it's one of the few Ground-types in OU which that lacks a weakness to opposing Ground-type attacks. This gives it favorable matchups against metagame staples such as Steelix, Rhydon, Raikou, Tyranitar, and the aforementioned Golem. Donphan's excellent Defense stat also allows it to check some non-Curse Snorlax sets despite lacking a Normal resistance, although it doesn't appreciate repeated hits with Spikes in play. Being a spinner with a strong STAB Earthquake means it's extremely risky for Gengar or and Misdreavus (it's risky for both of them) to try spinblocking against Donphan, making it proficient at keeping Spikes off the field against a variety of teams.

However, Donphan remains an extremely rare sight in GSC because its unique traits are ultimately limited and not without downsides. (this is a fluff sentence, i would cut or work it into the next one) While it has certain advantages over Golem, Golem remains the more popular choice of Rapid Spin user thanks to its Rock-type STAB moves and ability to check a wider variety of Snorlax sets, making it less restrictive on teambuilding. Starmie is another stiff competitor to Donphan for trainers (would change this to 'teams' because it's about the team compositions that benefit, not necessarily the users) wanting a spinner that checks common Normal resists Normal-resistant foes, boasting Recover and an excellent Speed tier as major advantages. Donphan's low Special Defense and frequent inability to fit Rock-type coverage also makes it helpless against two of the most common Pokemon in the tier, namely Zapdos and Cloyster, although its Electric immunity is still great for pivoting around the former.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is simple yet effective, seeking to leverage Donphan's natural defensive profile to check common threats throughout the course of a game. STAB Earthquake gives Donphan solid offensive presence at all times, letting it 2HKO every Ground-weak Pokemon in the metagame besides Steelix without needing Spikes support. It also threatens an immediate OHKO on Gengar and 2HKO on Misdreavus, ensuring Donphan can remove Spikes from the field in peace. Rapid Spin is Donphan's most important supportive tool, letting it clear Spikes from its team's side of the field, which greatly assists grounded teammates such as Snorlax. Rest is Donphan's only form of recovery outside of Leftovers, making it mandatory in order to stay healthy for as long as possible. Sleep Talk is used alongside Rest here to limit downtime as much as possible, letting Donphan continuously fire off Earthquakes against targets that might otherwise take advantage of it to rack up Curse boosts, such as Rhydon. Sleep Talk also makes Donphan a decent switch-in against Hypnosis from Ghost-types and Lovely Kiss from Snorlax and Nidoking, although its vulnerability to Jynx and Exeggutor makes it awkward to use as a team's sole sleep absorber.

Team Options
========

RestTalk Donphan's lack of a Normal resistance and inability to fit Roar mean it needs a teammate that can provide both of these tools. Tyranitar is a standout candidate, easily switching into Snorlax and phazing it to negate any Curse boosts; its STAB Rock Slide also dishes out some serious pain against Zapdos and Cloyster, which easily beat Donphan. Raikou is the go-to choice for a dedicated Zapdos check thanks to its Electric resistance and powerful Thunder, and Zapdos itself is a crucial teammate for checking threats that bowl over the Donphan + Tyranitar pairing, such as Heracross and Curse Machamp. As a result, Donphan most commonly finds itself on double-Electric teams that seek to limit Cloyster's opportunities to repeatedly lay Spikes; such teams might refrain from using Starmie for Rapid Spin duty, (AC) since it stacks too many weaknesses to opposing Raikou. Skarmory and Misdreavus can take Tyranitar's place on bulkier teams, forming an excellent defensive pairing with Donphan that checks every Snorlax variant on its own, leaving Donphan free to deal with Raikou, Tyranitar, and the Ground-types. RestTalk Donphan also compresses a decent Gengar check and a sleep absorber into one team slot, which can free up a team's Snorlax to run a mono-attacking or mixed set. Thunder Snorlax is especially useful for pestering Skarmory, which Donphan can't scratch at all, and Cloyster. Alternatively, Snorlax can still run a set with Sleep Talk if the team finds itself weak to Jynx.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is difficult to justify using due to its similarity to Golem's common sets, but it remains useful for trainers (again would recommend 'teams' here for same reasons as before) seeking a Rapid Spin option that matches up better against opposing Ground-types, Tyranitar, and Giga Drain Forretress. Earthquake is Donphan's main source of damage, striking fear into common Ground-weak Pokemon such as Rhydon, Golem, Steelix, and Tyranitar and generally providing good neutral damage. Rapid Spin lets Donphan rid the field of Spikes if it finds an opportunity, which is especially useful, (AC) since Gengar and Misdreavus want nothing to do with its Earthquake and are thus unlikely to switch in. (if you think comma disrupts flow here then you can change 'since' to 'because' and it doesn't need one) Hidden Power Rock covers Flying-types that commonly switch into Earthquake looking for free turns, mainly Zapdos but also Dragonite, Moltres, and Charizard; however, Donphan doesn't beat the former two one-on-one despite the super effective coverage. Toxic is a decent alternative that puts much more pressure on Cloyster, letting Donphan punish it for switching in on a predicted Rapid Spin and trying to lay Spikes again; it also has applications against Ground resists Ground-resistant foes such as Exeggutor and Heracross, and it still does something some damage (less vague) to the aforementioned Flying-type targets as well. The last moveslot is somewhat flexible: Roar lets Donphan phaze certain Curse users such as Tyranitar, Steelix, Machamp, and even Snorlax in a pinch before they snowball out of control. Roar in conjunction with Spikes support is also a powerful offensive tool that can quickly rack up chip damage against the opponent's team. Alternatively, Protect lets Donphan maximize its Leftovers recovery, which is especially important, (AC) since this set doesn't have room for RestTalk. It's also useful for stalling out Toxic damage and wasting low-PP moves such as Cross Chop from Machamp and Giga Drain from Exeggutor or and Forretress, making those threats significantly easier to play around.

Team Options
========

Since this Donphan sacrifices the longevity of Rest for additional offensive coverage, its team should appropriately match the fast pace it wants to play at. Cloyster is an ideal teammate for this set, providing a backup non-Curse Snorlax check, Spikes that Donphan can leverage with Roar, Toxic that Donphan can accentuate with Protect, and even Explosion to lure and remove Zapdos. Tyranitar is an excellent choice for the Normal resistance, phazing, and offensive presence it provides, and Donphan's good matchups against the tier's spinblockers can potentially free it up to run a Curse set. The Donphan + Tyranitar pairing is also useful in that it handles Gengar extremely well (RC) and thus reduces the pressure on Snorlax to run a set with Earthquake, giving it more options overall. A mono-attacking Snorlax set with Curse, Rest, and Sleep Talk pairs very well with this Donphan, providing a special sponge, win condition, and sleep absorber in the same team slot. Raikou is a useful teammate for providing extra insurance against Zapdos, and it can also viably run a Sleep Talk set depending on the needs of the team. Gengar can ensure Spikes remain on the field for Donphan's team, check Heracross and Machamp, and pressure nearly the entire tier with its coverage and Hypnosis; it also discourages Steelix and Golem from trying to trade with Donphan via Explosion, which is especially useful if Donphan isn't running Protect.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Donphan's movepool is unimpressive outside of the options already mentioned. Growl is Donphan's best tool for dealing with Snorlax and other Curse users, but Roar is more widely applicable against the Pokemon Donphan commonly finds itself switching into. Donphan can run a Curse set of its own with Earthquake, Hidden Power Rock, and either Roar or Rest, but such a set faces tough competition with the more powerful Rhydon. Hidden Power Fire lets Donphan 2HKO Forretress and annoy Skarmory, but it is useless outside of those matchups, and the massive drop in Donphan's HP DVs impacts its hit-taking ability.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Donphan's lack of Rock-type STAB moves makes it difficult to avoid inviting ground-immune Ground-immune Pokemon such as Zapdos, Skarmory, and Dragonite onto the field, all of which can easily threaten it out, phaze it, or set up on it. Moltres and Charizard can also take advantage of a Donphan lacking Hidden Power Rock.

**Curse Snorlax**: Snorlax can exploit Donphan's lack of a Normal resistance if it runs a Curse set, easily overwhelming the RestTalk set with its boosted STAB moves; however, offensive Donphan can at least phaze Snorlax if it carries Roar, and repeated Earthquakes can overwhelm Snorlax if it's carrying Self-Destruct instead of Rest.

**Heracross**: Heracross takes pitiful damage from Donphan's attacks and easily bowls it over with Megahorn; Curse variants can also set up on it unless it has Roar, creating problems for Donphan's team.

**Grass-types**: Exeggutor resists Earthquake and threatens Donphan with either of its STAB moves; RestTalk sets struggle to absorb its Sleep Powder because of this. The much rarer Meganium can also wall Donphan with ease, although it isn't quite as threatening in return, (AC) since it usually runs physical attacks.

**Cloyster**: Cloyster's stupendous physical bulk and threatening Water-type attacks make it a pain for Donphan to deal with and repeatedly deny Spikes against, forcing the Donphan user to fit Toxic or rely on teammates to help against it. However, Donphan is generally able to outlast the standard Rest-less Cloyster set with smart play, as the latter can be quickly worn down early-game if it's crippled by Toxic or forced to switch into Snorlax repeatedly.

**Jynx**: Jynx can neutralize Donphan for long stretches of the game with Lovely Kiss, and similar to Exeggutor, RestTalk sets struggle to absorb the sleep from it due to their deathly fear of STAB Ice Beam. However, it can't switch directly into Donphan's attacks, and things can go wrong for it very quickly if it misses Lovely Kiss.

**Charm/Growl users Charm and Growl Users**: Umbreon easily shrugs off Donphan's attacks thanks to its massive bulk and neuters its damage output with Charm; however, it can be beaten if Donphan chooses to run Toxic. Miltank performs similarly well against Donphan thanks to Growl and Milk Drink. It's worth noting that both of these Pokemon struggle to damage Donphan in return, especially the RestTalk set; thus, these matchups will frequently be decided by PP stalling in a one-on-one scenario, which Donphan has an advantage in due to Rapid Spin's massive 64 PP.

**Water-types**: Although they don't pack a Ground resistance, bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon, Suicune, and the rare Kingdra can withstand Donphan's attacks long enough to dispatch it with Surf. Vaporeon can even take advantage of Donphan to set up a Growth boost if it comes in at high health.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
add your link

Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

StupidFlandrs48

World’s sweatiest casual
is a Pre-Contributor
1/1 GP Team done great read
[OVERVIEW]

Donphan is a unique Pokemon in the GSC metagame that finds a small niche thanks to an interesting combination of traits. As a Ground-type with access to the coveted Rapid Spin, (AC) it faces competition with the more popular Golem, but Donphan's lack of a secondary typing means it's one of the few Ground-types in OU which that lacks a weakness to opposing Ground-type attacks. This gives it favorable matchups against metagame staples such as Steelix, Rhydon, Raikou, Tyranitar, and the aforementioned Golem. Donphan's excellent Defense stat also allows it to check some non-Curse Snorlax sets despite lacking a Normal resistance, although it doesn't appreciate repeated hits with Spikes in play. Being a spinner with a strong STAB Earthquake means it's extremely risky for Gengar or and Misdreavus (it's risky for both of them) to try spinblocking against Donphan, making it proficient at keeping Spikes off the field against a variety of teams.

However, Donphan remains an extremely rare sight in GSC because its unique traits are ultimately limited and not without downsides. (this is a fluff sentence, i would cut or work it into the next one) While it has certain advantages over Golem, Golem remains the more popular choice of Rapid Spin user thanks to its Rock-type STAB moves and ability to check a wider variety of Snorlax sets, making it less restrictive on teambuilding. Starmie is another stiff competitor to Donphan for trainers (would change this to 'teams' because it's about the team compositions that benefit, not necessarily the users) wanting a spinner that checks common Normal resists Normal-resistant foes, boasting Recover and an excellent Speed tier as major advantages. Donphan's low Special Defense and frequent inability to fit Rock-type coverage also makes it helpless against two of the most common Pokemon in the tier, namely Zapdos and Cloyster, although its Electric immunity is still great for pivoting around the former.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is simple yet effective, seeking to leverage Donphan's natural defensive profile to check common threats throughout the course of a game. STAB Earthquake gives Donphan solid offensive presence at all times, letting it 2HKO every Ground-weak Pokemon in the metagame besides Steelix without needing Spikes support. It also threatens an immediate OHKO on Gengar and 2HKO on Misdreavus, ensuring Donphan can remove Spikes from the field in peace. Rapid Spin is Donphan's most important supportive tool, letting it clear Spikes from its team's side of the field, which greatly assists grounded teammates such as Snorlax. Rest is Donphan's only form of recovery outside of Leftovers, making it mandatory in order to stay healthy for as long as possible. Sleep Talk is used alongside Rest here to limit downtime as much as possible, letting Donphan continuously fire off Earthquakes against targets that might otherwise take advantage of it to rack up Curse boosts, such as Rhydon. Sleep Talk also makes Donphan a decent switch-in against Hypnosis from Ghost-types and Lovely Kiss from Snorlax and Nidoking, although its vulnerability to Jynx and Exeggutor makes it awkward to use as a team's sole sleep absorber.

Team Options
========

RestTalk Donphan's lack of a Normal resistance and inability to fit Roar mean it needs a teammate that can provide both of these tools. Tyranitar is a standout candidate, easily switching into Snorlax and phazing it to negate any Curse boosts; its STAB Rock Slide also dishes out some serious pain against Zapdos and Cloyster, which easily beat Donphan. Raikou is the go-to choice for a dedicated Zapdos check thanks to its Electric resistance and powerful Thunder, and Zapdos itself is a crucial teammate for checking threats that bowl over the Donphan + Tyranitar pairing, such as Heracross and Curse Machamp. As a result, Donphan most commonly finds itself on double-Electric teams that seek to limit Cloyster's opportunities to repeatedly lay Spikes; such teams might refrain from using Starmie for Rapid Spin duty, (AC) since it stacks too many weaknesses to opposing Raikou. Skarmory and Misdreavus can take Tyranitar's place on bulkier teams, forming an excellent defensive pairing with Donphan that checks every Snorlax variant on its own, leaving Donphan free to deal with Raikou, Tyranitar, and the Ground-types. RestTalk Donphan also compresses a decent Gengar check and a sleep absorber into one team slot, which can free up a team's Snorlax to run a mono-attacking or mixed set. Thunder Snorlax is especially useful for pestering Skarmory, which Donphan can't scratch at all, and Cloyster. Alternatively, Snorlax can still run a set with Sleep Talk if the team finds itself weak to Jynx.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========

This set is difficult to justify using due to its similarity to Golem's common sets, but it remains useful for trainers (again would recommend 'teams' here for same reasons as before) seeking a Rapid Spin option that matches up better against opposing Ground-types, Tyranitar, and Giga Drain Forretress. Earthquake is Donphan's main source of damage, striking fear into common Ground-weak Pokemon such as Rhydon, Golem, Steelix, and Tyranitar and generally providing good neutral damage. Rapid Spin lets Donphan rid the field of Spikes if it finds an opportunity, which is especially useful, (AC) since Gengar and Misdreavus want nothing to do with its Earthquake and are thus unlikely to switch in. (if you think comma disrupts flow here then you can change 'since' to 'because' and it doesn't need one) Hidden Power Rock covers Flying-types that commonly switch into Earthquake looking for free turns, mainly Zapdos but also Dragonite, Moltres, and Charizard; however, Donphan doesn't beat the former two one-on-one despite the super effective coverage. Toxic is a decent alternative that puts much more pressure on Cloyster, letting Donphan punish it for switching in on a predicted Rapid Spin and trying to lay Spikes again; it also has applications against Ground resists Ground-resistant foes such as Exeggutor and Heracross, and it still does something some damage (less vague) to the aforementioned Flying-type targets as well. The last moveslot is somewhat flexible: Roar lets Donphan phaze certain Curse users such as Tyranitar, Steelix, Machamp, and even Snorlax in a pinch before they snowball out of control. Roar in conjunction with Spikes support is also a powerful offensive tool that can quickly rack up chip damage against the opponent's team. Alternatively, Protect lets Donphan maximize its Leftovers recovery, which is especially important, (AC) since this set doesn't have room for RestTalk. It's also useful for stalling out Toxic damage and wasting low-PP moves such as Cross Chop from Machamp and Giga Drain from Exeggutor or and Forretress, making those threats significantly easier to play around.

Team Options
========

Since this Donphan sacrifices the longevity of Rest for additional offensive coverage, its team should appropriately match the fast pace it wants to play at. Cloyster is an ideal teammate for this set, providing a backup non-Curse Snorlax check, Spikes that Donphan can leverage with Roar, Toxic that Donphan can accentuate with Protect, and even Explosion to lure and remove Zapdos. Tyranitar is an excellent choice for the Normal resistance, phazing, and offensive presence it provides, and Donphan's good matchups against the tier's spinblockers can potentially free it up to run a Curse set. The Donphan + Tyranitar pairing is also useful in that it handles Gengar extremely well (RC) and thus reduces the pressure on Snorlax to run a set with Earthquake, giving it more options overall. A mono-attacking Snorlax set with Curse, Rest, and Sleep Talk pairs very well with this Donphan, providing a special sponge, win condition, and sleep absorber in the same team slot. Raikou is a useful teammate for providing extra insurance against Zapdos, and it can also viably run a Sleep Talk set depending on the needs of the team. Gengar can ensure Spikes remain on the field for Donphan's team, check Heracross and Machamp, and pressure nearly the entire tier with its coverage and Hypnosis; it also discourages Steelix and Golem from trying to trade with Donphan via Explosion, which is especially useful if Donphan isn't running Protect.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Flying-types**: Donphan's lack of Rock-type STAB moves makes it difficult to avoid inviting ground-immune Ground-immune Pokemon such as Zapdos, Skarmory, and Dragonite onto the field, all of which can easily threaten it out, phaze it, or set up on it. Moltres and Charizard can also take advantage of a Donphan lacking Hidden Power Rock.

**Grass-types**: Exeggutor resists Earthquake and threatens Donphan with either of its STAB moves; RestTalk sets struggle to absorb its Sleep Powder because of this. The much rarer Meganium can also wall Donphan with ease, although it isn't quite as threatening in return, (AC) since it usually runs physical attacks.

**Charm/Growl users Charm and Growl Users**: Umbreon easily shrugs off Donphan's attacks thanks to its massive bulk and neuters its damage output with Charm; however, it can be beaten if Donphan chooses to run Toxic. Miltank performs similarly well against Donphan thanks to Growl and Milk Drink. It's worth noting that both of these Pokemon struggle to damage Donphan in return, especially the RestTalk set; thus, these matchups will frequently be decided by PP stalling in a one-on-one scenario, which Donphan has an advantage in due to Rapid Spin's massive 64 PP.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
add your link

Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:
Implemented!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)