Great Defensive Combos

how about Heatias? Heatran and Latias have perfect synergy. Latias take water, fughting, and ground for Heatran, while Heatran takes bug, dark, ghost, dragon, and ice. The only real counter to this is Tyranitar with it's massive sp def in sandstorm. Because the two are specially inclined, any special wall will counter, though they should fear a roar from both pokemon.
Latias @ leftovers
Timid, Levitate
252 HP, 4 Sp Atk, 252 Spe
substitute/HP fire
dragon pulse
recover
calm mind

heatran @ air balloon
timid, flash fire
252 Sp Atk, 4 Sp Def, 252 Spe
fire blast
roar/SR
earth power
HP ice

how about Heatias? Heatran and Latias have perfect synergy. Latias take water, fughting, and ground for Heatran, while Heatran takes bug, dark, ghost, dragon, and ice. The only real counter to this is Tyranitar with it's massive sp def in sandstorm. Because the two are specially inclined, any special wall will counter, though they should fear a roar from both pokemon.
Latias @ leftovers
Timid, Levitate
252 HP, 4 Sp Atk, 252 Spe
substitute/HP fire
dragon pulse
recover
calm mind

heatran @ air balloon
timid, flash fire
252 Sp Atk, 4 Sp Def, 252 Spe
fire blast
roar/SR
earth power
HP ice
Snorlax also poops on this combo

tehy

Banned deucer.
And if latias lacks Hp fire, which it might, then scizor can smack it around quite nicely.

Sleeptalking Milotic and standard Ferrothorn. Unbreakable. Basically at least check all top 10 pokes in usage..

Trident (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Bug Eyes (Forretress) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Sick of Forretress becoming set up bait? Well I was too. Defensive Gyarados aims to solve that with Intimidate. Forretress keeps the SR from raping Gyarados while Intimidate Gyarados can prevent the boost of offensive pokemon and proceed to phaze them. Using 2 attacks Forretress is key so Forretress can actually do something while it is being Outraged against but still doesn't get raped by Magenezone. Volt Switch forms a nice combo with Gyarados since that means Forretress can tank the hit (not Gyarados) while simultaneously having the ability to lower the opponents attack with Intimidate.

A strong resist to Rock type attacks is greatly appreciated for this combo so it doesn't get raped by Ttar/Terrakion. Hippowdon works nicely with this combo as he can take on TTar and Terrakion comfortably while remaining a sturdy physical wall (3 them together can shutdown must physical threats in the game). Conkledurr makes a nice partner too, bulky enough to take a hit and can Punch both Terrakion and Tyranitar to their deaths.

Edit: unrelated but I don't understand why the Forry set on-site has twoo hazards/one attack when most forrys use 2 attacks, 1 hazard (at least I've seen). Am I wrong and do the usage statistics say otherwise?

what do you do against special attackers? especially rotom-w and jolteon....

how about a gastrodon? he resists rock and absorbs water and is immune electric attacks. or sp.def. heatran works also, as well as blissey

what do you do against special attackers? especially rotom-w and jolteon....

how about a gastrodon? he resists rock and absorbs water and is immune electric attacks. or sp.def. heatran works also, as well as blissey
I never meant it to be a full-fledge core to take on everything, it's just a nice combo I find a while back that gets rid of some of the issues that plague Forretress.

Yeah such cores exist on really defensive teams that try to cover the most threats with their wider variety of pokemon. Infact it is a standard stall team of 2 physically defensive pokemon + Blissey/Chansey + a pokemon to deal with Blissey's problems (Latias / Sableye / Tyranitar) + rapid spinner + extra support / wall / set up / spin blocker

Lati-Skarm-Rachi is a great defensive core in my opinion. To begin with, all three of them have a solid form of recovery, which, from my experience, is perhaps the most valuable aspect of a defensive Pokemon - being able to take repeated hits. All three of them also either are immune to one type of hazard, or resist it, giving them the ability to switch in repeatedly. Among them, they are also able to produce Stealth Rocks and Spikes, as well as two of them being Phazers, quickly racking up Hazard damage in addition to forcing many switches. On top of that, all forms of weather are nicely covered: Latias checks Sun and Rain; Skarmory can beat many sand teams; Jirachi can fare well against hail.

That is an ok defensive core, but my issue with it is how little Latias or Jirachi does to aid Skarm. Outside of the obvious special attackers, the only physical types they deal with to aid skarm are Conkeldurr and Gyarados.

Latias is able to take most incoming fire and electric attacks very well assuming she runs a physically defensive build. Conkeldurr and Gyarados are pretty much the only Physical Attackers outside of Fire and Electric types that can get past Skarmory off the top of my head. Jirachi functions as a sort of in-between Special and Physically Defensive Pokemon, as it can take a hit from either spectrum when necessary.

Hitmontop and Dragonite is really good. Dragonite is threatened by stuff like Mamoswine and strong rock attacks which goes to Top. Also you can spin away for Dnite. Special Ice attacks go to Chansey. Most Ice users dont have trick unless its HP ice rotom?

lol i was about to say Heatran and latias but someone beat me to it! i use both of them in my team. a team based around latias sweeping. the two work great offensivly as well Heatran can take out Steel types and Blissey with explosoin. as Dragontongue195040 said the two have perfect synergy and Heatran also resists two of them by 4x Ice and Bug. Rotom wash can also work in this Core to help against t tars and stuff

edit: also i havent really playe ru but would articuno and tangela work. Articuno basically has the same speical Bulk as Umbreon doesnt have a weakness to bug and has acces to moves like roar, substitute, roost, toxic, heal bell etc. the only thing i see letting it down is its huge weakness to stealthrock so being paired with a rapid spinner is a must. wartortle maybe?

Does anyone know some good 4 defensive pokemon combos i know skarmbliss and jellithorn work well but im talking about 4 pokemon which cover each others weaknesses and have most pokemon in check?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone know some good 4 defensive pokemon combos i know skarmbliss and jellithorn work well but im talking about 4 pokemon which cover each others weaknesses and have most pokemon in check?
Jellithorn and Celetran ?

Just theorymonning here. Never was a fan of stall. Actually I hate stall.

Jellithorn and Celetran ?

Just theorymonning here. Never was a fan of stall. Actually I hate stall.
both heatran and ferrothron have a weakness to fighting and celebi and jellicent both have dark/ghost weaknesses.

anyone got some ideas?

Well, Skarm/Gastrodon/Heatran has always worked for me, I think Jellicent could fit nicely in there as it protects Heatran and Skarm from CCs, but it does have that shared electric weakness. Even though Gastro protects it, it's up to you.

@Draza: A core is rarely going to encompass 4 Pokemon - at that point you're closer to a full team than a core in my eyes. It doesn't really matter that within 4 Pokemon you have 2 that are weak to one type if the other two Pokemon within the team resist that same type - you are unlikely to ever make a good team with no shared weaknesses. The aforementioned core seems relatively solid, although there may be a Virizion weakness within it since its STABs hit 3 out of four Pokemon super effectively and it can beat Celebi with CM + HP Ice. Still, as long as you have something for Virizion that's a solid basis for a team. SubDisable Gengar could also be a weakness depending on sets, but you're covered for Spikes, Stealth Rock and Spinblocking which is a good chunk of the utility you're going to need. Find something for Terrakion, Gengar, Virizion and other Pokemon that have strong fighting moves alongside the ability to beat Celebi and Jellicent and you have something pretty cool. At a glance, Psyshock physically defensive Reuniclus deals with the fighting-type weakness, more-or-less, so you just need something for Gengar. I won't list anything for that since if I did this would be more my team than yours (XD) but Reuniclus/Heatran/Celebi/Ferrothorn/Jellicent doesn't seem too bad to me. A little Pursuit weak perhaps, so a better Tyranitar switch would also be a nice thing to have.

If your using a defensive or stall team, im goanna be flat out honest here, just use Blissey or Chansey people. Unless you’re a real wiz at making teams, one can not afford waste 3 pokemon just to deal with various special problems. Why would you do that when you can use just 2, Blissey and another pokemon to cover Blissey's problems? At that point you still have 4 pokemon at your disposal. The next two can be used for physically defensive pokemon, which if done right you really can cover almost all threats with 2 pokemon. From there you can use the last 2 slots for whatever you want. Although if its a stall team your probably going to want a rapid spinner and maybe a spin blocker or revenge killer, but at that point its whatever best fits your team.

If you ask me, I think Ferrothorn + Slowbro make for a better wall combo than ferrocent.

Slowbro has far more physical bulk than Jellicent and gets regenerator to boot, and doesn't need to rely on Will o miss for bulk.

Slowbro just does a better job of countering terrakion.

If your using a defensive or stall team, im goanna be flat out honest here, just use Blissey or Chansey people. Unless you’re a real wiz at making teams, one can not afford waste 3 pokemon just to deal with various special problems. Why would you do that when you can use just 2, Blissey and another pokemon to cover Blissey's problems? At that point you still have 4 pokemon at your disposal. The next two can be used for physically defensive pokemon, which if done right you really can cover almost all threats with 2 pokemon. From there you can use the last 2 slots for whatever you want. Although if its a stall team your probably going to want a rapid spinner and maybe a spin blocker or revenge killer, but at that point its whatever best fits your team.
I don't agree with this at all. Nearly all of the special threats that Blissey can deal with also have ways of getting past it easily. Meaning, Blissey can easily be overloaded by special threats, and at least a few of them will be capable of Tricking, Psyshocking, Volt Switching, etc etc. On top of that, Blissey is bigger set up fodder than any other wall in OU.

How can you forget the infamous CeleTran as an OU defensive core??

There's also Dragon+Steel that's great. Any of them, really, but Dragonite/Latias and Jirachi/Ferrothorn/Heatran works best in my experience.

Suicune's typing is water, her only weakness is electric.
I'd say Gliscor is her best partner as she resist water and ice.
Ferrothron would work too for added dragon resistance but fighting may still be a problem (she resists fire).
Suicune+Gliscor+Ferrothorn looks nice though ->no shared weaknesses and they wall a lot of common threats in OU.
I can't think of a pokemon who could easily work his way past those 3. Usually pokemon have to chose between ice and fire coverage and if they have both, they are walled by Suicune. And the 3 of them even have nice offensive potential to prevent setting up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)