SV OU GRASSY SEED GOUGING FIRE || GRASSY SEED SPAM

INTRODUCTION

:gouging-fire: is a controversial mon, and at the time of creating this post it is getting suspect tested. :gouging-fire: has a versatile set of sets, such as :choice-band: under sun or plain offensive Dragon Dance. One of the more annoying sets is Dragon Dance Breaking Swipe, which is a defensive mon on its own however with Dragon Dance it can snowball extremely quickly. However, I wanted to take this to the next level by adding :grassy-seed: on this already defensive set, allowing me to invest more in Special Defense to take hits from both sides.

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

:rillaboom: :volcarona:
Ironically, at first I wanted to build with :grassy-seed: :volcarona:, as it is something I attempted in Gen 8's IoA meta, and wanted to revive it in this meta. Spoiler alert: I do end up replacing :Volcarona: with :Gouging-Fire: however I will save that for the end.

:rillaboom: :volcarona: :hatterene:
If I was running :grassy-seed: :volcarona: without :heavy-duty-boots:, I obviously had to add the best Magic Bounce user there is, :hatterene:. I wanted to make the team more fast-paced so I opted for :grassy-seed: over :leftovers: on it. :hatterene: and :volcarona: struggled with :heatran:, so I wanted a lure for it.

:rillaboom: :volcarona: :hatterene: :frosmoth:
I wanted to run a cheesy "Double Quiver Dance with Defense Boosts", So I at first opted for :grassy-seed: :frosmoth:, with Tera Ground Tera Blast. I then wanted a reliable lead so I can set up hazards, Taunt opposing hazards, and have a Fire/Water/Grass core.

:rillaboom: :volcarona: :hatterene: :frosmoth: :samurott-hisui:
With :focus-sash: :samurott-hisui:, I had a move to set up Spikes for my team while using Taunt on other mons. At this point, I was thinking for a sixth mon and was perplexed on either :gholdengo: and :gouging-fire:. I wanted both, so I decided to straight up replace :volcarona: with :gouging-fire: entirely; which allowed me to use :gholdengo: as well.

:rillaboom: :gouging-fire: :hatterene: :frosmoth: :samurott-hisui: :gholdengo:
The team was now complete, however I was extremely worried about Toxic Spikes as I have no :heavy-duty-boots: mons, spinners/defoggers, nor poison types. I also thought :frosmoth: was too bad of a mon to use effectively so I decided to ditch it for a Poison type that can lure in :heatran:

:rillaboom: :gouging-fire: :hatterene: :iron-moth: :samurott-hisui: :gholdengo:
Tera Ground :iron-moth: provided a poison type to seep up Toxic Spikes, reliable speed control in :booster-energy:, a soft check to :iron-valiant:, and a way to dent :heatran: for :grassy-seed: :gouging-fire:. Grassy Terrain is also helpful to weaken Earthquakes from weaker mons such as Clodsire if not terastilized, or even when terastilized when going for Substitute. With this addition, I felt like the team was fine.

THE TEAM

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- U-turn

:rillaboom: was an obvious partner needed in order to run a Grassy Terrain based team. I did not know if I wanted to run :terrain-extender: to allow more chances to send in :grassy-seed: mons or :assault-vest: to be more tanky, however I decided to run bulky :assault-vest: :rillaboom:, as my :dragapult: match-up was not the best and I wanted bulk just incase I had to go against :kingambit: in the endgame. This is also why I am running Tera Fighting Low Kick, so I can have the best chance defeat :kingambit: in the endgame. Grassy Glide is useful and much needed priority on the team, finishing off weakened :iron-valiant:, :iron-boulder:, and :barraskewda:. Knock Off is useful for :slowking-galar: and removing items in general, while U-turn provides momentum to one of the many sweepers on this team. The speed helps outspeed standard defensive :great-tusk: hitting it in a pinch.

gouging.png

Gouging Fire @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Atk / 116 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- Breaking Swipe

:grassy-seed: :gouging-fire: is a bulky monster that can set up on a plethora of mons and weaken other mons with Breaking Swipe. The standard set usually runs more Defense than Special Defense specifically for boosted :ogerpon-wellspring:, however the :grassy-seed: makes up for this which allows it to tank attacks from the likes of :iron-valiant:, :clefable:, :enamorus:, and :primarina: better. As per standard, 72 attack is used to 2HKO Clodsire, and the speed is to outspeed :ogerpon-wellspring: AND standard defensive :gouging-fire: using the Smogon Analysis set. Tera Poison is amazing on this set, as it can tank Fairy moves, prevents it from being hit by Toxic, and is assisted by Grassy Terrain, weakening Ground moves. Morning Sun is for reliable recovery.

Hatterene @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Magic Bounce
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire

:hatterene: provides great support with Magic Bounce, while also acting as a sweeper which can quickly snowball out of hand. As mentioned prior, :grassy-seed: is used over :leftovers: as the team is more fast-paced, with more than half the team using one-time use items. Calm Mind combines well with :grassy-seed:, providing both a Defense and Special Defense boost to help it tank attacks. Stored Power is used over Psyshock as it is the team's best bet against stall teams, besides early game Taunt :samurott-hisui:. Draining Kiss provides :hatterene: with reliable recovery, and helps with the lack of Leftovers recovery. Instead of Nuzzle, Mystical Fire is used to help break through :Gholdengo: and :corviknight: for its team. Tera Water is used over Tera Fire, to not only help wall :gholdengo: but to help resist Water moves from :barraskewda: and :walking-wake:. The speed is to outspeed :ting-lu: and to also speed creep other :hatterene: using the standard Smogon Analysis set.

ironmoth.png

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 124 Def / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Tera Blast

:booster-energy: :iron-moth: is an important member on this team, due to the aforementioned Toxic Spikes absorber, speed control, and :heatran: lure. Tera Ground Iron Moth also has a decent matchup into :skeledirge:, which can be a problem for this team. Fiery Dance and Sludge Wave are given, with the last move being Substitute due to its synergy with Grassy Terrain and helps with the :kingambit: matchup. Although Tera Grass Energy Ball was tempting, Tera Ground breaks mons such as :heatran: and :skeledirge: to help :hatterene: and :gouging-fire: set up. The EVs allow :Iron Moth: to gain a Speed boost due to :booster-energy:, outspeeding the unboosted meta.

hsam.png

Samurott-Hisui @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- Hydro Pump
- Ceaseless Edge
- Aqua Jet

:samurott-hisui: is the dedicated lead of the team, used to get up as many hazards as it can to help its teammates sweep. Hydro Pump is used instead of a move such as Aqua Cutter or Razor Shell to cleanly OHKO :great-tusk: and helps with mons such as :gliscor:, :skarmory:, and :landorus-therian:. It is also used to deny Toxic Spikes from :glimmora:. Ceasless Edge is a given, and Sharpness is chose over Torrent to give :samurott-hisui: a boost due to a cut in its Attack EVs. Aqua Jet is chose over Sucker Punch to cleanly KO :deoxys-speed: in two turns. Taunt is to stop slower mons from setting up or laying hazards. Tera Ghost is used to block :great-tusk: Rapid Spin, as the team is weak towards more offensive :great-tusk:.

ghold.png

Gholdengo @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 108 SpD / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

:gholdengo: functions as a spinblocker, another :grassy-seed: sweeper, and a great defensive wall to mons such as :slowking-galar: and :iron-valiant:. :grassy-seed: is ran over :air-balloon: to weaken :iron-valiant: Knock Off, and to reliably set up on :gliscor: in Grassy Terrain. The EV spread is to make :gholdengo: both a defensive mon with offensive pressure, allowing it to survive the 2HKO from an :iron-valiant: Shadow Ball, and set up against :Ting-Lu: with Nasty Plot Dazzling Gleam. Tera Fairy is used to resist :kingambit: Sucker Punch, while hitting :kingambit: and :ting-lu: harder. Recover is used for sustainability.

THREATS

greattusk.png

Offensive :great-tusk: does not have Headlong Rush halved by Grassy Terrain, meaning that it can 2HKO :gholdengo: on the switch. It is recommended to try to OHKO it with :samurott-hisui: Hydro Pump when you can, as it can pose a major threat to the team. Defensive :great-tusk: however is not a problem at all.

glim.png

:glimmora: is annoying for the team, due to it outspeeding :samurott-hisui: and puts the team at risk to get up Stealth Rocks and Toxic Spikes. :hatterene: can switch into it to deny hazards, however it is annoyed by Mortal Spin and chip it takes from Power Gem.

ting lu.png

:ting-lu: is a momentum killer for the team, with it being hard to chip down and using Whirlwind on mons who are setting up. This means that either :Hatterene: or :gholdengo: is forced to weaken it for the other mons, as they cannot get switched out due to Whirlwind.

CONCLUSION

:gouging-fire: is a controversial mon, and it is not hard to see why. Its defensive AND offensive capabilities are omnipresent, allowing it to serve as a wall and a wallbreaker for a team. This team was made to exploit it with :grassy-seed: and to try what is left to try before its verdict. Leave any changes, questions, or comments below, I love the feedback!

POKEPASTE
https://pokepast.es/8d613ddba374ce9e

Attachments

Last edited:

VicBossMG

MGS enthusiast
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Hey,

as someone who built a Gfire terrain team I really think going with the straight up def in g fire is way better then going sp def as the real threats to that set is lando with earth power and once set up you can really just set weaken lando through out the game and since your HO you mainly want to throw pokemon in and try to set up and trade Pokemon or take a few out or potentially sweep.

having AV is probably whatever for rilla as he won’t take hits as nice and your team is very weak to kyruem.

i would recommend maybe dropping iron moth for Hawlucha

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Encore

this set takes advantage of raging bolt with Tera ground and gives you better speed control as a sweeper and can help force a lot of Tera’s to be used defensively in order to stop him. obv stopped by skeledirge and donozo, but still great to have on the team.

can definitely drop samm-h for Glimmora yourself or go for a deoxys speed for anti lead with taunt, SR, spikes, and psycho boost with a sash as your anti lead.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes/ice beam
- Psycho Boost

as mention it’s a great anti lead vs glimmora and can go ice beam vs gliscor or landorus as well in the lead match up. access to taunt to prevent hazards and a stromg STAB move as well.

for gouging fire I would recommend this:

EVs: 212 HP / 48 Atk / 176 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Breaking Swipe
- Dragon Dance
- Morning Sun

enough speed to outspeed wellspring after one DD and so much bulk from the def boost with the ev spread you literally bounce great tusk’s attacks off and best garg as well if they aren’t Tera fairy curse set. I had a lot of success with this set and hit 1920 on ladder on an alt and got reqs with it for the gouging fire suspect. Going 82% gxe.

gholdengo should really be max def and hp with some speed

Gholdengo @ Grassy Seed
EVs: 192 HP / 192 Def / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

with this spread you hit 451 defense and attacks bounce off you and enough speed to outspee max defensive gliscor and sometimes bulky raging bolts who aren’t max speed modest. Also makes fighting roaring moon who can’t knock you off for max damage and with terrain makes EQ bounce and let’s you set up on ting lu for free under terrain.

for Rllsboom I know you said you were on the fence on Terrain extender, but I really recommend it.

Rillaboom @ Terrain Extender
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance
- High Horsepower
- Drain Punch/knock off

this is I set I use alot as youn invite glowking and raging bolts in a lot and at +2 you get a free OHKO on both while also helping KO opposing gholdengos when air balloon is popped. Drain punch was for kingambit as a lot sometimes stay in and you can get a free KO if max speed attack with no bulk and get HP back and SD can help with grassy glide with Tera grass to pick up KOs on stuff like iron val if needed. You can go knock off over drain punch if you want as gouging and Hawlucha help a lot vs kingambit.

over hatterene I feel you can get away with running Volcarona in this slot as your special attacker sweeper with this:

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 140 HP / 152 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance /flamethrower
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute/morning sun.
- Tera Blast

this EV spread is from finch’s volc set, but having it in terrain is really nice and with terrain extender gives you free lefties and sub is nice vs kingambit or to avoid being toxic by gliscor or status by glowking or clodsire. Tera ground for the coverage as you mentioned with iron moth and overall you’ll still have a fairy resist as well that can come in on iron val and enamorus. Morning sun is another option if you prefe having recovery. Also a kyurem switch in sometimes and with morning sun if used can heal the damage off.

but hope these suggestions help!

also my own GF terrain team that got my reqs for in a few hours for the suspect and hit 1920 with when I was testing it. https://pokepast.es/0d978878fd2d8639

Last edited:
Hey,

as someone who built a Gfire terrain team I really think going with the straight up def in g fire is way better then going sp def as the real threats to that set is lando with earth power and once set up you can really just set weaken lando through out the game and since your HO you mainly want to throw pokemon in and try to set up and trade Pokemon or take a few out or potentially sweep.

having AV is probably whatever for rilla as he won’t take hits as nice and your team is very weak to kyruem.

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Encore

this set takes advantage of raging bolt with Tera ground and gives you better speed control as a sweeper and can help force a lot of Tera’s to be used defensively in order to stop him. obv stopped by skeledirge and donozo, but still great to have on the team.

can definitely drop samm-h for Glimmora yourself or go for a deoxys speed for anti lead with taunt, SR, spikes, and psycho boost with a sash as your anti lead.

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes/ice beam
- Psycho Boost

as mention it’s a great anti lead vs glimmora and can go ice beam vs gliscor or landorus as well in the lead match up. access to taunt to prevent hazards and a stromg STAB move as well.

Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Breaking Swipe
- Dragon Dance
- Morning Sun

enough speed to outspeed wellspring after one DD and so much bulk from the def boost with the ev spread you literally bounce great tusk’s attacks off and best garg as well if they aren’t Tera fairy curse set. I had a lot of success with this set and hit 1920 on ladder on an alt and got reqs with it for the gouging fire suspect. Going 82% gxe.

Gholdengo @ Grassy Seed
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

with this spread you hit 451 defense and attacks bounce off you and enough speed to outspee max defensive gliscor and sometimes bulky raging bolts who aren’t max speed modest. Also makes fighting roaring moon who can’t knock you off for max damage and with terrain makes EQ bounce and let’s you set up on ting lu for free under terrain.

for Rllsboom I know you said you were on the fence on Terrain extender, but I really recommend it.

Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance
- High Horsepower
- Drain Punch/knock off

this is I set I use alot as youn invite glowking and raging bolts in a lot and at +2 you get a free OHKO on both while also helping KO opposing gholdengos when air balloon is popped. Drain punch was for kingambit as a lot sometimes stay in and you can get a free KO if max speed attack with no bulk and get HP back and SD can help with grassy glide with Tera grass to pick up KOs on stuff like iron val if needed. You can go knock off over drain punch if you want as gouging and Hawlucha help a lot vs kingambit.

over hatterene I feel you can get away with running Volcarona in this slot as your special attacker sweeper with this:

Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Tera Blast

this EV spread is from finch’s volc set, but having it in terrain is really nice and with terrain extender gives you free lefties and sub is nice vs kingambit or to avoid being toxic by gliscor or status by glowking or clodsire. Tera ground for the coverage as you mentioned with iron moth and overall you’ll still have a fairy resist as well that can come in on iron val and enamorus. Morning sun is another option if you prefe having recovery.

Thank you! I understand your reasonings for the changes and I will try them out here soon!

Hey,

Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Encore

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes/ice beam
- Psycho Boost

Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Breaking Swipe
- Dragon Dance
- Morning Sun

Gholdengo @ Grassy Seed
Bold Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Swords Dance
- High Horsepower
- Drain Punch/knock off

Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Tera Blast

this EV spread is from finch’s volc set, but having it in terrain is really nice and with terrain extender gives you free lefties and sub is nice vs kingambit or to avoid being toxic by gliscor or status by glowking or clodsire. Tera ground for the coverage as you mentioned with iron moth and overall you’ll still have a fairy resist as well that can come in on iron val and enamorus. Morning sun is another option if you prefe having recovery. Also a kyurem switch in sometimes and with morning sun if used can heal the damage off.

also my own GF terrain team that got my reqs for in a few hours for the suspect and hit 1920 with when I was testing it. https://pokepast.es/0d978878fd2d8639
Speed-wise for Rillaboom, if the suggested changes are made does it make sense to drop some speed for HP? Enough to still outspeed Raging Bolt but also getting a little more bulk to shrug off boosted resisted Thunderbolt or unboosted Draco?

Miyoko

Nature lover
Hi! I can provide u some better options that u can add in this team.

Changes
1) Try using :hawlucha: --> :samurott-hisui:

Firstly without an unburden mon, this teams look weak. So u can always try hawlucha. Unburden grassy seed hawlucha can sweep anything and everything. It is very very useful and the best partnerof rilaboom. And sd then acro + cc can kill anything. My suggested set is
:sv/hawlucha: :grassy seed:
Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Encore / Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat

2) Change :rillaboom: set to bulkier
Terrain extender + bulkier rila can help u u-turn our safely and assault vest can help u survive more hits too as ur set. Here is my set (u can check the sepa HO team in sample too)
:sv/rillaboom: :assault vest:
Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Grassy Glide
- Low Kick / Drain Punch
- Knock Off

3) Change :Hatterene: into :roaring moon: / :kingambit:
Now I know grassy seed Hatterene is very very helpful sweeper but u need something for late game too that does not need grassy terrain to rely on. Thus I would suggest u using Roaring Moon or Kingambit as suggest by VicBoss already. Here are my suggested sets
:sv/roaring moon: :booster energy:
Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- Brick Break / Earthquake
//
:sv/kingambit: :black glasses: / :leftovers:
Kingambit @ Leftovers / Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Ghost / Fighting
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head / Low Kick

Alternative Options
:sv/great tusk: :booster energy:
Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Rapid Spin
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
:sv/hydrapple: :assault vest:
Hydrapple @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 28 Def / 236 SpA
Modest Nature
- Fickle Beam
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Dragon Tail
:sv/Heatran: :air balloon:
Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
:sv/Landorus-therian: :Rocky Helmet:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- U-turn
- Grass Knot / Taunt
:sv/enamorus: :choice specs: / :choice scarf:
(Enamorus) @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish / Psychic
:sv/serperior: :leftovers:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Tera Type: Rock / Fire / Ground
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute / Taunt
- Glare / Leech Seed
- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast
:sv/cresselia: :grassy seed:
Cresselia (F) @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Poison / Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Moonblast / Tera Blast
- Moonlight
:sv/latias: :grassy seed:
Latias @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fairy / Poison
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss / Aura Sphere
- Recover
:sv/ogerpon-cornerstone: :cornerstone mask:
Ogerpon-Cornerstone (F) @ Cornerstone Mask
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Rock
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Power Whip / Grassy Glide / Horn Leech
- Low Kick / U-Turn / Knock Off / Encore

Pokepaste
Mine - :rillaboom: :iron moth: :gouging fire: :gholdengo: :hawlucha: :roaring moon:

Conclusion
Overall the team looks good and I like HO teams a lot. Consider VicBoss's suggestions as well. I hope u do good in the ladder with this team. Good luck laddering. Thank you!
:sv/mew: Bye :sv/mew:

Last edited:

VicBossMG

MGS enthusiast
Speed-wise for Rillaboom, if the suggested changes are made does it make sense to drop some speed for HP? Enough to still outspeed Raging Bolt but also getting a little more bulk to shrug off boosted resisted Thunderbolt or unboosted Draco?
After a SD high horse OHKOs and you don’t need bulk it deletes you anyway

+2 252+ Atk Rillaboom High Horsepower vs. 64 HP / 28 Def Raging Bolt: 464-546 (114 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

alot don’t expect this and on switch in if predicted 2HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)