Gothitelle

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I find that one of the best ways to use Gothitelle is to simple use its defensive Calm Mind set. Now, I'm not saying this is inferior to the Specs set, since it's too early to determine that now. However, since some of my sweepers and attackers are weak to certain defensive threats(it really depends on the team I'm using), Calm Mind Goth helps regulate most of their counters. I use the following:

Gothitelle @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Rest
- ???

On defensive Gothitelle, the first three moves are essential, given Gothitelle's limited access to healing moves. The EVs are also designed so that Gothitelle outruns uninvested base 70 Pokemon, and takes as little from Seismic Toss and random attacks as possible. This is especially for Chansey, who can only 4HKO Goth during Rest cycles. In the end, unles Chansey runs Thunder Wave (in which I'm questioning the opponent's use of Chansey) and gets lucky with full paralysis, it can only watch as Goth uses Rest and heals off all three Seismic Tosses. To be safe, however, keep the pressure on by using Psyshock occasionally. It is also advised to keep some paralysis support around, in case Goth needs to set up on certain threats.

The last slot is really just filler, but that very slot also pretty much determines how well Goth plays against certain threats. These are several possibilities:

Hidden Power Fire: mainly for the Steel-types coming in to tank Psyshock. Normally, Scizor U-turns you, Jirachi can just Wish stall you, Skarmory stalls and Whirlwinds you, and Ferrothorn just laughs as you try attacking with +6 Psyshock and just heals off damage with Leech Seed. With the exception of Jirachi (who can win by Iron Head flinching or using a CM set of its own), you can say Sayonara to the other three threats. Using Hidden Power Fire also makes Goth useful for trapping some specially-weak Steel-types if you don't need it to CM sweep.

Hidden Power Ground: same premise as HP Fire, except it hits Heatran (and Tyranitar...kinda) and it's a more reliable option against Jirachi in the rain.

Hidden Power Fighting
: Hits most Steel-types neutrally, and you gain an exceptional move against Dark-types, especially Specially Defensive Tyranitar.

Reflect: Somebody else posted a CM + Reflect set here, but I'll explain for prosperity. After all's done and you have successfully checkmated your trapped threat, use Reflect before going for the Psyshock to ensure Goth isn't easily bested by powerful physical attacks. This especially applies to Choice Band Dragonite, who survives Psyshock and 2HKOes before Reflect. Reflect also helps swallow down attacks from various Fighting-types, so that Goth can take them down with Psychock without a hitch.

Taunt: It's sort of an odd move considering Goth will often sleep for two turns thanks to Rest, but this is basically protection against phazing moves and status (so that Goth doesn't have to use Rest afterwards). It also helps against foes with recovery, so Goth can break down Skarmory, Latias, and friends more easily.

Sleep Talk: Okay, RestTalk. You're probably going "AG, but the sleep mechanics dude :(." Thanks to Shadow Tag, Gothitelle is one of the few Pokemon who can actually get away with using RestTalk this generation, precisely because it can choose to set up on whatever opponent it wants. With Sleep Talk, Gothitelle has a 2/3 chance to be active while Resting, and thus it barely has to budget its time CMing and using Psyshock. Sleep Talk also makes Gothitelle a decent status absorber against several threats, including Toxic users and Amoonguss (and Breloom to an extent, but it's risky). Definitely give this a try if you're using a Breloom or a Keldeo of your own.

Charm: sorta works the same way as Reflect, except it's permanent on trapped threats, and it stacks! It's a more unreliable option though, since Goth typically sets up only in front of special attackers and choice physical ones (in which case Charm's actually good). Suddenly, Scizor's Bullet Punch, Conkeldurr's Payback, and Terrakion's Stone Edge aren't so hard-hitting anymore (bar critical hits).

WHEN YOU SCARF THIS PIECE OF SHIT IT OUTRUNS +SPE TORNADUS-T BY 1 POINT. This thing was made for Choice Scarf, and is the best fucking Terrakion partner ever. Psychic / Grass Knot / HP Ice / Trick. Traps pretty much anything that gives Terrakion problems. Needs Grass Knot because fuck Hippowdon. Only problem is this shit can't ohko 252 HP Gliscor LOL.

As I said in one of my previous posts, I planned on testing Calm Mind Gothitelle. So far, my feelings are quite mixed. I tried putting it on a heavy offense team, but it seemed too slow. I then tried putting it on a team that was centered around Calm Mind Gothitelle, and that did pretty well, though the team was a bit, well, extreme. It just had a simple core that efficiently decimated the opponent, though it was very gimmicky. I had Wobbefet with charm and a Gothitelle with Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, and Trick Room. I wait until they bring a physical attacker in, death fodder something, then bring in Wobbefet. Wobbefet (defensive spread) uses charm until they are at -6. Then I either wait until wobbefet dies, or they use all their pp from their dark/ghost move(if they have one) and then switch to Gothitelle. With leftovers, Gothitelle easily gets to +6 in Sp.Atk and Sp.Def with good amounts of hp. You then use trick room and sweep. An end game sweeper is recommended on the team if using this core.

I might clean this post up later.

After a little testing its looks Sub is just as effective as Reflect, but it can help against flinchax, and can act as a buffer so gothiele gets at least one free attack most of the time unless they have dual chop or something.
As a scarfer its very weak (95 base is nothing like 130+), but it gets it accomplishes niche and it can pretty much guarantee whatever pokemon you want to have gone, you got it so your sweepers can have a easy sweep.
I've also found a Sitrus berry can be useful for preventing get 2koed by a some attacks, especially Draco meteor.

Through testing, I have found Gothitelle and Genesect to work as an excellent duo that can lure in and beat many pokemon that would cripple other members, such as removing Ferro to allow Kingdra to sweep, for example.

WHEN YOU SCARF THIS PIECE OF SHIT IT OUTRUNS +SPE TORNADUS-T BY 1 POINT. This thing was made for Choice Scarf, and is the best fucking Terrakion partner ever. Psychic / Grass Knot / HP Ice / Trick. Traps pretty much anything that gives Terrakion problems. Needs Grass Knot because fuck Hippowdon. Only problem is this shit can't ohko 252 HP Gliscor LOL.
+Speed or + SpA Nature on Gothgirl?

has anyone realized gothitelle has toxic, or is it just not as good as it sounds to me.
It could theoretically stall out a pokemon with rest and toxic, but why do that when you can 1HKO or 2HKO with your regular attacks. Also, psychic is such a bad typing defensively. Name a psychic type pokemon besides bronzong that uses toxic often. There isn't one that comes to mind. It's just past precedent that we don't use toxic on a psychic type.

Before I say another thing that makes me sound unintelligent, I feel like Gothitelle is just inferior if it has toxic. If you were to have a toxic set, it would be something like

Gothitelle@Leftovers
EV's-252hp/252Def/4SpD
Trait-Bold
Attacks
-Psyshock/Psychic
-Thunderbolt/Grass Knot
-Rest
-Toxic

Ok, now that set could toxic and slowly kill an opponent. Or you could replace toxic with Calm Mind and set-up slowly. After the same amount of time has passed for the toxic damage alone to kill, you could be at +4 in both stats, easily enough to somewhat sweep with, or at least kill 2 pokemon, instead of 1.

Lugia? Claydol? Maybe Slowbro if not running T-Wave
It was a rhetorical question, but nonetheless, I shall give your answer an answer. I haven't extended my knowledge of pokemon into ubers, as I do not like the environment, where creative is a bit, well, crowded. So I didn't know about Lugia. Claydol is rarely seen(though the ones I see use ice beam over toxic), and I haven't seen a slowbro run toxic in probably a month. They just get worn down by u-turners.

I actually could see at least one reason to run Toxic Stall Goth over one of its potentially more powerful alternatives: It can switch out the turn before something dies of Toxic so it doesn't have to worry about being Pursuit trapped. While Sub-Calm Mind also does that, Toxic stall Goth has the added advantage of having three free moveslots to potentially run attacks, Rest, or whatever in as opposed to SubCM's two. Essentially it turns Goth into an instant death sentence for anything not Poison- or Steel type that can't kill it before dying of Toxic damage and allows it to care a lot less about things that beat it one on one since it can just escape before they get the chance to attempt to do so.

Probably not the best Goth set, but I'd say it definitely has some use, though I admit I haven't run any calcs to see if there are enough things that can't kill it in the time it would need to outstall them for it to be viable outside the lower tiers.

It isn't sub calm mind, it's just CM with 3 other options. And rest would sorta be needed on both toxic stall and calm mind variants, or else it really couldn't toxic stall that long.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
i just saw this in a different thread and i hope the user who originally posted it isn't too mad that i'm stealing his thunder, but did anybody realize that gothitelle gets signal beam?

this turns it into a whole new type of weapon. mostly i've been using it on sand offense and weatherless hyper offense teams, but now that i know it can also remove celebi from the equation, i think it would be very worth trying out a choice specs signal beam set on a rain offense team. specifically a combination of gothitelle, cm keldeo, and agility thundurus-t could function extremely well under rain.

thoughts?

i just saw this in a different thread and i hope the user who originally posted it isn't too mad that i'm stealing his thunder, but did anybody realize that gothitelle gets signal beam?

this turns it into a whole new type of weapon. mostly i've been using it on sand offense and weatherless hyper offense teams, but now that i know it can also remove celebi from the equation, i think it would be very worth trying out a choice specs signal beam set on a rain offense team. specifically a combination of gothitelle, cm keldeo, and agility thundurus-t could function extremely well under rain.

thoughts?
That is a great idea. Although any tipe of thundurus-t would be effective.
A big threat would be Sash Alakazam if he catches thundurus off guard. Thats why a Jirachi could be added to that team for a perfect combo ! :D

Lavos

Banned deucer.
That is a great idea. Although any tipe of thundurus-t would be effective.
A big threat would be Sash Alakazam if he catches thundurus off guard. Thats why a Jirachi could be added to that team for a perfect combo ! :D
well yeah, those 3 need support of course, probably in the form of 1) hazards, and 2) specially defensive jirachi to tank hits from opposing thundurus-t and keldeo, as well as other big threats like tornadus-t who could potentially prevent the core from setting up. and then politoed for the rain support to boost keldeo's primary stab and give thundurus-t access to reliable thunder. i'm going to give this a test drive on showdown and get back to you all.

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am using the following set on my stall team

@Choice Scarf!!!
252 HP / 4 Def /252 SpDef
Calm Nature
-Trick
-Psychic
-torment
-Protect
Trick your item to a rapid spinner (bar starmine) like forre, torment it then protect and see what happens :D
Also works with choiced pokes that are locked into some weak move than she can wall all day

@Choice Specs
252 SpA 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Thunder
-HP Fighting

Sunny day Assassin

84% Chance to OHKO standard Hippowdon
2HKO T-tar
Does 83% to 98% to standard Politoad while tanking it's hydro pump

@Choice Specs
252 SpA 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Thunder
-HP Fighting

Sunny day Assassin

84% Chance to OHKO standard Hippowdon
2HKO T-tar
Does 83% to 98% to standard Politoad while tanking it's hydro pump
It's a shame but the gothi can't learn Thunder.

By the way, Do you think that mon is almost an automatic win against Full Stall not carrying Shed Shell? It is a lot more difficult to play around it. Almost double switches or U-turn/Volt Switch which are rare on a stall teams.

The current Gothitelle I use is:

Gothitelle@Choice Specs
184 HP/252 SpA/72 Speed
Modest
-Psyshock
-Thunderbolt
-Energy Ball
-HP Ice

Works well on my voltturn team of Genesect, Landorus-T, Rotom-W, and Jirachi. Main goal is to trap physical walls like Gliscor, Forretress, Celebi, Skarm, Xatu, etc. to open up a Techloom sweep and Lando-T clean up. I also find myself trapping other pokes like Jellicent, thanks to a slow u-turn from Jirachi and bulky Rotom.

Psyshock covers those Volcaronas that think they can set up on me, and if Ttar/Scizor traps me then Breloom gets a free Swords Dance/Spore up for a nice sweep.

I might consider HP Fire, since it does handle Ferrothorn, and I lack a spinner, but HP Ice takes out Gliscor, a fairly important check to TechLoom.

It's a shame but the gothi can't learn Thunder.

By the way, Do you think that mon is almost an automatic win against Full Stall not carrying Shed Shell? It is a lot more difficult to play around it. Almost double switches or U-turn/Volt Switch which are rare on a stall teams.
Yeah, pretty much if this thing gets a calm mind set up with Thunderbolt and Psyshock, it destroys stall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)