Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg pardon, Can't believe I said Belly Drum. I meant to say Agility. LOL

Agility Diggersby
Thankfully most of what I said still applies (since I feel the primary function of a core is to allow teammates switch-in opportunities). After an agility with 240 EVs in speed (neutral nature), you'll outrun Deoxys-S, so, basically everything that isn't choice scarved, priority or also speed boosting needs to be in check somehow.

You'll more than likely want stealth rocks and maybe spikes to assist in your sweep, so maybe have a preference for rapid spin over defog. Jellicent can spin block and attracts ghost and electric moves, two things Diggersby is immune to. I'm not sure if anyone else has a Jellicent in their core here, but you could replace Tentacruel with Jellicent from mine. It'd give you two lightning rods and would have a weakness to ghost attacks.

Jellicent / Ferrothorn / Togekiss

Jellicent on spin blocker duty and being useful with giga drain, scald, ghost STAB, recover and/or will-o-wisp. Ferrothorn setting rocks and leech seeding things. Togekiss can wish pass and use heal bell, although it may not be as necessary or could use a different set since Jellicent has recover.

Thankfully most of what I said still applies (since I feel the primary function of a core is to allow teammates switch-in opportunities). After an agility with 240 EVs in speed (neutral nature), you'll outrun Deoxys-S, so, basically everything that isn't choice scarved, priority or also speed boosting needs to be in check somehow.

You'll more than likely want stealth rocks and maybe spikes to assist in your sweep, so maybe have a preference for rapid spin over defog. Jellicent can spin block and attracts ghost and electric moves, two things Diggersby is immune to. I'm not sure if anyone else has a Jellicent in their core here, but you could replace Tentacruel with Jellicent from mine. It'd give you two lightning rods and would have a weakness to ghost attacks.

Jellicent / Ferrothorn / Togekiss

Jellicent on spin blocker duty and being useful with giga drain, scald, ghost STAB, recover and/or will-o-wisp. Ferrothorn setting rocks and leech seeding things. Togekiss can wish pass and use heal bell, although it may not be as necessary or could use a different set since Jellicent has recover.
If I had a core of 3 (used for Battle Maison? haha)
then would Jellicent, Diggersby, and Togekiss be a good, usable core? Thank you so much!
P.S. Any substitute for Jellicent until Pokebank comes out?

I was also wondering what Pokemon would fit in a core with Avalugg. I have a perfected maxhp and defense Avalugg and I want to create a core for it. I simply ADORE this pokemon and would love for it to find family members of its own. :)

I have a core of Choice scarf brave bird Staraptor, Dual Screens Magic Bounce Espeon, Mega Banette and Choice Scarf Mixed Nidoking (who actually destroys alot of the meta, like talonflame, gengar, aegislash, faeries, steels, etc) but have trouble rounding it out. I think I need a fire and a decent special wall. My last team I usually teamed Shedinja with Espeon to lure out toxic or stealth rocks which I'd bounce back by switching in Espeon but I dont think Shedinja would be that good in this meta. Any advice?

Last edited:
I have a core of Choice scarf brave bird Staraptor, Dual Screens Magic Bounce Espeon, Mega Banette and Choice Scarf Mixed Nidoking (who actually destroys alot of the meta, like talonflame, gengar, aegislash, faeries, steels, etc) but have trouble rounding it out. I think I need a fire and a decent special wall. My last team I usually teamed Shedinja with Espeon to lure out toxic or stealth rocks which I'd bounce back by switching in Espeon but I dont think Shedinja would be that good in this meta. Any advice?
YES! Another Nidoking fan! I really feel he gets under used (badum-tss) even though he is an amazing offensive force.
Now, while I run life orb and sticky web support I nonetheless am curious as to what kind of moveset and EV spread you're running. I've been trying to find a way to utilize his newly buffed attack but came up flat.

If I had a core of 3 (used for Battle Maison? haha)
then would Jellicent, Diggersby, and Togekiss be a good, usable core? Thank you so much!
P.S. Any substitute for Jellicent until Pokebank comes out?

I was also wondering what Pokemon would fit in a core with Avalugg. I have a perfected maxhp and defense Avalugg and I want to create a core for it. I simply ADORE this pokemon and would love for it to find family members of its own. :)
Ah, sorry. Well then... There isn't really anything to replace Jellicent. But Slowbro (or Slowking if you prefer more special defence, but Slowbro's weaknesses are mostly special) can probably fill the gap of attracting lightning and ghosties pretty well. Its other three weaknesses, dark, bug and grass, are resisted by Togekiss.

I'm thinking of having a defensive core of Mega Aggron and Bulky Gyarados, however I'm currently struggling to think of a third to complement them... The best option I've thought of so far is a Wish passing Fairy type, that can both take special hits well and support the other two who lack direct ways of recovery. Another option could be Goodra, I really like the look of that Pokemon but haven't really seen much of him in action, can people who have had experience (with either a fitting Fairy poke or Goodra) report how they've found the performances of these 'mons/core typing?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
most defensive cores are crushed by special luke/blaziken/gengar. ill think of some decent mons that synergize well only to.have my dreams crushed by one of those pokemon.

I'm thinking of having a defensive core of Mega Aggron and Bulky Gyarados, however I'm currently struggling to think of a third to complement them... The best option I've thought of so far is a Wish passing Fairy type, that can both take special hits well and support the other two who lack direct ways of recovery. Another option could be Goodra, I really like the look of that Pokemon but haven't really seen much of him in action, can people who have had experience (with either a fitting Fairy poke or Goodra) report how they've found the performances of these 'mons/core typing?
That core is begging for paralysis support. A Klefki can set up priority screens, use Thunder wave and set up Spike which benefits everyone greatly. Togekiss likewise can do the same, Defog Stealth Rock which at this point would hit you and Gyarados hard, paralyze and paraflinch chance with Air Slash. Aggron could really abuse Thunderwave, Rest, Sleep Talk and Iron Head/Dragon Tail. Aggron doesn't hit hard enough by itself and should have max HP and Df. This will maximize your bulk and you can shuffle with Dragon Tail or get free hits with Iron Head. This can help pave the way for a Gyarados DD sweep. Clefable is another good Fairy that can dual screen, wish pass, use Aromatherapy, Stealth Rocks, and either breaks stall with Magic Guard or sweepers with Unaware. Or maybe you could just use a Blissed for supreme special walling.

Alright guys what do you think of this:

Drifblim@Weakness Policy
Unburden
Careful 252 HP/114 Def/72 Sp.Def/72 Speed. This grants 428 speed after unburden - just enough to outspeed +1 Blaziken - Defenses are enough to survive Blaziken Stone Edge and Galvantula Thunder.. but only just. You could also run 204 speed to outrun +1 Mega Blaziken.
-Stockpile
-Baton Pass
-Will-o-wisp//Minimize/Substitute
-Acrobatics

Hindenburg here has enough bulk to survive an unboosted supereffective attack from most pokemon I'd wager. Can survive unboosted LO Blaziken's Stone Miss (non-crit) or Galvantula's Thunder and OHKO them with Acrobatics. Idea here is to Stockpile on turn one and take a SE hit, which will activate Weakness Policy and then you'll have Unburden activated as well. Minimize (if your decided rules allow for it) or Sub could be used if you're not threatened immediately by the opponent. As long as you aren't in danger of being priority-KO'd and you still outspeed the opponent after Unburden, you can pass at a minimum 6 stat buffs to Sigilyph on turn one: +2 Att, +2 Sp.Att, +1 Def, and +1 Sp. Def (or +2 Evasion, or sub)

Sigilyph can then go standard Cosmic Power...

Sigilyph@Flame Orb
Magic Guard
Timid 252 HP/252 Speed
-Psycho Shift
-Stored Power
-Roost
-Cosmic Power/Dazzling Gleam

If successful, Drifblim ends up passing 6 boosts to Sigilyph (on turn two, perhaps!), instantly putting Stored Power to a brutal 140 base power before STAB. Not to mention you've got +2 Sp.Att and +1 defenses (or +2 evasion) on top of that. With this in mind, you could go for Dazzling Gleam over Cosmic Power to avoid any trouble with dark types. But if Drifblim fails, Sigilyph will be hurting without Cosmic Power to support itself.

I like playing around with pokemon people forget.

Unrelated to this, I was thinking of pokemon to counter Rotom-W. Goodra seems like a good fit... and then I realized a Goodra that counters Rotom-W is also a great PARTNER to Rotom-W as well. Ugh. I hate Rotom-W.

Alright guys what do you think of this:

Drifblim@Weakness Policy
Unburden
Careful 252 HP/114 Def/72 Sp.Def/72 Speed. This grants 428 speed after unburden - just enough to outspeed +1 Blaziken - Defenses are enough to survive Blaziken Stone Edge and Galvantula Thunder.. but only just. You could also run 204 speed to outrun +1 Mega Blaziken.
-Stockpile
-Baton Pass
-Will-o-wisp//Minimize/Substitute
-Acrobatics

Hindenburg here has enough bulk to survive an unboosted supereffective attack from most pokemon I'd wager. Can survive unboosted LO Blaziken's Stone Miss (non-crit) or Galvantula's Thunder and OHKO them with Acrobatics. Idea here is to Stockpile on turn one and take a SE hit, which will activate Weakness Policy and then you'll have Unburden activated as well. Minimize (if your decided rules allow for it) or Sub could be used if you're not threatened immediately by the opponent. As long as you aren't in danger of being priority-KO'd and you still outspeed the opponent after Unburden, you can pass at a minimum 6 stat buffs to Sigilyph on turn one: +2 Att, +2 Sp.Att, +1 Def, and +1 Sp. Def (or +2 Evasion, or sub)

Sigilyph can then go standard Cosmic Power...

Sigilyph@Flame Orb
Magic Guard
Timid 252 HP/252 Speed
-Psycho Shift
-Stored Power
-Roost
-Cosmic Power/Dazzling Gleam

If successful, Drifblim ends up passing 6 boosts to Sigilyph (on turn two, perhaps!), instantly putting Stored Power to a brutal 140 base power before STAB. Not to mention you've got +2 Sp.Att and +1 defenses (or +2 evasion) on top of that. With this in mind, you could go for Dazzling Gleam over Cosmic Power to avoid any trouble with dark types. But if Drifblim fails, Sigilyph will be hurting without Cosmic Power to support itself.

I like playing around with pokemon people forget.

Unrelated to this, I was thinking of pokemon to counter Rotom-W. Goodra seems like a good fit... and then I realized a Goodra that counters Rotom-W is also a great PARTNER to Rotom-W as well. Ugh. I hate Rotom-W.
They share way too many weaknesses(Ghost/Dark/Rock/Ice/Electric)! I don't see this working.

That core is begging for paralysis support. A Klefki can set up priority screens, use Thunder wave and set up Spike which benefits everyone greatly. Togekiss likewise can do the same, Defog Stealth Rock which at this point would hit you and Gyarados hard, paralyze and paraflinch chance with Air Slash. Aggron could really abuse Thunderwave, Rest, Sleep Talk and Iron Head/Dragon Tail. Aggron doesn't hit hard enough by itself and should have max HP and Df. This will maximize your bulk and you can shuffle with Dragon Tail or get free hits with Iron Head. This can help pave the way for a Gyarados DD sweep. Clefable is another good Fairy that can dual screen, wish pass, use Aromatherapy, Stealth Rocks, and either breaks stall with Magic Guard or sweepers with Unaware. Or maybe you could just use a Blissed for supreme special walling.
Clefairy and Togekiss sound like very nice options actually. I've been using a Klefki and agree that it does give some nice support, however I would prefer not to have a defensive core of three poke's without reliable recovery. Still, I think Klefki could well have a place on a team with these guys as T-wave support is a must with a team so slow!

Clefairy and Togekiss sound like very nice options actually. I've been using a Klefki and agree that it does give some nice support, however I would prefer not to have a defensive core of three poke's without reliable recovery. Still, I think Klefki could well have a place on a team with these guys as T-wave support is a must with a team so slow!
You could always run Wish/Heal Bell Sylveon instead of Clefable if you wanted to. Sylveon does "less" (read, has a smaller movepool) but has better stats for a wall and pairs with MegAggron quite nicely.

G MONEY (Greninja) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Spikes

6.02 x 10^23 (Excadrill) (F) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

LARGE TALONS (Talonflame) (M) @ Sky Plate
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

K so this is an offensive core I've been using. Greninja weakens Rotom and other bulky Waters, beats bulky Ground types like Gliscor and Lando T while setting-up Spikes that support the rest of the team. Excadrill spins, sets up rocks, threatens Fairy types and lures in shit for Greninja to force out and setup on. Exca also beats Rotom-W with Mold Breaker. Talonflame loves hazard support and a stealth rock free side of the field so naturally it'd fit in this core. He can beat the Ghost/Grass-types that can give Excadrill trouble too. Also all of his main counters (Heatran, TTar, Rotom-w, support Landorus-T, etc) are crushed by Greninja and Excadrill so it's easy to clean lategame.

btw I use Naive nature on Greninja because I don't want Genesect to get an atk boost on his U-turn so that my other mons can tank it a little better.

I've been brainstorming, and would a Mega-Gardevoir and some sort of bulky Water also be a good core with Agility Diggersby? Just a thought.

My core for BW was dragonite lucario and Milotic. T'was amazing!

Lucario
Adamant nature
Evs 252 attk/252/spe/4HP
Close combat
Crunch
Extreme speed (what else really?)
Rock slide

This lucario was amazing at smashing through stuff killing at least one Pokemon and crippling another focus sash is for lucario to survive an attack crunch was there for latios latias and chandelure extreme speed for picking off pokemon with low health and Rick slide was there cause I hated volcrona and I didn't like stone edge's 5 pp and accuracy

Milotic
Bold nature
Evs 252Hp/252 def/4spd

Scald
Recover
Toxic
Ice beam

This was meant for wearing down bulky tanks and walls will scald burns and toxic damage. Ice beam for dragons scald for burning physical Pokemon recover for healing and toxic for wearing walls down. It was a good status absorber switching in on t-wave getting a marvel scale boost

Dragonite
Multiscale
Adamant
Evs 252 attk/252 spe/ 4 HP
choice scarf

Outrage
Super power
Fire punch
Extreme speed

My main man, this dragonite was awesome at cleaning up lucario and milotic's messes. Choice scarf out speeding everything in the tier all I had to do was select the appropriate move and sweep. Superpower for tyranitar and terrakion outrage for STAB extreme speed for priority and fire punch for Scizor and ferrothorn. What made this dragonite so awesome was that it tricked so many people into thinking it was a typical dragon dance set making them keep thier latios terrakion or garchomp in then I nail then with the appropriate move.

So yeah that's it. I know it's probably out dated but I'd like to keep using if so if someone could help me adapt it to this new meta game I would apreciate that greatly

Not exactly. They have wildly different counters, what with Charizard-Y being a special attacker and Barbaracle being a physical attacker. A core I saw used in BW2 was SD Lucario and Scarf Terrakion. SD Lucario broke through shit like Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Skarmory so Terrakion could clean up late game with Close Combat.
Not sure if someone mentioned this already in the month it's been up, but Gliscor (at least my Gliscor) is a straight up hard counter to every Lucario I've seen and my personal switch in every time I see one. Either they immediately switch back out or it eats it with my Gliscor remaining at about 75% if not higher. Not to mention Protect being live again, so that's another 1/8th I'm recovering.

Not sure if someone mentioned this already in the month it's been up, but Gliscor (at least my Gliscor) is a straight up hard counter to every Lucario I've seen and my personal switch in every time I see one. Either they immediately switch back out or it eats it with my Gliscor remaining at about 75% if not higher. Not to mention Protect being live again, so that's another 1/8th I'm recovering.
That's because Lucario suffers from 4MSS. On carts Gliscor is a hard counter, but once the Pokebank goes up and on Pokebank OU, good luck taking a Ice Punch from Mega Lucario.

- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Spikes

- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

K so this is an offensive core I've been using. Greninja weakens Rotom and other bulky Waters, beats bulky Ground types like Gliscor and Lando T while setting-up Spikes that support the rest of the team. Excadrill spins, sets up rocks, threatens Fairy types and lures in shit for Greninja to force out and setup on. Exca also beats Rotom-W with Mold Breaker. Talonflame loves hazard support and a stealth rock free side of the field so naturally it'd fit in this core. He can beat the Ghost/Grass-types that can give Excadrill trouble too. Also all of his main counters (Heatran, TTar, Rotom-w, support Landorus-T, etc) are crushed by Greninja and Excadrill so it's easy to clean lategame.

btw I use Naive nature on Greninja because I don't want Genesect to get an atk boost on his U-turn so that my other mons can tank it a little better.
A Jolteon and A Gourgeist can mess up this set. Jolteon does not fear priority BB since he resisted it and also because Talonflame attack is not that high. He has medicore stats. One STAB electric and this bird is gone. 126 speed from Talonflame is outsped by 130 speed from Jolteon so he can't use Flare Blitz. Jolteon also can easily deal with Greninja since it runs HP Ice which messes up the HP Grass by Greninja. Gourgeist just does not care about unboosted Excadrill at all. He resisted EQ, take neutral from Iron Head, and he has enough tools to scare off any switch-ins with Leech Seed and Shadow Ball STAB.

Jol
A Jolteon and A Gourgeist can mess up this set. Jolteon does not fear priority BB since he resisted it and also because Talonflame attack is not that high. He has medicore stats. One STAB electric and this bird is gone. 126 speed from Talonflame is outsped by 130 speed from Jolteon so he can't use Flare Blitz. Jolteon also can easily deal with Greninja since it runs HP Ice which messes up the HP Grass by Greninja. Gourgeist just does not care about unboosted Excadrill at all. He resisted EQ, take neutral from Iron Head, and he has enough tools to scare off any switch-ins with Leech Seed and Shadow Ball STAB.
Jolteon? Pretty sure exca rapes it. Also thing is rare as hell lol. It's frail and probably dies to bb after some hazards anyways. Despite resisting it.
More importantly; a core isn't a team. They are a few mons that just function extremely well with each other and a core will always have something that is problematic.
Espeed lo Genesect is a threat to this core specificly so the rest of the 3 mons need to handle it.

- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Spikes

- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Swords Dance

For your Excadrill, I'd say run 112 Speed evs and putting the rest in HP. That'll give you enough to outspeed any rotom forme not holding a scarf while also giving you more bulk to deal with hp: ice from things like jolteon or thundurus. This could probably be optimized further, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)