Other Good Cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems like a solid bulky offensive core, if only because they fulfill similar roles while complimenting each other.

Tyranitar
Sandstream | Assault Vest
Naughty 180 Def / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast

Tyrantrum
Strong Jaw | Assault Vest
Adamant 252-? HP / 252 Atk / ? Spe
-Head Smash
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
Not when they're both weak to Fighting and Steel moves.

Defensive Core:
Chesnaught + Heatran + Jellicent

Chesnaught
Bulletproof | Leftovers
Impish 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Spiky Shield/Synthesis
-Hammer Arm/Wood Hammer

Heatran
Flash Fire | Leftovers
Calm 248 HP / 252 SpDef / 8 Def
-Stealth Rock
-Roar
-Lava Plume
-Protect/Toxic

Jellicent
Water Absorb | Leftovers
Bold 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef
-Will-o-wisp
-Taunt
-Scald
-Recover

Physically defensive Chesnaught can switch into Earthquake, Waterfall, and special based fighting moves like Focus Blast (due to bulletproof) that threaten specially Defensive Heatran and proceed to lay down spikes while Heatran can switch in to any flying, fairy, fire, ice, psychic and physical poison move (bullet proof is immune to sludge bomb) that threaten Chesnaught and lay down stealth rock. Then you can add Jellicent into the mix to spin block and/or taunt defog users. Jellicent can also switch into any physical fighting attack that threatens heatran and proceed to burn. Chesnaught can switch in to grass/electric/dark moves and Gengar/Mega Gengar that threaten Jellicent due to Bulletproof. Jellicent can switch into any special water pokemon with ice coverage move that threaten Heatran. Jellicent can switch into any fire/ice/physical poison move that threaten Chesnaught.

Last edited:
Alright, thank you for the analysis. So I need a physical sponge or wall, and Dragonite is no good here without an in-core spinner? Then I need to find a way to counter physical dragons?

Alright, I have a question first. I would like to build this core around Gardevoir. Is there a chance that she will make OU, or should I aim for a lower tier? If she is OU capable, then would Ferrothorn be a good place to start in building a core, then?
Forretress + Gardevoir + DDnite might work, though Forretress walling qualities suffered quite a lot in Gen 5.
If you scratch DDnite, Mega-Aggron + Gardevoir seems decent, however I honestly don't see much advantages Gardevoir has other Sylveon. Trace is nice though, I guess.
I'd say Gardevoir will be useable in UU thanks to it's newfound typing, but not so much OU because of lackluster HP and Def.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

These three.

Here's my new take on the classic W/G/F core. They have perfect synergy and there are lots of possibilities between them.
I love this core as well, perfect synergy in the F/W/G core, and then their secondary types make another great Dark/Ghost/Steel core to cover their other weaknesses. Just a note that Trevenant doesn't get Shadow Sneak, but Gourgeist does and would probably fill that role a bit better here. It has much better physical bulk as well as being a faster WoW and Leech Seed user. Trevenant does have the superior healing options with Harvest and Horn Leech though.

Speaking of Heatran, I think he's going to be a key player this gen and pairs well with nearly any Dragon or Ghost. (Mega)Gengar, Gourgeist/Trevenant, and a special shout-out to Hydreigon. Hydreigon needs support now that it's been cursed with a new 4x weakness this gen, but Heatran has a 4x resist to Fairy. Both of them are powerful special attackers that can wear down the opponent's checks. Defensively:

Hydreigon is immune to Heatran's 4x Ground weakness, resists Water, and has Dark/Ghost resists which Heatran lost.
Heatran takes the Fairy and Bug attacks easily, along with resisting Dragon and Ice.

Slap on one of the aforementioned Ghost-types to patch up that Fighting problem, and you've got a solid core!

AND

So ferrothorn. The undisputed king of defensive behemoths in B/W. He has a problem. This problem is named Aegislash. Completely walls and sets up all over ferro, not to mention OHKO's at +2. Hippodon covers that. Hard. He can switch into even a LO Swords dance set. (Which is honestly kind of awful)

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb (custom) Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 199-235 (47.38 - 55.95%) -- 23.83% chance to 2HKO

Hippo rolls over and then can either smash it with Stab EQ or phaze it out with whirlwind. I presonally prefer whirlwind to cause damage with the spikes that ferro sets up. Ferro also tanks alot of special attacks thrown at ferro. The core really doesn't like strong special attackers with fire STAB, or even fire coverage. Works well with heatran or bulky waters, jellicent gets a special mention with an immunity to focus blast.

I like these three. Cover each other's weaknesses perfectly, all three are bulky with strong offensive capabilities. Maybe substitute Trevenant for Gourgeist - I haven't fully weighed the pros and cons of the two.

They're pretty slow, but with a sticky web lead Trevenant makes for a strong spinblocker, and Rotom-H's 86 speed and Bisharp's 70 speed become good enough to sweep with speed EVs. Without sticky web, invest in bulk and you have a strong bulky offensive core. I haven't actually done calculations, so this is off the top of my head - let me know if I'm way off base.

Any thoughts on this?

[Little bit of a preface: this is only my second post. If you spot an oversight, please flag it up!] :)

The basis behind this core is leading with an anti-galvantula mon, in this case, Cloyster (all will be explained in the movesets below), to stop them getting up sticky web, then switching into galvantula to put up your own sticky web. This enables Togekiss to run a set far more fierce than any paraflinch set in previous generations: with a high SpA due to not having to max out Togekiss's speed EVs you have an offensive beast that flinches mons and covers most of the metagame.

Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
25 HP / 252 Atk / 231 Spe
Jolly
-Rock Blast
-Icicle Spear
-Razor Shell
-Ice Shard/Poison Jab

1HKOs sash'd Galvantula lead with Rock Blast and outspeeds Weavile. Rock Blast can then 100% 1HKO Weavile, the only other real Galv check. Razor Shell is a way to tackle lead Infernape, and provides good physical STAB coverage against newly found assault vest Heatrans -and more importantly- assault vest Ttar, 2HKO'ing after taking a Fire Blast. Ice Shard is a standard piece of utility, but with Scarf it might just be worth running Poison Jab for fairy types since the only non-scarf'd mons that outspeed you at this point are Crobat, Jolteon and Meloetta anyway.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compoundeyes
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
-Thunder
-Bug Buzz
-HP: Ice
-Sticky Web

Compoundeyes Thunder and Sticky Web complimenting Togekiss perfectly. That is all.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
252 HP / 72 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest
-Air Slash
-Roost
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast
-Aura Sphere

When the opposing mon is at -1, togekiss will outspeed almost everything potentially OU apart from crobat and jolteon, with a speed stat high enough to topple starmie and raikou, two potential threats. SpA EVs of 72 allow Togekiss to 2HKO non-SD Heatran and almost always 2HKO leftovers tank Bronzong:
72+ SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 88+ SpD Bronzong: 176-208 (52.07 - 61.53%) -- 96.09% chance to 2HKO
72+ SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 170-200 (52.63 - 61.91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Serene Grace and outspeeding most the meta, with amazing coverage and considerable SpA makes Togekiss a beast in this core.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MegaBlastoise works nice with this core as an unblockable and therefore reliable spinner.

Last edited:
Greninja+ Mega Venusaur + aegislash, they cover each others weaknesses easily and allow me to take out common threats like ferrothorn or more specialized ones like malamar which can wreck you if unprepared, while being able to shut down any wall or other aegislash with a well used sleep powder and some seed stalling, and i can take care of what's left and get a nice U-turn'ing lead with Greninja. aegislash do like aegislash do, isn't that enough of an explanation?

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Aegislash Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 199-235 (47.38 - 55.95%) -- 23.83% chance to 2HKO

Hippo rolls over and then can either smash it with Stab EQ or phaze it out with whirlwind.
I just wanted to LMAO some more about Hippowdon and how completely awesome it is.

How about replacing Talonflame/Noivern with Crobat with Infliltrator? He has access to Defog and U-turn (and Hypnosis?). You can probably still run Spikes and Sticky Web as a Volt-turn core to reapply your hazards if defog was needed (or they were spun away)
For a spinblocker & Special Wall breaker you could go with Aegislash. So the core would look like:

-Greninja
-Galvantula
- Crobat
- Aegislash

This core really appeals to be as it covers most bases in terms of resistance, has hazards, has volt-turn, has hazard clearing and they all look damn cool doing it ;)
Yeah that looks pretty cool. I'll try something like that. I was considering Trevenant (how do you spell it?) as the spinblocker. It also makes a nice F/W/G core.

Been really looking at
/
/

Volcarona is a solid special sweeper with decent bulk and one super notable weakness to SR. Mega Blastoise is a new spinner that is incredibly dangerous to spinblock with Mega launcher Dark pulse, Water pulse, and aura sphere coverage. Gliscor is an incredible physically defensive wall that resists quakeedge, immune to any stray thunderbolts launched at blastoise, and can take a variety of physical hits, as well as set up SR of it's own. Compliment it with a Bulky Gyarados to cover Volcarona.

My one issue is that it's semi-Gyarados weak. Not all too familiar with most BW threats, either, as I missed out on that gen.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

I like these three. Cover each other's weaknesses perfectly, all three are bulky with strong offensive capabilities. Maybe substitute Trevenant for Gourgeist - I haven't fully weighed the pros and cons of the two.

They're pretty slow, but with a sticky web lead Trevenant makes for a strong spinblocker, and Rotom-H's 86 speed and Bisharp's 70 speed become good enough to sweep with speed EVs. Without sticky web, invest in bulk and you have a strong bulky offensive core. I haven't actually done calculations, so this is off the top of my head - let me know if I'm way off base.

Any thoughts on this?
Charizard x grabs a dd on trevanent and sweeps the whole core.

Has anyone else tried Charizard-Y+Snorlax+Latios+Sticky Web

Still new to this core thing so tell me if I'm wrong.

But Galvantula runs Sticky Web so that Charizard Y is fast. Neither Snorlax nor Charizard, not Latios care about Web on their side. Snorlax is able to break all those Dragon, Fire, and Rock types that give Zard Y trouble. Latios gets rid of the Special Walls. Charizard can get rid of everything else.

Trying to get around needing to use Latios though :/. Snorlax and Charizard seem to work together well though.

Been thinking about a bulky offensive core with an old favorite, another with a new leash on life and a new guy I have been enjoying. Thoughts and other 3 slot advice appreciated:

- Multiscale Dragonite: DD/Roost/EQ/ Dragon Claw
- Aegislash with usual set
- Mega Blastoise with Dark Pulse and Rapid Spin

They cover eathother's weaknesses very well. M.Blastoise is proving amazing at killing spinblockers. Almost always wins out against M.Gengar and Aegislash with Dark Pulse. Dragonite likes SR removed from spinning. Good predictions can lead to easy set up turns for Aegis & Dragonite.

I am worried that Dragonite will get completely walled by Togekiss with this set, what moves could he have instead?

What do people think? What goes with these guys?
I thought of this too, and ran a few calcs to see how effective it is.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SDef / 60 Def / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

This set is mostly fueled by paranoia over the mega evos, so it's just an example, be it a good or bad one.

+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 133-156 (34.45 - 40.41%) -- 52.25% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 152-179 (39.37 - 46.37%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

A single Dragon Dance with this spread also outspeeds Jolly Mega Lucario (if I did the math right,) who you can OHKO the next turn with Fire Punch if he used Close Combat, else you might have to phaze him out with Dragon Tail. This set trades an OHKO against Blaziken to not be completely walled by Togekiss, which may or may not be a worthy trade. You could just forego STAB altogether and run EQ/Ice Punch, but I'm not sure if it's merited, especially since resetting your opponent's Blaziken leaves it vulnerable.

And as for Aegislash:
252+ SpA Mega-Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash: 124-147 (38.27 - 45.37%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Mega Lucario Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Aegislash: 133-157 (41.04 - 48.45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I think he can OHKO both with Sacred Sword and/or Shadow Sneak post Swords Dance but it's late and I cba to run the calcs for that.

I thought of this too, and ran a few calcs to see how effective it is.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 60 SDef / 60 Def / 136 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance

This set is mostly fueled by paranoia over the mega evos, so it's just an example, be it a good or bad one.

+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 133-156 (34.45 - 40.41%) -- 52.25% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 152-179 (39.37 - 46.37%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

A single Dragon Dance with this spread also outspeeds Jolly Mega Lucario (if I did the math right,) who you can OHKO the next turn with Fire Punch if he used Close Combat, else you might have to phaze him out with Dragon Tail. This set trades an OHKO against Blaziken to not be completely walled by Togekiss, which may or may not be a worthy trade. You could just forego STAB altogether and run EQ/Ice Punch, but I'm not sure if it's merited, especially since resetting your opponent's Blaziken leaves it vulnerable.

And as for Aegislash:
252+ SpA Mega-Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash: 124-147 (38.27 - 45.37%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Mega Lucario Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Aegislash: 133-157 (41.04 - 48.45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I think he can OHKO both with Sacred Sword and/or Shadow Sneak post Swords Dance but it's late and I cba to run the calcs for that.
Good job on the calcs. Looks good. Interesting that you went with 0 Att EVs. With Multiscale isn't a non HP and defenses Dragonite going to survive one SE move anyway? This allows it to set up a DD and sweep nearly anything. I was thinking of changing Roost for Fire Punch and going with this plan, but maybe going bulkier is better..?

If you are running Dragon Tail is it worth using Thunder Wave and being a parashuffler? I read somewhere that phazing moves have weight restrictions on them now, but last night in Wifi battle a random Druddigon DTed a Snorlax so maybe this isn't true.

Been really looking at
/
/

Volcarona is a solid special sweeper with decent bulk and one super notable weakness to SR. Mega Blastoise is a new spinner that is incredibly dangerous to spinblock with Mega launcher Dark pulse, Water pulse, and aura sphere coverage. Gliscor is an incredible physically defensive wall that resists quakeedge, immune to any stray thunderbolts launched at blastoise, and can take a variety of physical hits, as well as set up SR of it's own. Compliment it with a Bulky Gyarados to cover Volcarona.

My one issue is that it's semi-Gyarados weak. Not all too familiar with most BW threats, either, as I missed out on that gen.
I like the look of this. Heliolisk might make a decent partner, coming with a resistance to electric and another water resistance (immunity thanks to dry skin) and scaring Gyra rather well due to his speed and stab attacks. Plus he can run volt switch to keep up momentum. Bulky ground users who threaten him can be passed to Gliscor and fighting/fire types who come in can be used as an excuse to move Volcarona in.

Been really looking at
/
/

This looks great. Now if I could only find a female HA Gligar D': Looks like Gliscor is a pretty good counter to Aegislash. Running Protect, Toxic, EQ and Roost it can take Aegis' moves, hit with an EQ then stall and heal a couple of turns with protect/roost/poison heal. Nasty.

Good job on the calcs. Looks good. Interesting that you went with 0 Att EVs. With Multiscale isn't a non HP and defenses Dragonite going to survive one SE move anyway? This allows it to set up a DD and sweep nearly anything. I was thinking of changing Roost for Fire Punch and going with this plan, but maybe going bulkier is better..?

If you are running Dragon Tail is it worth using Thunder Wave and being a parashuffler? I read somewhere that phazing moves have weight restrictions on them now, but last night in Wifi battle a random Druddigon DTed a Snorlax so maybe this isn't true.
Parashuffling might actually be better for the scenario of vsing a Mega Lucario, as a Bullet Punch is likely to ruin your day. You'd have to hit the good end of the RNG to not get KOed the next turn, assuming the bulky set I posted, but there's still a chance, unlike with a defenseless set. You're looking at losing at the minimum 92% of your health regardless, but that's just for that specific matchup, which Aegislash covers far better regardless.

On a more general level, going defensive helps starve off a few possible 2/OHKOs, such as:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 288-339 (89.16 - 104.95%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 270-318 (69.94 - 82.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

....aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnd that's about it.

So if you're deathly afraid of Mega Lucario then going bulky is for you.

0 HP / 0 Def is probably better.

The best part about math is proving yourself wrong.

I am working on a core for the first time (In the past I really focussed on entire teams and not on cores, but I decided to give this approach a shot.)

The main pokemon I want to base it around is Charizard X. I always wanted a charizard in my team but up until now it just wasn't viable..

So far I got Charizard X as my main pokemon, with Scizor (using Defog for sure, and most likely will be using U-Turn too) as a utility/sweeper to cover my charizard his weaknesses (stealth rock mainly, and I guess it's good against fairy too even though charizard isn't hit super effective by them). Is this a good start so far? And if it is, does anyone have a suggestion for a third pokemon?

Thanks in advance!

I am working on a core for the first time (In the past I really focussed on entire teams and not on cores, but I decided to give this approach a shot.)

The main pokemon I want to base it around is Charizard X. I always wanted a charizard in my team but up until now it just wasn't viable..

So far I got Charizard X as my main pokemon, with Scizor (using Defog for sure, and most likely will be using U-Turn too) as a utility/sweeper to cover my charizard his weaknesses (stealth rock mainly, and I guess it's good against fairy too even though charizard isn't hit super effective by them). Is this a good start so far? And if it is, does anyone have a suggestion for a third pokemon?

Thanks in advance!
If you're running defog and U-turn, it's a UtilityZor, with a set like this:

move 1: Bullet Punch
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Defog
move 4: Roost / Pursuit
ability: Technician
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD
(credit to Bribery, the OP of this set)

Since you're not running Superpower, you can't deal with either Terrakion, Lati@s, Garchomp, Mamoswine or Gyarados: CharX's 5 biggest threats. If you really want to run Scizor (shame it can't be MEVO, would help in this situation) make an odd amendment to this set and run:

move 1: Bullet Punch
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Defog
move 4: Superpower
ability: Technician
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD

You can 1HKO Latios with U-turn, 1HKO Revenge Kill a CB Terrakion if needed after taking a Close Combat, though dying about half the time to life orb recoil:

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Scizor: 280-330 (81.63 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It easily 1HKOs Mamoswine. However, there's still a slight weakness to Terrakion, and a large weakness to Garchomp and Gyarados. Throw in a bulky Rotom-W, the ultimate Gyarados threat, and Azumarill to revenge kill Garchomp and Terrakion. This gives you a fantastic bulky offense core.

Bulky Attacker Rotom-W:
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: HP: Ice
ability: Levitate
item: Leftovers
nature: Modest
evs: 232 HP / 56 SpA / 220 Spe

All-Out Attacker Azumarill:
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Superpower
ability: Huge Power
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant Nature
evs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 84 Spe

Then, to compensate for the lack of a pursuit trapper due to Superpower UtilityZor, i'd get one and perhaps throw in Galvantula for sticky web, helps with the revenge killing Terakkion and Garchomp. You could lead with either the typical Sash'd Galvantula to set up Sticky Web (check my previous post in this thread) or CharX to avoid taking damage from SR later in the game before Mega Evolving. Just brainstorming at this point without any real figures, but whatever suits you :)

Might come back to edit this, just wanted to post what I had! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Parashuffling might actually be better for the scenario of vsing a Mega Lucario, as a Bullet Punch is likely to ruin your day. You'd have to hit the good end of the RNG to not get KOed the next turn, assuming the bulky set I posted, but there's still a chance, unlike with a defenseless set. You're looking at losing at the minimum 92% of your health regardless, but that's just for that specific matchup, which Aegislash covers far better regardless.

On a more general level, going defensive helps starve off a few possible 2/OHKOs, such as:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 288-339 (89.16 - 104.95%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 270-318 (69.94 - 82.38%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

....aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnd that's about it.

So if you're deathly afraid of Mega Lucario then going bulky is for you.

0 HP / 0 Def is probably better.

The best part about math is proving yourself wrong.
I am not disregarding Dragonite by any stretch but maybe Noivern would be a suitable choice? It still is an easy switch in to Aegislash's weaknesses and provides a fast and varied movepool on the special side of things. Choices, choices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)