GG Godly Gift

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Introducing.... Godly Gift 2: Electric Boogaloo

It's no secret that Godly Gift's popularity and playability has not been very good this generation. It was originally thought to be because of the presence of Tera, so we banned that, but nothing changed, so it was unbanned. A big part of the issue was the fact that a lot of people just... didn't know Godly Gift existed despite having a spot in the OM circuit alongside a permaladder. Realistically, the council got pretty discouraged from tiering because of how heavily we relied on OU's tiering for a stable metagame and ended up getting tired of the unpredictability of things. After a long, long, long discussion with staff and OM leadership, we have finally decided to rework how Godly Gift decides its gods.

Gods will still exist in the HP slot if there is no "Uber/AG" on your team. However, we actually don't rely on the god being Uber/AG anymore! We will now be relying on a restricted list, where any Pokemon in said restricted list can only be used as a god. We hope that this helps promote more metagame activity and stability, and will provide more teambuilding creativity with new gods and receivers.

You're probably curious what exactly changes now, so I will post a TLDR of changes alongside a full slate in a hide tag. Without further ado...

:baxcalibur::chi-yu::chien-pao::darkrai::espathra::flutter mane::landorus::spectrier::urshifu-gmax::urshifu-rapid-strike-gmax::volcarona:
Baxcalibur, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Darkrai, Espathra, Flutter Mane, Landorus, Spectrier, Urshifu-S, Urshifu-R, and Volcarona are now receivers!

:blissey::chansey::kingambit::ursaluna:
Blissey, Chansey, Kingambit, and Ursaluna are now gods!

:calyrex-shadow:
Calyrex-S is now unbanned and is a god!
1697944672708.png

1697944695972.png

I understand that the meta seems very volatile from this list, but we will be on top of tiering to ensure it doesn't stay that way for too long; we're just being more lax with what is legal as a receiver because we've never had the possibility of Blissey/Chansey god before.

Some thoughts on the new blood
1698081942770.png
This is....Interesting, actually! Of all the former gods, I never thought this is the one I'd end up using as much as I did in testing and getting attached to. A lot of people forget this has 90/90 defenses so it'll happily take the HP slot to be surprisingly bulky for how fast and strong it is and create it's own opportunities to setup Nasty Plot with no strings attached. I do think the competition for the HP slot is the steepest with all sorts of things like Hatterene, Gholdengo, etc. but this could be a really cool option later down the line. I don't think its broken especially with sleep moves clause but its not actually as terrible as I thought it would be. I really like it!
1698082262024.png
Hits the coveted base 135 speed, has priority options, what's not to love? There's not many slots to put it though with it's atrocious defensive typing, only really appreciating an even faster speed slot or an even higher attack slot. Use band with Groudon/Calyrex-I's attack if you want the ultimate button clicker mon. Both Galar box legends actually have good stats and types for taking this on though, so it's not quite as immediately as broken as I thought it would be but still very very strong. Keep an eye on it.
1698082570980.png
You've heard of Hatterene now get ready for Hatterene.....2! Except much faster, gets out of hand way sooner, doesn't need the highly competitive HP slot to be bulky, and even without the positive traits of Hatterene like it's team support to offset how frustrating it is. It finds opportunities to do Espathra things way more often when it actually gets a defensive stat to work with. This is downright obscene.
1698083379470.png
Remember when I said I was unimpressed with speed slot Hoopa-U because of how protosynth/booster mons completely mess with the speed tiers? Well THIS thing is honestly goddamn strong enough with sun to get away with the scarf unlike Hoopa, to say nothing of the atrocious meatgrinder it becomes with sun specs if it wants to leave the speed to sun's many speed options outside the speed slot. Every switch in I've seen to this ranges from cope to fake as hell, especially now with the pink blobs banned and Pex no longer being a downright immovable HP slot menace.
1698084150615.png
Congratulations, you introduced one of the elite Koraidon checks into the tier......That's now even more busted than Koraidon was. This becomes insanely bulky with either more HP or defense, while still being the monster we all know and hate Flutter Mane for being. I even brute forced HP slot Pexes with this before it got erased from the ladder. Its so strong, so fast, can abuse sun, and is bulkier than ever with it's preferred passes. Probably the scariest mon on the list of former-gods-turned-receivers.
1698084814823.png
Before being turned a god by it's OU ban under the previous distinction of GG, this already felt really, really strong and dangerous in the speed slot. It still feels pretty dangerous, but I haven't seen as many as before with speed being another super competitive receiver slot so I haven't made my final opinion on this.
1698085459297.png
Just kind of....There? Its the best Sheer Force user this gen so if you were looking for something to give even more special attack or speed to this might be your guy but I haven't found too many teams that really push this to it's limit. Its still a Landorus-I though so its not like it isn't going to be scary sometimes.
1698085596437.png
Probably the lowest BST mon I've seen used as a god and remotely work, now its a receiver. Surprisingly bulky with its High HP and any decent defense pass, won't turn down faster speed though, and of course it's Spectrier in a format with Tera. The only reason I've probably not seen more of it is because Flutter Mane is perhaps a tiiiny bit crazier. (Though this is still stupid strong and will immediately fill Flutter's power vacuum in all but being a Koraidon dual STAB switch in if Flutter bites the bullet.)
1698086222027.png
1698086233910.png
These seem super strong with their high attack and signature moves, and certainly won't turn down a spdef slot filling in the one real chink in their armor. I've also seen a couple speed slot ones which seem powerful especially since they aren't dead in the water against even faster threats with their natural bulk and ability to slot priority. This is one on the list of "Haven't faced/used enough to call it outright broken yet" though. But definitely solid at first glance at least.
1698086463919.png
When I used this, HP Pex was still on the ladder and this was super whatever into it but even now it feels outgunned by Chi-Yu for fast, unstoppable fire type offense and outclassed by Espathra as a bulky defense slot setup sweeper. I haven't found an amazing home for this yet, but it could definitely fill a vacuum if it's competition is banned and might be super strong then or if it finds it's niche.

What I like about this big change is that none of the new receivers actually feel unusable, even Volcarona feels like it's just waiting for it's moment. Some of them maybe feel a little TOO strong, but I'm sure that won't last long. It does add some cool new options to a tier that feels like it was starting to circle around very same-y gods and teams. (Though I feel like the god dynamic hasn't changed too much, especially with Calyrex-S's reban.) I feel like this could be a really interesting iteration for the tier once some of the kinks are worked out.

Last edited:
Some mons need to be banned eg. Lokix, Pikachu, Mimikyu etc since priority has almost no counterplay. However, these are the only things keeping other broken attackers in check, which makes these difficult to ban. A possible reason that less players play godly gift nowadays is because people find teambuilding too restricting and people find it difficult to run different teamstyles. For example, lokix and pikachu are so dominating that it is actually impossible to run stall and hyper offense, leading to only fast offense being viable. Possibly this is how the community likes it, but personally the metagame is too restricting and only a few attackers are even viable, resulting in many games being luck based with speed ties determining who will win.

Ambipom receiving zacian's attack is not banned yet somehow, the fake out boosted by technician and double hit etc etc are broken with 150 base attack and high speed, it can run band if not fake out or life orb is enough anyways. It can run knock off as well - 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Normal Ambipom Return vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
:Ambipom:

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Ambipom receiving zacian's attack is not banned yet somehow, the fake out boosted by technician and double hit etc etc are broken with 150 base attack and high speed, it can run band if not fake out or life orb is enough anyways. It can run knock off as well - 252+ Atk Life Orb Tera Normal Ambipom Return vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 198-234 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
:Ambipom:
This has a couple oversights; namely, Zacian only donates its base 120 Attack (even when using Zacian @ Rusted Sword you only donate the 120), and Toxapex can receive a HP buff too. When you account for these and give Pex a decent HP stat (let's say base 100), Tera Normal LO Double Hit doesn't even break half (252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Tera Normal Ambipom Double Hit (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 166-198 (41 - 49%) -- approx. 3HKO). Ambipon's relative lack of coverage, boosting options, and middling Speed for an offensive Pokemon by GG standards also hold it back.

e: forgot pex was restricted lol

Last edited:
how many times do we have to say that receiving Zacian stats actually receives from Base Zacian (which is 120).

Return doesn't exist in Gen 9, this is counting both Tera Normal and LOrb on an Adamant nature and... it doesn't break 50/150 bulk. What does this set do against, say, any of the tier's good Ghosts (Gholdengo, the arguably banworthy Flutter Mane, Spectrier, etc), or any of the tiers good Steels that resist normal, or anything that out speeds it (since you are running adamant nature)

If you want some strong "clicks buttons" physical threats, I do have a few suggestions.

First off, Chien Pao speedties the current meta
(135), and with some math, with Caly-I attack (165) and boots (not even factoring any other damage boosts like LOrb or Swords Dance or Tera), there are some actually good damage calcs.

252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 264-312 (60.8 - 71.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Great Tusk can't safely switch in...

252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 266-314 (52.7 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 282-332 (55.9 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Neither can Giratina, a common mon for defensive teams...

252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gholdengo: 312-368 (70.2 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Gholdengo (with 120 HP from Arceus) gets outsped and can't switch in safely either.

252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Steel: 266-314 (59.9 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Ground: 378-446 (99.2 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ghost: 356-422 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You beat outright a lot of common variants of Arceus.

All of those calcs are without any other form of damage boost (no Life Orb, no Band, no Tera, no Swords Dance), so with those your damage gets even more absurd. Chien-Pao is a good physical button clicker.

Tinkaton is another "click button and win" pokemon who can thrive with even less Attack than Chien Pao. With Mold Breaker in combination with good speed tier and decent bulk (85/77/105 isn't horrid, and especially not with good typing), all Tinkaton needs is a half decent attack stat (let's say 120 for sake of calcs)

+2 252 Atk Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 418-493 (90.2 - 106.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Almost OHKOs with a single swords dance... And does with Life Orb.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Clodsire: 543-641 (117.2 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Completely beats the 120 HP Gholdengo set from earlier, even if you mispredict and Gigaton Hammer instead... Not to mention thanks to Mold Breaker that you can paralyze and cripple Gholdengo forever.

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 335-394 (75.4 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 543-640 (122.2 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Great Tusk probably survives, right???

+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 382-450 (88 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Tinkaton Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 432-510 (99.5 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Edit: the spoiler formatting is trolling me
There are also other physical threats, like ogerpon (water and rock), samu h with its ability to put spikes, and a lot more like zamazenta and maushold

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
1698783597900.png

Topped the ladder in large part due to my teams being able to deal with one VERY prevalent core.
If you're building a team that's remotely balance or offensive in the current meta, you need to have two important things: An anti-HO measure and more importantly a pokemon that beats Clod+Alo cores.

Clod in the defensive slot + Alo in the Spdef slot is incredible since both are obviously super high HP pokemon with their respective lower stats being supplemented by their gods' stats. Momentum on Alo and Hazards/Other support on Clod gives both pokemon incredible utility as well, not to mention Clod is a tspike absorber.

My logic goes something like this: Alo usually will not Tera and is weak to Grass/Electric while not pressuring teams much beyond Flip-Turning into a potential threat. Clod is going to be heavily defensive and mostly threatens with Toxic.

Therefore I believe the best current offensive threats have these similar traits:
  1. Substitute (Removes momentum from Flip-Turn + avoids Toxic AND potentially can ruin offense as well)
  2. Be able to maintain the Sub from both Flip-Turn or 1 EQ from Clod (HEAVILY helped via Tera-changing types)
  3. Some kind of set-up while still heavily pressuring Clod

If you're thinking grass types, while it's not exclusively correct, you're absolutely in the right ball-park. That being said, coverage on decent special grass type pokemon is kinda trash so I'd recommend instead having a Tera-Grass pokemon that fills this niche. Alternatively, Bulky Water-type pokemon also work pretty well, as the STAB moves pressure Clod well and Alo's entire existence serves to let you Sub+Set up.

Two example pokemon I've used recently are Urshifu-Rapid and Skeledirge.
  1. Urshifu in the Spdef Slot threatens Clod while getting super free set-up on Alo. It ALSO ignores screens and other set up pokemon. Less relevent is the Tera-Steel I used on it, but it's nice for stuff like Espathra/Flutter-Mane. Super under-rated anti-meta pokemon right now.
  2. Skeledirge in the speed slot is a menace. It pairs extremely well with Koraidon with the sun-boosted power up. Throat Spray to ramp up the breaking power and the all-important Tera-Grass to be a massive thorn in the side of many teams.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
Espathra seems kinda problematic
Espathra with tera has always been problematic in any OM's I've ever really played, and I don't really see it not being problematic here since it can now receive a strong HP stat or SpA stat. after it sets up one or two speed boosts it can outspeed most mons (depending on investment) and after one or two calm minds it can hit most mons quite hard, sets can run a fairy move to deal with darks and tera to avoid strong moves, as long as it comes in on a mon that can't deal with it Espathra can set up pretty quickly and one mistake could mean you lose 3 mons or just the game in order to stop it. There are probably checks that I'm simply not thinking of that make it harder to sweep with, but it still seems problematic to me.

:sv/Chi-Yu: :sv/Koraidon:
Chi-Yu has been restricted from Godly Gift while Koraidon will be suspect tested!
Kris​
lepton​
Lily​
longhiep341​
senko​
TTTech​
Result​
Chi-Yu​
Restrict​
Restrict​
Restrict​
Restrict​
Restrict​
Restrict​
Restrict
Koraidon​
Suspect​
Do not suspect​
Do not suspect​
Suspect​
Suspect​
Suspect​
Suspect
Chi-Yu's base 100 Speed normally can prove to be a problem if it's not running Choice Scarf in a fast meta, but with a Speed donation, it can freely run Choice Specs to maximize its damage output. In sun, it's nigh unstoppable, with only a handful of Pokemon being able to repeatedly withstand its Fire attacks, like Special Defense Alomomola, Giratina and Pokemon immune to Fire such as Heatran and the more niche Dachsbun. Its Dark Pulse however easily 2HKOs Heatran without defensive donation and Giratina, and even Alomomola and Dachsbun risk losing to flinches. Without sun, Chi-Yu is much less powerful, however it's still strong enough to melt most switch-ins with just its STAB attacks, requiring predictions to play around it. Its biggest weakness is its lack of defensive utility and vulnerable to all kinds of entry hazards, requiring a pivot or aggressive double switches to comfortably hit the field, as well as entry hazard removal. Its tendency to run choice items also makes it prone to Protect scout from Gliscor and Alomomola. However, its power far outweighs its downsides and the general community sentiment also points towards it as the biggest problem and as such it received the hammer.
:sv/Koraidon:
Koraidon was already at the forefront of the meta before the definition change and seen as problematic. However, it receives nowhere near the attention required to warrant a quickban, but with it already on the edge before and now with another sun partner in Flutter Mane, it's still seen as restricting even with Chi-Yu's ban in mind. While others want to see how the meta changes with Chi-Yu's departure first, including two council members, there isn't enough time with Seasonal ending and only OMWC Final being affected, this aims to create the best meta possible for OM Championship and the remainder of DLC1 meta until DLC2 drops on the 14th of December as we will continue to monitor the meta after the suspect test. So there you have it, a controversial Pokemon finally getting the suspect people called for.

The suspect test thread shall come out in a day or two. Stay tuned!

I'm here with some announcements.
In case you haven't known yet, Koraidon has been banned from Godly Gift.
lepton has stepped down from GG council. Thank you for your time and work and we wish you the best moving forward.
We are also accepting sample submissions as the meta has changed a lot since last time it was updated. If you have any team that you have got good results with you would like to share it would be very much appreciated!
For the short time left until the 14th of December, we will try to make the remaining meta as good as possible both for ladder and OM Championship, so if you think something stands out we would like to hear your opinions as well! Once DLC2 drops, we will reassess if there's any potential unban we can make, until then have fun!

With Koraidon banned, we can start having some fun! (I have no idea how to make the link with my teams' post, so please help me ;-;)

https://pokepast.es/3323b6e1ca177d4b

A pretty nice team with rwash, which in mu mola + gliscor can break the opposing team very easily while being able to pivot with volt switch and let Ogerpon-W and Zac-C benefit.

https://pokepast.es/2afc4062524ee44b

I think Eter's popularity is going to go way up with Koraidon's ban, so I wanted to build a team around him. Zapdos and Heatran allow you to deal with a lot of threats quite easily (especially with the tera grass for Helectrode) with a mola to allow Heatran to stay in the game longer and therefore be able to take more risks.

https://pokepast.es/06936a4c4d9dcaf8

I wanted to make a fun team and that's what I came up with. I didn't think it would be any good, but in the end I was wrong. Palkia may seem rather strange but it allows you to punish mola severely with sub and very often puts your opponent in a tricky situation. The Ribombee is devastating with Moonblast specs, and can also help the team with Switcheroo to cripple a Heatran, for example, and the sticky web that lets our other sweepers do their job. Gholdengo keeps the sticky web and Hamurott's spikes, which can gradually weaken opposing pokémon while threatening them with SD. We play flutter mane booster energy to get speed even without the sticky web and with calm mind to set up and finally Tusk booster energy in attack which can be placed extremely easily with its bulk of 115-131-120 we use rapid spin not to be too dependent on the sticky and with ice spinner we can prevent an opposing Gliscor from putting spikes too easily bulk up to set up and Headlong rush because we need to do damage anyway.

The meta seems to be rather interesting at the moment, with a greater diversity of viable gods and, in my opinion, few problematic pokémon, Crawdaunt, which now that Koraidon, which resisted its stab, is gone. Crawdaunt is very dangerous and can destroy a team very easily without having very sure answers, and Gliscor, which is just toxic and makes stack hazard much too strong in my opinion, particularly with gholdengo, which destroys the viability of teams without rapid spin or hatterene, Gliscor is too free for most of the tier and forces you to play ice spinner Tusk, for example. It adds little or nothing positive to the tier compared to its disadvantages (but given that DLC2 will soon be released, the meta will surely stay the same).

Have a nice day/evening!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)