Other Metagames Godly Gift Scizor Calm Mind Koko Balance

Glimmer

We own the night
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

why is yveltal's sprite so big

Hi yall! I haven't done a rmt before and thought it would be fun to do it on my favourite metagame! And this is my favourite team that I recently built!

Teambuilding

First in the teambuilding process I chose my rising star Tapu Koko. I love to spam this guy because of the variety of sets it can run and the sheer power it provides with every set. This Koko is Calm Mind to provide a set up sweeper, and I just wanted to build the team around it.

Second step was choosing the god, and I chose the best god of all in my opinion, Yveltal. It provides great versatility and is flexible for the teamcomp. I chose fast pivot Yveltal to get some pivotting and Knock Off support for Tapu Koko. Blacephalon is the missing piece in the offensive line up, as it also weakens specially defensive pokemon and cripples them with Trick, and threatens to KO common Koko switch-ins like Ferrothorn and Tangrowth.

And now to fleshing out the defensive core. Gastrodon gives every teams needed Kyogre check and a Electric immunity. Rillaboom is a secondary Kyogre switch-in, and acts as both an offensive and defensive mon, so it is perfect for the attack slot.

Scizor was the last piece in the puzzle, acting as a Weavile switch-in that could consistently recover the damage, and also be used as a pivot. And unlike other Weavile switch-ins, Scizor also can brush off most Fairy types hits.

The end result: https://pokepast.es/4671ae561d508bc8

Team Showcase

:rillaboom::gastrodon::tapu-koko::blacephalon::yveltal:

Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
Scizor has a great typing, longevity, Technician boosted prioirity, and STAB U-Turn, making it a great addition as a Weavile check and a pivot.
This set focuses much more on the defensive capabilities of Scizor, only having one weakness and having great defensive stats gives it much more of a room to pivot around, recover and defog. It also is semi speed control against faster threats being able to pick them off when they are weakened.

:scizor:
:gastrodon::tapu-koko::blacephalon::yveltal:
Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
Rillaboom is a Jack of all Trades mon. It provides semi speed control in Grassy Glide, Knock Off and Swords Dance to break for itself, and U-Turn to pivot. It also provides the team Grassy Terrain for residual recovery and helps team members in tanking Earthquake. This set mainly focuses on the breaking power of Rillaboom, weakening foes for Tapu Koko and Scizor to pick them off in the late game.

:scizor::rillaboom:
:tapu-koko::blacephalon::yveltal:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Clear Smog
Gastrodon, the Kyogre counter I love to hate. Gastrodon serves as the actual fire resist of the team (as blacephalon will die to even a resisted move), and also a Koko check. The EVs are for V-Create from Band Victini with Zamazenta attack, the rest are dumped into special defense to check Koko more reliably.

:scizor::rillaboom::gastrodon:
:blacephalon::yveltal:
Tapu Koko @ Leftovers
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
I love Tapu Koko in this meta, and this is my favourite set to use. Most of Tapu Koko's checks except two have no reliable way of recovery, making sweeper Calm Mind Koko one of the most potent set up pokemon in the tier in my opinion. The rest of the team is built around pressuring said 2 pokemon, Blacephalon against Tangrowth and Rillaboom against Gastrodon.

:scizor::rillaboom::gastrodon::tapu-koko:
:yveltal:
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
Blacephalon is pretty much a turn off your brain pokemon as it plays, since Specs Blacephalon only has to predict if the special wall is coming in or not, which it can shut down by Tricking its Specs onto the wall. Since Ghost is pretty much an unresisted type aside from Dark, Blacephalon works wonders with Tapu Koko, crippling walls for it and letting Tapu Koko come in on a Dark type that is a usual switch into Blacephalon.

:scizor::rillaboom::gastrodon::tapu-koko::blacephalon:

Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
I personally love the flexibility Yveltal can have in a team, and in this team Yveltal serves the purpose of a fast pivot that reduces the longevity of Blacephalon and Tapu Koko's checks by using Knock Off. Foul Play is also a last resort move against boosters like Necrozma-Dusk-Mane.

Usage Tips

This team needs to play around the fact that it has 2 relatively not too bulky offensive pokemon by having to pivot a ton and playing with momentum, as Blacephalon and Rillaboom take advantage of the momentum perfectly by throwing off powerful STAB attacks.

Don't keep Gastrodon or Scizor on the field for a long time, and make aggressive doubles with them, as they will just sink the momentum you may have already gained.

If the enemy has a Victini, keep Gastrodon as healthy as possible, as it is the only mon in the team that can semi reliably switch into a banded V Create.

Identify the threats to your wincon and use Trick accordingly, if the enemy is a Dragon Dance NDM or a Volcarona, your only chance with the team is catching them with a Trick.

Threats

:necrozma-dusk-mane::volcarona:
NDM and Volcarona
Speed boosters in general might be a problem, but Volcarona and NDM are the main two because they resist both priorities, can heal back up, and are really threatening against the whole team. And your only hope is trying to catch them with a Trick or Foul Play in Necrozma's case.

:heatran:
Heatran
Heatran mainly can throw Magma Storms and Toxic the Gastrodon if it is switching in, leaving it very annoying to deal with, so you should try to bait it in using Blacephalon whenever you get the chance.​

UT

Old habits die SCREAMING
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Hey, love to see Godly Gift teams, I'll take a crack at it although I already gave you feedback in SmogCord so rip low hanging fruit

I do really like the team, and just a few small notes for it.
Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Defog
Scizor should probably be Relaxed with 0 Spe IVs; gets you a much better slot pivot, drops you below stuff like Corv and minspeed Rotom. Other slow pivots like the SlowTwins don't want to stay in on you anyway, and will likely hard switch.
Rillaboom @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
I do not like no Speed Rillaboom; there are too many zero Speed mons in that range like Lando, Rotom-H, Heatran, and random receivers that can get the jump on you for no good reason. Even Landorus-T is a threat late-game if Grassy Terrain runs out. I would use a spread of EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe to get the jump on everything up to Modest Heatran and Adamant Necrozma-DM.
Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
I don't love teams that have Koko as the speed control, especially since yours isn't a pivot. I would much rather see Choice Scarf here, as it allows you to get the jump on everything up to Mosa and possibly snowball with Beast Boost. Still does a lot of breaking, especially since it can also cripple something with Trick, but gives you more control over tempo.

This is what the team would look like after those changes.

Here are some bigger changes that are more sidegrades than upgrades.
While I like Rilla, your team is generally weak against Fire, and Rillaboom does not help against that. I can see Gastrodon getting overloaded, so one other option I would consider is Zydog, which has the excellent characteristic of of threatening every Fire, keeping your access to priority, and still offering immediate power.

Zygarde-10% @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic
(I know this is opposite what I told you in SmogCord) but I would consider moving Defog (back) over to Yveltal. Dual Dark STAB is a little redundant, and Scizor has some fun tech options including Toxic, Knock Off, and even Swords Dance to make it much more annoying to defensive (or even offensive) teams. I would probably opt for Toxic if you want to play defensively, Swords Dance if you want to play offensively, and drop Knock Off from Yveltal.

Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
- Swords Dance / Toxic

Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost

Otherwise, I like this team a lot! Good job, and I look forward to hearing how it goes with further testing! If you find anything else you struggle with, please be sure to come back!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)