ORAS OU GlisFairy (balanced boosting)

So basically my goal with this team was to use my favorite Pokemon Gliscor in this meta. I haven't played a while and I'm a little rusty so I went in the cores thread and found one that consisted of Gliscor and Calm Mind Magic Guard Clefable that I found interesting. Then I evolved it from there

image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png

image.png
Glisor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244hp/8def/200Spd/56Spe
Careful Nature
-Roost
-Knock Off
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake

Gliscor is a staple on this team. He's usually my lead because he causes a lot of switches and beats a lot of common leads after a Swords Dance boost. If I predict a switch I can abuse knock off, potentially crippling a member of the opposing team. Once Gliscors checks and counters are sufficiently weakened he can come in, get a few Swords Dances up with his good bulk, roost the damage away, and sweep quite easily. He checks and counters a ton of steel types that Clefable hates, is a great earthquake absorber, and acts as a knock off absorber once Toxic Orb is activated. He's just a great and versitile Pokemon that is able to switch (I like to switch a lot) in a lot due to his passive recovery and he always does work in every game.

image.png
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252hp/184def/72Spd
Calm Nature
-Moonblast
-Flamethrower
-Calm Mind
-Soft Boiled

Now Clefable is a Pokemon I never really got the appeal of, but she's working out quite well on this team. Gliscor has little trouble with Heatran, Gengar, and Landrous-T and some other Pokemon Celfable doesn't like while Clefable can deal with the likes of Keledo, Latios, and Mega-Sableye. Clefable's main goal isn't it sponge some hits and try to set up some Calm Minds to break through a large part of the meta with Moonblast and Flamethrower. She has nice recovery to heal up and keep setting up Calm Minds and once some of her checks are out of the way and she's got a boost it's hard to stop her. Magic Guard also helps a ton since, as I said, I like to switch a lot, and Clefable does not care about rocks at all. She also eats up status. Overall I'm starting to see the appeal of using Clefable.

image.png
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252Hp/88Def/168Spd
Relaxed Nature
-Stealth Rocks
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
-Power Whip

Honestly I can't remember the last time I didn't use Ferrothorn on a team and it's for a good reason. He's a tank, he creates switches, paralyzes opponents, and just generally chips away at the other team slowly. Ferro is my rock setter on this team and a soft check to most water types with Power Whip. He stops most dragons dead in their tracks and I want him taking most physical hits aimed at Clefable and my other Pokemon, especially anything poison type. There's not much more to say about Ferro, he's just amazing utility.

image.png
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252Spa/252Spe/4Def
Timid Nature
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Energy Ball
-Tail Glow

Manaphy is downright scary after a Tail Glow. With his plethora of coverage moves, his decent bulk, his passable speed (especially after Ferro has laid down a few Thunder waves), and his through the roof special attack, he's nothing to be scoffed at. With Energy Ball he takes care of the the bulky waters Clefable and Gliscor don't like and even some that Ferrothorn can't deal with. Gliscor deals with the electric types that Manaphy hates and Zard-X and Ferro take care of grass types pretty easily. Once Manaphy's checks and counters are down he completes the trinity of set up sweepers I have with Gliscor and Clefable.
image.png
Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Leftovers
EVs: 72Hp/184Spa/252Spe
Timid Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Healing Wish
-Defog

Latias is another one of my old standbys that fits on a ton of teams. Like I said, I love to switch, so I needed a Defoger. Of course Latias was the first Pokemon that came to mind. Her job on this team is to keep my side of the field hazard free and basically just nuke with Draco Meteor and the occasional Psyshock. She can also check a plethora of Pokemon quite well. Healing Wish is on the set to give Manaphy in particular another chance to sweep seeing as he's the only sweeper on the team with no recovery, but I've been thinking of replacing it with Roost or Thunderbolt. Thoughts on that one?

image.png
Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze (Before Mega)
EVs: 248Hp/100Def/160Spe
Impish Nature
-Will-O-Wisp
-Flare Blitz
-Dragon Claw
-Roost

I've always loved this Charizard-X set and this team seemed like the perfect opportunity to use it. Charizard-X is a complete monster with this EV spread and with Roost he just doesn't go down. A surprise Will-O-Wisp weakens the opposing teams physical sweepers making it easier for Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Char-X himself to tank physical hits. Flare Blitz still hits like a truck, even with no attack investment, and Tough Claws Dragon Claw does good damage. I ran Dragon Claws over earthquake because Gliscor has no problem with Heatran. Roost keeps Char-X alive for the long haul and lets it further support the team. Charizard-X takes care of most grass types, only having trouble with dragon pulse Serperier (but that's a little rare). Basically he just rounds off the team well and seemed like the right mega to put onto this team.

Importable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

So far this team is running quite smoothly and running into few hiccups, but obviously it can use improvement as can any team. Any suggestions, feedback, comments? All of that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey ApeDosMatt! Nice bulky offense/semi-stall team you have there! I can't say that I'm familiar with the playstyle, so I won't make suggestions about a style that I don't know how to play well. What I can say though about your team, is that it is COMPLETELY walled by Mega/Non-Mega Slowbro and other Calm Mind Clefables. What I would suggest you do is trade out Ferrothorn for Scizor. A bulky Choiced Banded Scizor is able to pretty much take the same hits as Ferrothorn, but is also able to deal huge damage back to Mega Slowbro and Clefable with Bug Bite and Bullet Punch. Scizor can also provide good momentum with U-Turn. Check out the set I recommend below. Good luck getting more help with your team!

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower

Hey thanks! I'm not too familiar with the play style either, it's a little out of my comfort zone which is why I definitely want some feedback.

I love that Scizor set, I've used it since Gen 4. The only problem with that is that I have no Rocks setter without Ferro so I'll have to think of how to rememdy that. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I really don't think I have room to run rocks on Clefable or Gliscor. What do you think about Iron Head and a Brave nature on with a little attack investment on Ferro?

Last edited:
Just woke up and I had the idea to switch Latias to Crobat to hard counter Clefable and prevent Slowbro from boosting with Taunt.

You guys think that's a good idea?

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hello there. nice black zard team you've got here. it's actually one of the more solid teams that i've seen on rmt that features a zard and a balance team on the same team. i tested it out a bit and honestly as long as you keep hazards out and play properly around electric spam offense, you should have a good time against the typical meta. im assuming your issues with this team is fast offense that include lando-t volt turn cores so i will give some suggestions to help you alleviate that issue.

latias' does its role rly well on this team as a water sponge as well as a primary way to deal with offensive chomps. however, as a balance team, hwish is much unnecessary so running roost over hwish helps the overall bulk of the team. it also ensures that you can come in multiple times on water spam as well as electric spam because ironically your team is p weak to it so you need to ensure that your defogger (that your zard relies on) is strong enough to stay in and come in multiple amount of times.

ferro is a great choice to form a fire water grass core with the defensive zard x and mana but i personally think that if you're running twave, then you absolutely should use iron head. therefore, to ensure you can deal with mgyara as well as random clefs and fairy types that are caught in the twave, you should run iron head on ferro over leech seed. this gives you consistent damage over gyro ball (even though you're not using it) and it helps ensure that you don't get ensnared by random msabs that switch in. i'll provide the new ev spread for iron head ferro so that you don't get outpaced by 16 spe m-sab and thus have the chance to potentially flinch him.

with tg mana, you don't honestly have an issue with bulky grass types and with scald, you can potentially weaken and scare out mons like chomp and lando so you don't rly need ice beam. your team on the other hand may have issues with mons like mgarde, mzam, hp fire latios and even mcham to an extent. so opting for shadow ball over ice beam alleviates this problem and can thus give you less heart attacks when you have to deal with latios' and mcham's incredible nukes.

lastly, i feel that clef should always opt for twave over flamethrower in the last slot since it's much more effective as it cripples it's checks common switch ins like gengar , heatran and mvenu. all of those are easily dealt with and neutered by using twave + latias / mana deals with them. these changes should be quite enough for your team and hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more, improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Thank you for the suggestions I've implemented all of them and I'm trying them out right now. I know Crobat isn't the best option but I always want to use him :p

I think I'll be golden with your advice though! Thanks for the torough rate

Reactions: zbr

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi, nice team you has here, i noticed that your team has difficulty to deal with Birds as Mega Pinsir, Talonflame and Tornadus-therian, having no switch for this, your team has to apply many smart play to play around these, and at this time of the metagame, where we find many Bird spam teams, and Tornadus-Therian, your team would find itself too disadvantaged, the lack of Gyro ball on Ferrothorn make the team weak to Mega Gardevoir, finally i find SubSeed Serperior a bit annoying, especially when the oppo's rocks are in your field, my rate will find to cover these weakness keeping the synergy of the team.

>

First of all, given the weakness of the flying type pokemon mentioned above, I would suggest to use Zapdos over Latias, with this substitution Your reinforces match up against birds, and also helps a bit against Serperior always having the ability to remove the hazards, Zapdos also has the ability to put more pressure on bulky waters as Volcanion, Azumarill and Slowbro that give trouble to Gliscor and Charizard X, finally Zapdos proves a good countermeasure for offensive Mega Scizor and Bisharp using Heat wave.

Having regard to the weakness in mega Gardevoir, I would recommend you to use Gyro ball over Twave + Chople berry, this change would help your match up against mega Garde, Gengar, Mega Zam surviving their Focus blast, also can deal better in a 1v1 Cb Azu and Keldeo, hitting them with Power whip after surviving keld's Secret Sword and Azumarill's Superpower.

then, I find Flamethrower slightly useless on Clef, since your Charizard x and Manaphy that put pressure mega Scizor, Magnezone and Ferrothorn even further Gliscor may be able to deal with them, then I'd suggest you to use Thunderwave over Flamethrower, Thunder wave paralyze many Clef's switch ins and can deal better with wallbreakers like Tornadus-t, Keldeo and mega Medicham, making them more easy to deal with, i'd consider also to change the Clef's Calm nature with a Bold one, i'd consider this simply because the popularity of Adamant Bolt Beam Mega Medicham and the Band Weavile popularity rise too, a Bold nature ensure a low roll to 2HKo Clef by mega Cham's Adamant HJK ( its around 17%).

Smart changes:

• I think defensive Charizard x is a great set, but I would see it better to work in a fat balance, this team is missing one sweeper threatening for offensive teams, I think that here it is fine using Dragon dance Bulky Jolly Charizard X, DD ensure Charizard to be a solid wincon for the team. that put pressure offensive builds and stall teams, also your team has solid teammates that put pressure to common switches to Zard, then these help Charizard's sweep, the spread allowd Zard to set-up more easily against Rotom-w, and outspeed scarf lando after a dance.
Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 192 HP / 240 Def / 44 SpD / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Discharge
- Defog

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

That's all man, the team its a bit weak to Keldeo and Volcanion , but you have many checks that can win the 1v1 like Chople Ferro, Twave Clef and Zapdos and Manaphy respectively. Hope i've helped you, GL with the team :toast:

Last edited:
I made the changes and I'm having a ton of trouble against Char-Y without Latias. I like zapdos but when I don't win the speed tie with mana or char-x against char-y I pretty much lose

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, and the teams been running really smoothly so far. I have one HUGE problem though and his name is Volcanion. I can't seem to properly check or counter him. Do you guys have any suggestions? It would be hugely appreciated

You could replace psyshock with thunderbolt on Latias which could work but Latias prefers that stabs. I would use Thunder Punch on Charizard over Roost as then it can beat Water types like Volcanion which your team could have trouble with

You could replace psyshock with thunderbolt on Latias which could work but Latias prefers that stabs. I would use Thunder Punch on Charizard over Roost as then it can beat Water types like Volcanion which your team could have trouble with
Thanks for the Feedback, I've already replaced Latias with Zapdos for Birdspam and Zapdos gets rolled over by Steam Eruption. I'll try Thunder Punch on Charizard

This looks like a great team, any changes I can make to make it more offensive? (Ferrothorn to Scizor for instance)

This looks like a great team, any changes I can make to make it more offensive? (Ferrothorn to Scizor for instance)
Thanks Man! It's worked out quite well.

I'm completely open to any changes. I've tried Ferrothorn for Scizor and the problem is the lack of hazard support and a defensive pivot. I'm definitely into hearing whatever you have though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)