SV OU Gliscor team to defeat my brother (it needs some improvements)

Hello there! Today, my brother went up to me with a team centered around Darkrai saying it had no switchins, so I went to make my own new ou team, as that felt like the way to counter it. Most of the time I like to use mons other people aren't using, but I decided against that for this team, which I could not keep up with XD anyway, let's get right into the mons, shall we?
I have said that Gliscor never dies to him, as a joke, so I figured Gliscor needed to be in the team!

Never dies. (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic

it is a standard Gliscor set, with toxic for pressure, protect for heal+stalling out, earthquake for damage, knock off so Gholdengo doesn't
completly wall it... Speaking of Gholdengo, that is one of the counters of the team, as it doesn't have any pokemon that resist ghost moves. Gliscor is very weak ice and water, so I added...

Ima leave now. (Toxapex) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Liquidation
- Haze

Toxapex works AMAZING with gliscor (if we do not look at the elephant in the room called freeze dry (looking at you Kyurem)) Toxapex also carries toxic, to spread even more status to the opposing team, recover for health, liquidation to not be a sitting duck and haze for the same reason. Tera fairy cause I say it on the wiki, otherwise I would have gone for tera flying, as I like to be immume to opposing earthquake. For those thinking: is he making a stall team? No I am not. The next mon proves that.

Light? (Iron Moth) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Tera Blast
- Substitute

I LOVE using iron moth, ev spread is so booster energy boosts speed instead of special attack. sub to have better chances in the 1v1 against Kinggambit. Tera ground to hit non air balloon heatran, galarian Slowking and opposing iron moth for super effective, although I will get one-shot by opposing Rillaboom after this.
I didn't like the matchup against ground types and psychic types, so I searched for a mon that could handle both, then I found this uu gem (yup, prepare for only one extra ou mon in this team)

Blue Boi (Latios) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Luster Purge
- Aura Sphere

Draco meteor hits hard, and very suprisingly is this my best Skarmory counter. Luster purge hits skarm hard and gives a spc def drop, which wears skarmory down VERY QUICKLY. (40% on a resist sheeeesh) tera fighting to beat kinggambit in a 1v1. Don't really know if I should switch to latias, but probably should add tbolt for skarm if I want to do that.

I saw this team didnt really have a kinggambit counter (Gliscor kinda is, same goes for Latios, but they dont really count) so that's why I added

Prepare. (Iron Valiant) @ Booster Energy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spirit Break
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Iron Valliant is my dark type+kinggambit counter. Booster energy to boost speed for an end game clean-up, swords dance to set up on some mons that cant ohko it, then Close Combat for main damage output, Knock off for Gholdengo and Spirit break for stab.

The last mon was my kyurum counter, because I really hated the matchup against Kyurum, but it doesn't work that well...

Dinners Ready (Rotom-Heat) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Overheat

Will-O-Wisp cause burn is always nice, Volt Switch for pivot. This was meant to be my Kyurum counter, but it can't really fulfill that job, cause freeze dry does 25% and things like draco meteor or scale shot just obliterate it. Pain split for recovery, but I haven't seen myself use that...

I have noticed this team really struggles against Ogerpon-W, any pokemon that likes to spam shadow ball and extreme speed Dragonite, because after one dragon dance it basically ohko's everything, if it haves ice spinner on it.
You can swap out every mon except Gliscor if you would like, but Im really excited about what you think! Thanks for reading and thanks for helping for those who do!

Hello there! Today, my brother went up to me with a team centered around Darkrai saying it had no switchins, so I went to make my own new ou team, as that felt like the way to counter it. Most of the time I like to use mons other people aren't using, but I decided against that for this team, which I could not keep up with XD anyway, let's get right into the mons, shall we?
I have said that Gliscor never dies to him, as a joke, so I figured Gliscor needed to be in the team!

Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic

it is a standard Gliscor set, with toxic for pressure, protect for heal+stalling out, earthquake for damage, knock off so Gholdengo doesn't
completly wall it... Speaking of Gholdengo, that is one of the counters of the team, as it doesn't have any pokemon that resist ghost moves. Gliscor is very weak ice and water, so I added...

Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Liquidation
- Haze

Toxapex works AMAZING with gliscor (if we do not look at the elephant in the room called freeze dry (looking at you Kyurem)) Toxapex also carries toxic, to spread even more status to the opposing team, recover for health, liquidation to not be a sitting duck and haze for the same reason. Tera fairy cause I say it on the wiki, otherwise I would have gone for tera flying, as I like to be immume to opposing earthquake. For those thinking: is he making a stall team? No I am not. The next mon proves that.

Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Tera Blast
- Substitute

I LOVE using iron moth, ev spread is so booster energy boosts speed instead of special attack. sub to have better chances in the 1v1 against Kinggambit. Tera ground to hit non air balloon heatran, galarian Slowking and opposing iron moth for super effective, although I will get one-shot by opposing Rillaboom after this.
I didn't like the matchup against ground types and psychic types, so I searched for a mon that could handle both, then I found this uu gem (yup, prepare for only one extra ou mon in this team)

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Luster Purge
- Aura Sphere

Draco meteor hits hard, and very suprisingly is this my best Skarmory counter. Luster purge hits skarm hard and gives a spc def drop, which wears skarmory down VERY QUICKLY. (40% on a resist sheeeesh) tera fighting to beat kinggambit in a 1v1. Don't really know if I should switch to latias, but probably should add tbolt for skarm if I want to do that.

I saw this team didnt really have a kinggambit counter (Gliscor kinda is, same goes for Latios, but they dont really count) so that's why I added

Jolly Nature
- Spirit Break
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Iron Valliant is my dark type+kinggambit counter. Booster energy to boost speed for an end game clean-up, swords dance to set up on some mons that cant ohko it, then Close Combat for main damage output, Knock off for Gholdengo and Spirit break for stab.

The last mon was my kyurum counter, because I really hated the matchup against Kyurum, but it doesn't work that well...

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Overheat

Will-O-Wisp cause burn is always nice, Volt Switch for pivot. This was meant to be my Kyurum counter, but it can't really fulfill that job, cause freeze dry does 25% and things like draco meteor or scale shot just obliterate it. Pain split for recovery, but I haven't seen myself use that...

I have noticed this team really struggles against Ogerpon-W, any pokemon that likes to spam shadow ball and extreme speed Dragonite, because after one dragon dance it basically ohko's everything, if it haves ice spinner on it.
You can swap out every mon except Gliscor if you would like, but Im really excited about what you think! Thanks for reading and thanks for helping for those who do!
Half your team is not even OU, what are you doing?
also rotom cant beat Kyurem if its something like specs draco meteor or ddance scale shot.
if you want a Darkrai counter, either go with kingambit if there is no fblast, or spdef clef or maybe zamazenta.
I'd say that a defensive tera type might be good on val.
and why not use kingambit yourself anyways?
sample teams can give you an idea of an optimal team, and your team will probably want some immediate source of breaking power like band zamazenta or specs dragapult/Kyurem.

Impish Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Liquidation
- Haze

Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Sludge Wave
- Tera Blast
- Substitute

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Luster Purge
- Aura Sphere

Jolly Nature
- Spirit Break
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Overheat

I loved that you had fun with the team, but I'm confused about whether you're going for a more offensive team since you have two boosters or a more defensive play style. It looks like a balanced team based of you have pex, gliscor, and rotom but don't run booster energy since it's a one-time item you can never use again. Boostor energy on HO and offense works since you don't care about the long game but balance does. Often wanting items that can be used all throughout the game like leftovers or boots. If are using balance, I'd replace:
:Toxapex: --> :Slowking Galar: Slowking is simply better. You already have a water resist with Latios and glowking pivoting with chilly is just a lot better to bring in your threats. I'd run tera water for kyruem tera ice beam and/ or blizzard bs, and walking wake sun.
:Rotom-Heat: --> :Ting-lu: Your team lacks both hazards and a way to ironically check both Gholdengo and Darkai.It just compresses a lot of roles for you and allows you to counter the darkai you wanted so much at the beginning
:Soul dew: :Latios: --- > :Choice Specs: :Latios: The team has no way of immediate power meaning good defensive cores on balance or stall make the match up hard. You get to keep the UU king you wanted while having immediate power on the team
:Iron vALIANT::heavy-duty boots: over :booster energy: Boots fits more on the this more boots spam team and just allows val to stay in the long game. I'd run tera dark and encore to ease the kambit match up even more and threaten Gholdengo even more. You could also run ice punch if you'd like to threaten both lando and Gliscor.
:Iron mOTH: --> I have no idea D: as of now but I would prob run a physical wall to help out Glisor defensively

Last edited:

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Hey there, fun team, I love the story of gearing up to beat one rival in particular. Very fitting for pokemon :D
While I don't agree that you totally need to scrap the team and switch every member, some of the other suggestions here I do agree with.
:Toxapex: -> :Slowking-Galar: this I agree with, Slowking is the much better special wall in the current meta. HOWEVER be aware that as you are dropping haze you will have to be more careful about opponents using you for setup. For this reason be sure to have thunder wave on your Slowking.
:Rotom-Heat: -> :Ting-Lu: Agree, hazards are great and Ting-Lu is a very solid tank that can do some damage with Ruination and phase with Whirlwind.

Since we are going bulky offence now a few different options over the ones above.
:Latios: Keep as is. Main benefit to this guy is being able to pressure switches with coverage and recover while doing so. I like your moveset.
:Iron Valiant: -> :Gouging Fire: This guy is your new best friend. Use a bulky setup and you will have a one two punch fire combo that can stand up to Kingambit with Morning Sun recovery. You will probably only want to switch him in once or twice but if you play it right he can win the game.

:Iron Moth: Tera Blast Ground -> Dazzling Gleam The man reason for this change is that it makes moth more of an early game hole puncher that gets a free sub on common leads like Ribombee, Dragapult, Iron treads, Deoxys, Rillaboom, and more. You probably won't want to tera this most of the time but if you do Fairy would be good.

Last thing to add is just be aware with these changes Great Tusk will be threatening to switch into but you have a lot of weapons against it. Dazzling gleam is somewhat unexpected, Latios has levitate so they might hesitate to click a ground move, and a defensive ting-lu can whirlwind out booster energy or bulk up variants. Overall now your team is bulky offense/balance with a strong double Fire and Double Dragon core offensively so focus on whichever member will sweep best and use the others to punch holes for it.

Here is a paste with the changes -> :Gliscor::Slowking-Galar::Iron Moth::Latios::Gouging Fire::Ting-Lu:

Hello! Thanks for the adjustments! I have tested it out ( https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2121291597?p2 ) and I have found out a few things:
Opposing Gliscor are a nightmare. My own Gliscor can't do enough damage to kill that thing and spike variant has more pp then me, so it can just pressure me to switch, thus it swords dance on Gliscor sounds like a good idea. I can see that switching to Latios is a good idea, but if it becomes toxic poisoned, it can't fulfill it role that well, plus it will even lose to gliscor if it has knock off, or if it is specially defensive. I have noticed people often switch gliscor into my gliscor, so swords dance in the place of earthquake, so I can threaten opposing Gliscor out.

I have noticed that latios is an amazing wallbreaker, cause it can even threaten Blissey out with enough spc def drops.
the free sub is also awesome on rimbombee
when I have battled my brother, I will post it here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)