Gliscor Offense [OU RMT]

Merry Christmas! *clapclapclapclapclapclapclap* Anyway I'm thinking of going to climb the ladder again soon just for fun but I need a good team to do that right? So I went and created a team based around Gliscor! I have not been battling and team building and stuff much, so this team might not be up to par, i dunno, but yeah, the whole team is basically built around prepping for a Gliscor sweep, so without further ado, onto the team! (Actually now that I think about it I should've made a Hail team to fit with the Christmas theme. And it fits my name. =D)

As with many other RMTs, changes in bold.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yanmega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Modest
EVs: 104 Def/252 SpAtk/152 Spd
Moves:
-Bug Buzz
-HP Ground
-Hypnosis/Air Slash
-Protect

Yanmega is cool. I mean, seriously, it’s bulky, can be faster than near anything via its ability, and has great special attack. Plus it could stall out rain and beat Ludicolo and dent other stuff in Rain Teams, which was cool since despite using Rain Teams a lot, I always found it rather hard to beat good ones bar extremely defensive pokemon and prediction. Max Special Attack hits harder than most expect. The Defense helps it survive priority attacks since with Focus Sash, Protect, and Speed Boost, the things that I expect to beat its speed are limited to really fast scarfers, priority attacks, and Ninjask. Third Move is undecided, since Air Slash is great STAB, and can hit Ninjask, Breloom, Heracross, etc. Hypnosis on the other hand can potentially leave me with one less pokemon to worry about on the opponent’s side.

How it aids Gliscor:
Not much, but it sleeps one poke, helps dent the opponent’s team, and prevents Rain Teams from completely whoring me.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Relaxed [0 Speed IV]
EVs: 248 HP/152 Atk/108 SpDef
Moves:
-Reflect
-Light Screen

-Stealth Rock
-Explosion

Bronzong sets up Stealth Rock. That’s its main role, and I chose it mainly for its bulk accompanied by its lack of weaknesses. Main Reason for its use over Jirachi, despite Jirachi being bulkier, i just can't get over the STAB gyro ball that was originally on the set, plus ground immunity and explosion. It's secondary role, which is also real good in allowing Gliscor to setup is to set down Dual Screens.

How it aids Gliscor:
Lays Stealth Rock to ease Gliscor’s sweep, contributes Dual Screens to ease setup and Explosion to take out one poke.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
Moves:
-Close Combat
-Megahorn
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit

Gliscor has problems with Porygon2, who sponges his attacks and hits back with Ice Beam, and Rotom Appliances, so I threw CBHera. Pursuit helps with Rotom Appliances, Close Combat/Megahorn is standard STAB combo, while Stone Edge is there for coverage. CBHera hits stuff hard as hell, so unless the opponent is going to switch in a resist, he’s going to take a hell of a beating.

How it aids Gliscor:
Beats Rotom Appliances, and Porygon2, as well as beats a lot of common WoW users.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Nature: Calm
EVs: 40 HP/216 Def/252 SpDef
Moves:
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Confuse Ray/Toxic
-Thunder Wave

Yay for Lanturn! It’s UU, but hell it boasts amazing tankish stats, and the ability to beat Zapdos. And the beauty of it is that Zapdos needs HP Grass to dent Lanturn, and if it has, then Gliscor will have an easy time against it. This is Bologo’s Lanturn, which is kind of the only significant Lanturn use in OU that I’ve seen, unless I missed something. The main reason I placed this here was to beat bulky waters, and give me a Zapdos check, as well as a fire resist and a reliable special wall. T-Wave/Confuse Ray is Parafusion, and it’s nice to have around since with Lanturn’s tankish stats, I should be able to spread some status around, but Confuse Ray might be replaced with Toxic so that I can do something to Swampert.

How it aids Gliscor:
Either this beats Zapdos or Gliscor beats Zapdos, beats bulky waters, spreads status to ease Gliscor’s sweep. Bronzong/Lanturn/Gliscor defensive combo, I guess.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 Atk
Moves:
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-HP Grass
-Explosion

Heatran provides a very nice Fire Immunity, so Lanturn doesn't have to take all the fire attacks, and gives me a very important Scizor check, so it can't wreck my team that easily. Flamethrower is here because I've taken a habit to it after accidentally staying in on another Heatran after I flamethrowered it, only to find out it Fire Blasted. I happily outstalled it and came out tops with a boosted Flamethrower to boot. HP Grass is to beat Swampert, but I find a lot of Blisseys coming into Heatran this way, so I tend to just go boom sometimes. Earth Power is standard Heatran killing, plus ground is a nice offensive type, and Explosion is sex incarnate it helps me take out one more poke to ease Gliscor's sweep.

How it aids Gliscor:
Kills Celebi/Skarmory/Swampert/Scizor, Booms on random stuff to take them out easing Gliscor's sweep. Provides Fire Immunity.

Gliscor @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
Moves:
-Swords Dance
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Gliscor has fantastic defensive stats and great attack and speed. Before talking about the pokemon though, EVs are all out offensive, with four in def to round down SR damage. Earthquake gives me really nice STAB, with Stone Edge for coverage. Ice Fang helps with Flygon who resists the other two, and 2HKOs Celebi and OHKOs Breloom, two annoying shits that might've ruined a normal tanking gliscor. SD turns Gliscor into super stud Gliscor, and pumps his attack to new heights, turning EQ into a freaking deadly move. It all comes down to this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

IN TESTING:
- SD Cross over CB Cross
- Scarf Magnezone over Scarf Heatran
- Vaporeon/Suicune over Lanturn
- LO Yanmega

Anyway, it's late now around my parts so I'm going off to bed, i'll post more about the team later, maybe threat list and stuff. Perhaps Santa will drop me a rate when I wake up. o.0 haha

First off, don't base your team around one sweeper, because if he gets haxxed and crushed, what will you do? Instead, I suggest having the priority of having Gliscor sweep, but make sure you have a backup plan.

How does Duggy revenge Zapdos if he can't trap it? Zap could just switch out, same with rotom appliances..

I would change your Dugtrio to a Scarf set to stop Agilipoleon, because when you're banded and he gets an agility, you'll be the one getting knocked out.

Anyways, I will say that I like your Yanmega lead, I tried it before and it's very fun to use.

merry christmas :)

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey.

Finally, someone else sees Gliscor's potential =). I want to be your friend now lol. Anyway, the team is well thought out and looks really balanced. I'm going to throw out some of my thoughts though.

I strongly suggest you use Life Orb on your Gliscor. I've used sweeping Gliscor a lot, and it really needs the extra kick that Life Orb provides. For example, without Life Orb, a +6 Stone Edge will do a maximum of 60% to Celebi, which is really not enough when you consider that Celebi has Leftovers, possibly Leech Seed, and can Recover stall you anyway. Similarly, without Life Orb, Skarmory takes a maximum of 61% from +6, which once again is not nearly enough.

You have quite a bad Fire weak, with 3 weak pokemon and only Lanturn to resist. Scarf Heatran could give you quite a bit of trouble, so I would change Dugtrio to scarf itself to guarantee the revenge kill. Although, apart from that Dugtrio contributes very little to the team overall - Gliscor rapes things like Tyranitar, Metagross, Jirachi and Tentacruel with its own Earthquake. I think a Heatran or a Tyranitar would do better in that slot. Heatran helps you against Celebi and Skarmory, which hinder Gliscor's sweep. It also helps with the Fire weak a lot, and adds some decent speed to an otherwise quite slow team. Similarly, Tyranitar takes care of Celebi, Rotom, and with some speed can take out Skarmory too. If you do go with Tyranitar, give it Aqua Tail > Earthquake to help with opposing bulky grounds. Oh, and change Gliscor to Sand Veil, as with a Life Orb, a +1 (after Intimidate) Stone Edge still kills Gyarados and Salamence with Stealth Rock.

That's about all. Good luck with your team.

LR.

I really need to update my Gliscor analysis. Anyway, for an all-out-sweeping Gliscor, this is your best bet:

Gliscor @ Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
*Earthquake
*Stone Edge
*Fire Fang / Ice Fang
*Swords Dance

Heres the deal, Earthquake is absurdly powerful after a Swords Dance (more powerful than Yache Chomp's EQ back in the day). In fact, with an Adamant nature, you have about a 50% chance of OHKOing Vaporeon after Stealth Rock. Jolly is still recommended for the speed though. Stone Edge slams fliers, easily killing Zapdos. The third move depends on what you hate more. Both will 2HKO Celebi at +2. Fire Fang 2HKOs Bronzong and Skarm at +2, while Ice Fang is more reliable for Salamence and beats Flygon, who resists everything otherwise. Both will 2HKO Celebi and OHKO Breloom, two annoying pokemon.

Pm received. Proceeding with rate. *robot noises*

Ok so this looks pretty good, but there are a few suggestions I have for you. I think you should change that gliscor to the the set RL suggested, and I also support the change of dugtrio to a scarfed version.

You also have a fairly large scizor weakness, which can be fatal as 95% of teams now carry scizor so...
I suggest changing Yanmega for a zapdos/rotom appliance to wall some scizors. As you said, yanmega dosen't do much, and bronzong makes a fine lead. Rotom would be useful for it's type coverage and threat of willowisp, while zapdos could be more offensive with LO and heat wave, thunderbolt,hp grass/ice, and roost.

Overall, a good team and I bid you good luck on your ladder climb. Also, Happy Holidays!

Thank you guys, i'll answer one by one.

@ darkartisan: well i expected duggy to help with Rotom Appliances with Pursuit/Sucker Punch, and just whack Zappy with SE or Pursuit if I predict switch out, but it's pretty extra for the team really. =D ScarfTrio sounds ok but I'm afraid of the lack of power, i'll think about it and also the backup plan idea thanks.

@ Legacy Raider: yeahhh Gliscor. Anyway, LO on Gliscor is a great idea, so I'll switch it, and change Roost to Ice Fang as per RL's set there and see if that works. About Dugtrio, i think i'll change it to Heatran, it does help me with Celebi and Skarmory, and can hit the Rotoms with powerful Flamethrowers, and all those other reasons, not sure about Sand Veil, but will try it out thanks for suggestions.

@ Raikoulover: Great offensive Gliscor set! love it, i'm changing right now. Nuff said.

@ chaos 9: That was a fast reply. coolness. =D anyway, I think i'll change Dugtrio to Heatran like LR suggested, helps with other heatran bar shuca berry ones, and it helps with Scizor also. Perhaps I can find some way to outplay him without Tran also, since if Lanturn is healthy he can survive +2 X-Scissor and T-Wave, forcing him into Quick Attack/Bullet Punch, then Zong can take it from there, though it will severely drop lanturn's health.

Okay, simply put, changes implemented were:

- Changed Dugtrio to Timid ScarfTran, adding speed for the team, and giving me Fire Immunity, plus Scizor/Celebi/Skarmory checks, and can dent Rotom badly.

- Changed Gliscor's set to a more offensive one

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, what the hell is up with everyone using Team Rater Signatures...I felt special with mine, now I need to get a new one. =[

Fuck it, I'm in a bad mood right now. Spending X-mas in Arizona, ._., first time on a computer since. Anywho, you say you want to use a team to climb the ladder, but you're using things that don't function very well in this current metagame, or are just gimmicky. Why would you build around a Gliscor sweep? I guess it's a nice suprise but seriously it won't be that great of a late game sweeper, or sweeper in general. Anyway I'll make a rate now.

First off on Yanmega if you're sashing, drop Hypnosis. You'll be missing anyway, so why bother. Best shot is just going for a flinch with Air Slash. ^.^ Also consider running a Life Orb on that, it's a kick ass late game sweeper, but with Scizor all over the fucking place, it won't get more than a few attacks off, still the damage it causes is really worth considering. If you run a Life Orb Mega than run Hypnosis, since you really -have- to sleep stuff that you won't be able to ohko.

Okay, this might sound a bit funky, but consider running a Dual Screen Bronzong. It'll make your life a lot easier when trying to set up for a sweep, and it will help out with that nasty mix ape weak you have going on. You could run a Screen Spike and Boom, or an attack in the last slot depending on your play style. The Boom gets your next pokemon in scotch free, but can come back to haunt you by losing a key defensive mon. Your set is fine as is, but I'm just saying that running this -could- make your life a lot easier.

Okay this next part will involve changing up 2 things. Choice Band Heracross and Choice Scarf Heatran. I suggest that you consider dropping Heatran in place of running a Magnezone. Choice Scarf Magnezone will help in 2 ways, clearing out the steels for Heracross + Giscor who both have trouble dealing with them. It will also give you some leverage when it comes to dealing with Lucario and Scizor, since both can be troublesome. HP Fire/Thunderbolt/Flash Cannon/Explosion should do the trick, netting you at least 2-3 kills a game. Next is your Heracross, I would consider running a MoP Cross, or just an SD Cross. With Magnezone taking out the steels during the battle, both your Heracross and Gliscor should have no problem just coming in and setting up. SD/CC/Stone Edge/Megahorn or Substitute could work fine, depending on which route you want to go down. I would probably consider the one without substitute as your first test option, as if all goes according to plan, you shouldn't need a sub.

Lastly I would suggest droping Lanturn for a Vaporeon or Suicune. Both of which just do better in this OU metagame. However, lanturn will help better deal with Zapdos as you stated, than both of them, bar Offensive Suicune. But your team really needs a defensive core, and I think both of which would offer a bit more to the table, consider testing these out before disregarding them. They may look a bit iffy on paper, but you never know till you actually give it a shot right?

This is a good team, and has a lot of thought put behind it. I hope I helped any, good night and merry christmas.

Also, seriously, can someone tell me what's up with the "I want to be a Team Rater fad?" It's kind of bothering me seeing a lot of people just rating for the badge. =/

there's....a....team rating....badge? I did not know that. Honestly i just wanted offer my opinion and snuffs, maybe i'll alter my signature a bit. i need to lurk more.

to be honest, LO Yanmega sounds real real real real real cool. And if like you suggested, I run Magnezone, Scizor just wouldn't be a problem anymore. I'll test it out, but i really fear LO's recoil.

Dual Screen Bronzong sounds cool, and wow MixApe really destroys my team. I think i'll stick it on, since it helps with MixApe, plus i can go with SR on it too anyway.

Heracross sounds good, I'll also test that, since it could be a backup offensive plan, plus it might gain from Lanturn spreading para around, if i stay with Lanturn, that is. Magnezone sounds good, but it would alleviate my fire weakness, plus Lanturn has no recovery, so i think if im going lanturn, i'm going to have to go with the bulky water you suggested, otherwise it's not going to be staying around very long.

i really like your comments, and i'll begin testing as soon as possible, but argh i'm busy all the way until the new year so not yet. anyway to sum it up, things i'll be testing are...

- SD Cross over CB Cross
- Scarf Magnezone over Scarf Heatran
- Vaporeon/Suicune over Lanturn
- LO Yanmega

Dual screen bronzong is kinda confirmed. Greatly appreciative of you doing the rate despite not being in the mood for it. thanks!

One more thing to mention. Gliscor can use Night Slash also. It can beat the Rotom Appliances, help with Cressy, and still beat Celebi.

Gliscor can be like Garchomp 8) with the attack from life orb and STAB EQ is always nice. That gliscors spread looks awesome btw =).I really think yanmega is useless why not use something like a ttar it seems like ttar and ss helps ur team alot =D. but just an opinion lol

I'd consider CBTar over CBHera.
It counters things like Heatran, Blissey, Zapdos, and the Rotom appliances better. The only advantage Hera has is the ability to absorb WoW, which is neutralized, since only PsychoCress and the Rotom appliances are burn-inducers, and most Rotom appliances are TrickScarfers. Even Rotom-W's Hydro Pump won't 2KO a CBTar with 176 HP EV's.

Plus, he aids Gliscor with Sand Veil active, which could save you in a pinch.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
You don't need Ice Fang on Gliscor, the dragons are dealt with by Stone Edge (except flygon who bronzong will deal with) and I would just advise switching out against Celebi. Replace Ice fang wiht roost, with the screens it should be easy to get a couple of SD's.

Give Bronzong an Impish nature and 31 Speed Ivs, your not using Gyro Ball so it isnt necessary to lower your speed.

Try out CB Tyranitar over Heracross, it will help you with Heatran who kind of troubles your team (I know Lanturn does okay but Earthpower is a 3HKO i believe? That means you can only switch in once safely.

You don't need Ice Fang on Gliscor, the dragons are dealt with by Stone Edge (except flygon who bronzong will deal with) and I would just advise switching out against Celebi. Replace Ice fang wiht roost, with the screens it should be easy to get a couple of SD's.
Well, Ice Fang means he can go for the OHKO on Breloom, the OHKO on Flygon, and the crucial 2HKO on Celebi without having to switch out. There is nothing wrong with a pure sweeping Gliscor :-D.

@Synral: CBTar sounds good, actually it kinda does the exact same things as Hera, just that burn scares me, plus im afraid of sandstorm reducing yanmega's usefulness, and negating Lanturn's passive recovery.

@panamaxis: with bronzong, yeah i got it, my mistake since i forgot to change when i deleted gyro ball from the set. The screens coupled with Roost do allow Gliscor to set up pretty fast, so it's settled, i'll test that and the offensive set, since both have their advantages.

@Raikoulover: I think Ice Fang would be a much better alternative to Night Slash, since with night Slash i'm kinda fucked by Breloom, which is irritating as hell, so im sticking with Ice Fang meanwhile.

I was thinking, maybe i should just scrap Yanmega and put Tyranitar in the lead spot, since it plus DS Bronzong plus Lanturn can help to play around Rain Teams, should I? Hopefully i can get an answer fast since some friends are coming over and I can take the oppurtunity to test this team on them,in lvl100singleslegithackmatch, and see how it goes. (probably the only testing i will do for about two weeks since im going overseas.)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band Tyranitar seems fine to slap over Yanmega if you'd like. It offers a lot more offense to the table and at least gives you an easier time with Stall teams in particular. As for the previous mentioned: Magnezone and a Swords Dance Heracross would do this team a lot. Scarf Magnezone is dealing with the pesky Lucario, Scizor, and other Steels that are commonly in OU. It's not so great against Choice-less Metagross, but it could be worked around I guess. Magnezone can at least kill a weakened one. Now for Swords Dance Heracross: definitely test the first and try to calculate things that will help activate the Salac Berry. Obviously you must have 25% health remaining, but Toxic and burn status will get you there a little faster with a boost. It's more of a suicidal sweeper, but it works very well.

Heracross @ Salac Berry
ability: Guts
nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
IVs: 30 HP
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ Megahorn
~ Stone Edge

MoPCross (Sub / Swords Dance / Megahorn / Stone Edge @ Salac Berry) also works, but I'd test the first to see how it works out.

With Magnezone / Tyranitar / SDHera in this team, a lot more threats are manageable. Tyranitar handles any Rotom-A that lack Will-O-Wisp (commonly the Heat variants). It also handles Zapdos for the most part, making Lanturn a little less useful IMO. I'd slap Vaporeon in here because this is giving your team a better chance against Gyarados, which could thrash this team around with a +1 Waterfall and Earthquake alone. Life Orb variant in particular. Using Hidden Power Electric and Surf, this should be easier to handle. Wish is good to have, and Ice Beam wouldn't be a bad consideration. With Dual Screen support, you can help Vaporeon absorb some of Salamence's attacks. Meanwhile, you're shutting it down with Ice Beam. This is up to you really. Suicune is fine too because it offers you more offense possibly with Calm Mind, so I recommend that if you'd like.

Unfortunately I'm just listing what everyone else has said because those are the best recommendations. But otherwise, this team will pull through with those Pokemon that I've listed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)