Glass Sword OU Sun/Sand Team

Glass Sword (OU Sun/Sand Team)

This is an offensive Sun/Sand team that I thought of while reading Jerp’s Arabian Knights! Sun/Sand team. I basically thought to myself “Hey, if Jerp can do it so can I!”
I started with tyranitar and ninetales because they were the foundation of this team.

I needed something to abuse the sun as well as the sand, who else but Heatran himself?

I looked over the possible choices and decided to use a Chlorophyll runner that is bulky enough to take a bit of sand damage if needed. So I went for Venusaur.

With stealth rock common as it is and with ninetales around I needed a spinner of some sort. Forretress? Naw too cliché plus I wanted a offensive spinner. Hitmontop? No, it needed to be immune to sand. Claydol? It’s not banned completely into OU for a reason. Then it hit me, my most favorite 2nd gen poke other then Entei: Donphan!

Finally I felt like needed something as a insurance towards things like toxic and other similar moves, plus I needed a filler member for now. I then decided to go for Espeon.

With my Glass Sword in tow I started battling with it and got mixed results and that’s where you guy’s here on Smogon come in!

Tyranitar@ Expert belt
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Adamant
Ev’s: 4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SP
Moves:
Rock slide
Ice punch
Earthquake
Crunch
This is my sand bringer and primary physical attacker. I mostly use this to break leads and give opponents a hard time. The reason I have Ice punch is to kill off dragons and grass-types. My only problem is I can’t decide between Expert belt for damage or air balloon for survival.

Ninetales@ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
Nature: Modest
EV’s: 252 HP/252 SPATK/ 4 SPD
Moves:
Flamethrower
Will-o-wisp
Sunny day
Solarbeam
I cannot wait until Rest/talk is available for me so I can troll people several times over with it. Anyway this is my sun bringer and secondary Special attacker. With Solarbeam/Flamethrower I can hit just about everything out there even if resisted, and sunny day is there for back up sun.

Heatran@ Air balloon
Ability: Flash fire
Nature: Modest
EV’s: 252 SPATK/ 252 SP/ 4 HP
Moves:
Flamethrower
Dragon pulse
Earth power
Hidden power (Grass)

Heatran is my most favorite competive poke of all time (however it can’t beat Charizard in epicness in my book). The idea here is to blast the opponent with all I got and hope for the best.

Venusaur@ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorphyll
Nature: Naïve
Ev’s: 252 ATK/ 252 SPATK/ 4 SP
Moves:
Growth
Energy ball
Hidden power (Fire)
Earthquake
Venusaur is my mixed sweeper and sun abuser. Venusaur strategy is to use growth once or twice (three or four times out of sun) and then move in to sweep. Also I cannot wait to get giga drain for this guy so I can use something else besides black sludge (which is to use against trick abusers).

Donphan@ Expert belt
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Jolly
Ev’s: 252 HP/ 252 ATK/ 4 SP
Moves:
Earthquake
Rapid spin
Fire fang
Ice shard
Donphan is my spinner and primary physical attacker out of sand or sun. Ice shard is for some good old priority and fire fang under sun is nice for me. I frankly think this is the best of my team at times.

Espeon@ Leftovers
Ability: Magic bounce
Nature: Timid
EV’s: 252 SPATK/ 252 SP/ 4 HP
Moves:
Psychic
Calm mind
Baton pass
Hidden power (fire)
Espeon is my set up passer and if needed it can use magic bounce to annoy people to no end (I have seen it happen believe me). Calm mind is the crux of this set and after using it I have two options: Either Attack with HP or Psychic, or baton pass it to my heatran, ninetales or venusaur. Either way Espy has a lot going for it.

And so that is My Glass Sword team. I feel like I need some changes to this team, However Ninetales and Tyranitar are permanent members and cannot be removed, due to their nature as weather summoners. You may rate if you please smognites!

Rain teams are going to eat through you. 4 water weaknesses and only one resist in Venasaur who is killed by ice moves, which is the second most common attack type on rain team pokemon.

You should use Stone Edge over Rock Slide on Tyranitar, unless the reduced accuracy from Stone Edge really bugs you.

You could use Lati@s to counter rain teams, but honestly you could play around that through smart switching with your dual weather.

Dual wearher is interesting, I wish you luck with your team!

You should use Stone Edge over Rock Slide on Tyranitar, unless the reduced accuracy from Stone Edge really bugs you.

You could use Lati@s to counter rain teams, but honestly you could play around that through smart switching with your dual weather.

Dual wearher is interesting, I wish you luck with your team!
Stone edge is not my idea of a reliable rock move and Latios may be my way out against rain teams.

As for Zero hour 17. I know rain eats me. That's why I put up this team in the first place. But thanks for bringing it out in the light.

I don't think it's a good to play Venusaur in a double weather team, because if loose Ninetaless, it's more difficult to use Venusaur.

You can use Latios with Hp Fire, for example.

Actually Venusaur is very useful even in sand even after ninetales dies (As long I have gotten rid of the opposing weather like rain and hail.) If sun is still up then happiness is here again.

You should try running volcarona instead of espeon. I used to run a set with bold/248hp/220def/34spe with leftovers that ran quiver dance/hpground/flamethrower/hurricane. That gives you some great insurance against rain teams, since most rain teams run politoed over swift swim and at +1 volcarona outspeeds everything and resists all priority not named Shadow Sneak. espeon seems nice to prevent toxic, but if you fear toxic you should just go to venusaur or heatran. while it might seems weird to run a fire-type against rain teams, it wont be taking much damage at +1 from things it isnt weak to, and at +2 it can outspeed and ko MOST rain dance pokes with hurricane. hpground is there for heatran, but given that you run heatran, donphan, and ttar, you could probably run something else for coverage. In addition, volcarona's flamethrower is insane in the sun, and most of your team seems to struggle against scizor (except for donphan). But given that scizor is so common, and volcarona resists bullet punch, bug bite, and superpower, I think you should try a bulky quiver dance set. I hope it works well for you team! It sure did for mine :3

You know you about gave a even better reason to keep donphan around! I'll probably use a timed nature with a offensive or a bulky set, I always wanted to try out this moth of awesomness

Hi there!

This is a cool team you have here, interesting use of Tyranitar and Ninetales on the same team. One thing I have noticed on your team, is the redundancy of Tyranitar. For a team that encourages a Venusaur sweep via bringing the Sun, Tyranitar seems kind of counter productive to your team. In situations where Ninetales is gone, you will want the Sun up to support Venusaur, meaning you will be hesitant about switching in Tyranitar. For all these reasons, I recommend you test a Choice Scarf Terrakion over your current Tyranitar. Choice Scarf Terrakion does a number of things for your team, most importantly, it provides you with a revenge killer. This can be very handy against a number of threats to your team, namely Volcarona who can be very problematic for your team. It can set up Quiver Dances and Morning Sun off the damage against a couple of your team members, while the others can't hit it hard. Tyranitar may be your best option, who will not appreciate a +1 or even +2 Bug Buzz. Terrakion easily solves this weakness, outspeeding Volcarona at +1 and revenging, stopping the Volcarona problem. Terrakion also brings a lot more offensive power to the table, you don't lose anything by choosing Terrakion > Tyranitar, except hitting Gliscor, which should be covered by a well played Heatran or Donphan.

I also think you should modify your Donphan set slightly. To me, there's no reason to run an offensive set when you already have enough Sun abusers and hard hitters already. On an offensive team such as this, you will have trouble taking hits from common threats such as Landorus, Terrakion, Gliscor, and other such physically orientated mons. Everytime you switch something in to take a hit, it's taking a good chunk on switching in. Donphan provides you with a Stealth Rocker, check to the aforementioned Pokemon and a defensive pivot. The Stealth Rock support is arguably more important than being able to catch a Ferrothorn off guard.

Like any Sun team, you will have problems with Dragons. Bulky variants of Dragonite can easily come in on Heatran or Venusaur and Dragon Dance / Roost until it can boost to the point where something is going to die. For this reason, I do think you should use Hidden Power [Ice] > Dragon Pulse. Hidden Power [Ice] hits Dragonite and Salamence hard, to the point where they cannot Dragon Dance anymore, this puts less pressure on Donphan, your main physical wall to deal with these threats. This also opens up a new moveslot over where Hidden Power [Grass] was, so you can run Roar, Toxic or even something like Will-O-Wisp in the fourth moveslot. Any of these makes dealing with stat boosting mons a lot easier, namely CM Latias who looks like a big problem as it can switch out of Tyranitar as it lacks Pursuit, and can set up against Heatran, Espeon, Ninetales and Donphan.

Cool team, hope I helped!

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Hi there!

This is a cool team you have here, interesting use of Tyranitar and Ninetales on the same team. One thing I have noticed on your team, is the redundancy of Tyranitar. For a team that encourages a Venusaur sweep via bringing the Sun, Tyranitar seems kind of counter productive to your team. In situations where Ninetales is gone, you will want the Sun up to support Venusaur, meaning you will be hesitant about switching in Tyranitar. For all these reasons, I recommend you test a Choice Scarf Terrakion over your current Tyranitar. Choice Scarf Terrakion does a number of things for your team, most importantly, it provides you with a revenge killer. This can be very handy against a number of threats to your team, namely Volcarona who can be very problematic for your team. It can set up Quiver Dances and Morning Sun off the damage against a couple of your team members, while the others can't hit it hard. Tyranitar may be your best option, who will not appreciate a +1 or even +2 Bug Buzz. Terrakion easily solves this weakness, outspeeding Volcarona at +1 and revenging, stopping the Volcarona problem. Terrakion also brings a lot more offensive power to the table, you don't lose anything by choosing Terrakion > Tyranitar, except hitting Gliscor, which should be covered by a well played Heatran or Donphan.

I also think you should modify your Donphan set slightly. To me, there's no reason to run an offensive set when you already have enough Sun abusers and hard hitters already. On an offensive team such as this, you will have trouble taking hits from common threats such as Landorus, Terrakion, Gliscor, and other such physically orientated mons. Everytime you switch something in to take a hit, it's taking a good chunk on switching in. Donphan provides you with a Stealth Rocker, check to the aforementioned Pokemon and a defensive pivot. The Stealth Rock support is arguably more important than being able to catch a Ferrothorn off guard.

Like any Sun team, you will have problems with Dragons. Bulky variants of Dragonite can easily come in on Heatran or Venusaur and Dragon Dance / Roost until it can boost to the point where something is going to die. For this reason, I do think you should use Hidden Power [Ice] > Dragon Pulse. Hidden Power [Ice] hits Dragonite and Salamence hard, to the point where they cannot Dragon Dance anymore, this puts less pressure on Donphan, your main physical wall to deal with these threats. This also opens up a new moveslot over where Hidden Power [Grass] was, so you can run Roar, Toxic or even something like Will-O-Wisp in the fourth moveslot. Any of these makes dealing with stat boosting mons a lot easier, namely CM Latias who looks like a big problem as it can switch out of Tyranitar as it lacks Pursuit, and can set up against Heatran, Espeon, Ninetales and Donphan.

Cool team, hope I helped!

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
Hm very good sets but I'll have to revamp it. So perhaps this was just the start of something amazing! Muhahhahahahahaha. Please have this thread locked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)