SS PU GIMME THE LEAF (SD Leafeon Balance)

GIMME THE LEAF (SD Leafeon Balance)

This team marks my first foray into the SS PU tier. I hadn't been playing Pokemon for quite a bit before making the team so I decided to get back into it by getting into a metagame that I'd never explored before. This team's purpose is to wear down the opponent's team with hazards, remove items with Knock Off, and break early game for SD Leafeon or Scarf Manectric to clean up late game. I have been testing this team on the ladder and I really like using it, so I decided to post it on RMT to try to get some criticisms and suggestions on how to improve this team.

Thought Process/Quick Analysis

I really wanted to build around SD Leafeon because Leafeon is one of my favorite Pokemon and it looked really good in the tier. Leafeon's speed tier meant it could outspeed a lot of threats and the combination of LO boosted Leaf Blade and Knock Off hits the whole tier really hard.

Next, I knew I wanted to pair SD Leafeon with hazards, specifically Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes, and I also knew I wanted a nice core to be able to deal with a lot of the common types in the tier such as Fighting and Psychic. Rocks Pawniard + T-Spikes Mareanie seemed like the most natural progression to me. They compliment each other really well as a defensive core and Pawniard allows me to remove eviolites with Knock Off and revenge kill threats with Sucker Punch, and Mareanie neuters potential setup sweepers like Dubwool and DD Fraxure with Haze. Finally, Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes wear my opponent's team down and puts them in range of my offensive threats.

I decided to round out my defensive core with specially defensive RestTalk Throh. The combination of Eviolite Pawniard, physically defensive Mareanie and Throh switches in to almost every offensive threat in the tier, and furthermore none of these three mons are passive setup fodder.

After rounding out my defensive core I wanted to add another offensive threat that can break for Leafeon late game. Mr. Rime is not only the best Pokemon in the tier but fits this team like a glove. He can spin away hazards and his dual stab hits threats that can survive +2 Leafeon hits very hard.

Finally, I wanted some momentum and some speed control on the team, so Scarf Manectric seemed like a no brainer. Manectric can Volt Switch around and pivot into Leafeon and Mr. Rime very effectively and it also gives me another late-game menace once the opponent's team has been successfully worn down with my 3 Knock Off users, Rocks and T-Spikes.

In-depth Analysis

Leafeon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

This Leafeon set hits a great speed tier, outspeeding a lot of key threats and breaks the entire tier extremely well with Leaf Blade and removes eviolites and other annoying items with Knock Off. Synthesis allows Leafeon to set up with Swords Dance in front of a plethora of Pokemon and not care. This set can be used to break early game, or it can be used to sweep late game, depending on the opponent's team. I opted for LO because it allows Leafeon to deal massive damage without the +2 boost, even though Leftovers would allow it to setup more easily. This Pokemon is a threat to almost every team, and with the rest of my team can easily clean a weakened team.

Pawniard (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Pawniard gives me a very reliable rocker for Leafeon, as well as a good check to the plethora of Psychics in the tier, such as Mr. Rime, Mr. Mime, Beheeyem, and Musharna. Adamant Knock Off hits very hard, and nobody likes to switch into it, especially with the abundance of Eviolite users in the tier. Sucker Punch allows me to revenge kill weakened threats very easily and Iron Head is good neutral coverage and hits Fightings that like to switch in to Pawniard very hard. Defiant means that teams do not feel comfortable defogging away my hazards (even though Defog is not very common in PU).

Mareanie (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze

Mareanie gives me the second half of the hazard stacking. Toxic Spikes are very important because they chip away defensive annoyances for Leafeon very effectively, and Mareanie's great defensive typing allows me to switch in to Fighting types and Haze neuters any potential setup sweepers like DD Fraxure, Cotton Guard Dubwool, and other threats. Mareanie switches into Pokemon that threaten out Pawniard and sets up T-Spikes on them, and Pawniard switches in to a lot of Pokemon that threaten out Mareanie and Knocks Off switch-ins or Sucker Punches to revenge kill.

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Throh rounds out my defensive core. It's ridiculously bulky (like it's not even funny this mon is stupid) and is great at phasing out setup sweepers that Mareanie can't deal with such as Shell Smash Crustle. Circle Throw and Knock Off along with provide great chip for Leafeon. The bulk allows Throh to take Multi-Attacks from Silvally while tanking hits from Specs Glaceon. The great thing about my core of Pawniard + Mareanie + Throh is that they're not passive. Pawniard hits hard and can remove items, Mareanie cancels out Setup Sweepers and sets up T-Spikes on pretty much everything, and Throh phases out Pokemon to get hit by Rocks and take poison damage while removing items.

Mr. Rime (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Screen Cleaner
EVs: 56 HP / 20 Def / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Psychic
- Slack Off

With my defensive core complete, I wanted to throw on a nice offensive breaker on the team with utility. Mr. Rime with Heavy-Duty Boots ignores the opponent's hazards and can spin them away, and Modest Freeze-Dry and Psychic hits the whole tier for good damage. Slack Off gives Mr. Rime more longevity, and I didn't really feel that I needed Focus Blast because I have Throh, one of the best Pawniard answers in the tier. Because I don't feel that I need to outspeed Pawniard, I really wanted to make Rime Modest and invest in some bulk to live Throh Knock Offs and other hits to deal with common fighting types more effectively. 216 Speed outspeeds Modest Glaceon, 216 Sp. Attack 2HKOs Specially Defensive Throh with Psychic, and the remaining bulk optimizes taking aforementioned Knock Offs from Throh, hits from Falinks, and just gives me a bit more cushion in general. Mr. Rime's main purpose on the team is to hit hard early game and prevent the Opponent from hazard stacking so Leafeon can have an easier time late game.

Manectric (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

Finally, Manectric fills a lot of holes in the team. I wanted some speed control and another late game option that wasn't Leafeon in the matchups where Leafeon is more effective early game. I also wanted a Pokemon that can switch into and punish Volt Switch spam, and a Pokemon that can provide me with good momentum options. Manectric gives me all of that. Overheat hits Pokemon like opposing Manectric, Raichu and Pikachu that can switch into Volt Switch very well and Switcheroo cripples Pokemon like Throh that take little to no damage from Manectric's special hits.

Conclusion/Final Thoughts

Overall, I am very happy with this team, especially for being my first SS PU team. One of the problems with this team is that Knock Off is a big threat for it. Fighting types like Throh in the tier often carry Knock Off, which cripples Mareanie, my main answer to those mons. Furthermore, strong Psychic-types like Beheeyem and Mr. Rime can really dent this team if I'm not extremely careful with Pawniard, which makes it harder to get Rocks up. Overall though, this team is very effective at executing its gameplan as long as you play carefully around the aforementioned threats. Some criticisms and suggestions as to how to improve this team would be greatly appreciated, as it's my first SS PU team so there are definitely things I missed!

Leafeon (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Synthesis

Pawniard (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Mareanie (F) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze

Throh (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 204 HP / 52 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Mr. Rime (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 56 HP / 20 Def / 216 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Freeze-Dry
- Psychic
- Slack Off

Manectric (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
hello ilikealpacas - nice team you have here. I'm glad that you chose to try out SS PU and get back into smogon/ps after your hiatus. Here are a few suggestions I think can improve your team:

Minor / Optional Changes:

:leftovers:
- I normally would suggest running silvally grass over leafeon on a team like this as it does basically everything that leafeon can do but better; however, since your team is centered around leafeon balance, its best that you keep it. I think you should experiment with running leftovers > life orb and substitute > synthesis on leafeon with a bulkier ev spread of 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Spe. This spread would create more set up opportunities against passive pokemon like stunfisk, beat counters like defensive mawile and gourgeist-super lacking foul play 1v1, and make it more difficult for priority users like first impression falinks and fraxure to revenge kill you. This suggestion isn't super mandatory or anything but I think it makes it a bit less outclassed by SD silvally grass if that makes sense. If you opt to keep max attack on leafeon, I would personally run lum berry > life orb for setting up more comfortably in front of toxic users like mawile and stunfisk.
Leafeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

- I notice that choice specs basculin is a huge threat to your team as its able to 2HKO every member with Hydro Pump; it also has a good chance to simply clean your team late game if manectric dies or gets chipped down enough into aqua jet range. Running a new EV spread of 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD on mareanie would be an easy fix and would allow mareanie to tank two Hydro Pumps after rocks, while also improving your team's match up against things like special heatmor after it removes your eviolite with knock off.
Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Scald / Knock Off
- Haze

Major Changes:

Galarian Form
- I would maybe consider switching mr. rime out for galarian mr. mime. While its true that mr. rime's bulk helps out more against Ice-types like glaceon and lapras, galarian mime's extra speed is much more appreciated for your team since its able to naturally outspeed and revenge kill threats like nasty plot gourgeist, basculin, and most silvallies. galarian mime also has similar utility as Rime here with hdb/spin + 3 attacks or the option of healing wish. If you do end up keeping mr rime though, I would suggest dropping slack off for nasty plot and running max speed evs with a timid nature to improve your match up against hazard stack teams with bulky walls like dusclops as their spin blocker.
Mr. Mime-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

- I would personally use a different stealth rocker like stunfisk with foul play over pawniard here given that your team is extremely weak to electric-types like silvally electric, nasty plot raichu, and opposing manectric. Stunfisk's ability to check the aforementioned threats, reliably set stealth rock, and prevent things like sd silvally grass and psychic from setting up comfortably on your team thanks to foul play, is absolutely huge considering that stunfisk is also a volt switch stop that can cripple grass/ground resists like shiinotic with toxic or yawn for members like leafeon, remedy your lack of speed control due to static + discharge, and shore up weaknesses to opposing sd pawniard and offensive mawile sets running thunder punch.
Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Foul Play

Importable:
Galarian Form
(click on the team!)

hope i helped! :psyglad:

Last edited:
hello ilikealpacas - nice team you have here. I'm glad that you chose to try out SS PU and get back into smogon/ps after your hiatus. Here are a few suggestions I think can improve your team:

Minor / Optional Changes:

:leftovers:
- I normally would suggest running silvally grass over leafeon on a team like this as it does basically everything that leafeon can do but better; however, since your team is centered around leafeon balance, its best that you keep it. I think you should experiment with running leftovers > life orb and substitute > synthesis on leafeon with a bulkier ev spread of 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Spe. This spread would create more set up opportunities against passive pokemon like stunfisk, beat counters like defensive mawile and gourgeist-super lacking foul play 1v1, and make it more difficult for priority users like first impression falinks and fraxure to revenge kill you. This suggestion isn't super mandatory or anything but I think it makes it a bit less outclassed by SD silvally grass if that makes sense. If you opt to keep max attack on leafeon, I would personally run lum berry > life orb for setting up more comfortably in front of toxic users like mawile and stunfisk.
Leafeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off

- I notice that choice specs basculin is a huge threat to your team as its able to 2HKO every member with Hydro Pump; it also has a good chance to simply clean your team late game if manectric dies or gets chipped down enough into aqua jet range. Running a new EV spread of 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD on mareanie would be an easy fix and would allow mareanie to tank two Hydro Pumps after rocks, while also improving your team's match up against things like special heatmor after it removes your eviolite with knock off.
Mareanie @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Scald / Knock Off
- Haze

Major Changes:

Galarian Form
- I would maybe consider switching mr. rime out for galarian mr. mime. While its true that mr. rime's bulk helps out more against Ice-types like glaceon and lapras, galarian mime's extra speed is much more appreciated for your team since its able to naturally outspeed and revenge kill threats like nasty plot gourgeist, basculin, and most silvallies. galarian mime also has similar utility as Rime here with hdb/spin + 3 attacks or the option of healing wish. If you do end up keeping mr rime though, I would suggest dropping slack off for nasty plot and running max speed evs with a timid nature to improve your match up against hazard stack teams with bulky walls like dusclops as their spin blocker.
Mr. Mime-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

- I would personally use a different stealth rocker like stunfisk with foul play over pawniard here given that your team is extremely weak to electric-types like silvally electric, nasty plot raichu, and opposing manectric. Stunfisk's ability to check the aforementioned threats, reliably set stealth rock, and prevent things like sd silvally grass and psychic from setting up comfortably on your team thanks to foul play, is absolutely huge considering that stunfisk is also a volt switch stop that can cripple grass/ground resists like shiinotic with toxic or yawn for members like leafeon, remedy your lack of speed control due to static + discharge, and shore up weaknesses to opposing sd pawniard and offensive mawile sets running thunder punch.
Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Discharge
- Foul Play

Importable:
Galarian Form
(click on the team!)

hope i helped! :psyglad:
Hey, thanks a lot for the suggestions! I really like Stunfisk combined with the new Mareanie spread to combat Specs Basculin, and I like that Stunfisk makes me team less weak to Knock Off overall. I have a quick question though, how would this new team deal with strong Psychic types like Beheeyem and Mr. Rime? Given that Mr. Mime is now my only Psychic resist and it's extremely frail, I don't really see how I deal with these mons at all, it seems as if they come in on mons like Stunfisk or Mareanie they just get a kill.

Thanks!

Reactions: TJ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)